Start by marking “Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman” as Want to Read:
Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman

Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman

Harry Truman was a man of common sense and uncommon insights. In this frank book, the thirty-third president of the United States speaks directly about the office of the presidency, about the best and worst presidents, and his own experience holding office.

Nearly every page contains a "Trumanism" - an unexpected insight, a little-known anecdote, or a pithy piece of wisdo
Published February 4th 2015 by New Word City, Inc.

Start your review of Where the Buck Stops: The Personal and Private Writings of Harry S. Truman
Jim Dulin
Nov 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical analysis by a a hard working President

I enjoyed this history of our presidents by the only President from my state, Missouri. I am from a historical Union and Republican since part of the state. While President Truman didn't carry his own state against Dewey, he has since been appreciated as one of the best presidents. This book should be required reading in public school American History classes.
Richard Baum
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truman's Own Words

I've read numerous Presidential books but of all of them this might be my favorite. President Truman pulls no punches and you know exactly where he stands when he discusses Ike, FDR, and others. He also shows an excellent knowledge of history and a keen intellect. This book is a hidden gem!
Debbie Jacob
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Nothing like a history lesson from Harry Truman. His light touch and personal reflections on all the presidents provide much insight into Truman's mind revealing his feelings about leadership and success. A very enjoyable read.
Donna L. Andrew
Jan 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Harry Truman my hero

President Truman is honest and straightforward. Good history lesson. Loved the footnote explanations from daughter Margaret. Enjoyed his listing of the best and worst presidents and his explanation why.
Darryl Downing
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good old Harry

I had often heard that Harry Truman was a straight forward person who spoke plainly and clearly. This book certainly authenticates that. I was clearly impressed with his understanding of leadership and the qualities one needs to be a leader. Truman was definitely a Democrat and perhaps a liberal one, but I wonder what he would think of the Democratic Party these days and their platform. I love his style of writing and his practicality which comes through in this book. He had to ma
Huston Jacobs
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
History, according to Mr. Harry Truman

I chose this rating because Mr. Truman read a great deàl and carefully vetted the books he describes so well in this writing. He knew a great deal about the history of this country but not in just events. He also took time to portray the people involved and made them stand out as living, breathing, humans who had all the foibles that we, as citizens and countrymen and women ,share.
Sondra Stark
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very interesting historical synopsis

Truman was very obviously a thoroughly educated man despite his "just a common man" persona. I would wonder how he would have reacted to our current political situation.
Dorothy
May 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Frankly, I might get back to this book, but I stopped reading. I really didn't care for the writing style nor what I was learning about this president.
Don Male
Well done. Took me back in time when living under his leadership.
Jean
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: history
nancy Adams
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honest Harry

What an enlighting book on the presidents and a brief history of some of the event's surrounding the elections of the executive branch
suzanne berman
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
History

Not only. Did I enjoy this book thoroughly but it helped me to refresh my history regarding past presidents and growing pains of our country.
Chaplain Stanley Chapin
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very interesting

There were a number of facts mentioned that helped bring to light events and situations that happened that I was previously unaware. He was definitely one of our better presidents, but felt he also let his dislike for Ike diminish a otherwise good history recall
rjd
Jul 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truman

Excellent . Truman was an easy author to read. His words flow easily and innovatively. I greatly enjoyed this book
Marie Kuchynski-Burdick
Oct 27, 2018
Cindy
Feb 02, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• An American Bullet (The Whicher #3)
  • Oliver Cromwell
  • Spy
  • The End of Glory: War & Peace in HMS Hood, 1916-1941
  • Advanced Techniques in Day Trading: A Practical Guide to High Probability Day Trading Strategies and Methods
  • Music Theory: From Beginner to Expert - The Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide to Understanding and Learning Music Theory Effortlessly
  • Learn to Trade Momentum Stocks: Make Money with Trend Following
  • Letters to the Church
  • The Quintland Sisters
  • William Pitt the Younger
  • The Lost Vintage
Harry S. Truman was the thirty-third President of the United States (1945–1953). As vice president, he succeeded Franklin D. Roosevelt, who died less than three months after he began his fourth term.

During World War I Truman served as an artillery officer. After the war he became part of the political machine of Tom Pendergast and was elected a county judge in Missouri and eventually a United Stat