Start by marking “Thomasina” as Want to Read:
Thomasina

Thomasina

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  742 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
"The beloved story of an enchanted cat and the lives she changed forever."

The well-known author writes about Thomasina the cat and her beloved Mary Ruadh, seven year old daughter of a veterinary surgeon. A novel in which Thomasina believes it is her story, but it is really the story of a lonely child.
Published 1957

To ask other readers questions about Thomasina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomasina

Pam
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a strange and amazing book about faith, compassion, love, and the power we have to save each others' souls. (All that in a book about a cat? Yes, believe it or not.) It starts out a little slow, but once the story was underway I really couldn't put it down. I loved the multiple perspectives, and there were several points at which I found myself in tears. Highly recommended, even if you aren't an animal person.
Lynden Rodriguez
This is my favorite book of all time. I also love the Disney movie version. I added this book to the "children" section, though it is a wonderful read for all ages, and especially for those who love cats.
Emily
Heartbreaking and beautiful, although the heavy handed God message portrayed in the book grated a bit, as did the accents of the Hillsmen, this is a book I could read again, and again, and love even more every time.
Linda
Nov 04, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: My television
It was my massive crush on Patrick McGoohan that drove me to read this book. But in those days, it was as far as I'd go to pursue an obsession. That and discreet swooning over wry men in double-breasted suits....
Bill Breckenridge
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book because it was about a cat. All of my writing involves a cat and I like to see how other authors handled cat stories. While I had a vague recollection of the film, I didn't know much more about the book,so all in all this was a bit of 'reading' research.

I wondered as I started to read whether this story would have made it to print in this day and age. Laying aside the portrayal of gypsies, which many would find objectionable, the sentence structures are, perhaps, too long and c
Carol
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book review written a while ago:
It was with a little hesitation that I decided to reread, what I remembered, a child's book. However after the first chapter I was hooked not only for the sentimental reasons but also by the compelling story of the little girl, Mary Rhuadh, that loved her pet,Thomasina, so.
Then the novel changed from a simple tale of Mary draping her pet around her shoulders to Thomasina's untimely death. Mary's father, Andrew MacDhui, is a veterinarian but he has no love for ani
Julie
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I realize this book comes off as a little surreal and even difficult to some people, I still would recommend it to anyone.
I'm not even a cat person. Seriously. At first I thought the cat's self delusions (or memories whatever you want to call them)about being divine a little weird, but as I got more into the story I began to find it rather a musing. It is an interesting idea at any rate that is almost a fable to explain why cats come off as so conceited. I suppose if a cat really did re-
Christina
Oct 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I absolutely loved this book. I always loved the movie as a little girl, but I hadn't watched it in some time. On a whim, I decided to buy it a couple of months ago. When I watched it, I noticed something I never had before. . ."Based on the book by. . ." I went online pretty much the second I saw that and I bought a used copy of it. I could NOT set it down. It went everywhere with me.

I believe Paul Gallico has a different style of writing than most people are used to today. . .and I can see whe
Sheryl
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Paul Gallico. He really has insights into cats. This was a marvelous read about cats, people in different relationships.
Beth
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"'Have you ever seen an angel, Lori?"

'I have heard their voices and the rush of their wings.'

Mr MacDhui felt himself suddenly filled with an unaccountable sadness, the sadness that results sometimes from a forgotten dream, or some hidden hurt to the soul that is touched off by something accidental or ordinary in life."

One of the joys of reading is coming across a book that is pure joy and considered a classic by many other readers, but that I've somehow never heard about or had a chance to read
Drommende_atom
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So, here's the story. As a child I saw a movie based on this book. And it was Russian, not a Disney's one. I was amazed. I managed to find it on YouTube, if of course it'll do any good.
It's called "Безумная Лори" (Bezumnaya Lori / Mad Lori). And if you can get any subtitled version - go and see it. Keeping some recollections, very warm ones, I haven't seen it ever since, but one day I found a book on a shelf in the bookstore. Here's my twitpic where th
Jc
Mar 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul Gallico's tale of Thomasina, the cat who lives who must die to fully experience her life, was the subject of one of my favorite early 60s live action Walt Disney films (The Three Lives of Thomasina). Starring the wonderful Patrick McGoohan (one of my favorite male stars at the time) as a veterinarian, Karen Dotrice (of Mary Poppins fame) as his daughter whose ill cat he doesn't have the time to treat, I loved this film. A great young-adult novel too, with some dark moments to thrill a young ...more
Gloria
Mar 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Well, most definitely what I would call an old-timey style of writing and story… and still delighting me after having forgotten the details of it completely. However, I think I will still stay with my three-star rating (which is what I had given it based on the memories and not the details)… probably because I have greater overall love for his Mrs. 'arris books… but he does write brilliant as if he were a cat....

