Start by marking “22 Dead Little Bodies (Logan McRae, #9.5)” as Want to Read:
22 Dead Little Bodies (Logan McRae, #9.5)

22 Dead Little Bodies

(Logan McRae #9.5)

A short novel from the No. 1 bestselling author of CLOSE TO THE BONE and A SONG FOR THE DYING, featuring his most popular characters, Acting DI Logan McRae and DCI Robert Steel.

CID isn’t what it used to be…

It’s a been a bad week for acting Detective Inspector Logan McRae. Every time his unit turns up anything interesting, DCI Steel’s Major Investigation Team waltzes in and
Published April 9th 2015 by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd (first published March 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about 22 Dead Little Bodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 22 Dead Little Bodies

Start your review of 22 Dead Little Bodies (Logan McRae, #9.5)
Phrynne
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-books
This novella takes place in between books 8 and 9 - which is exactly where I am up to in reading this series so I was happy! These little extra stories which so many series writers are producing these days never do much to advance the overall story arc, but they are a fun way to pass a few hours with characters you already know well.

22 Little Dead Bodies provides the usual mix of humorous banter, unpleasant but realistic crimes and stressed out police officers. Logan still gets no respect for b
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: Why couldn't jumpers leap off bungalows? Why did the selfish sods always threaten to throw themselves off bloody huge buildings?

Logan edged closer to the man standing at the far edge of the roof. 'You. . .' he cleared his throat but it didn’t shift the taste. 'You don't have to do this.'

The man didn’t look around. One hand gripped the railing beside him, the skin stained dark red. Blood. It spread up his sleeve - turning the grey suit jacket almost black.

His other hand was just as bad.
Steve
Short novel starring Logan McRae and Roberta Steel.

One thing that Stuart MacBride does very well is tying up loose ends with regards to the mysteries and leave you hanging with the characters (all of them!), wondering what will happen next. Looking forward to the next one!
Brenda
From trying to stop a suicide on the edge of a tall building, to taking the drunk to hospital after he staggered into the road and was hit – Acting DI Logan McRae was having a bad week. Nothing was going right and when the notorious Mrs Black demanded to see him, McRae knew it was only going to get worse. But it was the body count that determined his days…

22 Dead Little Bodies is a novella featuring Logan McRae and DCI Steel by Stuart MacBride. Set in Scotland, the gritty and down to earth chara
Paromjit
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The edition I read had this story and two others. I absolutely adore Stuart MacBride’s Logan series and I have read every one of them.There a three stories in this collection featuring the winning team of the put upon Logan and the outrageous Steele. In the first story, 22 Dead Bodies, we have the search for the wife and children of a man that has committed suicide, the search for the murderer of a alcoholic tramp and the poisonous feud between neighbours that ends in murder. In Stramash, we hav ...more
Siobhan
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
22 Dead Little Bodies is a nice little short story that fits in between book eight, Close to the Bone, and book nine, The Missing and the Dead, of the Stuart MacBride’s Logan McRae series. I’m not usually a fan of short stories but having enjoyed the other short stories Stuart MacBride had offered in this series, I was more than willing to give 22 Dead Little Bodies a read.

If I’m being completely honest, I wasn’t crazy about 22 Dead Little Bodies. It was an enjoyable quick read, but it did not p
Chantelle B
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I chose to read '22 Dead little bodies' as a time filler while I was on holiday and appealed to me as a cliche mystery book about a police task force much like Sherlock Holmes but different. After sitting down for a whole day reading it, I managed to finish it in a day and was not disappointed. The book itself is based on a British private detective who has too many cases to complete while his supervisor, DCI steel takes all the credit for them when he finally figures them out.

My favourite chara
Sharon Mccall
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another cracking tale from the Granite city and two of my favourite mismatched characters - Logan McCrae and DI Steel.

Macbride manages to not fall down the path of other short novels where the characters and storyline are rushed or leave you feeling unsatisfied with the way they are handled. He pretty much keeps to the same path he uses for the main books. The antics of DI Steel often leave you wondering how the heck she still has a job and between the pair of them they should by now have their
David Highton
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A short novel comprising three main cases proceeding in parallel and also efforts by Logan to fund a neurological bed for his coma-bound girlfriend. The dialogue is as inventive and entertaining as usual
Jenn
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My favourite author. Ever. Never a bad book when Steel and McRae are around. These four tales fill in some gaps in the history. Or just fill in gaps. When you’re missing your favourite characters even a few short stories will tide you over until a new novel comes out. Who can ever resist Steel? She keeps you wondering how any woman could fall in love with her when she’s cruder than most men and consistently scratches herself in the rudest places lol
Bookread2day
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Police jobs are not always about arresting people. The police genuinely have all different task, like trying to save some ones life when they want to jump of a building or try to committ suicide in some way.

