Jump to ratings and reviews

Akira and Deane Thriller #2

Underground Murmurs

The path to revenge is not an easy one. Akira has been stopped once but his hunger and desire for global change grows stronger every day. With the help of a political puppet he starts down a dangerous path to bring a former super power back from the dead to aid his strike at the heart of the West.

With Russia in turmoil Thomas Deane is dispatched with his new partner to prevent a political uprising unaware that he is walking into a trap. With his health failing him he has to draw on all of his experience to survive, but standing in his way is Akira who will stop at nothing to gain his revenge.

With MI6 de-stabilised by an attack it’s forced to re-activate S.U.C.O. (Special Undercover Covert Operations) who together must prevent an attack on home soil. Masterminded by two of Akira’s closest allies, Jozef Kiprich and Zoltan Ferec what lines will S.U.C.O. have to cross to stop them? Sam Olsen leads his team into the depths of the London Underground network and its many abandoned stations. Deep beneath ground level in tunnels not touched for decades are the clues they need to stop another attack.

About the Author

I’ve been writing thriller related short stories for a few years now but I finally decided to bite the bullet and write a novel. It was always a dream to see my novel online and when my wife recorded a TV programme in the summer of 2014 about Amazon I found out it was possible. By chance I happened to see it and discovered KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) where I could publish my book on Amazon. I had no idea that had come about! It’s been fantastic to see it on Amazon and to receive feedback from readers of my book, it really is invaluable and plays a big part in shaping my writing. You can follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/tim.jopling.3 and on Twitter https://twitter.com/tim_jopling or search for @tim_jopling. Thanks for reading!

Kindle Edition

First published July 28, 2014

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Tim Jopling

2 books27 followers
www.timjopling.com

My name is Tim Jopling and I love any spy and espionage books, TV, or films! People always say you write about what you know and although I've never had any personal experience (I've worked in the IT sector for 16 years!) I've read a lot of novels (you can't really beat the original Ian Fleming novels in my opinion) and watched as many TV shows and films as I possibly can. I'm a big James Bond fan (not the spoofy ones, my favourites are the grittier ones with Daniel Craig and Timothy Dalton is my favourite Bond - nothing to do with the name mind you!) and loved all the seasons of 24.

There were a number of things that made me want to try writing. I remember several years ago when I watched one of the Mission Impossible films and a James Bond film, both of which were so poor I was convinced I could write something better! Around the same time I remember a scene in 24 with a minor character (Paulson - anyone remember him?) that really hit a note with me and got the creative juices flowing! Whether I've written anything better remains to be seen but I have so much fun writing stories with the Olsen and Deane characters (and the supporting characters too). I'm now working on the next novel in the series (Double Cross) which will be released early 2016 and the fourth title (Judgement Calls) later on that year.

Thanks to everyone that has reviewed my writing, its been great to see my work on Amazon and receive feedback. It really is invaluable and plays a big part in shaping my writing. Thanks for reading!

www.timjopling.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for Kayla.
102 reviews12 followers
January 20, 2015
Overall, it was an entertaining read. However, there is room for improvement. I actually gave it 4.4 stars on my blog but goodreads doesn't allow so I have to round.

Plot: 4.5 stars

The plot was great. There’s the vengeful Akira, who holds a grudge against “The West” which includes Europe and the US. He wants to bring them down. He goes about killing as many of their agents as he can while trying to get his pawn elected as the next Russian president. There’s a lot of backstabbing and it’s really hard to tell if anyone’s going to make it. There’s deception and greed and the thirst for revenge.

Characters: 4.5

It’s hard to get attached to some of these characters. Many of these so called experienced agents make lots of hot-headed irrational decisions that get themselves and others in trouble. And for being so experienced they surely die often. The few civilians in the story include a woman Lorna, who although she has a small role, is quite likable. However Sam Olsen’s fiancé is quite annoying. She’s been with him for almost 10 years and now she wants to change him and wants him to give up his job. She’s very whiny and I don’t really get the feeling that she does it for him but more for herself. Sam is too hotheaded but the fact that his hunches work out makes it harder for him to change. You just can’t help but be on his side though. My favourite character is actually Thomas. He seems to have his head on straight. However even he is not spared from silly decisions. Although most characters aren’t likeable you do get well defined characters and you really get to understand why most of them are the way they are. The best character development in the story was that of Hal Burton. He was an agent who got mixed up in things that he wasn’t supposed to.

Writing: 3.5 stars

The writing was fast paced and really pulled me in. However, there were spelling mistakes which were more often in the ending chapters of the book. There were also some inconsistencies with the story, crakow and cracow was used interchangeably. Also sometimes the car they were in changed sometimes without them actually changing cars. Or the author would refer to one person while he was writing about a different character. Or say they were somewhere like Regis House when they were at St. Mary’s. It was a bit confusing and I had to read it over to see if I was just getting confused.

Overall though, I did love the story and I’ll be looking out for part 2. I don’t normally read in-between stories and it seems there will be one coming out this year. Not sure if I will have the time, but it does sound interesting. I’m dying to find out the real identity of someone but I don’t want to give that away here.

The cover suited the story perfectly. Cover: 5 stars
Profile Image for Ashley Tomlinson.
Author 5 books19 followers
January 5, 2015

This is the first book of a new series. I was contacted by Tim Jopling to give a honest review.

Synopsis:

AKIRA
Hell bent on changing the world forever.

OLSEN AND DEANE
The most effective partnership MI6 and the West have.

THE S.U.C.O. AGENTS
MI6 protectors, destined to stop the darkness from sweeping across the globe.