Jessica
Jul 29, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, 2014
Awesome things about this book:
-It's about a cat. I love kitties.
-It is sometimes narrated from the cat's perspective. Gallico did a GREAT job getting the cat personality down.
-It's a cute story.

But why did I do three stars instead of five? Honestly, I just don't see myself reading this one again...
Shannon Winward
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A favorite from my childhood. Really hard thing for a 10/12-year-old American girl to decipher dialog in accented Gaelic, but I doggedly pushed through it and reread it within a couple of years. For a bookworm with a constant list of to-reads, anything worth reading more than once is golden.
Amy
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Warning: Thomasina, the titular feline, dies—at the beginning. Her death sets off a dramatic tale of human redemption, in which her resurrection plays a part (though not as big a part as you'd think given that her name comprises the title). All in all, a good, if not wildly fantastic, read.
B0nnie
Sep 30, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Jane
The book (and the movie) always freaked me out as a kid.
Jaimeelynn768
Jul 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, about a cat that really does have nine lives, always makes me cry. It's such a sweet book. I can't wait to read it with Allayna.
Meredith
Mar 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Along with Old Yeller, Call of the Wild, White Fang, Charlotte's Web, the Snow Goose, Gentle Ben and Trumpet of the Swan, all part of my adolescent animal-based literary fantasy world.
Erssie
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Don't be put off by the film, this is a wonderful mysterious book for cat lovers.
Bridget
Jun 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Can't really address why I didn't give it the full five stars because I wouldn't want to give anything away.
Lynda
Jun 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and the movie.
Paul
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much as a kid I named one of my cats after it.
Anna
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
One of the best souvenirs of my childhood...
Robin Yaklin
Read this when I was a child. I remember liking it, but no specifics.
Beth
May 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
The first book to make me tear-up in years....Maybe I'm just too sentimental?
Deborah Valentine
Made me laugh and made me cry - and had that touch of mystery that is so irresistible.
Joey the J in R.J. Spindle
A good book. I liked how the author was not so concerned with what faith a person has so long as they have faith in something greater than themselves. It was a point well illustrated, and definitely left out of the classic Disney flick which prompted me to read this book. I grew up watching the movie, and as soon as I learned there was a book I HAD to read it. I am not sure if it's something I'll tackle again. I would recommend it to people who enjoy cats. Gallico definitely knows cats. I'm inte ...more
Movie? 1 11 Apr 14, 2008 08:30PM
  • Impunity Jane
  • Mr. Revere and I: Being an Account of certain Episodes in the Career of Paul Revere,Esq. as Revealed by his Horse
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Hotel Cat
  • Granny's Wonderful Chair
  • The Golden Name Day
  • Honestly, Katie John!
  • The Best Cat Ever
  • The Starlight Barking (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #2)
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • Cats Are Not Peas: A Calico History of Genetics
  • The Fur Person
  • Pinky Pye (The Pyes, #2)
  • That Darn Cat (Undercover Cat#1)
  • The Autobiography of Foudini M. Cat
  • My Mommy Is In America And She Met Buffalo Bill
  • Carbonel: The King of Cats (Carbonel, #1)
  • Mr. Maxwell's Mouse
92064
Paul William Gallico was born in New York City, on 26th July, 1897. His father was an Italian, and his mother came from Austria; they emigrated to New York in 1895.

He went to school in the public schools of New York, and in 1916 went to Columbia University. He graduated in 1921 with a Bachelor of Science degree, having lost a year and a half due to World War I. He then worked for the National Boar
More about Paul Gallico...

“Ha ha! How do you like my storm?” 2 likes
“God I have been - God I am. But quite frankly, sometimes it is all just a little too much for one small cat.” 2 likes