Start by marking “Little Red Gliding Hood” as Want to Read:
Little Red Gliding Hood

Little Red Gliding Hood

Published October 27th 2015 by Random House Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Little Red Gliding Hood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Red Gliding Hood

Start your review of Little Red Gliding Hood
Luisa Knight
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the fairy tale tie-ins - it made for a really fun and enjoyable read!

Ages: 4 - 8

Cleanliness: there is a picture with a witch.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it! Visit my website: The Book Radar.
Callie Rose Tyler
So cute. I love the aerial view pages that display the entire town or ice rink. These are the type of books I loved to read as a child since there was souch to look at and so many little details to enjoy.

The story is sweet without being overdone or preachy. The language used has a great rythm and sound.

All around, this is a great book for young readers!
Chana Stiefel
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
From the opening spread of Tara Lazar’s new book, LITTLE RED GLIDING HOOD, you’ll be “swizzling and twizzling” into a fun adventure in the frozen enchanted forest of Fairytale Land. Lazar’s Little Red is reimagined as a spunky, bright-eyed figure skater, gliding down the frozen river to grandmother’s house. But her “worn-in and worn-out” skates are making these trips quite a challenge. Suddenly, she sees a solution: “Pairs Skating Competition! The prize: Brand New Skates!” “Oh, slippery slush, I ...more
Molly
A cute take on Red Riding Hood for those who find themselves occasionally sympathetic to the wolf. The art is super cute.
Abigail
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers Who Enjoy Fractured Fairy-Tales
Little Red Gliding Hood needed new ice skates, in order to continue visiting her Grandma on Sundays, but although the upcoming pairs skating competition offered just what she needed, she couldn't seem to find a partner. All of her friends, from the Dish and Spoon to Hansel and Gretel, already had partners. Visiting her grandmother for some counsel, Little Red encountered the Big Bad Wolf, and got the surprise of her life - (view spoiler) ...more
Virginia
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LITTLE RED GLIDING HOOD is everything a fractured fairy tale should be! I love this fun twist on the original story and Tara Lazar did an amazing job of developing her world. The woods are filled with favorite characters from nursery rhymes, children's songs and other classic stories and the supporting cast always acts in character. I think pairing Tara Lazar's clever story with Troy Cumming's artwork was genius. I love his frozen river which winds across the first spread and leads us through ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Little Red Gliding Hood is a fractured fairy tale written by Tara Lazar. It begins with the introduction before the title page, and we’re taken immediately into the story by Troy Cummings‘ clever illustrations.

A fractured fairy tale is a mix-up of nursery rhymes and fairy tales, bringing in characters from different ones to fit in the new story. Tara has the sense of humour to pull this off easily.

Little Red Gliding Hood loved to skate and she was very good at it. She would skate to her
Patricia Bergman
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won this from Goodreads giveaway.

This is a fun story that incorporates familiar fairy tale characters and actually converts the bad guy into a good guy. I couldn't help but smile as I read it. It is now under the Christmas tree for a little girl who cannot live without her books. I know she will just love this one.
Linda
There is much to love in this fractured fairy tale. The first thing I love is that “the big bad wolf” is the “big bad wolf” no more. Little Red Gliding Hood is now an ice skater extraordinaire and the goal is to win an ice skating competition so she can have new skates. Her old ones just aren’t the best anymore. The problem is that it’s a pairs competition and she has no partner. “The dish danced with the spoon, and Hansel spun Gretel like sugar.” The beautifully added bonus is that Little Red ...more
Kid Lit Reviews
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reviews
Little Red Gliding Hood is a fractured fairy tale lover’s dream story. I counted seventeen different fairy tales/nursery rhymes mentioned in Little Red’s newest story. Poor Little Red Gliding Hood, her skates are so worn she may not be able to skate to Grandma’s on Sunday. A skating competition is offering a pair of golden skates as first prize, but Little Red needs a partner. It seems every fairy tale partner, from Hansel and Gretel to Jack Sprat and his wife, are paired up. What is Little Red ...more
Michele Knott
Jun 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I expected a rather typical fractured fairy tale with this book. Instead, it was a clever story that had fairy tale characters embedded within the book but had a new tale for us to enjoy. I liked how the characters often stayed true to the characters we know and love but enjoyed the surprises, as well.
Great illustrations and a really fun introduction to the book.
Tracie
Jul 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Little Red desperately wants to enter the big skating contest, but can't find a suitable partner...until the Big Bad Wolf reveals a hidden talent. This truly funny fractured fairy tale that will delight young readers (and--oh slippery slush!--OLD readers too; I can say that, because I'm old and I thought it was delightful).
Daphne
Love, love, love this book! So many shout-outs to fairy tales and Mother Goose and childhood songs and all things fun plus cool little details throughout make this book a contender for enjoyable repeated readings. Genuinely funny and clever. Love it!
Carrie Charley Brown
Such a clever tale and very punny! :) I love the tie-ins to all of the fairy tale characters and their famous lines!
Lexi
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: traditional-lit
Little Red Gliding Hood is a fractured fairy tale that is written by Tara Lazar and illustrated by Troy Cummings. This tale is very entertaining and will capture your attention from the very first page. Kirkus reviews states, “No skating on thin ice here--it’s a winner.” In this version, Little Red really needs a new pair of ice skates because hers are very old and worn out. She happens to learn that there is a pair ice skating competition taking place with a grand prize of brand new skates for ...more
Rachel
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
K-Gr 4- With a swizzle and a twizzle, Little Red Gliding Hood skates on to the title page as she heads down the river of a wintery wonderland. Along the way, she notices a banner for a skating competition with golden skates offered as the prize. Her rundown pair is in need of replacing, but there's a problem, she needs a partner. In this funny fairytale and nursery rhyme mash-up, characters from their respective stories team up to compete, but what about Red? Turns out the Big Wolf is not so ...more
Dawn
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great Tara Lazar book! My class really enjoyed this and seemed to be quite caught up in the story. It has a good rhythm and many of the phrases we've heard before in other stories. The pictures are really detailed, which also brought about some interesting comments and showed that the kids were really taken in by this story. We had just had a decodable that had a fox in it and so a fox/wolf being tricky was a familiar meta-narrative. This wolf being a not-big and bad wolf brought the ...more
Ingrid Sawubona
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Figure-skating enthusiast, Little Red must win the pairs competition in order to replace her old worn out skates. But to her horror, the only one left to partner with; is the Big Bad Wolf.

