Start by marking “The Fairy's Tale (The Pathways Tree, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fairy's Tale (The Pathways Tree, #1)

Read Book

The Fairy's Tale

(The Pathways Tree #1)

Librarian's note: This is an Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B00T3E9QL8.

Bea has one week to find a Happy Ending - that is, if she isn’t arrested for treason first…

Enter the world behind the stories, where ‘Happy Endings’, ‘True Love’ and ‘Rags To Riches’ are all just a means to an end – and a promotion. Here we meet Bea, a cabbage fairy who dreams of being so much more.
Published February 21st 2015 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy's Tale

Melissa
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction, romance
Never Enough Books Logo

I don’t think there is a person around today who wasn’t raised on fairy tales in one aspect or another in their childhood. No matter what our background, we were all exposed to these tales as children and as adults. And while the stories themselves might have different casts of characters and different settings, the end results were almost always the same with lessons learned and love found.

The Fairy’s Tale takes us behind the scenes of the stories; asking the question, what if the events in th
Amy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. It took a while to get into it but worth reading and I will redo read the next one x
Gemma
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The story is interesting, i just couldn't get into it properly, because the jumping back and forth between characters was very abrupt. Took me forever to finish it.
Nick Rippington
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cinderella has never been so dark and devious. Garden Fairy Bea has ambitions to be a Fairy Godmother and help bring about happy endings. Unfortunately, in a world run by the Fantasy version of Big Brother, things soon begin to go horribly wrong. Can Bea craft a perfect conclusion to a story running rapidly out of control? There are traces of Orwell, while the Men in White Coats ready to "redact" anyone who steps out of line have echoes of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Well worth a look
Andrew Wallace
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Generously proportioned Bridget Jonesish fairy Bea dreams of a promotion to Fiction-Management Executive while drinking wine with her singleton Fae mates in a fantasy city ruled by the Big Brother figure of the Teller. Meanwhile, the mirrors that enable transit between the fae world and that of ‘the Characters’ , who may very well be us, are breaking down. These failures result in a procedural clampdown and the release of the dreaded ‘Beast’.
Bea is actually a bit of an anti-heroine to start with
Jodie Downes
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The book held so much promise and yet was let down by a LOT of spelling and grammar errors. At first I skipped past them but by the end it was really grating on my nerves.
The story of Bea - the cabbage fairy, and the world of Plots and Godmothers was a great spin on the fairytales we're used to. It had an almost dystopian feel to it in the way the city and the way it's run is described. All Bea wants is to become a fairy godmother, but when the opportunity is thrust upon her, she realises it's
Paul Arvidson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-new-stuff
Funny, clever and exciting. This is the start of a brilliant series about a bewildered cabbage fairy in a steam punk universe. She's out of her depth and way beyond her skill set but she still wants to do the right thing, even if it's going to get her killed, or worse - redacted. Get out your story books and your editing quills and don't plan on getting any sleep any time soon. This one's a page turner!
F.D. Lee
Mar 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
Well,I obviously loved this book because I wrote it :-)
Jude
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
l really got into this book and it's not my usual thing but I enjoyed this little romp and loved the references at the end. So now I know all about faires elves goblins etc
Samantha Corkin
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started of with the main character Bea watching plots as a job, she was secretly changing them to what she thought was better without thinking about the consequences of been caught. The plots are the main storyline of a book, they are what cause the characters and others to believe. The more belief there is within the world the less likely the mirrors will break. But it isn’t just that simple, there are antis who don’t believe in the plots and are determined to make them go wrong so th ...more
Marjorie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I surprised myself by enjoying large sections of this book, I have read a few of the subverted fairy tale genre books now and some work better than others. Fortunately this falls in to the latter category. Clearly a lot of though has gone in to world building and the reader does get a fleeting sense of Bea's world and the land where the fairies (as a general catch all term for all magical creatures as opposed to the fae) are working to create belief. That was one of the issues I had with the boo ...more
Kerry
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am someone who enjoys fantastical literature. My tendencies lean towards darker urban fantasy species (vampires, werewolves, witches etc), but with this book I decided to challenge myself to try something different.
After reading the first couple of chapters, I was still concerned this wasn’t going to be for me. The writing is very simple; almost writing-by-numbers in places, which puts me off as I start to look for literary techniques my children are being taught at Junior school. The feel of
ClareT
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This book had it all. Fairies, witches, heroes and heroines, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but all twisted together in unexpected ways.
Bea, a cabbage fairy, longs to be a godmother, but despite watching many plots, to make sure everyone lived happily ever after, and making a few tiny alterations along the way, no one recommends her and she keeps on waiting. But, the world as the Fae know it is heading for trouble and Bea is offered her own plot. She just has to get Sindy to go to the Ball and
Vicki Orton
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this high fantasy book with an intriguing concept surrounding the writing (or rather the making sure they play out ‘correctly’) of fairy stories; what if the heroine doesn’t want the classic happy ending of marrying the prince?! Absolutely loved the main character Bea, a cabbage fairy wanting to aspire to being a Godmother, and the accident mishaps she found herself in throughout the story, she was fun and I could definitely sympathise with her a few times. I do however wish we co ...more
Ami
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This fairy's tale is a wild combination of fanciful whimsy and dystopian terrors with a large dose of badly bent fairy tales. The book started a bit slow but I am so glad I continued reading as it turned into a wonderfully wrought romp with compelling characters, most of whom I love, and a world that was so well developed I held my breath a few times through the tense moments. I also laughed out loud at the fractured fairy tales mixed throughout. There are a few grammatical errors but they did n ...more
starduest
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting premise in this alternate fantasy universe but ultimately it was just a bit too convoluted and slightly contrived in its attempts to be clever that it wasn't as convincing as it could be. I spent too much effort trying to figure out what the characters are meant to be in this alternate universe that I couldn't get into the story, and the ending was such a tease to get you to read the next book. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this enough to be that tempted to read the second installment ...more
Hazel Went
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable anti-fairy-tale. What if fairy godmothers were working to a script, and what if getting it wrong or speaking out against the scripts "plots" left you open to being "redacted", i.e. your mind emptied? With the fae living in an almost 1984-esque land, and only the few being permitted contact with the characters (humans), this was an enjoyable twist to the fairy tale. The heroine is a cabbage fairy looking to better herself, aiming to come back from the bottom of the social pi ...more
Jo
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fairytales
A good read, if one that would have benefitted from a little extra attention to detail on the editing. Maybe only in the Kindle version, but strange formatting in places (i not I in multiple places amongst other spelling or grammatical errors). The early chapters have large amounts of info-dumping too. Ok this is sounding negative for a book I rated 4 stars! Once you get past that there’s a nice twist on the traditional tales we know with a good cast of characters. A fun enjoyable story and I’ll ...more
Gemma
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nan
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fairy tales. We've all read 'em, right? Princes, witches, fairies, dwarves, pretty girls, handsome men, happily ever after . . .
But have you ever wondered what goes on behind the scenes? Why it always turns out right?

