Start by marking “Long Journey Home: Stories from Black History” as Want to Read:
Long Journey Home: Stories from Black History

Long Journey Home: Stories from Black History

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  37 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Book by Lester, Julius
Published February 1st 1988 by Scholastic (first published December 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Long Journey Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Long Journey Home

Gale
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: black-history-ya
VIGNETTES OF HUMAN SUFFERING AND NATIONAL SHAME

Julius Lester has written 6 stories about the Black struggle for personal and political freedom--an innate desire in all mankind.
His style is direct and engaging; readers immediately understand and sympathize with the motivation and emotions of the various protagonists, suffering their setbacks and sharing their dreams.
Highly readable this anthology presents a diverse group of settings and eras, all bound together by the natural wish for freedom of
Rey Gallegos
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long Journey Home, the Author of my book is named Julius Lester. This book is a bunch of little short stories. I like this book because it shows a little bit of history. Like what black people had to go through to get there freedom. I've noticed that in each story that the main conflict is that slaves running away, and trying to get to Canada. Without trying to get caught by there slaveholders on the way. The main characters in the are Louis, Ben, and Rambler. Ben, Rambler, and Louis's stories h ...more
Tamara Bennett
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
found this bk in a thrift store some time ago. should have read it then & not waited.
its a simply written bk for pre-teens, but a very powerful emotional one. didn't realize until I was ready to read it that all 6 stories are true. Courageous & inspiring ppl who were slaves (1 was a former slave).
HeavyReader
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This book contains six fictionalized stories of true events in the lives of people formerly enslaved in the United States. Some of the formerly enslaved people escaped from slavery by running away from their masters and some were freed after the Civil War.

This book was intended for middle school readers, but the storytelling is sophisticated enough to hold the attention of adults.

“Enjoyed” may be the wrong word to describe how I felt about reading these stories, but I am glad I read this book.
Greg
Jul 06, 2015
Sam Blustein
Nov 30, 2012
Rasinta Fajarina
rated it did not like it
Feb 01, 2015
Naomi Anderegg
Jun 17, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was born on January 27, 1939 in St. Louis, Missouri. From 1941-1954 I lived in Kansas City, Kansas, and from 1954-1961 in Nashville, Tennesse. I received a B.A. in English from Fisk University in 1960.

In 1961 I moved to New York City where I had a talk radio show on WBAI FM from 1966-1973, hosted a television talk show on WNET from 1969-1971.

Since 1968 I have published 43 books. Among the awards
More about Julius Lester...