This is my first Stuart Macbride that I have read.

If you never read Stuart MacBride before? Here is time to start.

It seems DS Logan McRae always has a chaotic schedule. DS Logan McRae tries his hardest to stop a man on top of a building with a knife in his hand who wants to kill himself. The
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, mystery
This collection includes a short novel and a few short stories from Stuart MacBride's Scottish police procedural series featuring Logan and Steel. It held my interest, and yet I find myself avoiding picking up other books in the series when I see them at the library. I think it was a matter of vivid characters with whom I don't care to spend more time. It might be a good choice for those who like Denise Mina's and Peter May's books, though.
Ann
Aug 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
What a hoot! Having only read one other Stuart MacBride novel with Logan and Steel, I had forgotten the witty dialogue that makes this police procedural sparkle with life. Steel's brash bellowings are beyond memorable as are the unlikely crimes contained in this short book.
Possession of The Nutter Spoon of Doom leads the detectives to an outlandish feud between neighbours that seems a waste of time when they should be investigating a couple of suicides and looking for missing children.
Great en
John Wiltshire
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Longer than a short story, but not quite a full novel, this is nevertheless another first class visit with Mcrae and Steel and the other cast members of Police Scotland. There's always lots going on in MacBride's Mcrae stories. Murders often intercept. This one wasn't as funny as some of the longer ones in the series. I think MacBride's outlook on life has gotten gloomier. Start with the first in the series or you'll be totally lost, but if you haven't discovered this remarkable set of crime nov ...more
Laraine
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love MacBride's excellent Logan McRae and DCI Steele novels and this is a book of McRae and Steele stories which are interesting and also flesh out the characters somewhat. Poor McRae seems to get lumbered with Roberta Steele a lot and despite having to do menial jobs and most of the paperwork, he still manages to figure out how to solve most of the crimes. A thought this was a good little read and rate it 4-4 1/2 stars.
Mainer207
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
The only complaint I have is that this was too short. I love the characters and this little teaser was wonderful. I read it out of order so it did fill in a gap that was in the "big" books. The author is fantastic and the narrator of the audiobooks is first-rate!
Kate
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable 'taster' for anyone wanting a flavour of MacBride's Logan series. And for those of us who already utterly adore this fantastic series, it's a fab addition to it.

Deanne
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimethriller
Great short story which just leaves you wanting more of Logan, just give the guy a break Mr Macbride and give him a personal life.
Joanne Parkington
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ace .. Just Ace!
Sangeeta K
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is obviously well-written, regardless of what anybody is to think. The way the plot unfolds is classic MacBride, and this is exactly why I love his writing, and keep coming back for more.
Margaret
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime
Not a bad read, but way too much plot shoe-horned into a novella. It really needed to have been expanded to a full length novel, or had one of the side plots surgically removed.

Did enjoy it though, even if I did get the sense of being driven about by a an intense maniac on an out of control dodgem ride.

Strictly for Stuart MacBride fans only.
Sandie
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Readers who are a fan of Stuart MacBride (and I definitely am) will be thrilled to read this collection of stories about the travails of DS Logan McRae and the worst boss in the world, DCI Roberta Steele. The book starts with a novella about a murder case that happens during the election in which Scottish voters decide if they will break away from the United Kingdom. Steele is an adament supporter of separation and she follows the election avidly, interrupting McRae as he goes about his day and ...more
Lauren
May 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant collection of short stories and novellas featuring Logan McRae and DCI Steel. Good plots, brilliant characters, great dialogue, humour. Really enjoyable.
Gordon Mcghie
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
It is a new Logan McRae story and it is as good as I hoped it would be. McRae and Steel are back in fine form and 22 Dead Little Bodies brings their on their stories in this short novel.

There are two central investigations running through the book: a suicide ‘rescue’ in Aberdeen makes McRae a YouTube star, yet the man that he is trying to save has caused some problems for Police Scotland’s finest – they cannot locate his family.

