Start by marking “Dancing In The Athenian Rain” as Want to Read:
Dancing In The Athenian Rain

Dancing In The Athenian Rain

When Donna is sent back in time to Classical Athens, she's furious at Dr. Stephens for sending her against her wishes. Then a Greek soldier purchases her to be his wife.

She's forced to learn a new language and culture, and faces her fears of never returning to her own time. The society hates her, especially because they think she’s an Amazon, which forces her t
Published September 9th 2015 by Soul Mate Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dancing In The Athenian Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing In The Athenian Rain

Start your review of Dancing In The Athenian Rain
Stephanie (Bookfever)
I'm a really big fan of ancient history, especially set in Greece but unfortunately I couldn't find a single thing in this book that I liked. There was so much wrong with the story that I'm not quite sure how to fit it all into one review.

The thing that initially put me off was the start. Donna's supposedly best friend and also her boyfriend were both pretty much mentally and even physically abusing her and I really didn't see how it related to the entire story. And that was all befo
Erin
Dec 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

I blame Achilles for my interest in Dancing in the Athenian Rain. There wasn't a direct link as he doesn't appear in the novel, but I'd spent several weeks reading about the Greek hero and was arguably predisposed to the subject matter when I stumbled over the Katie Hamstead's fiction. Unfortunately, the reality of her work didn't hold as much water as Homer's and I spent most of my reading annoyed with the author's presentation.

In terms of wr
Alexandra
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
ARC provided by the author in exhange for an honest review.

Katie Hamstead has a soft spot for time traveling. Especially the one that takes you back to the past! On "Athenian Rain", Donna, girl with low confidence and self-esteem will travel back in time to Athens of 5th century BC, close to the breaking of the Peloponnesian war.

Treated as an Amazon, who in the greek myth is considered a woman wild and untammed, she will be forced into mariagge with Peleus and from there their rela
Lauren (My Expanding Bookshelf)
This is a really hard review to write. I honestly do not know how I feel about Dancing in the Athenian Rain. I didn't hate this book, but I didn't really like it either. It was just an okay read really, which really disappoints me because I've enjoyed the other Katie Hamstead books I've read.

Dancing in the Athenian Rain is set between modern-day Sydney, Australia and Ancient Greece. I really did not understand this. I mean, when Donna time travels back in time, why does she end up in
Tina Susedik
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
While I don't always enjoy books written in first person, I found this one compelling. The author does a good job of showing the reader the emotions of the other characters through the first person character. The setting is well-written, making the reader feel as if they'd been transported to Athens at 650 BC. This is a time travel with a twist, one I would recommend.
Rachel (The Rest Is Still Unwritten)
Michelle
**You can see this full review and more at Book Briefs: http://bookbriefs.net**
My Thoughts

Dancing in the Athenian Rain is a new adult time travel romance by Katie Hamstead. Even though the book is marked as new adult, I feel like it read more like a young adult novel. The main character is 18 years old, so she is borderline between the two genres but the maturity level of the characters pushed it, in my opinion anyway, towards the younger young adult side of the spectrum. Speaking of immature characters
Lillian ☁ Cloud 9 Books ☁
***** 3.75 Stars *****

Donna has always been pushed around by her family and friends. Because of all the criticism, she believed that she was ugly, stupid, and useless.

Her mentor saw Donna's potential, and decided to change her life. He sent her to Athens in 458 BC.

The people thought she was a wild animal. Peleus, a Greek soldier and politician, was mesmerized with her blue eyes and blonde hair, and he purchased her to be his wife.

During this time in Athens, women were oppressed. Donna found herself, and helped other wome
Faye
Feb 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was actually a very interesting read of the author. I loved a good time travel romance and this was a bit different from other books of this genre. This was the second book I've read about time travel that's a world of its own but the heroine from both stories were both different and at the same time sort of similar.

I can totally relate to how Donna feels because that's how I felt about myself but I'm getting to where Donna is at now since she changed so much throughout the whol
Andrea Randall
Dec 13, 2015 rated it liked it
What I loved about this novel was the conservative, eighteen-year-old Donna knows that she doesn’t quite fit in with her wild peers. However, she finds a more confident, brave version of herself when she is transported back in time to ancient Athens.

Donna struggles with certain aspects of Classical Athens society, including ideals of marriage, women as property, slavery and desired luscious feminine curves. But, during this ancient time, she manages to find true love, burry insecurities and bec
Olivia Fox
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, magic
I LOOOOOOVED THIS BOOK!

The Greek civilisation is one of my favourite academic subjets and I really liked how the author was able to portray it.

Peleus was a joy to read about, a firm yet gentle soldier. The way he treated Donna was at the beggining lack a bit of tact, but considering the historic period they were in, it was a bit understandable.

Disregarding her lack of self confidence, Donna was a strong and resilient character. I sympathised with her throughout the book.

Joanne Guidoccio
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A natural storyteller, Ms. Hamstead excels in plotting and character development. From the start, I was drawn to Donna (the protagonist) and rooted for throughout her “Hero’s Journey.” At first resistant to time travel, Donna eventually adapts to life in Classical Athens where she meets and marries Peleus, a Greek soldier. Her path is a non-linear one, filled with unexpected twists, turns and detours. An entertaining and inspiring read!
Julie
I absolutely loved this story! I haven't been so enthralled in a long time. This story has all the great elements with a plot that involves adventure, passion, danger, humor, suspense, sacrifice, tragedy, joy, and even some realism. You name it, it has it. Peleus is my kind of hero, and your heart runs wild falling just as in love with him as the heroine does. He really does spoil you for any other future hero worship. If you like time-travel genres, you are in for a special treat.
Emmeline (The Book Herald)
I kindly received a copy of this book from Soul Mate Publishing via Netgalley in return for an honest review.

