Start by marking “Prisoner (Criminals & Captives, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prisoner (Criminals & Captives, #1)

Prisoner

(Criminals & Captives #1)

He seethes with raw power the first time I see him—pure menace and rippling muscles in shackles. He’s dangerous. He’s wild. He’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

So I hide behind my prim glasses and my book like I always do, because I have secrets too. Then he shows up in the prison writing class I have to teach, and he blows me away with his honesty. He tells me se
Published November 3rd 2014 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published October 22nd 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner, please sign up.
Lisa Expected publication: January 30th 2018
Jane Doe It's not but has a good ending you won't be disappointed!

Start your review of Prisoner (Criminals & Captives, #1)
Candace
I expected this book to be a dark story with a captivity theme, which it was. However, I didn't expect that it would be a deeply emotional story about a man that was scarred by a traumatic childhood. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of this story and the connection I felt to the characters.

Abigail first sets her eyes on Grayson when she's assigned to teach a writing class at the penitentiary as part of her undergraduate coursework. There is an instant physical attraction between the two f
Christine Wallflower & Dark Romance Junkie
4 Who's The Prisoner Now Stars!

Now on the off chance this first bit sounds negative trust me, I'm not trying to be negative I'm just "covering my arse".

Now before you read this book you'll need to know a few things.

1. If you haven't read Wanderlust by Skye Warren then you should, because while this book isn't exactly the same it does follow along the same grain.
2. Insta-love. Beware.
3. Non-con some would argue and say it was slight reluctance, I'm just gonna warn you it's not completely consensu
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
4.5 Stars

Some people have a relationship that's sunshine and roses. Our is darkness and vengeance.

If you've read the blurb, then you probably picked up on the fact that it pretty much tells you nothing. As far as descriptions go, it's very vague...AND THAT'S IMPORTANT. I'd advise you to read as little reviews about this book if not any before diving in. Trust me, you'll enjoy it that much more. What are some things I can tell you about it?
1. Prepare to read it in one sitting.
I'm not
Pam
4 a little hate, a little hell. stars
It’s the best kind of lie to tell—one that’s true.

This isn’t a fucking fairy tale. I’m not going to turn into a good guy because her cunt is made of velvet and rainbows.

Oh wow, how to review this without giving anything away... the synopsis only covers about 25% of what this book is all about which is a good thing, because while I assumed I was getting one thing, it turned out to be that and so much more...

Prisoner was filled with anti
Clumsy Storyteller
It’s such an incredible story with so many unexpected, unforeseen twists that even up until the last few pages, I couldn’t see how it would end...*sigh*

Overall: Well written book, suspense action-filled, great characters.
Jen
WOWSA! What an awesome book! I am easy to please; but this book just really tickled my fancy in so many ways..I will admit that there were several times I was concerned with the fact that I could fall in love with an anti-hero like Grayson. However, the authors did a beautiful job of humanizing him in a way that brought out all of my empathy. Once learning about where he came from, and his life experiences...I was sold..and his screwed up way of feeling that Abby was his to protect, and his mess ...more
Glass
4.5 - ohmygodwhatwasthis - stars

"Some people have a relationship that's sunshine and roses. Ours is darkness and vengeance."

What I initially thought Prisoner would be about?
Forbidden romance, alpha male and bookworm, with just enough darkness to make things interesting.

What happened after I read it?

description

Prisoner is first novel in new series, Criminals and Captives, written by Skye Warren and Annika Martin. I haven't read Annika Martin novels before, but Skye Warren got under my skin wit
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
3.5 Stars

My thoughts before reading this book (direct quote):

"Holy crap, that blurb! *rubs hands together gleefully*"

My thoughts after reading this book:

"Holy crap. *want to punch Abby in face gleefully*"

This was good, but could have been awesome.

I understand that it's not always right to kill. Make love, not war and all that crap. But Abby (view spoiler)

Fu
Nazanin
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Prisoner & The Caveman Stars

Told in dual POV, 1st person. It’s the first installment in the "Criminals & Captives" series and it can be read as a standalone. It’s well-written, a bit angsty, fast-paced with short chapters. I hadn’t read anything by Annika Martin but I’m familiar with Skye Warren’s works. This one wasn’t as dark as I needed it to be but still it was enjoyable. I liked the antihero these two created, a man you don’t know to love or hate. One second you want to slap him and the n
✰ Liz ✰
"She's mine."
description

Prisoner is the first book in the Criminals and Captives Series. Abigail Winslow is studying to be a teacher and is charged to teach a class of inmates at a local prison. Abigail is drawn to one intelligent prisoner who exudes confidence. Grayson Kane is a man on a mission. Escape and seek revenge. When cute and spunky Abby gets in the way of him reaching his goal, he has only one choice to make... kill her or keep her.

description
"I'll always come for you. You're mine."
Told in dual P
❤️ Paulette  Alphas Review
Title: ➳ ❤Prisoner
Series ➳Criminals & Captives 1#
Author: ➳ Annika Martin Skye Warren

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
💘💘💘💘💘

Two Brilliant Authors....Annika Martin & Skye Warren... Do you really want me to say more???

