Start by marking “Stürmische See (Star Trek: Titan, #5)” as Want to Read:
Stürmische See (Star Trek: Titan, #5)

Stürmische See

(Star Trek: Titan #5)

Der Planet Droplet ist eine Welt, die hauptsächliche aus Wasser besteht, ohne den kleinsten Flecken festen Bodens. Hier sollte es kein Leben geben, dennoch gedeiht es. Aili Lavena, die aquatische Pilotin der Titan, führt die Erforschung dieser geheimnisvollen Welt an und stellt sich der Gefahr des riesigen, wilden Ozeans. Eine der einheimischen Spezies entpuppt sich als em ...more
Published January 8th 2011 by Cross Cult (first published March 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Stürmische See, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stürmische See

Start your review of Stürmische See (Star Trek: Titan, #5)
Jerry
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good space opera...but a bit too much sexual content.
Lars
Apr 21, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Over A Torrent Sea is without question the worst Star Trek novel I've read since returning to the books after David Mack's Destiny trilogy. Set after the Borg Invasion of the Alpha Quadrant, the U.S.S. Titan led by Captain Riker resumes its deep space exploration and discovers an aquatic world (kind of like the one Voyager visited in the season 5 episode Thirty Days). Except this oceanic world is filled with truely bizarre but intelligent alien creatures. The crew sets out to try and communicate ...more
C.T. Phipps
Oct 04, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a great fan of Christopher L. Bennett's work. He's one of those rare authors who attempts to take Trek technobabble seriously, which seems a bit like trying to roll Sisyphus' boulder, yet somehow manages to make things make semi-coherent sense. His Department of Temporal Investigations books incorporate a lot of RL physics to make Star Trek's "time travel runs on the power of plot" almost plausible.

Over A Torrent Sea is the first Star Trek Titan book to take place after the events of Star
Robert Murphy
This is the eighth book in a series on Captain William T. Riker and his wife Counselor Deanna Troi's new ship, the USS Titan. Unfortunately, this is not a good place to come into the series, and I was quite a while orienting myself to the extremely diverse crew. (Unlike TV shows and movies, where having 99% humanoids saves on the budget, this series takes advantage of the book medium and has a crew with very few humans.)
Also very unusual, this book has a setting extremely difficult to pull of i
Adam
Mar 28, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Over a torrent sea - not for me.

What have I just read? I’m not sure I could even summarise it. I’ll be honest and say I read the first 150 pages and skimmed the rest of the book. Did I miss anything? Probably not, but maybe sometime can tell me if I did.

I’m not really sure why I hated this book so much. It began ok, with an interesting new planet and characters I knew well from the previous books. From then, I couldn’t get into it. I found the pace too slow and the story so uninteresting and n
Michael
Following the events of "Star Trek: Destiny," Captain Riker and the crew of the Titan are sent back to the original mission--exploring strange new worlds and seeking out new life and new civilizations.

Early on in Christopher L. Bennett's "Over a Torrent Sea," the reasoning for sending Titan back out on its original mission instead of staying behind to rebuild the Federation is laid out in a fairly believable manner.

Then it's on to the planet of Droplet, a world made of mostly of oceans with a u
Ash
Christian
I have to admit the book was a bit boring. It is a nice idea to set up the story on a waterplanet but I had to fight till the end. I put the book several times away but I want mostly to finish books. So I read it till the end. The other Titan books are much better.
Crystal Bensley
A bit slow in parts but I really love the crew of Titan and its exploration focus!
Christopher
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John
Dec 21, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Donald Furrow-Scott
It's OK, typical Star Trek plot. Not a great one, but certainly not bad.

I heard and saw the familiar characters in the author's words, so good job there. There are science-heavy ST stories, and then like Droplet in this book, pure heavy science. That difference is similar to the difference between the movies "The Abyss" and "Sphere". If you are into that level of science for enjoyment reading, then you might really like this book.

After hundreds of ST episodes, we're trained to look for humans, t
Claire
Jul 30, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wayland Smith
In the Star Trek: Destiny series, the Borg returned and shook the Star Trek universe. Now, everyone tries to get back to normal, and the Titan gets back to exploration. Captain Riker and his crew find a water planet, but unlike most that are called that, it's all water, no land.

As you might imagine, this makes for a unique culture, and there are a lot of misunderstandings as the crew try to communicate with these new people. Nothing goes completely smoothly, and there's the fairly standard Trek
Jess
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Bennett's other Trek books have spoiled me. The others of his I read this year were expertly plotted and well paced and all the known characters seemed just right. Riker, Troi and Tukok seem their typical selves.

This one seemed a little rushed. I don't know why. Maybe it's all those sections (mostly in the middle) that broke the show not tell rule. I think he sort of got so lost in creating such a weird new planet that he sort of lost track of the story. Or was ordered to tie up or inc
F. William Davis
Oct 19, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was something special about this one, the character development seems to be centred around mental health and it was particularly fascinating in Tuvok's case. Not just fascinating though, I thought it was lovely.

