Start by marking “Oaken (The Underground #1)” as Want to Read:
Oaken (The Underground #1)

Oaken

(The Underground #1)

When 17-year-old Autumn Oaken and her twin brother Luke find their parents brutally murdered, they are soon summoned by their grandfather who lives not in another city, but in another world called the Underground—home to all magical creatures seeking refuge from humankind.

The twins journey into the Underground, discovering that they are not only elves, but “royals”…and th
Published March 17th 2015 (first published March 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Oaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oaken

Melody Robinette
Mar 18, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I won't rate this book seeing as how I wrote it...but I will say that this is my first book and because of this, it will always hold a special place in my heart.

As a writer and a woman, I strive to write strong female characters who are also flawed, and I think Autumn Oaken is no exception. She wants to help everyone and make others happy even when it means sacrificing her own happiness, which can be both a good thing and a tragic thing that gets her and her friends into trouble.

The Undergroun
Sep 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: terrible
I wanted to like this. I really did. I thought the premise sounded intriguing. But the writing style was a complete turn-off. Incredibly juvenile and bland, the narration caused me to put the book down halfway through chapter 7. An excerpt:
" 'Arbor Lake.' Crystal said. 'It's where everyone our age goes for fun. And school starts back Monday so I'm sure nearly the whole school will be there.'
Luke's eyes lit up. 'Will, uh, will there be girls there?'
Crystal giggled. 'Of course, and I'm sure they'l
Vaun Murphrey
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The bad guys/girls have my first name as their last name = biased.

I've always had sympathy for the villain. I think they're the most interesting and tricky.

Due to the name alone I may cheer for the Vaun's versus the Oaken's.

Autumn Oaken grows in this first installment but when she's weak she makes me want to pull out my hair. Her very weakness allows some of the plot to move forward and causes preventable tragedy. When she's strong and stands up for what's right I'm inclined to whoop, "Finally
Caffeine & Legends
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oaken will take you on a magical adventure that will you never want to come away from. Melody Robinette's dangerously addictive writing style will hook you, and string you along to the very end of the story. At the end, you will be left feeling like you were thrown back into your own life, but leave you wishing you could dive back into the world this author has created.

In this book lies a world that crosses the boundaries between the surface, and the Underground. It follows a cast of characters
Elizabeth Jane
This was a enjoyable read with refreshing changes from other elven-centric paranormal novels: 1) The elves and other magical creatures live in a hidden world (the Underground) away from humans. 2) They all have a Power that presents itself during adolescence. 3) The elves are not immortal but are very skilled at the healing arts. And 4) Warriors are chosen every five years from a slew of applicants which can include royals. I'm giving this novel 3.5 stars because the dialogue was more juvenile a ...more
Raea
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016-challenge
I struggled to finish this book. It was an easy, light read, but the characters were ... Shallow? Underdeveloped? I don't know how to explain it. The characters said the things you'd want them to say to be likeable, but yet it seemed forced and cheesy. Maybe it was because the characters were exactly how you expected them to be. I don't know. Overall, the book was just ok. I won't read the next one. I give this 2 stars.
Rene Averett
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok
While I didn't see anything indicating this was a YA novel, it definitely was and read like it was. I personally think it was geared to younger teen readers than most of the YA's I've read that can hold adult readers as well as teens. It started off well, then bogged down for a long time for me. It perked up at the ending, but I doubt I will continue the series. I think young teens will enjoy this book though. In many ways, it feels like a variant on "Harry Potter", only featuring elves.
Michelle Hillstrom
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Very well written story with lovable characters. I grew quickly attached to each character which caused me to read the whole book in twelve hours. I had to keep reading to find out what the characters were going to do next. I think this book has a little something for everyone -- adventure, fantasy, action, and romance. I can't wait to read the next book
Sofia Sundfors
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
DNF 64%
I know I was warned about the lovetriangle, but I thought to give it a shot anyway; and in the beginning this book was great, it just didn't maintain that level of intrigue for me. Sorry, but I don't feel the need to know what happens to these characters or how the story end, which is way I DNF at 64%.
Patricia Burleson
Jun 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great

I loved this book didn't want it to end. It has strong characters and a great story line. There is magic, mystery, elves, action and love. You will be transported to another place as you read. So grab it you won't be sorry and enjoy reading.
Megan Matthews
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read

I enjoyed the book a lot surprisingly ... It's a bit face paced and I felt a bit rushed but overall worth a read
Lena Friesen
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Wonderful book! Filled with great characters and a new world! I loved reading about Autumn and The Underground. I can't wait for the next book!
Meghan
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I know this is going tobe a series that hooks me. Its going to be another harry potter for me, as in I fondly reread it every year, think of the characters often, and quote the books.
Meredith Dohanyos
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read, didn't want to put it down.
Monica
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Excellent read! Loved it! Well developed characters and plot. Strong female characters that wonderfully balance out the male characters.
Mike Groos
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good fantasy coming of age

This is a fun read with likeable characters. Nice twist toward the end. I intend to read more of the series.
Elaine
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well I didn't really expect much going into this book. I picked it up for free on kindle and was hoping for a nice read, nothing too fancy. When I started reading this however I fell in love with the characters and the world. Although this book has it's flaws, it is still a fun, fast paced story about 2 siblings who find themselves in a strange new world. I highly recommend to check this out, since it is free on kindle and see for yourself if you like it. I myself have already picked up the next ...more
phyllis
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Elfish Twins

Autumn and Luke Oaken find their parents murdered and have no idea why. When their grandfather summons them they first nd themselves in another world. A magical world called the underground. There they find out that not only are they elves, but, they are royalist. They learn to be warriors and defend the kingdom. The biggest threat is Vyra and her followers, fortunately they each have inherited strong powers to fight with.
PeculiarAce
The second book to be added to my cant finish pile. I'm so sad! I wanted to like it. I really did. Boo :(
Al Canary
Jul 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-before-fin
Nat my genre...
Stefani Lara
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book, if you're into fantasy. It's the first book in a series, and my copy of the second book has just arrived. Can't wait to start.
Sam Splade
Jun 21, 2015
Karson
Aug 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Night of the Fae (Ana Martin series, #1)
  • Witch Sense: Part One
  • You Don't Know Me (XGeneration #1)
  • American Ghoul
  • The Last Knight (Pendragon, #1)
  • Crimson Dahlia (Svatura, #3)
  • Lives Entwined: A Reverse Harem Contemporary StandAlone Novel
  • Heir of Pendel (A Pandoran Novel, #4)
  • Snow White (Grimm Curse #3)
  • Renegade Valkyrie (Valhalla's Curse, #1)
  • Karmic Justice (Child of Fate #2)
  • Brimstone (Forged by Magic Trilogy #1)
  • The Stillness of the Sky (Flipped Fairy Tale #2)
  • Jane Unwrapped
  • Broken Hearted Ghoul (Taxi for the Dead #1)
  • Unbound (Havoc Chronicles, #2)
  • Twelve Days of Faery (Shards of a Broken Sword #1)
  • Dagger Heart
I write in coffee shops. I edit in coffee shops. I live in coffee shops. Why, hello there! I am Melody Robinette, a 27 year old writer who is married to an amazingly handsome man and has two super fat cats. I've been writing since the age of 15, getting my start on The Sims games. I would take screen shots in the game and write a scene to go with it. Then I came up with my first book and started w ...more

The Underground (4 books)
  • Alex and Azalea: Prequel to the Underground Series
  • Ash (The Underground #2)
  • Alder (The Underground #3)
“Before Everything” 0 likes
“In retrospect, Autumn could not have chosen a worse night to get drunk for the first time. “So, you’re” 0 likes