Start by marking “The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)

The Darkest Kiss

(Lords of the Underworld #2)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  49,240 ratings  ·  1,748 reviews
She has tempted many men...but never found her equal. Until now.

Though she has lived for centuries, Anya, goddess of Anarchy, has never known pleasure. Until Lucien, the incarnation of death—a warrior eternally doomed to take souls to the hereafter. He draws her like no other. And Anya will risk anything to have him.

But when the merciless Lord of the Underworld is ordered
Mass Market Paperback, 368 pages
Published May 27th 2008 by HQN Books

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Kiss, please sign up.
Amy Brobst Each book features a different warrior- i.e. The Darkest Night had Maddox (Violence) and Ashlyn, The Darkest Kiss has Lucien (Death) and Anya, and so…moreEach book features a different warrior- i.e. The Darkest Night had Maddox (Violence) and Ashlyn, The Darkest Kiss has Lucien (Death) and Anya, and so and so forth.(less)

·  49,240 ratings  ·  1,748 reviews

Start your review of The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
Miranda Reads
Feb 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
description

But Miranda...it's been forever since you read this book. Where's the review??

Sometimes, you need a moment to compose yourself after reading a truly awful book.

It's been nearly four months.

*ominous silence*
Welcome one, welcome all to yet another Gena-themed rant.

Now, this book wasn't all bad but that's not to say that there aren't bad parts.

To catch you all up:
The Lords of the Underworld were delectable immortal warriors who were possessed by the demon spirits that had once resided inside
Candace
While I expected this book to be really great, it ended up just being a middle of the road type of read for me. This was definitely a case of "it's not you, it's me", as there wasn't a single thing "wrong" with this story. Mostly, I think it is just a result of reading some phenomenal books recently, which has kind of raised the bar. Any other week, it probably would've been a 4-star read.

That being said, I found myself losing interest in this book. I was listening to the Audible version and the
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

He was known as The Dark One. Malach ha-Maet. Yama. Azreal. Shadow Walker. Mairya. King of the Dead. He was all of those things and more, for he was a Lord of the Underworld.

This one was sooo much better than the first, with two awesome main characters and a great story :)
I really loved it :)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Lucien, the Lord who carries the demon of Death, gets an order from Cronus, the King of the Titans, to kill someone.
That someone is Anya, the goddess of anarchy, who has been following him for months.
Anya
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Nov 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of paranormal romance with a strong, unpredictable heroine
I loved this book. Lucien was absolutely sigh-worthy to me. So sad and lonely. And, he got his very own heroine who wouldn't give up on him. I think it took some major confidence to go after her man full throttle the way Anya did. From the beginning, I knew I would like Anya. She was the kind of heroine who knows what she wants, and is willing to work for it. Yes, she's a prankster, rather silly, in her own words, and not much for telling the truth, and she can be a pain in the butt at times. ...more
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
4.5 Anarchy and Sass Stars

The Darkest kiss, the second book in the LOTU series was a good read, but not as good as book 1. I liked Lucien, but he got on my nerves a bit with this emo "I'm so ugly, no one loves me, I'm going to eat worms" crap. It got old really quick and he did it for so long that I wanted to slap him. I mean I get it, he was badly scarred, but God. Lucien(who housed the Demon of Death in him) was a tortured soul. As the carrier of Death he had to take souls to Heaven or Hell.
xrysa
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy

Lucien

Anya

Lucien is the Lord who is possessed by the spirit of death .We could characterize him as miserable since he is feeling bad and unworthy due to his looks .He has mismatched eyes and long time ago he decided to scar his own face. As we read he isn’t the happy and funny type. However he managed to draw Anya’s attention and she's following him for months.
Anya is the goddess of Anarchy and definitely bad news for Lucien .She is courageous, fearless, dynamic and way different than him .She
Exina
“You stabbed me,” he said, incredulous.
“Feel free to keep the dagger as a souvenir.”

The Darkest Kiss is the second book of the Lords of the Underworld series, the story of Lucien, Keeper of Death, and Anya, goddess of Anarchy.

Lucien is resigned with his occupation as the escort of souls Heaven and Hell, composed, reserved, honorable and always stoic. As a warrior he is savage, as a lover he is passionate and tender.
Having once lost his human lover, he never planned to fall in love again.
Michelle
Sep 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 Death & The Goddess Stars!
This is the second book in the Lords of the Underworld PNR series. I loved it more than the first one. This was Lucien and Anya's story.
Lucien is cursed with the death demon. You know...someone dies and he goes off to collect their soul and escorts them to Heaven or Hell.
Anya is the Goddess of Anarchy. I loved her so much in the last book and loved her more in this one. She's fierce, funny and does and says what the hell she wants. She wants Lucien.
Lucien was
Sophia Triad
Lucien: Demon of Death
Butterfly: upper left shoulder and front of chest
His curse: He is the Lord of the Underword’s version of Grim Reaper. What could it be worse than this? He has seen people that he loved, die. And he had to take their souls to the underworld.

