Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “Couchsurfing im Iran: Meine Reise hinter verschlossene Türen” as Want to Read:
Couchsurfing im Iran: Meine Reise hinter verschlossene Türen
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

Couchsurfing im Iran: Meine Reise hinter verschlossene Türen

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  682 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Eine Bikiniparty in der Pilgerstadt Mashhad, eine Übernachtung neben dem Atomkraftwerk Bushehr, ein Sadomaso-Geheimtreffen in Teheran: Im Iran erlebt Stephan Orth Abenteuer, die kein Reiseveranstalter jemals in seinen Katalog schreiben würde. Als Couchsurfer tauscht er Hotel gegen Privatquartier und lernt das Land so von seiner ganz privaten Seite kennen. Denn hinter versc ...more
Paperback, 249 pages
Published March 9th 2015 by Malik
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about Couchsurfing im Iran, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Couchsurfing im Iran

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

Showing 1-30
Rating details
Sort: Default
|
Filter
Anne Goldschrift
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Der Iran wird wohl keines meiner nächsten Reiseziele werden, trotzdem fand ich es interessant hinter iranische Türen zu gucken. Vor allem das Schlusswort war toll. Aber dennoch hat es mich nicht ganz überzeugt, war mir zu aufgesetzt und zu wenig informativ was Land und Kultur abseits der Couchsurfer bietet.
Paul
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Due to current circumstances, my ability to go traveling off to far-flung place in the world has become very limited. traveling is my second love after books, So this is how I came to find my self staring at the rows of shelves in the travel section at the bookstore. I figure its the next best thing right. These days there are so many books out there about this very subject, the store I was in has one whole wall devoted just to travel guides and maps. So as I gazed at destinations familiar (as ...more
Jeanette
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For some of this book, especially within the first 4 or so chapters, I thought this was a 2 or 2.5 star at the most. But as he got through that first visa extension and he was into some of the steaming hot locations not far from Iraq, then I thought it got better. And because he is honest and the progression was not difficult to read, despite all these jumpy changes? So it ended up a 3.5 star that I rounded up.

Actually, I feel I'm a poor audience for this read. I have strong antithesis for some
...more
Seleucid
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Replace Iran with Syria in the text, and this book would be a 98% true representation of the couchsurfing and alternate community flourishing in pre-war Syria. That made this read very relatable and whimsical to a special part of my past life.

Stephan shows a tangible empathy in the books to the tragedy of the colorful characters he meets. His description of the landscapes and the nightly adventures is beautifully vivid.

My warning would have been that the characters in this book are only a specia
...more
Patrizia
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Genialer Reisebericht
Shima
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When your country is one of the most misrepresented countries in the world, you'd obviously get your hands on a book about the actual experiences of a foreigner visiting it. How could you not?

I knew I had to read this book, and I knew that either way it would be a tricky experience. I love my country. I love it in a way that is rare and slightly looked down upon. I love it in the all-encompassing, completely biased and blind way usually reserved for family members and favourite authors. I love
...more
Coco
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Durch das Buch erhält man viele interessante Eindrücke über den Iran und hat fast selber Lust in das Land zu reisen.
Gitti
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ich hatte schon mehrfach von diesem Buch gehört und immer waren die Meinungen positiv. Trotzdem habe ich gezögert es zu lesen. Der Iran ist einfach nicht meine Gegend.

Dank Stephan Orth weiss ich jetzt aber doch ein wenig mehr über die Einwohner dieses Landes. Mehr als man aus den aktuellen Medienberichten entnehmen kann. Er berichtet von den Menschen, die in diesem Land leben, ihrer Gastfreundlichkeit, dem Spaß am Leben, den sie haben, aber auch von der allgegenwärtigen Angst vor dem Staat.
Und t
...more
Jess
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rezension gibts auf meinem Blog

