Start by marking “Apocalypse Weird: Reversal” as Want to Read:
Apocalypse Weird: Reversal

Apocalypse Weird: Reversal

(Polar Wyrd ##1)

Snow, Volcanoes, and the End of the World

Contrary to Sasha Wood’s expectations, the isolated International Polar Research Station on Ellesmere Island turns out to be an incredibly dangerous assignment. After researchers and sled dogs go missing in a freak storm, distress calls go mysteriously unanswered from the outside world. Cut off and stalked by strange killer polar be
Published February 23rd 2015 by Wonderment Media, Inc. (first published February 21st 2015)

Start your review of Apocalypse Weird: Reversal
Michael Hicks
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
[Note: I received an advanced reader’s copy of this book from the author for review.]

I’m a sucker for arctic survival stories, and have a particular soft-spot for thrillers and horror stories that are set against a snowy, frigid backdrop. So, when I learned that Apocalypse Weird would be venturing to the far north with Jennifer Ellis’s Reversal, I was eager to read it, particularly once I saw The Thing get name-dropped in the description.

I’ve mentioned in my other reviews of Apocalypse Weird tit
FanFiAddict
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think we are in the Arctic anymore…

Pugnacious polar bears, devious demons, panicked penguins… you get the point. Researchers on Ellesmere Island become temporarily blinded and scattered from one another. Once they regain sight, they realize that their GPS equipment and compasses have gone completely haywire and say that North is South. All communication with the outside world has been lost, except for a woman named Helga who continues to reiterate “The end game is coming. All heroes must
Aly Abell
Shelves: 1_reviewed
Though set in the same post-apocalyptic universe as The Red King and Texocalypse Now, Reversal has a very different feel. Set during the first days following the Apocalypse, the events mostly take place in and near the International Polar Research Station. Main character Sasha is assisting with a research project in what is supposed to be a six-month job. Several research teams are investigating unusual phenomena. The magnetic North Pole has been shifting more quickly than usual, and auroras are ...more
Jemima Pett
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There’s an apocalypse, it’s seriously weird, not to say bizarre, and there’s a reversal of the Earth’s magnetic field causing serious disruption, not to say chaos, to civilisation as we know it. An Apocalypse Weird entitled Reversal, then. It’s part of a series on the theme of apocalypse in the genre Weird, which I’m starting to realise I like.

In Jennifer Ellis’s novel, Sasha and her colleagues, led by Arctic expert Soren, are engaged in various aspects of polar research; polar bear behaviour,
Wojik Romanovicz
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great addition to the Apocalypse Weird world. Not your average run of the mill apocalyptic thriller, and I don't say that disparagingly.

This weird apocalypse takes place in in the Arctic, not the typical setting. Blindness, crazed polar bears, disappearances, methane filled craters/portals, demons, and overall mayhem galore. Add in the frozen blizzard conditions and we've got ourselves a non-traditional apocalyptic delight.

Jennifer Ellis has created some rich character relationships which are m
AnneHope
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who doesn't love polar bears, portals through space, lots of snow and the end of the world? Jennifer Ellis joins the rest of the AW brilliant author group with a great voice and a robust story-line. Plus, I love dogs and love stories so I am in! This is a fun, action packed tale of time and space, villains and heroes riding on the edge of chaos and being chased by the new horsemen of the apocalpyse. Jennifer has a natural gift and brings a completely unique setting to the AW world. Get your hot ...more
Cmoore
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The whole Apocalypse Weird thing is well umm... Weird!!!

Jennifer Ellis addition to this series is awesome. With hungry Polar bears that may or may not be able to open doors. Demons, Ice and another who calls himself Paul for short. North and South mixed up, guys in a helicopter, and an alternate timeline. Oh and did I mention hungry, hungry Polar Bears.

Does it seem confusing, well just get the book and let Jennifer tell you a story.
Seamus
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally original corner added to the wonderful Apocalypse Weird world! I knew it was gonna be another great book from Jennifer, but this really blew me away.