Anya: Minor Greek goddess of Anarchy
Supernatural ability: She can create chaos and she is immortal

Lucien used to be the Captain of the Immortal Guard at the Zeus’s army. Now, he is the leader of the Lords. His face is disfigured and full
Pavlina Read more sleep less blog❤❤
"She kissed and nipped at his face, her hands tangling into his hair. “I thought I’d lost you.” “You gave up everything for me.”

I enjoyed this book a lot!!Anya is one of my favorite heroine after Danika!!She was so funny,strong and so sexy!!Exactly what Lucien needed!!Both of them had serious issues!

Omg poor Lucien!!He is so tortured..I really felt sorry for him when I learnt how he got his scars!I loved the sexual tension between them, it was so entertaining!The romance was also good and I
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Check out this and my other reviews at My Blog, Facebook, Google+, Twitter and Pinterest

Book Basics

Genre : - Paranormal Romance
Series : - 2nd in the series
Love triangle? - (view spoiler)
Cheating? - (view spoiler)
HEA? - (view spoiler)
Would I read more by this author/or in this series? - Yes
Rating - 4 stars

Review

I read book 1 in the series a cpl years back, really enjoyed it, but for some reason, did not carry on with the
Peep (Pop! Pop!)
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Crazy people like me
Perhaps I spoke too soon regarding this series? I was surprised to see that this book had higher ratings than the first book? What gives, folks? I was really unimpressed with this one. My ratings ranged from 1 to 3 stars in the book, never anything higher than that. Yes, I know I said I liked a touch of ridiculousness, but the keyword was a touch of ridiculous! Not absurd.... which is exactly what I got throughout the book.

Lucien was not a bad hero. I did not like that he was weak or losing for
Deborah Obida
This is now my favourite in the series, I doubt any of the books will live up to this The main reason why this is now my favourite is ANYA, the female protagonist.

You can go with me,” Lucien snapped.
Ah, such enthusiasm. Irritated, she ran her tongue over her teeth. Still, his demands and growls were better than all those weeks of implacable composure. Huh. Maybe she should push him a little more. “Sorry. What’d you say?” She cupped a hand over her ear. “I couldn’t hear you.”
“You can go with
Eastofoz
Jul 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: LOTU series readers & those who can handle a royal pain of a heroine
Shelves: paranormal, 2010
It took me over a year to read this book. I’d pick it up and put it down countless times because Anya is just one the most annoying heroines ever written. She drives you round the bend like nails on a chalkboard. The heroine and the hero really ruin what could have been an otherwise good story which pretty much explains why I could only hack this book in small doses.

The backdrop of the story continues on from book 1 in the Lords of the Underworld series where these warriors have all inherited a
Fran
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars

I really thought I was going to love this but it didn't work for me. I enjoyed the beginning--so hot!--but for some reason, I just lost interest in the end. I probably wouldn't even have finished if I didn't skim through the last several chapters. But judging by the high ratings from my Goodreads friends, perhaps it was a case of it's not you, it's me.
Elle
4.5 STARS!

The Darkest Kiss is one of my most fave read in LOTU series. Ugh Lucien... I have a special spot for scared man. As an incarnation of death, he has very 'important' job to escort the soul. He's the only person who have Teleportation to places also the boss in this group.

Pros:
+ As the (minor) Goddess of Anarchy, Anya is the most bad-ass heroine I've ever met. She's brave and very mouthy ;) She really likes drive him mad.
+ Lucien
+ I liked both Lucien and Anya. They're really completing
Bry
May 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Well I certainly enjoyed this book much better than the first in the series, and think that I will now continue on with the series so I am glad I decided to give it another chance.

I think I just enjoyed Lucian and Anya's characters much more than Maddox and Ashlyn. They seemed so complex and they each had so many layers to the emotions and actions. Although I must say the plot in this book was pretty thin. It did do a good job of picking up mini story lines from the previous book (like Aeron,
Anna
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Delicious, scarred and irresistible Lucien ...more
Kellie Maddox-Ward
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Photobucket

THE BACK STORY

Long ago twelve immortals warriors made by Zeus, became jealous of Pandora she was chosen to guard a box. Inside that box housed some of the most dangerous demons ever known. The Immortals made a horrible mistake of killing Pandora and opening the box. As punishment for the evil they have unleashed each warrior was sentenced to carry one of those demons for all eternity. They are - Violence, Pain, Death, Disease, Disaster, Misery, Doubt, Promiscuity, Defeat, Lies, Secrets, and
Buggy
Opening Line: " Anya, Goddess of Anarchy, daughter of Lawlessness, and dealer of disorder, stood on the edge of a crowded dance floor."

