Start by marking “Tracer (Outer Earth #1)” as Want to Read:
Tracer (Outer Earth #1)

Read Book

Tracer

(Outer Earth #1)

Imagine The Bourne Identity meets Gravity and you'll get TRACER, the most exciting action thriller set in space you'll ever read.

A huge space station orbits the Earth, holding the last of humanity. It's broken, rusted, falling apart. We've wrecked our planet, and now we have to live with the consequences: a new home that's dirty, overcrowded and inescapable.

What's more, th
Published July 16th 2015 by Orbit Books (first published July 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Tracer, please sign up.
Rob Boffard Sorry for the delayed reply! I sure hope so. The folks at Orbit are working on making it happen.

Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Have you ever read a book and thought: “ this is a good book, but I just can’t seem to like it?” That’s how I felt about this book. I mean I found it well-written, had a story that should have interested me, but I just couldn’t for my life GET interested in it.

I was so conflicted about the book that I just kept on reading hoping it would get to a point when I felt the familiar likening feeling of the book and in a way it came, just a bit too late I fear. The ending was good, it was then I felt f
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/07/04/...

Tracer is a novel that has been on my to-read list for a while, especially after author Rob Boffard wrote a fascinating and chilling guest post for The BiblioSanctum earlier this year. I had the ebook, but when I learned that the audiobook version would also be released alongside the print edition in the US, I decided to go ahead and give it a listen.

The first chapter opens with an introduction to Riley, a young woman wo
Liz Barnsley
Blimey. I say that when I read books like Tracer. It is so exciting you find yourself yelling out and occasionally tearing your hair out in clumps. Ok not literally but you FEEL like you are, I certainly came close.

Tracer is a fast paced thriller set in space. It has some brilliantly drawn characters, a beautifully imagined environment and will be the best fun you will have with a book all year. This was one of those reads that invoked a terrible annoyance in me every time I had to put it down.
Maryam
Tracer is a space post-apocalyptic thriller. Earth has been uninhabitable for centuries now and people live in a space station called Outer Earth.

Riley Hales is one of Tracers. They are unofficial couriers who deliver packages not caring about contents. She is one of the most reliable tracers. One day, she is on her way to deliver a package to Oren Darnell, Outer Earth’s most dangerous man, when she is suddenly attacked by a group of gang members. When one of the gang member take a look at what
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
12/8 - I thought this was intense and action packed. I loved the inclusion of the parkour moves into the life of a tracer and that the title actually comes from the word, traceur, for one who practices parkour.

The descriptions of the space station came though very clearly for me and made me feel quite claustrophobic. I'm fine with small spaces as long as I know I can go outside (I'm not an outdoorsy type of person, but I need to know it's there should I decide to take advantage of it) and the id
Sandra "Jeanz"
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
INITIAL THOUGHTS
I wasn't totally sure about this one when Clara told me about it, but my daughter said she thought I might enjoy it, so I decided to give it a go. I wondered if it would be like Beth Revis' Across the Universe or Amy Kathleen Ryan's Sky Chasers series which I thoroughly enjoyed. I was hoping it wouldn't be like Star Trek like or Star Wars like because I tend to find those types of book/TV Show a little boring, and a bit mind numbing too. So I'm hoping this is a more character led
Carly
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi, netgalley
I absolutely love scifi that creates worlds that are grungy and derelict rather than shiny and perfect. A bit of grime makes the futuristic technologies feel familiar and mundane, which in turn adds a vividness, that is absent from the standard spotless, hygienic scifi space stations. This added sense of tangibility was one reason that I was so excited to read Tracer. A decrepit space station hovering above a destroyed earth? It sounded like the perfect environment for a fast-paced, gritty thril ...more
Agnieszka "Aeth" Jędrzejczyk
I'm inclined to give it 1 star, but seeing as I didn't technically hate it - I just really didn't like it - I can go with 2 just as well. The problem here is that as much as I liked the premise, I wasn't particularly interested in discovering what happens next. I got bored around 35% and practically forced myself to finish the rest. I haven't found anything or anyone - much less the main protagonist - to root for, which is pretty surprising considering the amount of action and intrigue. The lang ...more
Book Riot Community
It’s the future, and what is left of the now-uninhabitable Earth is orbiting the planet inside a rundown space station. If mankind doesn’t find a new place to live soon, it’s lacy, gently wafting curtains for everyone. And as if the pressure of extinction isn’t enough, there’s also a villain aboard the space station with destruction on his mind. It’s up to Riley Hale to stop the chaos on the ship before it’s too late! I love this books tagline: “In space, every second counts. Who said nobody cou ...more
Brian Stuart
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
I feel like this book is the platonic ideal of a 2-star novel. Its not awful. I mean, I finished it, even if a bit grudgingly after a point. There are even some really neat ideas here, but they are so underwhelmingly executed that I can't even rate it as mediocre. In a way, the suggestion of promise made it even more disappointing to me.