Environmental disaster, mixed up with huskies, murder, madness, demons, volcanoes, military, blindness, short-cuts through space & time?, sexual frustration & penguins......... (Ps , the last two aren't related!)
Kristene Perron
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review coming soon.
Jon
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever had one of those days where things go wrong, and then instead of straightening out, they just go wronger and wronger until everything you know is just completely screwed up? Sasha has one of those. She’s the heroine in Reversal, Jennifer Ellis’s contribution to the Apocalypse Weird universe. And boy, does she have problems.

Sasha Wood, a twenty-something meteorologist, has just landed her dream job as a research assistant at the International Polar Research Station. There are the us
Jason Anspach
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When the entire world comes to an end, you would think that finding yourself hunkered down in a well stocked polar research station would would be like winning the apocalyptic jackpot. Sasha Woods is stationed in just such a place and quickly finds out - it ain't so.

Rogue Polar bears, manipulative demons, alternate realities, and the dark heart of man all conspire to see that Woods doesn't live to see another penguin.

This is my first time reading a book by Jennifer Ellis, and I'm thoroughly impr
Stefano
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love the Apocalypse Weird franchise and Jennifer Ellis is the author I know less of the core group, I read her short story "The River" in the Synchronic time travel anthology but nothing else.
After Reversal I understand why she is in the leading group. She set her apocalyptic story at the North Pole, dealing with quite believable science for a novel of this kind. The plot is engaging and the main characters are of the kind you care of.
I'm looking forward to reading the sequel and other stories
Eric Tozzi
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was afforded a chance to read an advanced copy of REVERSAL, one of the first books in the Apocalypse Weird universe, and it is intense. If you're a fan of The Thing, you're going to want to own this one. Author Jennifer Ellis is in fact an environmental engineer and infuses real world science seamlessly into her story which clips along at an great pace. Action is solid, dialogue authentic, the whole setting visceral and mysterious. The polar bears are terrifying. Reversal is an amazing chapter ...more
Lois Langdon
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first WYRD book read and I was immediately hooked. It was reminiscent of LOST and the Twilight Zone with climate change thrown in for good measure. What happens when the whole world is blind, technology doesn't work, demons are fighting to en
d the world and all you are is a simple researcher? Try and survive the mist, the fact that north is no longer north, large craters lead you to other worlds and be very suspicious of your own team!
Dave
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the third Apocalypse Weird book I have read as an advanced reader and I am loving this new world the authors have created. Characters that made me feel like I knew or had worked with some of them. Enough twists, turns and action to keep me worried for the characters I'm identifying with...
And, my number 1 criteria for a book, a gripping story that I did not want to put down. When is the next one coming from Jennifer?
Jenni
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing

This was quite the wild ride with demons, pole reversal, mists that transport you to another place, killer polar bears, and more. Mystery, action, and adventure all packed into a neat polar package- a great addition to Apocalypse Weird!
Frances
A bit stiff in places (awkward and distracting turns of phrase), and prone to "this thing that was never mentioned before is suddenly useful". But an ok adventure. I'm not sure if it's fair to comment on the details of the plot; I have NO idea where it lies on the line between publishing-house driven or author-driven. ...more
Jack Biderman
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From cute cuddly polar bears, NOT, to mysterious craters, paranoia run rampant, strange disappearances, all set in a frozen wasteland. A thrilling adventure at the beginning of the Apocalypse. Another wonderful addition to the WYRD universe.
Brad
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Twists and turns that won't be anticipated, top quality writing and great characters make this an exceptional read. ...more
Colby
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot more going on in this book than a lot of the other AW titles. I'm dying to see what happens next! ...more
Ingrid Smythe
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Not what I expected, even better!
Cheryl
Brad
Aug 15, 2016
Shannon Cooke
May 16, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine two versions of my book 2 17 Feb 21, 2015 02:11AM
Jennifer lives in the mountains of Canada where she can be found writing, hiking, skiing, borrowing dogs, and evading bears. She also works occasionally as an environmental researcher.

Jennifer writes science fiction, romance and dystopian fiction for children and adults, including Apocalypse Weird: Reversal in Wonderment Media's Apocalypse Weird world and A Pair of Docks, which was a bestseller in

News & Interviews