Although the story is about a familiar type of alien planet (water world) and the song language is not very original, the drama was fabulous. I docked a star from my rating for way too much sexy talk, but if I'm being fair even this seemed to be handled better than in other Trek no
Eadrinor
Not quite as good as the other Trek novels I’ve read recently, but I liked the environmental theme and characterization. I would have preferred less time devoted to explaining Aili Lavena’s sex life and more on the plot.
Bill Winzenburg
Not a bad story at all, but the other reviews are correct when they say the descriptions get pretty wordy. If you enjoy very detailed descriptions and technobabble, you'll love this book. If not, it's fairly easy to skim past those descriptions and still enjoy the ride. ...more
Hundred Pic
A catchy title and lovely cover art unfortunately cannot save this dull, marine-biology textbook. Read my full review here: https://scifibooks.club/reviews/star-... ...more
Sunknight
I kept waiting for something exciting to happen until the end of the book. Way to bogged down by relationships and emotions. Too much like a soap opera set on a Federation Starship.
Jamie
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It can feel a wee bit slow in parts, but overall a decent book. Been around 5 years since I last read this book
Tony Pope
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's pretty much a given...if it's a Star Trek novel...I'll like it... ...more
Joanna
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one and the other one by this author were the best in the series IMHO
Yuvi Panda
Feb 18, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best in the Titan series. They have developed Lavena very well here
Valerie Montero
A Star Trek episode

This book was basically an episode of Star Trek. They go to a planet, get into trouble, and have to get out of it. Next to no connection to the wider universe.
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Star Trek books set on exotic planets, namely because the authors have a knack for making me feel like I'm there. This one featured Ensign Aili Lavena as she headed up the away team exploring the water planet Droplet. With no land masses to speak of, Lavena was the perfect one to literally explore the planet's depths. As a mature Selkie, she's fully aquatic and the only crewman able to check things out without needing a shuttlecraft or diving equipment.

Lavena's initial foray into Droplet
Angela
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek-tng
The crew of the Titan find an unusual water planet. They decide to investigate, and things get very complicated. Deanna is due to give birth very soon, and Tuvok is dealing with the death of his son. The world is very interesting and unusual. The truly alien feel to it is well realised. It concentrates mainly on the aquatic member of the crew and who she really is. There are some great character moments. A good read.
Dan Gilman
Feb 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
While I loved the idea of Over a Torrent Sea, it really failed to flesh out much of anything, while touching on everything. It really did seem all over the place, Aili Lavena, Troi, Riker, Ree, Cetenthe, Melora and a few more have story lines running concurrently, it plays out much as an episode of Star Trek would, but it seemed rather negatively so.

The main theme running throughout is relationships, inter-personal, planetary, and add to that a "Prime Directive? LOLWUT!?" attitude and you see ti
Jimyanni
May 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Some reviewers seem to feel that there was either too much exploration of the emotions of the Titan's crew in this novel, or that those emotions didn't ring true for them, or that that aspect of the story seemed too soap-opera-ish for their taste. I didn't find this to be the case; for the most part, the emotions seemed reasonable and legitimate to me, and where they didn't strike a perfectly harmonic note, the circumstances and the explanations given seemed to me adequate to justify the slight ...more
Jarrah
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
A solid addition to the Titan series. After the epic events of the Destiny trilogy, Titan is back to exploring new worlds, specifically a water-covered planet called Droplet. Selkie Ensign Lavena gets a starring role in this book as she uses her physiological and linguistic similarities to Droplet's lifeforms to make first contact and manage the consequences.

I enjoyed Bennett's imaginative and detailed world-building in this book, although at times it made the plot move a little slowly and part

• Fortune of War
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Seize the Fire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #2)
  • Losing the Peace
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Rough Beasts of Empire (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #3)
  • Paths of Disharmony (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #4)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • Zero Sum Game (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #1)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Body Electric (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #3)
  • Silent Weapons (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #2)
  • Raise the Dawn (Star Trek: Typhon Pact, #7)
  • The Eternal Tide
  • The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)
Christopher L. Bennett is a lifelong resident of Cincinnati, Ohio, with a B.S. in Physics and a B.A. in History from the University of Cincinnati. A fan of science and science fiction since age five, he has spent the past two decades selling original short fiction to magazines such as Analog Science Fiction and Fact (home of his "Hub" series of comedy adventures), BuzzyMag, and Galaxy's Edge. Sinc ...more

Star Trek: Titan (10 books)
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Orion's Hounds (Star Trek: Titan, #3)
  • Sword of Damocles  (Star Trek: Titan, #4)
  • Synthesis (Star Trek: Titan, #6)
  • Fallen Gods (Star Trek: Titan, #7)
  • Absent Enemies (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Sight Unseen (Star Trek: Titan)
  • Fortune of War

News & Interviews

“TUVOK!” The lights were gone, only the emergency illumination remaining, but it was enough to let Deanna see that the Vulcan was sprawled motionless on the floor beneath the office table, his head coated in something dark and glistening. She couldn’t see color, but she knew it was green. “Oh, God.” She struck her combadge. “Medical emergency, Counselor Troi’s office!” Maybe emergencies, she thought as she felt her insides heave and she vomited up her last meal onto the carpet. She couldn’t tell through the inner turbulence if the baby was still kicking. “Sickbay, acknowledge!” Nothing. “Computer!” She began dragging herself toward Tuvok. “Where are you, you stupid computer?” But that voice, the one that reminded her so maddeningly of her mother, remained silent. “Somebody!” 0 likes