Start by marking “Northern Heat” as Want to Read:
Northern Heat

Northern Heat

In steamy northern Queensland, Conor is living under an assumed name and rebuilding his shattered life. Working at Cooktown's youth centre has given him the chance to make a difference again, and a chance to flirt with Dr Kristy Dark.

After tragedy tore her family apart, Kristy fled to Cooktown with her feisty teenage daughter, Abby. She hoped being part of the small commun
Published May 27th 2015 by Penguin Australia

To ask other readers questions about Northern Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Northern Heat

Start your review of Northern Heat
Sharon
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Conor Woods is trying urgently to leave his past behind him. He hopes by starting a fresh in Cooktown that eventually his past will be just that the past. Only when such tragedy has occurred in one's life can it so easily be forgotten by just moving to another place?

Whilst on his morning runs, Conor crosses paths with Dr Kristy Dark. Conor has gotten to recognize some of the locals Kristy being one of them as he works as a sports coach. Kristy also has a painful past which she is keeping locked
Brenda
Conor Woods hadn’t been living in Cooktown for long but he was beginning to know the locals. His past was one he was trying to forget – taking one day at a time was helping him put his life back together; one way or another. As he ran through the early morning streets, blowing away the overnight cobwebs, he passed Dr Kristy Dark running in the opposite direction. He admired Kristy – working as a sports coach at the town’s youth centre meant he met a lot of the mums of the youngsters he taught; K ...more
Dale Harcombe
Sep 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Three and a half stars.
This was a good read. I liked the main characters. Conor Woods has started to settle into Cooktown after the murder of his wife and daughter. Because of his past, he is wary about getting too close to others. Then he meets Dr. Kristy Dark and realises he’d like get to know her as more than just the mother of one of the girls he coaches at the local town youth centre. Kristy and her teenage daughter Abby have their own past they are trying to deal with. Danger comes in the
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

Helene Young delivers another exciting and engaging romantic suspense novel with Northern Heat, her sixth novel.

Northern Heat begins with a murder and the suspense and action continues as Connor is targeted by both police and the bad guys. Throw in a vicious assault, a frightened wife, rebellious teens and a cyclone bearing down on the town, and the story is fast paced and tension-filled. The last few chapters in particular had me frantically flipping the pages.

Readers familiar with Safe Harbou
Lee
May 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Northern Heat has everything I should want in a book. Australian author, set in a far north Queensland town not far from where I live, romance, mystery, natural disasters, yachts, and mature main characters. I should have lapped this up with a spoon. But… Yes, there’s a but.

The novel opens with our hero, Conor, witnessing a shooting. Our heroine, Kristy, is a doctor and on hand to help. Conor and Kristy were already acquainted at this stage; he is her daughter Abby’s basketball coach at the loca
Faye
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book, I have only read one other of this author and liked the book, however, she has got me, this is her latest novel, I believe. I liked the main characters, hated the bad bloke and the story line was great, not too much romance. I was hooked from the first couple of pages.
Bronwyn
Another gripping romantic suspense from Helene Young. Her characterisations, as always, are strong, and the setting - the tropical north, complete with wild winds and cyclone - are evocative.
Roz ~ My Written Romance
I received an ARC of the book from the publisher via NetGalley, but any and all opinions are mine.

Now for my thoughts on Northern Heat:

Helene Young has crafted another wonderful and enthralling romantic suspense in her May release, Northern Heat.

If you have read her fabulous story, Safe Harbour, you will recognize the hero, Conor. I have been hoping we get to discover more about him for some time, and I was delighted to find out that Northern Heat was to be his story. His world, dogged by traged
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
When I picked up this latest by award-winning romance writer Helene Young I hadn’t realised that it was very loosely linked to her previous novel Safe Harbour, so what a delightful surprise it was to discover that the mysterious stranded sailor who had crossed paths with Darcy and Noah was going to get his own story.

Conor isn't known for staying in one place for too long, preferring to drift around on his boat and, whilst grieving the loss of the two most important people in his life, plot his r
Kathryn
4.5 stars. Northern Heat is a fantastic romantic suspense novel set in the eastern coast of Australia above Cairns. Having read Safe Harbour, a previous book by Helene Young I guessed it was going to be action packed. I also surmised that characters could die, because Helene Young doesn't seem to hold back when it comes to the seamier side of life.