McRae then has an unfortunate encounter with a serial complainer who
Yvann S
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Espace pulled forward up the ramp, apparently unaware that they had nearly had an extra three passengers in the back seat, complete with patrol car."

I read this in two sittings (over two days).

Great fiction it's not, but:

- I've never read any of the others in the series, and had no trouble with the characters or any pre-events (there's one bit that seems a little out of character so now I want to read the earlier books to make sense of it!)

- It was definitely gripping and I plowed through t
Louise
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great read! Stuart MacBride has delivered again. A swift but engrossing read that leaves you wanting more.
Logan Mcrae and the gang are ready-ish...... to find more than one murderer. Not only do they have to solve a murder or two but they are on the hunt for some missing persons and time is running out.
I love how MacBride injects some humour into a dark and at times harrowing read. He can make a crime almost funny and then do a 180 and turn the story on its head. He knows how to grip a reader
Lacer
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This one is another novella, set between book 8 and book 9 (so no finding out if Logan stays in Banff *pouts*). Logan is still an acting DI, in charge of a much reduced CID, as all the decent stuff goes to the MITs, so it's arguing neighbours and dead tramps and death notices for suicides. However nothing is ever as simple as it seems.

22 Dead Little Bodies also answers (sort of) some unanswered questions from book 9, such as where does Logan now stand with Reuben?

I received this book as part of
Dave
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent; everything you expect from Stuart MacBride.
MacRea and Steele continue their on going relationship ably supported by a full cast of great characters.
Within this book are a number of on going investigations, the reality of violent crime, "black humour" and the emotions arising from personal relationships.
It may be a short book, but it was a great read and I have read offerings from other authors that are "full length" but shorter than this. The length is not important when the content i
Kevin McMahon
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent enough little book although I am not a big fan of authors releasing these novellas for want of a better term. It strikes me as a bit of profiteering for those of us who still like to buy hardbacks when they are released.

The usual fair for Logan McRae who seems to have every enquiry there is. I agree McRae is a bit jaded in this book but Steel is in her usual form with lots of great one liners to motivate her staff.
Beth Younge
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a book i won in a give-away a while ago and it did not appeal to me very much. The only reason i read it at first was that it was roughly 150-190 pages long. I was surprised when i actually started to enjoy it . I felt that the book could’ve been longer as there was quite a lot of things happening with two or three separate plot lines happening at once and at times, it felt a bit cluttered for my liking. I still thought it was a good little mystery novel with all considered.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How the Dead Speak (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #11)
  • Robert B. Parker's The Devil Wins (Jesse Stone, #14)
  • City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery, #2)
  • 1222 (Hanne Wilhelmsen, #8)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Constable Twitten #1)
  • The Sleepwalker (Aidan Waits Thriller, #3)
  • Stalkers (DS Heckenburg, #1)
  • The Killing Club (DS Heckenburg, #3)
  • Dead Man Walking (DS Heckenburg, #4)
  • Hunted (DS Heckenburg, #5)
  • Ashes to Ashes (DS Heckenburg, #6)
  • One Minute Out (Gray Man, #9)
  • Crack Down (Kate Brannigan, #3)
  • The Neighbour
  • Sacrifice (DS Heckenburg, #2)
  • The Ambassador's Wife  (The Mean Streets of Asia Crime Novels #1)
  • The Drop (Slough House, #5.5)
  • Red Snow (Tuva Moodyson Mystery, #2)
Aka Stuart B. MacBride

The life and times of a bearded write-ist.

Stuart MacBride (that's me) was born in Dumbarton -- which is Glasgow as far as I'm concerned -- moving up to Aberdeen at the tender age of two, when fashions were questionable. Nothing much happened for years and years and years: learned to play the recorder, then forgot how when they changed from little coloured dots to proper musi

Logan McRae (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
  • Dying Light (Logan McRae, #2)
  • Broken Skin (Logan McRae, #3)
  • Flesh House (Logan McRae, #4)
  • Blind Eye (Logan McRae, #5)
  • Dark Blood (Logan McRae, #6)
  • Shatter The Bones (Logan McRae, #7)
  • Close to the Bone (Logan McRae, #8)
  • The Missing and the Dead (Logan McRae, #9)
  • In the Cold Dark Ground (Logan McRae, #10)