Start by marking “Ivar, Timewalker, Volume 1: Making History” as Want to Read:
Ivar, Timewalker, Volume 1: Making History

Ivar, Timewalker, Volume 1: Making History

(Ivar, Timewalker #1)

From the dawn of the dinosaurs…to the Battle of Trafalgar…to the end of time itself…the first century-spanning adventure of Ivar, Timewalker starts here!

At this very moment in Geneva, Switzerland, history is being made. A thousand meters underground inside the Large Hadron Collider, researcher Neela Sethi is about to discover time travel – and jeopardize her life in the pr
Paperback, Trade, 112 pages
Published May 27th 2015 by Valiant Entertainment, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Ivar, Timewalker, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ivar, Timewalker, Volume 1

Anne
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A really fun and interesting take on time travel!

description

Ivar is the brother of Armstrong of Archer & Armstrong fame. And so apparently, this time travel gig is due to his fuck-up with whatever happened back in the day - the pre-pre-historic day referred to in The Michelangelo Code story. Which also explains how Ivar kept popping up as a Jesus figure to Archer and kind of trying to nudge him toward helping Armstrong.

description

It opens with Ivar nabbing a young scientist (Neela) who is just about to discover s
Chad
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another fantastic Valiant book. Basically Dr. Who set in the Valiant Universe but with an intelligent companion. The book immediately explores the tenets of time travel. I loved that every time traveler immediately tries to go and kill Hitler and that the universe won't allow major events to be changed. The issue where Neela repeatedly tries to save her father was very well-written.
Sam Quixote
May 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
Of the three Anni-Padda brothers, Ivar is definitely the most boring. Armstrong is a drunken adventurer, Gilad is a fighter - Ivar is basically a museum docent. He “walks” through time with people, showing them history, not altering it, and then doing it all over again. Well, lucky us for getting a whole series of that!

Fred Van Lente is best-placed to write this, not just because he’s the Archer and Armstrong writer, but because of his indie series Action Philosophers where he could apply that
L. McCoy
Now, normally I'm a bit of a Valiant fanboy. They're probably my favorite superhero universe publisher... but they really screwed up here... well, at least compared to many of their books.

What's it about?
A scientist is about to accidentally create time travel so of course a time traveler goes back in time to take her and an evil organization is after her.

Pros:
The art is fantastic as it is in most Valiant books.
The action scenes are good.
Like most Valiant (one of the reasons I like the Valiant u
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

It's Doctor Who, and I've never seen an episode of Doctor Who.

Ivar What's His Name meets Neela What's Her Name to prevent her from being destroyed by Arnold Schwarzenegger - oh, whoops, wrong time travel story. Anyway, they have to run through a bunch of different eras, because when you have time travel in your story, you are morally obligated to 1) go back to prehistoric days, 2) try to kill Hitler, and 3) try to keep your dead parent from dying.

This book acts like it has "science
Javier Muñoz
Serie muy entretenida de saltos en el tiempo, Ivar Anni-Padda interrumpe a Nehli Sethi, una científica a punto de realizar un experimento que la llevará a descubrir los viajes en el tiempo, a partir de entonces comienzan una huída distintas épocas para evitar que les atrapen los prometeanos, unos constructos tecnológicos del futuro que se pueden desplazarse en las cuatro dimensiones.

Una historia muy loca y divertida en la que Fred Van Lente intenta huir de las paradojas típicas de los relatos de
Brian Poole
Jul 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Ivar, Time Walker is another well-done Valiant Comics revival.

Making History does a decent job of introducing Ivar for those unfamiliar with him. The eldest of three immortal brothers, he possesses a “time compass” that allows him to calculate where and when “timearcs” will open up. Basically, windows through time and space that allow Ivar to travel across centuries.

Making History sees Ivar intercepting researcher Neela Sethi just before she completes an experiment that would “invent” time trave
Logan
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
DNF 75%.

I read the first three issues of this volume...and then completely forgot about it until I saw it in my "Currently Reading" list.