It is not until an unfortunate little skate accident, that Little Red realizes just how much she has misjudged the Wolf. And when she defends her choice by making him her skating partner: they swizzle and twizzle and charm their way into everyone’s hearts.

I love the new take on this old fairy tale. The story is
Jessie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
We see characters from a lot of nursery rhymes and fairy tales here. Most of them just make quick cameos, but it's a fun world.

Little Red wants to win new skates in the pairs skating competition, but she needs a partner. She looks and looks and asks several people, but they all have partners or won't do it. But she ends up partnering with the Big (not so) Bad Wolf after he helps her and reveals that he also needs new skates.

You could definitely use this as a jumping-off point to have
Chandler Jordahl
A cute story about Little Red Gliding Hood and the skating competition. She needs a partner to compete with, but who should she choose? The author, Tara Lazar, does a great job of integrating other fairy tales into this text. A lot of great word choice is used in this text, making it a wonderful mentor text for writing. In addition, I have used it with my students to compare and contrast this tale with the traditional tale of Little Red Riding Hood.
Pamela Powell
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK IS ADORABLE! Little Red Gliding Hood ice skates through her village on skates that are falling apart. There is a skating competition with first prize of a new pair of skates but she needs a partner. But everyone already has partners: the dish is skating with the spoon, Hansel is twirling Gretel. So many fairy tales are referenced. This one will as fun for the parents and for the children!
Lara
Cute illustrations and tons of fractured fairy tale/nursery rhyme references. The kids got some of them, the parents got more, and it made it a fun read for me, if nothing else! Lots of fun wordplay too - I love Little Red's all-purpose exclamation, "Oh, slippery slush!"

Used in a storytime for the Olympics (several winter sports-themed picture books) but would also be good for one on ice skating, winter sports in general, or Big Bad Wolves.
Christy
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Little Red Riding Hood straps on her ice skates in this fractured fairy tale! A figure skating enthusiast, Little Red has worn her skates right out and must win a pairs competition to earn new ones. But who will be her partner? The Dish is already dancing with the Spoon, and Hansel is spinning Gretel like sugar. You won’t believe what big eyes, sharp teeth, and long snout her partner has…all the better to spin her with!
Ashley Adkins
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super creative story and so many fun fairy tale references. It was fun to read the text and point out all of the fun references. Loved the style of the art too. Only part I didn't like was that on several pages there was too much text in too many diffeent places on the page. Overall I would highly recommend.
Kelly
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story and how it integrated many different fairy tale characters into it. It's the story of Little Red Gliding Hood whose ice skates are falling apart. She loves to skate and is very good at it. When the prize of a skating competition is a brand new pair of skates, she tries to find a partner, but to no avail.
Ann
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Little Red's skates were worn-in and worn-out. She needs new skates so she can continue skating to Grandma's. She wants to enter a pair skating competition to win new skates. The problem is she needs a skating partner. Who will pair with Little Red? Cameo appearances from many storybook and nursery rhyme characters make this a delightful read.
Jane Healy
I loved this mash-up of fairy tales featuring Little Red Gliding Hood with a Wolf who takes on an entirely new role. They skate as partners to win a new pair of skates, encountering other fairy tale favorites as they go. My granddaughters (ages 3 & 6) often pull this one off of my shelf for a re-read and laugh at the humor in the story and illustrations.
Kaitlyn
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This picture book is fantastic! A fun take on Little Red Riding Hood AND a hat tip to many other Fairytales, which makes the story fun for our daughter and us as well! I love when kid's books have great humor for adults too. And I love how the wolf is interpreted here. I won't give it away, but you'll definitely want to read to find out!
Stephanie Croaning
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2018
This is a really fun take on the traditional story of Little Red Riding Hood. Many other fairy tale characters are included in the story, and children delight in recognizing them. The author plays around with words and the meaning of phrases, so older children enjoy the story as well. There's something for all ages!
Adrienne
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was great! I loved all the fairy tale references and the illustrations. I'll be reading this one to my kids over and over--and won't be getting sick of it like I do with some of the other books we read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Water Is Water: A Book About the Water Cycle
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • Just Because
  • I Yam a Donkey!
  • Pluto Gets the Call
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Stack the Cats
  • No Pirates Allowed! Said Library Lou
  • A Big Mooncake for Little Star
  • Here and Now
  • A Tiger Like Me
Street magic performer. Award-winning ice sculptor. Hog-calling champion. These are all things Tara Lazar has never been. Instead, she prefers baking with her daughters, creating jewelry, and writing stories for children. THE MONSTORE is her first book, inspired by her pesky little brother (who is no longer so pesky). Tara has several picture books to be published in the coming years. I THOUGHT ...more