Start by marking “The Fairy's Tale (The Pathways Tree, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Fairy's Tale (The Pathways Tree, #1)

Read Book

The Fairy's Tale

(The Pathways Tree #1)

Librarian's note: This is an Alternate Cover Edition for ASIN: B00T3E9QL8.

Bea has one week to find a Happy Ending - that is, if she isn’t arrested for treason first…

Enter the world behind the stories, where ‘Happy Endings’, ‘True Love’ and ‘Rags To Riches’ are all just a means to an end – and a promotion. Here we meet Bea, a cabbage fairy who dreams of being so much more.
Published February 21st 2015 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about The Fairy's Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairy's Tale

Start your review of The Fairy's Tale (The Pathways Tree, #1)
SA Krishnan
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bea is a cabbage fairy and she wants to be a fairy Godmother. Unfortunately that is no easy task. How she gets about doing that is the entire story. The author had spun a beautiful yarn around the stories already known and thrown them in new light. The characters in their new avatar are beautiful and their relationship is almost adorable.
Enjoyed the retelling of stories.
Leigh
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, dnf
The Fairy's Tale, is written in third person and is easy to read. Although, there are a few spelling and grammar mistakes, it doesn't really detract from the story.

The story centres on Bea, a young cabbage fairy who has dreams of one day becoming a fairy good mother. In the meantime, she watches stories unfold and tweaks them a little. That is until she is finally given a proper assignment, that involves more than watching and a chance to finally become a fairy godmother!

I did like this story,
F.D. Lee
Mar 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fantasy
Well,I obviously loved this book because I wrote it :-)
Melissa
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy, romance
Never Enough Books Logo

I don’t think there is a person around today who wasn’t raised on fairy tales in one aspect or another in their childhood. No matter what our background, we were all exposed to these tales as children and as adults. And while the stories themselves might have different casts of characters and different settings, the end results were almost always the same with lessons learned and love found.

The Fairy’s Tale takes us behind the scenes of the stories; asking the question, what if the events in
Nick Rippington
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cinderella has never been so dark and devious. Garden Fairy Bea has ambitions to be a Fairy Godmother and help bring about happy endings. Unfortunately, in a world run by the Fantasy version of Big Brother, things soon begin to go horribly wrong. Can Bea craft a perfect conclusion to a story running rapidly out of control? There are traces of Orwell, while the Men in White Coats ready to "redact" anyone who steps out of line have echoes of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Well worth a look
Gemma
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
The story is interesting, i just couldn't get into it properly, because the jumping back and forth between characters was very abrupt. Took me forever to finish it.
Amy
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
I really enjoyed the plot of this book, and I didn't even mind the myriad of sub plots. And the world building and charters were also interesting. But like others have said the writing was a bit jarring and hard yo get through/understand the point of at times; nothing a good editor couldn't tighten.