A bookworm & criminal , what interesting combination

ღ . Abigail Winslow was undergrad student given A class project in prison, she found herself attracted to one of the one of the prisoners

♥●• Grayson was convicted of only crime he did not commit. He was set up by the higher-ups. His crew did not know where he w
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
☆☆4.5 Captivating Stars!☆☆

description

I was completely sucked in from the very beginning. Most of the time a book is like a tea kettle, it takes times for it to get hot and whistle, but right off the bat I was wrapped up in this story. All I needed was a bowl of popcorn and I would've been set! There is so much action, suspense and intrigue that this will keep you on the edge of your seat. And there's enough romance to satisfy the romantic at heart.

description

I don't want to give much of the story away, as I think thi
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Oct 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dark-romance
3.75 STARS

description

“Some people have a relationship that’s sunshine and roses. Ours is darkness and vengeance.”

description

“Prisoner” is the first book in Skye Warren and Annika Martin’s series “Criminals and Captives”. While the story has some dark elements – kidnapping, Stockholm syndrome and others, for me it wasn’t a super dark read. More like a light dark. If you read “Wanderlust” by Skye Warren you will like this one as well, because, there are many similarities between these two. I must admit unti
Jacqueline's Reads
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 4-star-books

4 Captive Stars

I like my kidnapping books. I know, it’s the whole damsel in distress thing, I just love it. So when I got the chance to read Prisoner, I had to snatch it up.

I like dark reads. The really gritty, cringe worthy kind and I wouldn’t call Prisoner a dark read (despite the cover), there’s plenty of drama and action to keep you on your toes.

There were two main things that worked for me in Prisoner, the writing style (fast pace) and it’s mostly dialogue based writing.

Summary

Abby is a
Alex ♈
Update August 2018

I remove my rating due to the contentious issue of possible rape.

Original review

If not for Cyndi’s 4-stars review I wouldn’t probably dare to read this book. Cyndi is one of my moral compasses *love you, girl*, and if she approves a ‘different’ book for me, I’m all in.

I don’t read dark often. I love thrillers and I have no problem with violence in books, but only if the moral-direction is still right.

Kidnapping / hostage / dark read would never be on my radar, but af
Pam Godwin
Oct 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-romance
You might think you can’t handle disturbing subject matter, consider yourself squeamish, and have no interest in testing the edges of your comfort zone. But you would do yourself a disservice to miss out on this one.

The story is only as dark as it needs to be. It doesn’t try to shock for the sake of shocking. The tone is measured. This is emotional storytelling with a purpose. And the result: one of the most electrifying and intelligent love stories of the year.

It’s a complexly-woven tale of hea
Didi
3.5 TO 4 STARS

When I heard Annika Martin, aka Carolyn Crane, was teaming up with Skye Warren I was intrigued. I love Carolyn Crane's work and like what I've read by Skye Warren. This was a dark, somewhat disturbing, raw and deceptively romantic book. Abigail gets assigned to teach an English class for a group of felons at the high security prison. She doesn't want to do that, but at the risk of disappointing her supervisor, she sticks to it.
Abby comes across as timid and stiff. She harbors a sec
Kirsten
4+ Ms Winslow stars!

photo image.jpg1_zpsyddqyimi.jpg

Prisoner was a fast paced and captivating read.

While working on her degree, Abigail Winslow along with her class, has been given a project. Visit different people and help them write a personal memoir that will be posted on the Internet. Abby is not thrilled about her assignment. She is to go to the nearby prison and help the inmates with their writing. On her first day, a prisoner is brought passed her, and her blood heats at his powerful form.

Grayson Kane has been loc
Allison ❤️Will Never Conquer Her TBR❤️
5 Loved, Loved, Loved Stars!

So, when I read a friend's review (waves to Christine) and she compared this book to Wanderlust, I bought and started it pronto. Wanderlust is one of the very few books I have loved so much, I sent mass books recs out to any and all friends who hadn't read it. This book too did not disappoint!

photo 0FC67ED8-5D04-410D-BAB0-D6AEA507BF86_zpse602ueuy.jpg

Prisoner is a somewhat dark (I've read much darker) book about a man, Grayson who's serving time for murdering a cop. When he sets eyes on the prim and proper Ms. Winslow, an
WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker

This book. I don't even know what to say. I started reading and "literally" could not stop.
The beginning:

The forbidden aspect, or what have you, of Abby the volunteer teacher and Grayson the prisoner and their sexual tension had me going up in flames.

The middle:

Is, is this romance? I kept thinking this over and over. If you read the warning in the book blurb, it clearly states "dubious consent". Great warning but I still don't know how to deal with reading and liking a fictional incident that
Beatrice Masaluñga
Prisoner piqued my interest when I saw a blog post about top criminal / mafia heroes (I forgot the exact title and who wrote it.) and dived into it blind. For a dark romance, this is mild. Still, there are scenes here that are disturbing like abuse and gore.