I enjoyed this novel very much. Kristy is a local doctor and has a daughter Abby who is in early adolescence and has those problems that go along with
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
My View:
This was a dramatic page turning read which had all the elements I desire in a great contemporary novel - well developed characters- some you will like, some you won’t. A complex plot that has several story arcs; this novel has threads that discuss such issues as domestic violence, bulimia and life in rural Australia/life on the farm. The settings are amazing – although we have only travelled a small area of Queensland I was able to recognise this setting in so many coastal towns we visi
A Reader's Heaven

In steamy northern Queensland, Conor is rebuilding his shattered life. Working at Cooktown's youth centre has given him the chance to make a difference again, and the opportunity to flirt with Dr Kristy Dark. The local GP is hiding her own secrets and struggling to raise her feisty teenage daughter alone.
When a severe cyclone menaces the coast, threatening to destroy everything in its path, tensions come to a
Sheree

Helene Young's novels are an addictive mix of nail-biting tension and characters to emotionally invest in. Northern Heat is no exception, I couldn't put it down, finishing in the wee hours ... the sleep deprivation was totally worth it.

Northern Heat is definitely a stand-alone novel but if you've read Safe Harbour you'll recognise Conor as the yachtsman pulled from wild seas. I didn't pick up on that from the synopsis but I was so happy to get more of Conor.

Kristy and Conor are two of
Sonya Heaney
Originally posted HERE .

It sounds odd, but the thing that really struck me about this book is how well-structured it is. The information comes out gradually, but not too gradually. Characters are introduced as they need to be, but the story never seems crowded with them. Writing this kind of crime/suspense/romance book can be tricky because it is hard to find the right balance. So few authors do.

From a technical point of view, I’m sure this is Helene Young’s best book so far. Another great th
Jenn J McLeod
May 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm fortunate to have had the opportunity to read Helene Young's soon to be released title - Northern Heat.

Helene Young never disappoints; in fact she gets better with each book. Even though Border Watch (re-titled: Wings of Fear) remains a firm favourite, she has won me again with this fast-paced story about the fury of Mother Nature and mankind, and what happens when the two converge.

I love a story in which the author tackles contemporary issues with intelligence and sensitivity. Helene does
Helen
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it has a bit of everything - suspense, action, drama, romance. Be sure to put this on your pre-order list - you will not be disappointed. Helene Young has gone to one of my fave Aussie authors.

“Find the joy in life again, live in the moment, not the future”

Full review at:

Janine
Another really enjoyable read by Helene Young. There were a few little things that stopped me giving it 5 stars. I thought the introduction of the characters was a bit abrupt and the taking time to have a cup of tea slowed the suspense.
Jess
Helene Young's novels are highly addictive, fast paced and full of passion and intrigue. It only took me a few pages of her latest release, Northern Heat, to realise that his novel was going to be no different, in that regard, to her five previous novels. So if you like strong, passionate characters, fantastic writing and a story that will both move you and leave you wanting more, than this is the perfect book for you.

For those who've read Safe Harbour, you'll already be familiar with our leadin
Sam Still Reading
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of suspense and action
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: from publisher/my mum
I first had the pleasure of hearing Helene Young speak earlier this year, and boy, is she interesting! (Not to mention that she puts clips and pictures of great movies and lovely looking gentlemen in her Powerpoint presentations). My mother has been reading Helene avidly since her first book, and I have been neglectful in taking daughterly advice and reading her novels. Until now. Northern Heat is a gripping, action-packed novel set in the sultry climes of Far North Queensland during cyclone sea ...more
S.J. Hartland
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
HELENE Young is fast making the romantic suspense genre her own.
She creates believable, compelling and vivid characters we want to see overcome danger and end up together.
In her novel, Northern Heat, we meet Conor, a man living under an assumed name after a brush with a dangerous crime syndicate shattered his life.
Conor coaches sport, lives on a yacht and hopes those hunting him don’t track him down.
He certainly doesn’t need to be at the centre of a police investigation, especially when one offi
Jeanette
This is Conor's story.