All in all, shows promise and I would probably even pick up the sequel, if it was on a kindle deal, which isn't really saying much as I'm kind of addicted ebook bargains, but I digress. Enjoyable read
Amy
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. It took a while to get into it but worth reading and I will redo read the next one x
Richard Howard
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2020
The third star is for originality but I found this to be overlong, often skim reading page after page and still being able to follow the narrative. The essential idea is clever and it's a novel take on how fairy tales work but the book could have done with some prudent editing, as there is a lot of unnecessary exposition and too much repetition.
Marjorie
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I surprised myself by enjoying large sections of this book, I have read a few of the subverted fairy tale genre books now and some work better than others. Fortunately this falls in to the latter category. Clearly a lot of though has gone in to world building and the reader does get a fleeting sense of Bea's world and the land where the fairies (as a general catch all term for all magical creatures as opposed to the fae) are working to create belief. That was one of the issues I had with the boo ...more
Andrew Wallace
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Generously proportioned Bridget Jonesish fairy Bea dreams of a promotion to Fiction-Management Executive while drinking wine with her singleton Fae mates in a fantasy city ruled by the Big Brother figure of the Teller. Meanwhile, the mirrors that enable transit between the fae world and that of ‘the Characters’ , who may very well be us, are breaking down. These failures result in a procedural clampdown and the release of the dreaded ‘Beast’.
Bea is actually a bit of an anti-heroine to start with
Jodie Downes
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
The book held so much promise and yet was let down by a LOT of spelling and grammar errors. At first I skipped past them but by the end it was really grating on my nerves.
The story of Bea - the cabbage fairy, and the world of Plots and Godmothers was a great spin on the fairytales we're used to. It had an almost dystopian feel to it in the way the city and the way it's run is described. All Bea wants is to become a fairy godmother, but when the opportunity is thrust upon her, she realises it's
Paul Arvidson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-new-stuff
Funny, clever and exciting. This is the start of a brilliant series about a bewildered cabbage fairy in a steam punk universe. She's out of her depth and way beyond her skill set but she still wants to do the right thing, even if it's going to get her killed, or worse - redacted. Get out your story books and your editing quills and don't plan on getting any sleep any time soon. This one's a page turner!
Hannah Thomas
Jan 24, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
Unfortunately I’m abandoning this book less than 10% in (which I don’t like to do but I just can’t with this)
The world that is created is difficult to understand, it was boring and failed to hook me in. Lots of grammar and spelling mistakes already. Don’t bother.
Jude
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
l really got into this book and it's not my usual thing but I enjoyed this little romp and loved the references at the end. So now I know all about faires elves goblins etc
Cecilia Rodriguez
Apr 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lee's satire is flat and not funny.
Read instead:
Phantom Tollbooth
Bad Prince Charlie
Bring me the head of Prince Charming
Samantha Corkin
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book started of with the main character Bea watching plots as a job, she was secretly changing them to what she thought was better without thinking about the consequences of been caught. The plots are the main storyline of a book, they are what cause the characters and others to believe. The more belief there is within the world the less likely the mirrors will break. But it isn’t just that simple, there are antis who don’t believe in the plots and are determined to make them go wrong so th ...more
Goth Gone Grey
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairy-tales, 2019
Bea is a cabbage fairy, dreaming of a full promotion to a fairy godmother. (Not technically, the book is full of new-age randomly capitalized fairy tale terms like FME, GenAm, Plot, Book, Etc.) She's been manipulating Plots already, hopefully under the radar, but she's been caught... and praised for it. She's given a Book and a Plot and characters to ensure the right steps happen for a Happily Ever After.

Of course, everything happening right would make for a boring read, so that's not what happ
Nanette Littlestone
Clever and so very witty

The opening of The Fairy's Tale was such an amazing blend of action, adventure, wit, and humor that I posted about it on Facebook and told all my friends you have to see this book.
I grew up on fairy tales and Disney, knowing that true love conquers all and there's always a Happy Ever After. So I couldn't wait to read this tale of free will and personal choice.
I loved the world that Lee created: the GenAm; the horrible Redactionists; the Teller whocaresaboutus; Bea, the
Kerry
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am someone who enjoys fantastical literature. My tendencies lean towards darker urban fantasy species (vampires, werewolves, witches etc), but with this book I decided to challenge myself to try something different.
After reading the first couple of chapters, I was still concerned this wasn’t going to be for me. The writing is very simple; almost writing-by-numbers in places, which puts me off as I start to look for literary techniques my children are being taught at Junior school. The feel of
Tally
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If your looking for a unpredictable, exciting fantasy book then I 100% recommend this book.
I was really sqeptical going into the read as I'm not the biggest fan of fairy tales, or fairy tale retelling, but I am so glad that I did!

All the characters where relatable in there own way, and I don't think there was a single character that I disliked (which is rare for me).

The pacing was even and steady throughout the the book, with most of the action happening towards the ending, this also involved a
Dumpy Unicorn
This a novel with a lot of heart, a good dollop of humour, a sprinkling of politics and an anti-establishment message and it really did me good to read something that didn’t take itself too seriously.