The story is about Abigail Winslow who was assigned to teach a writing class in prison as part of her class requirement. Then, she meets Grayson Kane. He's a prisoner and he signed up for her class last minute. There was something mysterious
Cyndi
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safe
I thought this book was really well written and I really liked the H and the h. Both of them had bad childhoods, but Grayson's was the worst. I totally understood his behavior and still loved him as much as Abby did. Abby's reactions were very realistic and understandable. Their love story was sweet and they really deserved the hea. My only complaint is that there wasn't any confirmation that Grayson didn't do anything with OW during their separation. There also was nothing to make me think he d ...more
Dilek VT
Sep 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
(view spoiler) ...more
CC

Grayson Kane is serving time for a crime he didn’t commit. During his incarceration, he devises a plan of escape but when the time comes, the plan is slightly altered to include his own prisoner. Driven by his need for revenge, Grayson is poised for violence and now his new companion seems to fuel his cravings even more.

“Doesn’t matter about right or wrong. You do what you need to do to survive. That’s all that matters.”

Abigail “Abby” Winslow is studying to be a teacher and accepts a tempor
Saint Monique
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, dark-beauty
4,5 'Prison journal' stars

I got this book when it was free on Amazon and then totally forgot about it. Thank God for Pick for me challenges. Because of them, I've found how many great books I actually have on my Kindle. Anyway, I was immensely enjoying the story, and the main characters - Grayson and Abby - really grew on me.

Full review to come later. I need to go to work now. How inconvenient.

So, where was I? Isn't it annoying when real life interrupts your reading/ writing process? *sigh* But
*TANYA*
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark. Gritty. Sexy. This book superseded my expectations, it was very good. I wanted to stop reading, dreading what was coming but I just couldn’t. Great book!!! Grayson is one bad man!! Lol.
~♡AB♡~
★★★3.5 Stars★★★

I liked this one, I just didn't love it - BUT I could have, it just needed that extra Wow factor.

Abby meets Grayson when she has an assignment to teach at the Prison. Grayson is desperate to get into her class, and it isn't just because he finds her extremely attractive. She, of course thinks he is too hot to handle.

He's too big, too beautiful, too dangerous, too everything. He steals the show. He fills the room. He leaves a wake of pure energy in my belly as he continues to th
—ReadAlongWithSue—
I went into this one with what I thought was my eyes wide open, only to get one heck of a shock.

This book has more depth than a deep cellar.
It’s dark, it’s great! I was actually captivated by the powerful words the plot, well, the whole dam lot really.

I’ve had this book on my kindle for ages but I actually read this as a quick read when I knew I was out and about today, sitting waiting for appointments.

Powerful read.
S.M. West
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 CAPTIVE STARS

I’ve read several of Skye Warren’s books and enjoyed them. I have this twisted fascination with the fringes of humanity, the underbelly of society, captor/captive and the dark side of man.

So without reading the blurb, I knew there’d be some dark and disturbing content. That’s all I will say because if any of the above intrigues you, this is worth the read.

It’s not all dark. There are moments and subjects that will have your stomach turning and gritting your teeth but there’s
Christine B
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-romance
The first time Abagail sees Greyson he seems like a man in control and she knew then she must stay away from him. Abagail is a timid librarian teaching a class in the prison for credit in her college courses. the minute a last minute student enrolls into her class she knew she wold be in trouble because of how drawn she was to him. Yes, the same man Abby saw in the hall, the same man that she wants to resist, the same man she must avoid at all cost.

Greyson was framed for killing a cop he didn't

• Wanderlust
  • The Pawn (Endgame, #1)
  • Defaced (The Monster Trilogy #1)
  • The Knight (Endgame, #2)
  • Tormentor Mine (Tormentor Mine, #1)
  • Once a Myth (Goddess Isles, #1)
  • The Castle (Endgame, #3)
  • Twice a Wish (Goddess Isles, #2)
  • Crime Lord's Captive (Crime Lord, #1)
  • The Queen (Masterpiece Duet, #2)
  • Pretty When You Cry (Stripped, #3)
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
  • Sweet Captivity
  • Third a Kiss (Goddess Isles, #3)
  • Deep (Chicago Underground, #8)
  • Better When It Hurts (Stripped, #2)
  • Born, Darkly (Darkly, Madly Duet, #1)
  • Comfort Food
I love fun, sexy books, taking pictures of my cats, 90’s grunge music, saving animals, long baths and See’s chocolate suckers. I also enjoy hanging out in Minneapolis coffee shops with my awesome writer husband. I’ve worked a surprisingly large number of waitressing jobs, and have also worked in a plastics factory and the advertising trenches. My garden is total bee-friendly madness. I also write ...more

Criminals & Captives (2 books)
  • Hostage (Criminals & Captives, #2)