THE DARKEST KISS is book 2 in the exciting and original Lords Of The Underworld series and it's absolutely fantastic. Gena Showalter has outdone herself here, further developing previous characters and sub-plots she has also created my new favourite couple in Lucian and Anya. Their story is filled with raw emotion, tons of sexual tension and non-stop adventure.
Lučka
~~~ 3 "comme ci comme ça" stars~~~

Equal parts of cheesy, boring and entertaining. I was losing interest in this book through the story, but toward the end the story picked up a little and it was semi-enjoyable, I guess. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it either.
There was one thing I really hated in this book. H recalled his dead ex-lover everytime he did something with h as in:
Mariah(ex) was my first and only true love. I suffered and burnt like that time I grieved for Mariah. I
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
4 STARS ...more
Glamdring
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just LOVED reading that book. Anya and Lucien are with Aeron and Olivia my favorite couple of this series. Anya, the minor goddess of anarchy, is just hilarious. Gena Showalter created an heroine who is all at once sassy, irreverent, full of mischief and sensitive. With Lucien who hosts Death they are the perfect match.
Emily May

Sexiness: 5 stars
Ending: 4 stars

Overall: 4 stars

Jen Davis
As much as I loved, The Darkest Night, I think I may just love this one a bit more. Why? Because I'm a sucker for a tortured hero, that's why. And Lucien fits the bill in a big way. He is one of the Lords of the Underworld, immortal warriors cursed to each hold a demon's soul inside his body. Lucien's demon is Death itself. He's lived a long, lonely existence. He fell in love once, hundreds of years ago, but was forced to ferry his woman's soul to the Otherworld. It was just too much for him to ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008-reads
My, my, my. I don't know how I'm going to wait another month for the final book in this trilogy by Gena Showalter. I really enjoyed the first book "The Darkest Night" (see my review), but I just loved "The Darkest Kiss". And the hunk on the cover...whew, hold on to your hats ladies, cause he's one steaming hunk of manhood, er demonhood?

He is Death. Since he was the leader of his men and released the demons from the box, it's only fitting that the demon he houses is Death. His job is to ferry the
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ammp-challange
Wo i could not put this book down i loved both Anya and Lucian and how they love and protect each other before either of them knows they are capable!!!!

The book takes off when the mischievous minor Goddess Anya gives in to a small infatuation she has with Lucian, once the mutual attraction sets its claws in there seems to be no escape for the MC'S no matter who threatens them!!!

Again we get glimpses into the other characters and how their stories may pan out, the struggle with the hunters....
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
I think Anya has to be my favourite female so far. She's much more entertaining and she's just so hilarious. She's a big leap from Ashlyn and Danika, but she's worth it. My favorite parts have to be when Anya, Lucien and William are together. The chemistry flies!

Speaking of chemistry, Lucien and Anya are hot together. They may be my favorite pairing out of the books I have read so far, although Scar and Gid are also up there.

There's always one thing I wish there was more of in Showalter's
Gary
Sep 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
even better than the first book five stars all the way I think anya is great as nuts as can be but great

• Dark Needs at Night's Edge (Immortals After Dark, #4)
  • Ecstasy Unveiled (Demonica #4)
  • Demon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark, #9)
  • Desire Unchained (Demonica #2)
  • Dark Desires After Dusk (Immortals After Dark, #5)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Immortals After Dark, #2)
  • Kiss of a Demon King (Immortals After Dark, #6)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #10)
  • A Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, #1)
  • Passion Unleashed (Demonica #3)
  • Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night (Immortals After Dark, #3)
  • Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1)
  • Sin Undone (Demonica #5)
  • The Warlord Wants Forever (Immortals After Dark, #0.5)
  • Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, #8)
  • Caressed by Ice (Psy-Changeling #3)
  • Lothaire (Immortals After Dark, #11)
  • Shadow's Claim (Immortals After Dark, #12; The Dacians, #1)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • Wicked Nights (Angels of the Dark, #1, Lords of the Underworld #9.25)
  • Beauty Awakened (Angels of the Dark, #2, Lords of the Underworld #9.5)
“He had a bleeding cut on his leg and he smelled like shit.
Her nose wrinkled. "Step in something?" she asked innocently.
"That I did not mind." He took a menacing step toward her. "What I did mind was being hit by a cab, then landing on the lap of a naked man. With an erection, Anya. He had an erection.”
312 likes