That promise is on full display in the early going. The writing is propulsive, perfectly befitting the somewhat gimmicky parkour premise. As the book reaches the
Sam Whitehouse
Rating 5/5
Action is one of my favourite parts of a book. I like reading a novel that feels like I’m watching a movie, but is also well-written, has solid characters and a gripping plot. Getting all of those things in a book isn’t easy. But Rob Boffard manages it in Tracer.
Tracers carry things from location to location on Outer Earth, a huge ship that carries all that remains of the human race. They’re like postmen, only sometimes the things they deliver aren’t exactly legal. Riley is a Tracer,
Book Haunt
Earth has been destroyed and is uninhabitable. The people who live on a space station called Outer Earth are the only ones left. Outer Earth is overcrowded, worn down and rife with gangs. They scrape to find methods of employment, food and other goods.

Riley is a Tracer, a member of the courier group The Devil Dancers. They spend their days delivering packages of unknown goods and the number one rule is you don’t want to know what you’re carrying. When Riley gets accosted by a gang who is trying
Stefan Fergus
Tricky one to rate - I read it quickly, I liked the overall plot, etc. But I had a little difficulty engaging with the characters. More action-based than character-focused, in my opinion. Which is by no means a bad thing - there are plenty of times when I prefer something like this, but I don't know if I was in that mood when I read this. I'll be really interested to see what Boffard writes next. Shows great potential.
Megan
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my full review on my blog: http://pitchblacksky.net/review-tracer/

I'm just going to start off by saying, "Holy. Freaking. Crap." That's how good this book is. I was hooked from the very first page! It's so fast paced and there's action on every single page. If you're a fan of sci-fi or dystopian novels, do yourself a favor and please, please read this.
Kate
An entertaining SF action thriller.

Chris
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
*Copy from Netgalley in exchange for a review*

Tracer is a sci-fi dystopian novel, packed with action, wrapped around some interesting characters.

The narrative centres around a slowly decaying space station, Outer Earth. The last bastion of humanity, perpetually orbiting a world eternally marked by cataclysm, its creaking environs are one of the stars of the text. The author has created a claustrophobic world, one in which merely existing is a struggle against entropy. But it’s also a world that
Rinn
I received a copy of this book for free from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review. Also posted on my blog, Rinn Reads.

Recently, I decided to give The 100 another shot. I’d given up on it by episode three when it aired on television, but I was in the mood for that sort of science fiction. I devoured both series in a matter of weeks, and I was still hungry for more. Then I saw Tracer on Netgalley, auto-approved for me, and grabbed it.

And Tracer satisfied that hunger pretty well! It begins w
Dave
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tracer is a *huge* amount of fun, a thrill ride of action-packed sci-fi that you don’t see too often. It’s set on a massive space station containing the remnants of the human race, a million souls crammed into an 18-mile long metal ring. It’s tense and claustrophobic, overcrowded and dirty out there in space, and you feel every bit of it.

The action comes thick and fast and frantic. Right from the start you’re along for the ride with Riley and the rest of the Devil Dancers, a crew of tracers – fr
Tony Evans
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The characters were well written and in depth. A homicidal maniac is running the station and all hell's broken loose which keeps the Tracers on the run throughout the whole story.
Justin
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
If I could sum up my major grievances with Tracer in one sentence, it would be this: The villains have all the motivations of angsty teenagers who just discovered Greenpeace. Their rationale is literally: "Mankind ruined the Earth, so we don't deserve to exist anymore," followed, one would presume, by a rousing couple of Linkin Park songs with the volume cranked up to 11. But while that covers the biggest problem, it doesn't really paint the full picture.

Sure, humans in this book literally kille
Sean Franco-Norris
This book was provided by Redhook Books through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Tracer was such an exciting read! The prologue was kind of vague. I didn't really understand the point of the prologue to be included until I got more than halfway into the novel, I finally understood what the prologue was all about. At the beginning, I actually was nervous I would dislike the book, but it turned out to be one of my favorite books. It had a lot of adventure. It reminded me of a movie calle
Heather Duff
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is constantly on the move, the characters are constantly running, it really is exhilarating as well as making me feel unfit.

Riley is a tracer, a courier who takes packages, letters, pretty much anything you want across her home, a giant space station which holds the last of humanity.

