Start by marking “Practicing for Heaven” as Want to Read:
Practicing for Heaven

Practicing for Heaven

David hates practicing piano. He is frustrated by how hard it is and all the mistakes he makes. With the help of his mother, he comes to understand how thats all part of the learning process. She also uses the moment to help David comprehend more about the Atonement: Christ has paid the price so that we can learn and improve. We are not earning our way to heaven we are pra ...more
32 pages
Published by Deseret Book (first published March 2nd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Practicing for Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Practicing for Heaven

Jennifer Strong
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
"What does practicing the piano have to do with Jesus?" Just as playing the piano takes a lot of practice and fixing our mistakes, so does becoming like Christ. We don't have to be perfect people, but we have to keep trying to be Christlike. When we fail we can repent and try again.

A sweet book that would be useful in helping children understand the Atonement of Jesus Christ. At the back there is a page with helpful hints on how to expand the lesson and discuss it with children. Also included a
Patsy
Jul 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good book to help explain the Christ's atonement and God's grace to children, with additional suggestions in the back of the book.
Heidi
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Practicing for Heaven is a beautiful book with a powerful message. I especially related to the piano analogy because I used to play myself and I was also a reluctant practitioner. I love how the mother sits down with her son and explains to him the importance of not giving up when things get hard or when it seems that all one does is make mistakes. Not only is the text beautifully written and perfect for sharing with children, but the illustrations are gorgeous and wonderfully highlights the tex ...more
Shauna
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this sweet book you will read the story of David and his reluctance to practice the piano~

Sound like someone you know?

"'But it's hard' and 'I keep hitting the wrong notes' complains David."

Do you make mistakes in this life?

Then David's mom turns this into a teaching moment about Jesus Christ and his atonement.

She has paid for the piano lessons so she can ask David to practice even if he makes mistakes.

Christ has also paid for us...
What does He ask of us?
Are we allowed to make mistakes?
Read to
Rachelle
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My family loves picture books and the piano so this book was a perfect match for us. We read this book together for Family Night and helped our little kids understand the concept of the Atonement. I loved the parable in this book because it fit well with our family. We've had several complaints and frustrations with practicing the piano and so my children definitely related. I have come to understand the power of the Atonement on a deeper level over the past few years.
The illustrations are in f
Julie
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was so relatable! I currently have a child in piano lessons and we were chuckling and nodding our heads through the whole thing. The way it likens piano practice to what we're trying to do as followers of Christ was so original. We also loved the illustrations and how realistic they were. A great book for family home evening and a family keepsake for sure!

Originally reviewed on http://ldswritermom.blogspot.com
Catherine
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
A mother takes hold of a great teaching opportunity with her son. She compares the time it takes to learn to play the piano well to living our lives well. Just like we have to keep learning from our mistakes when it comes to the piano and keep trying, we have to keep learning from our mistakes in life and strive to become as Christ wants us to be.
Breena
I absolutely love this book! A must read for everyone.
Tenille
Mar 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute Story, easy way to put it for kids to understand that we don't have to be perfect, that we are practicing.
Heather
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Read this to my 6 yo trying to learn the violin and it helped her understand a little better why she practices and why I make her ;)
Don Gubler
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Too blunt for my taste. I prefer not to be bludgeoned quite so heavily. Cute story though. I rated it lower because I felt everyone else rated it too high. Balance?
Martha
Mar 02, 2015
Lindsay Gassin
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations with an even more beautiful message.
Julie
Dec 10, 2018
Daynagirl17
Mar 23, 2016
Wendee
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religious