Start by marking “Phoenix Child (Children of Fire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phoenix Child (Children of Fire, #1)

Phoenix Child

(Children of Fire #1)

There should be a law, a Universal Rule, as to how much weirdness can happen to a person.

Published February 19th 2015 by AMJ Publishing LLC (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Phoenix Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phoenix Child

Emily
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am not sure I could list all the reasons I love this book! So I'll highlight a few.

It is clean and without swearing! Hooray. It's becoming increasingly difficult to find modern literature that doesn't flood my mind with language and images I don't want there.

The story is original - with cohesive ideas and believable characters.

I LOVE the inspirational quotes riddled throughout the book, and the insights that come with it. One of my favorite thoughts of the book was the idea that Sapphire under
Danielle Urban
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Phoenix Child by Alica McKenna - Johnson is a phenomenial and brilliant read. This science fiction fantasy novel, is one that readers will love instantly. Alica McKenna - Johnson takes readers on a deep journey following a young female teenage. Here, we see and feel what all teens go through but there is much more to explore and experience inside this stunning story. Phoenix Child is very easy to read and is very addicitve. There's magic, adventure, and suspsense. Readers will have no trouble fi ...more
Apryl
Aug 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a great first book in the series. It gives the reader enough information and definitely leaves them wanting more. The voice of the main character, Sarah, is spunky and entertaining. Her supporting characters are compelling and seem to have a wealth of backstories all their own. I can't wait to see where this series goes!
T.M. Corbett
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Have you seen the cover of this book? It is beautiful and one of the reasons why I wanted to read this story. The originality of the mythical creatures and magic in it was great. I thought the books pace slowed to much in the second half and could have been improved with an edit of the protagonists' letters from her mother. Also the grammar is not great in this book, so if you are a grammar natzi beware. Other than those two things I really enjoyed this book. The characters created were unique a ...more
Buffy Kennedy
Aug 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty neat read. I loved the characters! The magic and everything was cool. There was no romance that I could detect, though maybe a hint of possibility in the future near the end, which was refreshing. I liked the lessons from Sara’s mom, but they started to get pretty tedious in the second half of the book. I’ll admit that I can’t really comment much on the few times we get the villain’s POV because I skip them – I’ve always kind of hated them in any book. The ending is no cliffhan ...more
Gail Gibbs
Apr 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Phoenix Child is a YA novel, following the story of Sara Fokine, growing up in a group home in San Francisco. She is looking forward to graduation and a normal life, until she comes of age and her fantastic destiny comes looking for her.

I enjoyed how Sara is not especially thrilled to receive magical powers. She had finally found the stability so rare among foster children, and life in the supernatural realm will be dangerous and uncertain. Anything but stable. An interesting counter-point to th
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
*sighs*

Look, I started reviewing books five years ago (or five and a half depending if the two I wrote on Amazon pre-blog count), I'm constantly behind on review books, and I have basic standards. I expect that any professional, finalized, and published work that comes before me has been thoroughly edited, but it seems Phoenix Child hasn't gotten that treatment.

I expect to see sentences like "I felt a flash of jealously" in fanfiction that someone writes for fun and doesn't expect people to pay
Laurie Saunders
Samantha (Book Lover's Cozy Cafe)
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I was given this book in place for an honest review.

Synopsis:

Fifteen-year-old Sara walks into the San Francisco Center for the Circus Arts determined to ignore the freaky things happening to her. As powers she doesn't want and can't control overwhelm her, Sara must decide if she can trust the strangers who say they are her family... descended from a common ancestor four thousand years ago.

Sara clings to her
Sue Davis
Jul 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific Book For All Ages Over 10, I'd Say

This book has many quotes with them explained as messages her mother left her. Sara is raised in a group home after her mothers death at five years old. She wakes up on her fifteenth birthday knowing something has happened but not what or why. She knows her skin has changed color and so has her hair which she covers up. She is allowed to go to a school teaching circus stunts . She will discover many things there besides the training. Dream memories will
Judy Clifton
Jun 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uplifting, Thoughtful, Amazing!!!

