Start by marking “Dogwood Blues” as Want to Read:
Dogwood Blues

Dogwood Blues

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  46 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
DOGWOOD BLUES is a work of sassy southern fiction. Told through the voices of its eccentric characters, DOGWOOD BLUES depicts life in Dogwood, Georgia, a small town near the Alapaha River that is struggling with change.

When Kevin Kilmer, award-winning New York author, moves back to Dogwood's historic district to write his memoir, he crashes headfirst into his heartbreakin
Published February 26th 2015 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Dogwood Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dogwood Blues

Lace
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is pure southern fiction. Dogwood Blues tells the story of a small town in the modern South and how the community deals with change. The narrative is seductive and poetic, but it is also brutal, sassy, and downright mean at times. In Trampus Pitts, Rose creates an extraordinary secondary character that comes to life as flawed, daring, and heroic. And by the way, he is gay. In Kevin Kilmer, we see a damaged spirit in search of healing, a writer who has returned to his hometown to write ...more
Ryan
May 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dogwood Blues is a novel with a ton of characters, plotlines, and themes packed into it. This is astounding because the novel itself is not that long. It’s a relatively quick read, but only because you fall in love with the characters, even the ones you should hate. I dare you to put it down.

Every character has their own arc, but the characters that I found to be the most interesting was Kevin Kilmer and Boone Marshall. Both show a man trying to come to terms with their own past.

Kilmer, a renow
Patricia Levack
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brenda Sutton Rose's first novel Dogwood Blues, won through Goodreads Firstreads.
Words to describe how much I loved this book are hard to come by, it's the kind of novel I could read everyday.
Small town problems. Gossiping women. High school days. Abuse. All kinds of marriages. Music. Cooking.
There are humorous moments, distressful moments mixed with music, the river and the land they love.
The characters of the Honeysuckle Bridge Club are so real with their gossiping news of what is going on fr
Rena
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I won a GR giveaway!

It was an easy and enjoyable read with an intriguing plot...about the people in a small Southern town and how they adapt to changes in their town and ultimately learn that change takes place within themselves.

It is a story of humanness--about how we are often blind to the truth--because things are not as they always seem.

Rose was able to develop the characters with dialogue and reflections from the characters betwe
Phil Romanus
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The only book I have ever reviewed. a great read with great characters. Can't wait for the next book. An easy read and a pleasure to read.
K.E. Garvey
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I began reading, I immediately thought of Steel Magnolias as the character Nell could have passed for Weezer’s long lost cousin. One of the first scenes happened in Lottie’s beauty parlor, also reminiscent to Truvey’s salon in the same movie. I was pleasantly surprised when the similarities ended there.

The story followed several main characters, some quirky and others a bit less believable, but their differences made up the backbone of a typical small town in the south.

Although I didn’t fee
Oregon
Dogwood Blues by Brenda Sutton Rose. I’ll begin by saying this: Brenda Sutton Rose can tell one hell of a story. Her first novel is as seductive as her poetry. And if you haven’t searched for her poetry and short stories on the internet, you should.

Rose weaves the tale of Dogwood Blues with a seductive narrative, told with bravado flourishes, faint foreshadowing, sharp humor, and poignant expressions. She uses pure poetry in her descriptions of the Alapaha River and the southern earth, crops, an
Erin Sandlin
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The story moves lickety-split from the first page. The characters are vibrant and reminiscent of people I know, and the plot kept me interested. Yes, I'm from Georgia, and I read it in part because nostalgia is added to the water around here, much like fluoride. I just had to, but I was not disappointed. I was captivated and gratified. Rose even managed to elicit sympathy for Nell--an embittered, widowed gossip who stirred the community up for her own entertainment. But then, Nell's story was al ...more
Sheila O'Neal
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Captivating

Grabbed my attention from page one. The development of the characters was smooth and intriguing. Small town life and it's humor was spot on. I didn't want it to end.
Elizabeth Jennings
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was honored to be asked to write a blurb for this book's cover. As a fellow Southern girl, I can say she hit the nail on the head. I like the complexity of the characters and their search for meaningful connection.
Cris Lawson
Aug 14, 2015
Shashi
Jan 24, 2017
  • Man in Profile: Joseph Mitchell of The New Yorker
  • The Philosophy and Science of Yoga: The Power of Self-Expression 5,000 Years in the Making
  • The Vermeer Conspiracy
  • The Bus Ride
  • The True-Life Adventures of Genie and Janny: An American Original and His Faithful Corporal at Arms
  • I Dreamt of Trees
  • On Life's Little Twists and Turns
  • Grimm Mistresses
  • The Trees Have Hearts
  • Finding (My)Self (Love): One Girl's Journey of 17 Countries Across 4 Continents in 6 Months
  • The Best of Fools
  • Nick and Tesla's Special Effects Spectacular: A Mystery with Animatronics, Alien Makeup, Camera Gear, and Other Movie Magic You Can Make Yourself! (Nick and Tesla, #5)
  • Baby Grand (Baby Grand #1)
  • The Last Seeker (Tristen, #1)
  • A Highland Knight's Desire (Highland Dynasty, #2)
  • A Ring, a Dance, a Second Chance
  • Maude Brown's Baby
  • Something Yellow
“Are you aware that Jesus Christ can spell? I get so tired of you spelling every slang and cuss word that crosses your mind, as though you are pulling one over on the Lord.” 6 likes
“Farm labor had stained his hands, but music stained his heart.” 4 likes