If Dan Slott's Silver Surfer series is "Doctor Who in the Marvel Universe", then this series is "Doctor Who in the Valiant Universe". And that sounds like it should be fun. But the end result is just boring. Ivar, the time-traveling protagonist, has the personality of a block of wood. The story is meandering and forgettable. The art is fine, if unremarkable.

Ehh
Rebecca
Sep 19, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is one of those books I very much just got because the cover is really pretty (though I feel like that's not a bad thing to do when it comes to buying graphic novels because art is 50% of the story/book) and unfortunately the cover was my favourite thing about it. It looks kinda David Aja-esque so I had to get it, failing to remember at the time that I dislike time travel stories and probably wouldn't like this one either.

It wasn't BAD but it wasn't really for me. There were lots of complic
47Time
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-scifi
The artwork is great and the story is just accessible enough, considering the complexities of time travel, to be highly entertaining and funny to boot. It's easy to recommend to anyone looking for strong, human characters and detailed universe mechanics with a hint of sci-fi.

Ivar Anni-Padda travels through time to save the life of the inventor of time travel, Neela Sethi. They jump through time to get away from their pursuers, cyborgs that Ivar claims want to change the past in their image. He r
Pawan Rai
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cleverly done...
Drown Hollum
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ivar is an absolute blast, and a prime target for itchy Archer and Armstrong addicts. With Ivar we get a darker and more flexible Doctor Who style story, with Valiant's unique rules firmly in place, cementing Ivar in the greater mythology. When we open an FVL book, we have our fingers crossed for funny, because funny is where that man thrives. Luckily, Ivar, Timewalker is hilarious, especially the new Neela Sethi character, who delivers some serious laugh out loud dialogue. Sethi is Ivar's effec ...more
Sarah Booth
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun adventure through time what more could you ask for? Well I suppose great art (check) lots of humour (check) and a great story (check)
Check out Ivar soon another hit from the Valiant Universe which seem to be knocking them out of the park currently. If you want to check out more valiant Quantum and Woody is a must and is also great fun :-)
Alex Sarll
"Jesus! We've somehow fled into a place even more dangerous than the one we were fleeing from! You have failed to grasp the basic concept of 'fleeing'!" A time-travelling spin-off from the same team's Archer & Armstrong, which reads a lot like a pilot for a US reboot of Doctor Who, and not in a bad way.
Joe
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Great art.
I need to read more before I say I love it....
Justin
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
If you crossed Sliders with Doctor Who, and a good portion of the charm somehow got lost along the way, you might end up with something like Ivar, Timewalker. You've got the "We need to be in this exact place, at this exact time, or we'll be stuck here forever" theme of Sliders, except instead of alternate Earths, the characters travel through time, a la Doctor Who. It also has the "fixed points in time" idea from that show, but I'll get to that.

The basic plot starts out with Ivar seemingly tryi
Chris Lemmerman
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
The other, other, Anni-Padda brother takes centre stage as Ivar Anni-Padda kidnaps (sorta) Doctor Neela Sethi, a theoretical physicist literally seconds from discovering time travel. But his motives aren't as clear as you'd hope, as he and Neela take a trip through history that will reveal truths about themselves and the universe that they might not be ready to face.

Think Doctor Who with ulterior motives. No, darker ulterior motives. No, darker. That's it, there you go. Ivar's name might be on t
Gim Yong
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kudos to Van Lente for the slick story-telling that captures the pace perfectly from scene one. Failed to live up to its potential of being another bore (given the countless times the space-time continuum backdrop is overused in comics). The dosage of time-traveling was well-prescribed in each act, unraveling the core story in a way that draws you to flip the next page. The ending page splash of the future Neela was an excellent way to close the chapter and whet our appetite for what's to come.
Bert
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comic-book
Oh, why did I read this? It's a story about time travel (usually a bad idea), and moreover, it seems to be part of a larger "universe" of comics by Valiant (the publisher). Still, it is fairly self-contained, but ultimately I cannot recommend it.
Tomas
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing time-walking series. I think I have found the best series of Valiant reboot. And it was really hard to find because of overall good quality of books. This book makes you scratch your head as you turn pages. I started to read Volume 2 right away.
Jessica Woods
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Ivar, Timewalker Vol. 1 flows with an original storyline, fast paced and action packed, full of colorful nice, clean art for a good read.
Doug S.

