Start by marking “The Intimate Journal” as Want to Read:
The Intimate Journal

The Intimate Journal

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  65 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
These selections from George Sand's journals form an integrated whole and show Sand as a woman, lover, mother, artist, politician, chatelaine, and friend. Sand's journal writing is thought by many to be her most expressive and natural; here the artist's most complex and interesting character is revealed: George Sand herself.
Published March 1st 2000 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about The Intimate Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Intimate Journal

Luís C.
Lisbon Book-Fair 2016.
George Sand foi uma figura que sempre me fascinou, pela sua coragem de ir contra as regras impostas as mulheres á epoca. Por isso estava muito curiosa em ler este seu diario intimo. Fiquei um pouco desiludida, mas o que se poderia esperar de um diario? um diario é algo que escrevemos para nós proprios normalmente nas alturas de maior angustia. E foi esse o problema que tive com este livro. Sand deprimida, angustiada e suicica, a sofrer pelo fim do seu romace com alfred de musset não me interessa ...more
Nov 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: french-lit
I expected not to be a fan of this at all, but there were a few sections that I thought profound. Mostly it's pathetic, melodramatic drivel, but I've decided I really like her. I came out of this book feeling like she was a very generous and charitable person who was much too rash in her decision-making and was always attracted to the wrong man. I might add that I did not read a thing which would have in any way contributed to the idea of her being a lesbian.
Jun 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing
Depois de ler a biografia da George Sand pela Rosa Montero, de que gostei muito, fiquei com vontade de ler o Diário. Mas confesso que não passei da página 64... É muita depressão, muita infelicidade, muita dúvida existencial... Decididamente, não é o meu género.
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: george-sand
I loved reading about her and Frederic Chopin. Feel like I was transported into their world.
Sónia P
Jul 28, 2012
Apr 16, 2010
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Amantine Aurore Lucile Dupin, later Baroness (French:baronne) Dudevant (1 July 1804 – 8 June 1876), best known by her pseudonym George Sand (French pronunciation: [ʒɔʁʒ sɑd]), was a French novelist. She is considered by some a feminist although she refused to join this movement. She is regarded as the first French female novelist to gain a major reputation.

Sand's reputation came into question when
More about George Sand...

Nonfiction Deals

• K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain
  • Proud Highway: Saga of a Desperate Southern Gentleman, 1955-1967
    $12.99 $1.99
    $10.49 $1.99
“Immodest creature, you do not want a woman who will accept your faults, you want the one who pretends you are faultless – one who will caress the hand that strikes her and kiss the lips that lie to her."

(Letter, 17 June 1837)