https://nayafae.blogspot.de/2017/09/b...
Saturday's Child
Aug 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great “armchair travel” read.
Chris
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
3.5
Kueckibooks
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ein wirklich sehr empfehlenswertes Buch! Orth zeichnet ein ganz anderes Bild vom Iran und zeigt damit einen wunderbaren kontrast zu dem korrupten Iran, welchen wir sonst nur aus Nachrichtensendungen kennen. Ich habe es geliebt, mit wie viel Leidenschaft und Offenheit Orth bei der Sache ist und wie man es ihm auf jeder Seite abnimmt, dass das Land ihn verzaubert hat. In jeder seiner vielen Geschichten schafft er es, einen mit in den Iran zu nehmen, auf skurille Parties, tiefgründige Gespräche, en ...more
Denise
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2018
Couchsurfing may be technically forbidden in Iran (just like quite a few other things that have nonetheless found their way into this account), but journalist Stephan Orth did it anyway: For two months, he travelled all over Iran, getting to know the country and its people, gaining a glimpse of what goes on behind the curtains and closed doors, far beyond the picture usually shaped by travel guides, stereotypes and clichés. The result is an intriguing, informative and immensely entertaining book ...more
•ljuba•
Jul 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I think his more recent book about couchsurfing in russia was better but I still enjoyed reading this one - especially because I knew so few things about Iran.
I wish it would‘ve provided more information about the politics, but it was still really interesting.
Susanne Pichler
Stephan Orth besucht ein Land, das wohl bei den wenigsten als Urlaubsziel in Erwägung gezogen wird: den Iran. Noch dazu ist er als Couchsurfer unterwegs. Eine Art des Reisens, bei der man sich am besten gleich auf einige Überraschungen einstellt.
Man beginnt diese Reise mit Stephan Orth am Flughafen von Teheran, wo die Passagiere mehr als in anderen Ländern merken, dass hier so manches anders läuft: Aufforderungen wie "Respected Ladies: Observe the Islamic dress code", eine andere Zeitrechnung, d
...more
Jason
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm an avid traveller but (a) couchsurfing is definitely not my style and (b) I don't have a strong desire to visit Iran. Despite this, I really wanted to find out more about Orth's travels and how he sets out to debunk the myth of the Middle East being conservative and inhospitable.

Orth has a great time with the locals, and attributes this to the friendliness and hospitable nature of the people. However, I do believe a large part of this has to do with the author's ability to connect with diffe
...more
Cornelia
Sep 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sehr unterhaltsam geschrieben, habe an einigen Stellen laut gelacht. Positiv ist natürlich der Einblick, durch den man den Menschen und dem Land näherkommt, dessen Bild bei uns sehr durch Negativschlagzeilen geprägt ist. Auf der anderen Seite erscheint mir der unterhaltsame Ton der Situation nicht gerecht. Bei Gesetzesbrüchen wird immer wieder scherzhaft erwähnt, wie viele Peitschenhiebe zu erwarten wären. Für die Iraner selbst ist das natürlich Galgenhumor, für westliche Leser wird dadurch der ...more
Wiedźma
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Couchsurfing w Iranie. (Nie)codzienne życie Persów" to ciekawy reportaż pokazujący inną stronę życia w Iranie, stronę, której nie zobaczymy w mediach. Stephan Orth pokazał, że kraj ten zamieszkują nie tylko religijni fanatycy, ale też ciekawi życia ludzie, nie kierujący się konwenansami i szablonowym myśleniem. To zabawna i lekka lektura, która idealnie nadaje się na zimowe wieczory.

Całość na: https://wiedzma-czyta.blogspot.com/20...
Tasmin
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wundervoll geschrieben, witzig und sehr sehr wichtig. Ich empfehle es JEDEM
Verena
3 1/2 stars

Somehow I did not like the book as much as I expected. It's still a book I would recommend, I learned a lot about life in Iran and I really hope I can see it for myself one day.
Jeruen
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Continuing on my goal of reading books in German, I picked up Couchsurfing im Iran by Stephan Orth. I am sticking to travel narratives for the moment, as it seems this genre is the easiest to comprehend given my German language abilities. Anyway, one other thing I liked about this book is that the author went to a destination that I also have a high interest in, that is, Iran. While the author went to Iran two years before me, there were plenty of things he narrated that sounded familiar to me. ...more
ZeilenZauber
Mar 24, 2018 rated it liked it
‘*‘ Meine Meinung ‘*‘
Eine Freundin hat mir das Buch geschenkt und war begeistert. Auch viele andere Leser sind total begeistert und bis zu einem gewissen Grat stimme ich auch zu.
Es ist interessant zu erfahren, wie die Menschen im Iran denken. Was sie von der Regierung und den Gesetzten halten. Mit welchen Ängsten sie leben und trotzdem Dinge tun, die verboten sind.
Doch einerseits ist das Bild recht einseitig. Stephan traf nur Menschen aus der gebildeten Schicht der 25- bis 30-jährigen.
Anderersei
...more
khveronika
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Nach dem fertiglesen des "Couchsurfing in Russland" Buches, bin ich von der iranischen Version sogar mehr begeistert! Der Unterschied zwischen den beiden ist, dass in der Iran-Ausführung mehr Zeit genommen wurde, über die Personen und die Interaktionen mit den Leuten zu schildern, anstatt eher nur über das Land im Allgemeinen.

Der angenehme & die Spannung haltende Erzählfluss und die Aufmerksamkeit zu den Details bleiben bis zum Ende konstant, so dass ich absolut nichts an dem Buch auszusetze
...more
Erin
Sep 11, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of us will never experience Iran because of the political climate and the unwillingness of the citizens to rise up and effect change. It was interesting to read about this man's experience meeting locals and traveling throughout the country, although frankly, the dangers involved don't seem quite worth it. The cover photo is gorgeous but what I mainly took away from this is that the people of Iran need to want to change their country enough so that instead of running away, they stand and fi ...more
Peter Stuart
Oct 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The year is 2014. A German journey's to Iran, local year 1393, to embark on a couch surfing month long odyssey where his goal is to "become a local" over the course of his time there. As with most independent travelers he has a rough plan, the ability to be flexible about where he goes and the added advantage of a few contracts from previous trip to Iran.

