Start by marking “The Good Shepherd” as Want to Read:

The Good Shepherd

(Dr Power #3)

The Good Shepherd is a tense psychological
thriller. This is the third novel in the Dr Power
and Superintendent Lynch series.
Dr Power, a consultant psychiatrist is asked to
report to the Coroner
on the life and death of Dr McAdams, whose
body has been founded drifting in the Sea.
Power comes under pressure to label the death
as suicide, but suspects that the dead
scientis
Paperback, First, 238 pages
Published February 24th 2015 by Createspace (first published February 21st 2015)

Start your review of The Good Shepherd
Julie Brown
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Very evocative book. Moved me to tears at times.
Why?
The body count is huge.
The evil forces ranged against Power and Lynch are immense, have limitless funds and employ an assassin that revels in his work.
Dr Power discovers that a team that have worked to rid humanity of a great scourge (malaria) is about to be annihilated and chases the assassin to the ends of the earth and then realises that he (Power) is next on the assassins list…
Throughout the book Greene weaves the motif of the G
Natasha
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book through GoodReads First Reads

I made the unfortunate decision to start reading this book before I went to bed. I was hooked from the first paragraph and stayed up WAY later then I should have before I finally reached a place where I felt it was 'safe' to put the book down.

The characters are people you will want to know in real life - the situation is something that you could very well see playing itself out on the news any day know. A thriller with its roots very
Andrew
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those who like a fast paced crime thriller
The story opens on a boat belonging to Dr Fergus McAdam.

'Now the disc of sea included the windswept rocks of the Welsh coast and the empty boat nudged its lonely course ever closer to land towards the mouth of the River Dee'

Dr McAdam is, or should I say was, a research Scientist. He worked for a multi-national pharmaceutical company called Howarth-Weaver. We soon learn that McAdam's body has been discovered. Why is he not on his boat? Is his death due to a natural cause or is it suspicious?

We
Tracey
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read! Psychiatrist, Dr Power, becomes entangled in the death of a pharmaceutical researcher. Is it suicide, as his employer suggests, or is there something much more sinister at play?

Hugh Greene has obviously done a huge amount of research for this book. The depiction of working in mental health services is absolutely spot on! The pace of plot was gripping, and makes me want to know what is next for Dr Power and Superintendent Lynch. The illustrations were fantastic, and really
Pat Rosenberg
Apr 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
an excellent read, loved it
Kay Smillie
I received this book from the author with grateful thanks. This is an honest review.

The cover of this book is so beautifully detailed by Paul Imrie. I would've picked this up in a bookshop to study closer.

Power and Lynch are a formidable duo. They bounce ideas off each other and there is an unspoken trust there. When Power has a 'Columbo Gut Hunch', Lynch has faith in him - almost as strong as his own faith. I like that both of them stand up for what they believe in.

Power travels the world and f
Annette
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Good Shepherd by Hugh Green was a Goodreads First read win.

I was attracted by the cover of this book, which I thought it very striking and enigmatic. I was pleased to see other illustrations in the book, not the usual format for adult fiction.

I wondered if the target was young adult, because of the illustrations, and the clear writing and story line. The writing was easy to follow, descriptive and parred down to essentials without a lot of superfluous words. The plot was topical – is medica
Marc Williams
Mar 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book in a Goodreads first reads draw.

It is a very enjoyable and intriguing read. Well-written, it evokes the spirit of the times,the mid-nineties. Just before Tony Blair comes to power,mad cow disease is starting to make an appearance and not everyone has an e-mail address yet (Do you remember such a time?)
The story builds well with excellent attention to detail paid to the places that the main characters visit. The work environments feel authentic to the time and place suggestin
Jean
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as part of a Goodreads win. I enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and I felt the book was well researched. It was the 3rd in the series, so I would recommend reading the others in order to get a better grasp of the characters, but I still found it readable.
Brian Boyle
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Another entertaining read in the Power/Lynch series. If anything, I felt the author could have spun it out a bit longer, as I was quite enjoying the tension. If I had a quibble, it's just the some of the characters get brought in and then written off a little too perfunctorily for my liking.
Cal Littlehales
Intriguing book, not my usual choice of genre. Very fast paced story which I feel I would have enjoyed at a more leisurely pace. I could see this book being adapted for a TV drama.
John Naylor
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reading a series of books in the wrong order can present a problem. I might be remiss in adding things from book 4 here but I will try not to be.