Hey everyone! Okay this is book had the three major themes that usually equals to my ultimate fantasy land.

It has an ancient history time period (The grand days of Athens!), there's time travel and Rooooooh-mance *try thinking of me saying that all spanish-y*

While this book was a nice read, it had...some unrealistic parts that left me huffing in dismay. Therefore, as always, i shall explain myself be
Catherine
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
I received a copy of this book through Netgalley for an honest review.

This book is kind of hard to pinpoint my feelings on. I really, really enjoyed parts, but other parts were incredibly nonsensical.

I loved the premise, as I'm a total sucker for time travel romances. I also liked that Donna was Australian (I don't read enough books about people from other countries). Unfortunately, the book was very heavy handed with how much Donna's life sucked before she got thrown bac
Anne Monteith
Although this book is targeted as New Adult I feel like it could easily be read by older YA readers. I love story about ancient Greece but I had a hard time reading and actually put it down several times before finally forcing myself to finish it because the first half is filled with characters that you wanted to reach in and slap. Some because they were just awful and Donna because she need to have some sense knocked into her. I have a problem with young people who continue to let the people th ...more
Tanya Grech Welden
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
The Ancient History buff in me couldn't resist this book. I just had to read it, Did it reach my lofty hopes for it? Not close. Was I entertained? Kind of.

The premise is awesome. A young women from the present day goes back in time and falls in love with a buff Athenian. On one level it was a fun idea, on another the reality of it was a bit cringe worthy.

The story itself was acceptable for the most part. In places I couldn't help laughing at the size of the plot holes. Ha
QueenKatie
I was lured in by the cover and blurb for sure, but that's Normal and how I meet my favorite books!! Half way through this and I am still going WTF IS THIS!?

I can wrap my brain around time travel and going back to Ancient Times, actually that was part of this book's allure -- girl goes back to Ancient Athens and they think she is an Amazon. She is sold to a rich Hot Guy. At this point, one is thinking, this could be good -- love story mixed with historical tidbits!

Enter the crazy that I can get over:
Jenn Sut
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Dancing in the Athenian Rain
By Katie Hamstead

I was given a book in exchange for an honest review free of persuasion from the author or anyone else affiliated with this book.

Donna is unappreciated. She has friend who make her feel bad about herself and a boyfriend who doesn't want to be a boyfriend. Her parents are overly critical. The only one on her side seems to be her brother and Dr. Stephens until Dr. Stephens sends her through his time machine. He has ne
Osbian Night
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm in two minds about this book. I read it and finished it but nothing about it really stood out.
It isn't something I normally read but I'm a classical Greek buff and just couldn't resist.
As far as historical accuracy, nothing seemed particularly out of place. Hamstead could have delved deeper into the relationships between men in that era, as my old Classics teacher used to say they were more flexible then more modern times, but the author ignores this and even makes a comment that men will
Jessica
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, own
I had a really hard deciding on a two or a three star rating for this book. I think I landed on a three more for the fact that I really loved this author's Kiya series. I loved the idea behind this story but there were so many typos and grammatical errors, it was just too bothersome. I don't normally rate books low for grammatical errors or typos but there were so many and some of them were so odd that I almost felt like it was written on a phone and autocorrect got in the way. My other issue wi ...more
Katarina
Nov 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm torn about how to rate this book. There were parts I really liked and there were parts I didn't like. I guess overall I will have to rate this as a 3 star.

I thought the story was creative and original. I liked Donna and Peleus and most of the other Athenian characters.

I didn't like the parents and Dr. Stephens. I just couldn't figure him out. On the one hand, he treats Donna like a daughter, like he really cares for her well-being, and then he turns around and exploit
Doris
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I was provided a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review.

This was a very good read! Donna is your typical teen but she allows her friends and family to bully her into thinking she's less than. It takes someone sending her back in time to see her worth!
I find that the beginning of the book has a steady pace, however the ending was rushed. The epilogue seems to come from nowhere. I did feel that I was a bit wanting at the end.
The story itself was enjoyable and drew
Jackie Garcia
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Time travel wow! All of the complications that are involved, especially not knowing where you are going. Donna has to learn a new language and the customs of the time and place where she lands. We do not realize how set we are in our own ways and how we relate to people around us. I came away thinking about the interactions with the people in my own circles. Thank you.
moira mann
Feb 03, 2016
Kerry Morris
Sep 09, 2015
Katie Hamstead
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Leah
Oct 07, 2017

• Time for a Highlander
  • My Heart's in the Highlands
  • A Lesson in Friendship (Lesson Series, #4)
  • The Sea King
  • Freedom (Delroi Prophecy, #1)
  • Kilt Worthy
  • A Civilized Mating (The Instinct, #1; ALPHAS, #5)
  • Vanished (A Times Journey Novel Book 1)
  • Alien General's Chosen (Brion Brides, #4)
  • The Power Of Three (Triad, #1)
  • Midnight's Bride (The Blackthorn Trilogy #2)
  • The Pirate Bride (Viking I, #11)
  • Tricked (Demon's Mark, #2)
  • Alien Under Cover (Zyrgin Warriors, #2)
  • Mirrorlight (Once Upon a Time-Travel)
  • Heroes Live Forever
  • Midnight Captive (Bonded By Blood Vampire Chronicles, #2)
  • Bold Destiny
Born and raised in Australia, Katie's early years of day dreaming in the "bush," and having her father tell her wild bedtime stories, inspired her passion for writing.
After graduating High School, she became a foreign exchange student where she met a young man who several years later she married. Now she lives in Arizona with her husband, daughters, and their dogs.
She has a diploma in