It has been in orbit for many years, Earth is uninhabitable so the remaining population lives inside the massive, decaying station, squashed together, living in squalor but they have the best scientists, i
Cathy Bryant
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a joy, in this era of shoddily written, shoddily published fiction, to find such a wonderful SF thriller: well-written, well-edited and well-published.
The plot is a humanity-in-jeopardy from psychopath thing, but it's so beautifully worked out and the characters so consistent and the set-up so well constructed that it's a pleasure to go along for the ride. And it's a wild ride - loads of fighting, running, jumping and struggling, with tears, love and betrayal along the way, all with inventi
Maureen
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I first read about ‘Tracer’ I was immediately excited to read this book. It just sounded like a very exciting, thrilling and different book and I was looking forward to start reading it. The cover is simple but definitely grabs your eye.

In ‘Tracer’ we meet Riley Hale, Oren Darnell and Prakesh Kumar. Three very different characters who all life on the spaceship called ‘Outer Earth’. When Earth was destroyed years ago, some people created ‘Outer Earth’ a spaceship with all the necessities fo
Nuno Magalhães
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: todos os aficionados de Ficção Científica
Gostei muito de le este livro. Se apenas pudesse ler um livro de Ficção Científica este ano, então este seria a minha escolha. Entretanto, já saiu a continuação (Zero-G) e no final de Agosto sai o último livro da trilogia Tracer (Impact). Confesso que gosto tanto de ler os clássicos como de ler novos autores de SciFi , tal como este Rob Boffard.

A ideia subjacente ao livro não é nova (a ação decorre numa estação espacial, último reduto da humanidade , em órbita da Terra, numa versão pós-apocalípt
Fiona Wilson
Tracer wasn't what I thought it was going to be if I'm totally honest. But it proved to be far better than I imagined it would be.

Tracer's are people who find things, deliver things, and who try to avoid being followed or having their precious cargo stolen by rival gangs. Riley is the main protagonist and, in fact, the character who finds herself at the forefront of the action. And there is a lot of action!

Riley's 'journey' takes her to places she didn't think she would go. She discovers a lot o
Rebecca
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
From beginning to end, Tracer is a fast paced, action-packed, no time for idle chitchat kind of book. It reminds me of a stock Hollywood blockbuster with impressively choreographed fight scenes, explosions, a bit of romance, and a maniacal bad guy. In other words, it's good for a bit of entertainment. Don't come here looking for fleshed out characters or a meticulously drawn world; this is a plot driven novel. Of course, I couldn't put it down.

I love the premise. A centuries old space station or
Jamie Sawyer
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
First things first: I share a publisher with Rob, and we've met and such like. There's an extract of my debut book ARTEFACT at the back. That doesn't stop me from writing a fair review though, so here goes.

TRACER is a non-stop thrill ride of a book, with interesting characters and an engaging plot. There's lots of jumping and running and excitement along the way; it's an active book which draws you along. I'll be glad to follow Riley in future books, and I enjoyed this one a lot. Good stuff.
Stark
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tracer is an absolutely RELENTLESS thriller: constant action, always on the move, so if you're into fast-paced, headlong page-turners, this is for you. I raced through it in a couple of days; the short chapters mean it's easy to keep reading just another, then another...

Some excellent, visual world-building setting up the atmosphere, tone and way of life on Outer Earth, while still managing to keep the pace tightly controlled. A great thriller / SF crossover and a confident debut.
Lara
This begs to be filmed. Give me someone not-white as Riley (her mom's last name sounded Pacific Islander), that cute doctor from iZombie as Prakesh, and Viola Davis as Janice! Then, parkour and explosions on a space station.
  • The Cold Between (Central Corps, #1)
  • Quantum Night
  • Inherit the Stars
  • Poison City (Delphic Division, #1)
  • Way Down Dark  (The Australia Trilogy, #1)
  • Doctor Who: The Death Pit (Time Trips)
  • Our Lady of the Streets (The Skyscraper Throne, #3)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy, 2014
  • Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe
  • Behind the Throne (The Indranan War #1)
  • The Hunt
  • Theatre of the Gods
  • Yesterday's Kin
  • If Then
  • The Very Best of Fantasy & Science Fiction, Volume 2
  • The Happy Ever Afterlife of Rosie Potter (RIP)
  • The Red: First Light (The Red #1)
  • Dark Run (Keiko, #1)
Rob. Thirty-one. Author. Journalist. Sound Engineer. Snowboarder. Hip-hop artist. Tall. Basketball-player-length arms. Lots of tattoos. Glasses. Bad hair. Proud South African. Born in Johannesburg. Splits time between London and Vancouver. Digs New York. Doesn’t dig Vegas. Loves New Orleans. Not a helicopter pilot.

Debut novel. Tracer. On Orbit Books. Out now. Space stations. Parkour. Explosions. G

Outer Earth (3 books)
  • Zero-G (Outer Earth #2)
  • Impact (Outer Earth #3)