Fantastic! A great fun read
Allen Burton
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice beginning

An interesting retelling of Ivar. Valiant is putting in work. I will definitely be continuing this wild ride. Bring on the reunion!
Caitlin
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
I liked that the inventor of time travel here is an Indian-American daughter of an Immigrant BUT, the story itself failed to capture my interest. YMMV
Phillip
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another book from the Comic Bento Rewriting History box. And another Valiant title that I enjoyed quite a bit. Ivar is a time traveler that is trying to protect Neela Sethi, who is about to make a major discovery in terms of time traveling. Neela's discovery is going to be an accident, but once she learns about it she wants to do everything she can to prevent her father's death.

The time travel mechanics can be a little wonky at times. Perhaps it is just the way it is described. The creators make
Zedsdead
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Zedsdead by: Robert
An immortal time traveler appears out of nowhere to save a hot young scientist from assassination moments before she accidentally invents time travel. She whangs the clearly-insane-stalker-guy on the head with lab equipment and calls security...who turn out to be her incipient assassins. There follows a rollicking chase through time, Ivar and science-hottie pursued by explodey golden suicide robots. Also they try to kill Hitler, as a science experiment.

It's a reasonably sophisticated take on tim
Shannon Appelcline
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-valiant
Making History (1-4). Much like the contemporary (ha!) Rai series, Ivar focuses on a new companion brought into our hero's life (Neela). And she's a fun character. Sure, she's there to express the wonder and joy at being suddenly thrust in our hero's crazy world, but she also has problems of her own, and when issue #4 focuses on that, it's the best in the series to date.

Through all of this, Van Lente does a great job of writing a fun action-adventure that simultaneously makes strong use of both
Tom
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ivar is an immortal timewalker, a man who wanders from time period to time period by detecting quick time bursts that go to different times and places. In this volume, he take it upon himself to prevent scientist Neela Sethi from inventing time travel herself. Why? He doesn't quite say, but it looks like he is attempting to prevent certain futures even though he explains that this is an impossible situation.

Guest starring one of his two immortal brothers, the Eternal Warrior, the book is a nice
Shelly
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
An intriguing, time-bending tale about saving the future about a time traveler and the woman who invented time travel. Or something like that. A nice setup, if a bit confusing, and it took me a couple of the four included issues to really get into it. I liked Ivar -- he's a bit of a scoundrel -- but I really liked Neela, the researcher at CERN who is about to discover time travel when Ivar, a time traveler, bursts onto the scene to save her from ... well, that's complicated. I couldn't follow mu ...more
  • The Valiant
  • Quantum and Woody, Volume 1: The World's Worst Superhero Team
  • Jupiter's Legacy, Vol. 1
  • X-Factor, Vol. 21: The End of X-Factor
  • The Sentry
  • God Hates Astronauts, Vol. 1: The Head That Wouldn't Die!
  • Star Trek / Legion of Super-Heroes
  • Booster Gold, Vol. 2: Blue and Gold
  • Southern Cross, Vol. 1
  • Clive Barker's Hellraiser: The Dark Watch Vol. 1
Van Lente was raised by a mystery-loving mother (who preferred Dorothy Sayers to Agatha Christie, but we won't hold that against her) and a wisecracking Woody Allen-lookalike scientist father in what appears to be some kind of genetic experiment to write his first novel, TEN DEAD COMEDIANS, even though neither parent nor the son himself would know it for many years.

Van Lente spent his time betwee

Ivar, Timewalker (3 books)
  • Ivar, Timewalker, Volume 2: Breaking History