UNDERGROUND MURMURS

Nothing is ever what it seems. Don’t turn your back on anyone, or anything. The world is at ease and its politicians are simply unaware, and unprepared. Not for one moment does anyone consider that the most deadly war humanity has ever faced is looming around the corner. All of it orchestrated by Akira, a man with a past no one would expect, and primed with the knowledge that his vision will become the future and the West be condemned to the past.

Only MI6 can stop him with its elite group of S.U.C.O. agents and the experienced Thomas Deane and Sam Olsen at the forefront. These loyal protectors will risk their lives around the globe to preserve peace and justice, no matter what the cost…

Let me start by saying I am not a fan of war; I don't like war movies, games or books. I can never get into them and often find myself beyond bored. This book, though a war book was very interesting. It is great for anyone that likes a mysterious, suspenseful book full of plot twists. It having war in it means loads of violence and blood, so perfect for any guy. In fact I'm thinking of getting a copy for my husband.

I really liked Olsen and Deane's partnership, it reminded me of a brotherly bond. They had each others back in only agents of war do. Though I'm not a fan of war, it was interesting to see it from the point of views from the protecters and the villain's. I always like when books let me see how the villains think too. So few do that for me and it's always a treat.
Profile Image for Catherine Townsend-Lyon.
Author 2 books107 followers
September 13, 2015

From the first pages on my Kindle to last of this book? Fantastic! What an enjoyable ride! I'm not usually a spy, thriller, mystery kind of girl, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading Author, Tim's new novel series. Book 1 was fantastic, and this one even MORE SO!

An excellent read for a first time novelist, and of course the story pulls you in when Akira loss's his wife and begins a quest to find who took the love of his life. Awe, always starts with love right? From there, your taken on a thrill ride with action and mystery around every corner. The two main characters were well written into this awesome storyline. No spoilers here. The good news is that it is a novel series, so readers are guaranteed more novels to this series from a wonderful new prolific writer and author!

Author, Catherine Townsend-Lyon
Profile Image for Claire.
564 reviews32 followers
July 7, 2015
Review: Underground Murmurs by Tim Jopling Self-published (28th July 2014)

ISBN: 978-1508444404

Source: Author (proofreading)

Rating: 4.5*

Synopsis:

UNDERGROUND MURMURS - Akira & Deane Thriller Series Book 1: Nothing is ever what it seems... Don't turn your back on anyone or anything... Akira is a dangerous man, a man who has lost everything and has nothing to lose. Fuelled by the death of his beloved wife Madeline and desperate to seek revenge on those who took her from him, Akira is on a mission, a mission to rid the world of the corrupt West and everything it stands for and he has one man set in his sights. Thomas Deane, a fiercly loyal MI6 agent and one half of an elite partnership he is everything Akira despises - a patriotic man devoted to the service of his country, no matter what the cost. Assisted by the brave S.U.C.O. agents (Special Undercover Covert Operations) the elite MI6 team, are completely unaware of what lies ahead. Will they succeed in bringing Akira out of the shadows?

My Review:

I was passed a copy of Underground Murmurs to proofread and was immediately struck by the characters Deane and Olsen. They are intelligently written, complex characters and the perfect opposite to protagonist Akira.

The storyline is gripping and well written; it held my interest well. This is the first book in the Akira & Deane series, but also reads well as a stand alone novel. The plot builds nicely, each chapter adding something more; another detail to keep you turning the pages.

Thanks to author Tim Jopling for providing me with a copy to proofread, it certainly kept me entertained!

1 review
October 6, 2014
Excellent read! For anyone who enjoys action, suspense, mystery and espionage books then give this a go. You can't help but feel involved with the main characters and you learn about them on a different level. Loads of twists to keep you on your toes- each chapter uncovers a bit more to the story that you weren't expecting and makes you want to keep reading- can't wait for the next one!
Profile Image for Quentin Feduchin.
346 reviews6 followers
October 25, 2018
After reading the first, which was OK, really felt I should read the second to give it a chance.
But author ran out of ideas. Nothing really much happens (well, truthfully, does anything ever happen?) but it's the author's take on the whole thing that makes the difference; whether he hs an innovative style, a fresh idea, a way of following things up and reaching great conclusions - all that.
Really good authors offer slow-burner books; they reach towards great conclusions, it's not all in the first few chapters, then gradually dying away due to a dearth of ideas...
As this is. Two stars for getting it published. Otherwise?
Boring.
Profile Image for Ted Tayler.
Author 56 books246 followers
October 20, 2015
“High speed action; all the way!"

I loved 'Out Of The Shadows' and this sequel doesn't disappoint. The action is unrelenting. This is achieved in part by having two threads of the story line being interwoven into each chapter and being progressed side by side. The switch of theatre, whether it's the London Underground or the streets of Moscow occurs at a pivotal, cliff-hanger moment. You can't wait to find out what happens next; but then you're suddenly thrown into a different location and the tension builds again with a different cast of characters. A clever ploy and not one to be attempted unless you are a talented writer. You are in safe hands with Mr. Jopling; the level of research required to paint the word pictures in both books I've read so far is staggering and this modern day thriller rings frighteningly true. Can't wait for the next adventure.
Profile Image for June .
15 reviews3 followers
April 19, 2015
Tim Jopling creates great character, suspense, and action in Underground Murmurs. From the beginning, I was drawn into the world of action and danger at every turn. Through all this, he creates people that are compelling and keeps you wanting more. The book was a departure from my usual reading, and was a delightful find. I always enjoy learning about what drives the characters in any book. It's not just action and intrigue, but real people in their "regular lives". I can't wait to read his next book! Any fan of spy action- or just reading in general- will love this book!
2 reviews
October 2, 2015
An exciting and thrilling read, both book 1 and book 2. It was very descriptive and gave me a good insight into the characters and places. I found that I wanted to read more after Book 1, and Book 2 certainly did not disappoint! I recommend these books and am looking forward to more from this series and author.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.