Bea is a cabbage fairy, but a cabbage fairy with ambition.  She wants to be a Fairy Godmother but this is not the land of fairy tales that we grew up with. There’s a sinister organisation that controls the stories and the denizens of Fairyland are being repressed. The threat of redaction hangs heav
Brenda
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bea our heroine is a low ranking cabbage fairy, who dreams of being an official Fairy Godmother. Bea is finally given a chance to prove her worth and she is determined to make a success of it, after all, how hard can a Happy Ever After story be? Surely every girl wants to marry a king, don’t they? Not always! Bea's heroine just doesn't want to be in her own story, and her hero is much more interested in the ugly sister. This very same ugly sister is an anarchist who is trying to overthrow the Ki ...more
Vicki Orton
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this high fantasy book with an intriguing concept surrounding the writing (or rather the making sure they play out ‘correctly’) of fairy stories; what if the heroine doesn’t want the classic happy ending of marrying the prince?! Absolutely loved the main character Bea, a cabbage fairy wanting to aspire to being a Godmother, and the accident mishaps she found herself in throughout the story, she was fun and I could definitely sympathise with her a few times. I do however wish we co ...more
ClareT
Aug 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
This book had it all. Fairies, witches, heroes and heroines, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but all twisted together in unexpected ways.
Bea, a cabbage fairy, longs to be a godmother, but despite watching many plots, to make sure everyone lived happily ever after, and making a few tiny alterations along the way, no one recommends her and she keeps on waiting. But, the world as the Fae know it is heading for trouble and Bea is offered her own plot. She just has to get Sindy to go to the Ball and
Chimene
Ah...

Review time.

I found this book via FB ... Signed up and got a free copy (ebook)

I was captivated by the front cover and the book description. It sounded like the perfect read.
I actually quite liked Bea, the main character. I liked her strength in doing the right thing.
I think the author did a good job in setting the scene and how things were set to work in Bea's world. A story about going for what you want despite the odds and expectations of others.

Truthfully, I think the problem I had was g
Patrick Scattergood
I absolutely adore fairy tale and fantasy books, especially when they take over written tropes and turn them on their head. That's exactly what this book does and does well.

I would sit there and write a lot about the story itself but I don't want to give any spoilers. That said, there was a great story under the humour and sarcasm, which had me absolutely howling with laughter at times. It was so great to see a fantasy story where the characters all had different personalities and reasons for th
Gillian
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bea is a cabbage fairy and not your typical wannabe fairy godmother, or rather Fiction Management Executive as they are known. All she wants is her own Book Plot where she can lead her Characters to live Happily Ever After which in turn will gender belief and save the Mirrors. Simple, right?
When Bea gets the chance to maker All Her Wishes Come True she discovers that everything she has believed may not be so, and try as she might, her Characters are not behaving according to the standard Plot,
starduest
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting premise in this alternate fantasy universe but ultimately it was just a bit too convoluted and slightly contrived in its attempts to be clever that it wasn't as convincing as it could be. I spent too much effort trying to figure out what the characters are meant to be in this alternate universe that I couldn't get into the story, and the ending was such a tease to get you to read the next book. Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this enough to be that tempted to read the second installment ...more
Hazel Went
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable anti-fairy-tale. What if fairy godmothers were working to a script, and what if getting it wrong or speaking out against the scripts "plots" left you open to being "redacted", i.e. your mind emptied? With the fae living in an almost 1984-esque land, and only the few being permitted contact with the characters (humans), this was an enjoyable twist to the fairy tale. The heroine is a cabbage fairy looking to better herself, aiming to come back from the bottom of the social pi ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Night Raven (Crow Investigations #1)
  • The Twisted Tree
  • Godblind (Godblind, #1)
  • The Big Little Festival (Rabbit's Leap, #2)
  • The Pearl King (Crow Investigations, #4)
  • The Fox's Curse (Crow Investigations, #3)
  • The Road to Farringale (Modern Magick, #1)
  • H. G. Wells: The Complete Novels (The Time Machine, The War of the Worlds, The Invisible Man, The Island of Doctor Moreau, When The Sleeper Wakes, A Modern Utopia...)
  • News From Gardenia
  • A Shadow on the Glass (The View from the Mirror, #1)
  • Armageddon 2419 A.D.
  • America City
  • Retreat (Robledo Mountain, #3)
  • Coup d'etat (Red Angel #5)
  • The Secret Chapter (The Invisible Library, #6)
  • Plan for the Worst (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #11)
  • The Prisoner of Brenda
  • Cursed: An Anthology of Dark Fairy Tales
I am an avid reader, and will pick up almost anything. I grew up in a comic book shop (seriously), so I also have a great love and respect for comics, superheroes, sci-fi and fantasy.

Please feel free to get in touch with me via Facebook (/fdleeauthor) or Twitter (@faithdlee) or email (faith@fdlee.co.uk).

The Pathways Tree (4 books)
  • The Academy (The Pathways Tree, #2)
  • The Princess And The Orrery (The Pathways Tree, #3)
  • The Cascade