I love this series. The author has a gift for writing characters but even more so, places have personality in everything he writes. This goes from Cheshire to America to Peru to Shropshire. Each place has its own personality. Some of them represent humanity better than some authors can using people.

The story is definitely bigger than book 2. It shows th
David Crosby
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was quite a good read. A little insubstantial overall, but fast-paced. I say insubstantial, there were plenty of locations and plot, but it felt like it could have benefited with some extra detail and more time spent expanding the interesting (non-main) characters. I did like the ending, a good way to wrap up a global issue with a solution-to-be. Recommended for a quick read.

I received a copy for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Lindsey Rojem
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Surprisingly good, found a few characters weren't wrapped up as much as I would have liked, but the plot was very gripping and fast moving.
Jane Willis
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hugh Greene does it again! Another great read from the Power and Lynch stable. I'm getting very fond of these two unlikely team-mates now. As the series develops, we can see what a strong and loyal bond of friendship the two men have formed, despite vast differences in their characters.
This time, Power is asked to give evidence as a psychologist for what seems to be a pretty routine suicide inquest, but instead voices such strong doubts about the likelihood of suicide that the coroner returns a
Catherine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Good Shepherd by Hugh Greene
I was very pleased when I received this book from a Twitter giveaway by the author. I had already enjoyed both The Darkening Sky and The Fire of Love. Dr Power and Superintendent Lynch appear in all three novels and it is fascinating seeing their friendship evolve.
Again, there are murders to be solved, and this book is different inasmuch as a large global company is very much implicated. The ending is neat, but plausible, and there are still a few loose ends to ti
Dave
Aug 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to author Hugh Greene for this FREE Kindle copy of The Good Shepherd. And thanks to Goodreads for hosting the opportunity.

I liked it. Nice set of characters, entertaining story that is well paced with an interesting ending. Held my attention throughout the book. Nice cover, and a nice touch with the periodic drawings by Paul Imrie within the book.

A few items I thought held this one back from 4-star:

1. Felt as though the story and some characters were not fully developed.
2. Conversation
Lynda
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Evelyn Wilson
Dr. Power is so cool! And his friend Lynch is just as cool. I could have sat and read this book from start to finish if I could have found the time. Set in England but Power travels! I thought Power was kind of slow in realizing he was in danger until the sharp pizza knife. The ending is also shocking.
Barbara
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started reading this book and thought ok I am going to like this. But a quarter of the way through I realized this was not novel writing, it felt like I was reading a script. I read on to the half way point but could not connect with author.
NarniaGirl
Aug 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Received through GoodReads First Reads for reviewing - thank you.
Enjoyed this. Great pacing and very readable.
Ginny
Apr 21, 2020
Pat Kidd
Mar 25, 2018

• The Summer House
  • Shadows in Death (In Death, #51)
  • Death at Whitewater Church (Inishowen Mysteries #1)
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon #20)
  • Treacherous Strand (Inishowen Mysteries #2)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • Intimations
  • The Green House
  • Eden
  • The Carolyn Factor
  • Lights on the Sea
  • Cherry Cheesecake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #8)
  • A Heartwarming Romance Collection
  • The Distant Dead
Hugh Greene was born in Chester and is a scientist and author. He has published numerous peer-reviewed books and scientific papers and brought his experience working with the police and victims of crime to bear on the popular Dr Power novels. He lives in Cheshire/Shropshire.

Dr Power (5 books)
  • The Darkening Sky
  • The Fire of Love
  • Schrödinger's God (Dr Power Book 4)
  • Son of Darkness: (Illustrated Edition)