Bea, a cabbage fairy and plot watcher, thinks she knows. She's about to find out that she doesn't. Not really.

A completely different take on fairy tales. You'll never read them the same again.
Spike faery
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing magical adventure...

This book had me engrossed from beginning to end. An amazing tale about a fairy who wants to be a fairy godmother, but when given the opportunity, she finds its not as great as she originally thought.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

All in all, absolutely riveting, with twisted fairytales and plot twists. If you like Terry Pratchett, you’ll like this.
Janice Clark
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this out of curiosity, and found it an interesting mashup of various fairy tales, not anywhere near the level suggested by the sales spiel on Facebook, but much better than I expected. The writing quality is clear and must have been professionally edited and proofread, as I didn't encounter any annoying "speedbumps." The author was giving away free books, which tend to get higher ratings. I did enjoy the story, but didn't find it compelling enough to look at the sequels.
Teddy
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fairytale adventure romp. Written in a lighthearted manner, with a lot of humour, that enhances the dark underlying situation. Full of engaging characters and with a compelling plotline. A great start to what will, hopefully, be a long series.

I'm a big fan of this series and currently waiting impatiently for book three.

Teddy
Neveah
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was okay, but very overwritten and ufff, too much explication all of the time. There are also some jokes at the start which just miss the mark - managing to sound awkward and offensive when I think they are just badly executed. It’s a good idea, but reading about a fascist state with little or no self awareness of itself it a little off right now.
Jo
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-written, funny, intriguing plot; but would have enjoyed it more if not for the rather pointless digs at politicians that, IMHO, left a sour taste in the mouth without contributing anything to the story line or character development.
Robert
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
You can find my review of The Fairy's Tale on my book blog, Bastian's Book Reviews.
Jemma Geary
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Such a great read! Love the characters, the concept, the story, the writing everything! A fairy tale like no other
Emma
Feb 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Very confusing for the first half, a complex world build that isn't explained well. The story picks up in the second half but still is convoluted and not clear.
Theo
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Artemis Fowl for adults

And I loved AF but this is aimed at an older reader is all I mean. Great imagination and storytelling. Yeah it's quick but that's great for me.
Kathy Clifford
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Couldn't get into this at all
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Snow White Learns Witchcraft: Stories and Poems
  • Allerleirauh
  • The Enchanted Sonata
  • Buffy: The High School Years - Parental Parasite (Buffy: The High School Years, #3)
  • The Mad King (The Dark Kings #1)
  • Crescendo! (Austerley & Kirkgordon, #1)
  • Blue Bottle Tree
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • The Devil's Looking Glass (Swords of Albion, #3)
  • The Looking Glass Wars: CrossFire
  • Dungeon Explorers (Tales of Magic and Adventure #1)
  • Cat's Paw
  • Nessy's Locket (The Artifact Hunters Book 5)
  • Cake: A Fairy Tale
  • Tales of Ever After (Fellowship of Fantasy, #4)
  • White Heart (Merrydian's Gate, #1)
  • Clouded by Envy
  • Light & Dark: The Black Bonded (Light & Dark, #2)
I am an avid reader, and will pick up almost anything. I grew up in a comic book shop (seriously), so I also have a great love and respect for comics, superheroes, sci-fi and fantasy.

Please feel free to get in touch with me via Facebook (/fdleeauthor) or Twitter (@faithdlee) or email (faith@fdlee.co.uk).

The Pathways Tree (3 books)
  • The Academy (The Pathways Tree, #2)
  • The Princess And The Orrery (The Pathways Tree, #3)
“I just wonder… Isn’t it better to start as a monster and become a hero? Isn’t that what creates belief? The idea that someone can change?” 4 likes
“He started to draw. He drew from memory. He had a good memory, something which, all things considered, was far from a blessing.
The pencils moved quickly across the paper, scratching back and forth in deepening shades of grey. He leaned low over the paper, concentrating all his energy on his work.
The candles flickered and dripped wax, having nothing better to do.
Eventually he lifted his head and looked at his creation. The face of a young woman stared back at him from the paper, a slight smile playing on her lips. She looked as if she was about to say something, and that once she had you would laugh. She looked happy.
Seven stared at the picture, his strange eyes unreadable – eyes that, now he made no effort to mask them, were from edge to edge only the deep blue of the dead ocean.
He swallowed hard, as if he was trying to imbibe something foul tasting but necessary, like a child sipping medicine, and pulled another sheet of paper from his desk.”
3 likes