And off he goes.

What follows is a well written tale of his experiences with locals, the bureaucracy and actions of government, some legacies
...more
Sarah
Mar 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
Ich muss sagen, dass ich etwas enttäuscht von dem Buch bin.

Es war informativ, ich habe viel über die Mentalität von Iranern gelernt und denke auch, dass das Buch einen guten Eindruck vermittelt, wie groß die Unterschiede zu Deutschland sind. Aber nach der Hälfte des Buches wiederholen sich die Themen der verschiedenen Begegnungen und irgendwann war es einfach nur noch langweilig.

Mir hat es auch gefehlt, Sehenswürdigkeiten einzubeziehen. Darauf liegt nicht der Fokus, das ist mir klar. Aber ich h
...more
Gabrielle
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
The book was an interesting introduction into the younger, modern Iranian lifestyle. It brought to my attention a lot of social problems, and other issues that face normal Iranians that are caused by the sanctions. Stephan's encounter vary, therefore the quality and how interesting each section is dependent on each individual encounter-- some were a bit dull, while others were a good laugh and fascinating. Overall the setup of the book is nice even though a few encounters lacked a bit... and I a ...more
Brynn
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who loves the idea of travel (but is too young at the moment and currently still in the 'research' process of the idea of Workaway, Couchsurfing, housesitting, etc) this piqued my attention quite easily on the shelf.

Stephan Orth made learning and reading his experience a comical and entertaining one, he gave a good amount of detail to really tell how everything was, he provided quite resourceful information and he did a wonderful job at keeping it quite a pleasant and casual read as
...more
Kasia (Kącik z książką)
Couchsurfing w Iranie to reportaż nie tyle na temat kraju, co jego mieszkańców i wrażeń autora z przebytej podróży. Orth pisze lekko, często z przymrużeniem oka i nutką ironii, a swoją opowieść przeplata zapisami wiadomości smsowych wymienianych z osobami, które odwiedził oraz konkretnymi wskazówkami, jak postępować w Iranie, by nie popełnić gafy bądź zwyczajnie przetrwać różnice kulturowe. Całość zwieńczona jest zdjęciami, szkoda tylko że czarno-białymi.

Cała opinia:
http://www.kacikzksiazka.pl/2
...more
Ninanin
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
If you want to read a great book about Iran by someone who did more that just meet 1000 people for 5 minutes each read Bruni Prasskes "Mögen deine Hände niemals schmerzen".
This book was interesting enough but mostly for people who have a very clicheed image of Iran. The author tries to come across as open and worldly but he actually writes that North America had no culture 10000 years ago (um, ever heard of the First Nations/Native Americans? I guess not). Also, his sweeping generalizations of "
...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
topics  posts  views  last activity   
Other edition 1 1 Oct 29, 2017 11:20AM  
other edition 2 2 Oct 19, 2017 11:44AM  
  • Der Junge muss an die frische Luft: Meine Kindheit und ich
  • Das große Los
  • Mein Leben
  • Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World Study Guide: Finding Intimacy with God in the Busyness of Life (A 10-Session Series for Personal Or Group Study)
  • Die Kunst, kein Egoist zu sein
  • Das entschwundene Land
  • Dix raisons (possibles) à la tristesse de pensée
  • Bibelausgaben, Die Bibel nach der Übersetzung Martin Luthers, mit Apokryphen, Neue Rechtschreibung, Schwarz (#1241)
  • What is the Point of Being a Christian?
  • Earth and Fire (Earth Girl #0.5)
  • Ancient Trees: Portraits of Time
  • Arenas movedizas
  • The Girl Behind the Door: A Father's Journey Into the Mystery of Attachment
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2015: Queers Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Running Like China
  • That Should Be a Word: A Language Lover’s Guide to Choregasms, Povertunity, Brattling, and 250 Other Much-Needed Terms for the Modern World
  • For a Song and a Hundred Songs: A Poet's Journey Through a Chinese Prison
  • A Single Stone
“Es gibt keine schlechten Orte, wenn du reist, um Mensen zu treffen", sagt Saeed.
[There are no bad places, when you travel to meet people]”
0 likes
“[Nach vielen Nächten in Privatwohnungen kann ich den Aufenthalt im Hotel niet genießen, auch wenn das Bett bequemer ist als jeder Teppich] Wer häufig das Echte erlebt, schärft seinen Blick für die Inszenierung. [Die Freundlichkeit des Personals fühlt sich anders an als die Freundlichkeit meiner Gastgeber. Weil ich dafür bezahle, dass sie nett zu mir sind.]” 0 likes
More quotes…