In Helene Young's Northern Heat Conor Wood is chilling out in steamy Cooktown (far north Queensland), working on a trawler and coaching kids at PCYC, when he witnesses a car fleeing from a cold blooded murder. He soon becomes a major suspect. Meanwhile, Dr Kirsty Dark is trying to leave the tragic deaths of her son and husband behind her while working as a doctor at Cooktown Hospital and raising her teenage daughter. Both Conor and Kirsty become entangled in the shady MacDo
Tien
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Northern Heat was a fun and comfortable read. I purposely chose this book to accompany me on my first back at work so I have something to look forward to in the cold and dark morning train rides. It was a good pick as it was easy to read and drew me right into its world (which was fantastic, considering that we’re in the middle of winter whilst the book is set in the middle of a scorching summer).

The story opens on a hot and sticky morning in which Conor found himself an unwitting witness to a c
Gina
May 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I read Helene's books I experience this physical sensation of having like a bubble in my gut which I've since recognised as been pent-up excitement as I'm reading and anticipating sequential moments of high drama (or the love scene/s) in her stories. A worthy author will create a story and dynamic characters who make you want more of them even when the story is finished. Helene does this so well and constantly in all her books.
I especially liked "Northern Heat" for its setting and impending
Renee
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2015
I was immediately drawn to this book because of the setting. I live in a similar climate in the tropical north of Australia. I loved reading about the wet season, cyclone warnings, crocodiles and curling up with a good book in the air conditioning - all concepts familiar to me.

I loved both Connor and Kristy. They were both strong characters who had baggage from their past, but they were still kind and likable characters. I enjoyed seeing their romance unfold and hoped they would be able to fall
Jill
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
'Northern Heat' by Helene Young earns two stars for the exciting description of the category 5 cyclone that sweeps through Northern Queensland toward the end of the book. The rest was a hodgepodge of ideas that covered bulimia, domestic abuse, family murders, a criminal dynasty of thugs, the death of a child, and a very flat romance. The author kept telling us that these two characters were drawn to each other but they spent so much of the book grappling with their pasts that I got tired of them ...more
Stacey Houllis
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: love-romance, family
Northern Heat by Helene Young is the second book I have read. It is the story of Conor who moved to Cooktown after the murder deaths of his wife and daughter. He is working at the PYC centre helping trian the basketball team and working as deckhand for Bill a fisherman. He meets Dr Kristy Dark the local doctor after finding Danny dead on his run. Kristy is a single mum to Abby who thirteen and is in the Basketball team that Conor trains. Abby tries to get her mum interested in Conor. Kristy has ...more
Cookie1
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am terrified of strong winds. Reading Northern Heat, during the cyclone, my heart was beating rapidly. I felt as though I was in the middle of these winds. This is definitely the sign of outstanding writing. I truly felt as though I was experiencing the wind and rain that Helene Young was describing. Her descriptions, and the passion of her writing make the book so realistic. I felt as though I was experiencing everything with Conor, Kristy and the girls.
The story is set in Cooktown, a place
Jeannette
May 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Helene Young has written a brilliant story that had me glued until the very last page. The author cleverly weaves contemporary issues, very real life events and relatable characters with mother nature's fury. The storytelling is done with an authenticity that adds to the slow building of tension - both the drama and just the right amount of sexual tension to maintain the story and give a little more meaning to the title!!!!! I loved Conner and Kristy's relationship. I was there with them every i ...more
Kathy Littlemore
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Northern Heat is based in Cooktown in Far North Queensland, Australia...my home town. I was impressed with the accuracy of the research for the setting that blended seemlessly with the fast paced action of the romantic suspense story that Helene Young is renowned for.

It was a gripping read that explored domestic violence and its impact on families. And what women couldn't fall in love with Conor?
Jenny
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book. You get hook on the story from the first page. The bad boy Conner is running way from the cops and Kristy trying to make new life with her daughter in tropical northern meet and fall in love. However, they have to contend with people wanting to kill them and a tropical cyclon. I will recommend this book.

• Undara
  • Just One Wish
  • You Don't Know Me
  • Where The Light Gets In
  • Something in the Wine
  • The Library at the Edge of the World (Finfarran #1)
After 28 years as an airline captain in Australia, Helene Young has swapped the sky for the sea to go in search of adventure with her husband aboard their sailing catamaran. The rural and remote places she visits, along with the fascinating people she meets, provide boundless inspiration for her novels. Her strong interest in both social justice and the complexity of human nature shapes the themes ...more