Sara, who is in the foster care system because her mother gave her up to protect her, just wants to finish school and live an ordinary life. When she joins a school to learn to be a circus performer, she finds her uncle and begins the journey that will last a lifetime. She's not ordinary at all, she’s the granddaughter of a thousands year old magical king and queen and possesses gifts, she very reluctantly must master, to save others of her kind.
Her mother has le
Rikudou En
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Sarah really did go through some tough ordeal. and underwent some interesting challenges. She makes a good character for debate in fiction group, if it arises. I have to leave it to the author and let myself be driven by the timeline. The character of a young girl was explicitly detailed here. a nice work all in all.
Readsandeats
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be carrying on with the series.

Sara is in the social care system as she has no family or so she thinks. Weird things happen when she turns 15 and she gains all theses powers etc.
I really liked the premise of the book, the characters and the setting.

A book for adults and children a like.

Would recommend it.
Stacy A
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting

This was my first book by this author. Well it did have some slow moments it was actually very well written. The characters were well fleshed-out and very easy to imagine. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Susanna
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kindles
I really liked this one! It's been a while since I've read and actually enjoyed a good YA book. It had some problems and some inconsistents, but kothing major. And the protagonist only annoyed me a vouple of times! =D
Patricia Grigg
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book, it read well and certainly held my interest. The flow was smooth which is always a big plus, for a book that is disjointed jerking you about is harder to relate to and you feel like you are being jerked about without a solid logical path.
Barb VanderWel
May 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Vicky Mullen
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
please read my review at my blog
Brenda Skinner
Mar 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

Keeps you reading,don't want to quit . So many things going on keeps you interested. Love these kind of stories.
Janis Cole
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery worth reading

This book is a supernatural mystery. It is also connected to the next book in the series. You just can't lay it down.
Heather Stanley
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I Love a great cover: This is what first drew me in to try this one! I know! but look at that cover!!!! Beautiful!!
Next came the write up who could pass on lines like "There should be a law, a Universal Rule, as to how much weirdness can happen to a person" and "Sometimes great things are thrust upon us. Sara wishes this supposed 'greatness' didn't include a new name, unicorns, and catching on fire." I know I'm a nerd!
First this is a very clean read, many are not anymore, I've shared this with m
Angela Dossett
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I've had this book on my TBR for a while and I could kick myself for waiting so long to read it. I came across it while browsing for "New Reads" on Amazon. My attention was captured by this lovely book cover. After reading the book blurb, I knew I had to read it and I can honestly say I enjoyed it.

I found the story line to be unique. I love to read about creatures from mythology around the world and the Phoenix is one of my favorites. The characters were well fleshed out that made them realistic
Dana Hammer
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, interesting read

First, the bad:
The plot unfolds somewhat clumsily, and there are some troubling plot holes. The mother's journal entries are pretty bland and trite.

Now the good:
The characters are interesting. There are parts of this book that are absolutely heartbreaking and emotionally wrenching. The hint of romance between Sara and unicorn boy keeps you reading. The author obviously has a vivid imagination and is excellent at world building.

I hope that some of my questions are answered i
Kayleigh
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Phoenix child is a wonderfully gripping story. I loved it by the seconded chapter. It has a clever spunky lead character that is almost believable, she doesn't react to the situation she finds her self in by crying to the nearest person, like some stories along this line do, but she works it out. It has magic, fantasy animals, friends, adventure and following a character who's finding her self, it's a great read.
Donna C.
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads
It would like to rate this book better - good characters and plot line but the story is very choppy in places and had enough typos and poor sentence structure that pulled me out of the story and instead try to figure out what the author was trying to say instead. Really, do publishers not have proof readers any longer or do they just rely on computers?
Pat Raab
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 6 stars, I would! Excitingly different.
Tara Briana Burke
Not horrible. Hoping things get more exciting in the next few books.

Not really a lot going on until toward the end. Sapphire/Sarah needs to stop being a whiney teenager and just deal with her new life. But that's just my opinion.
SW Cubby
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great adventure

Child that suffered unfortunate circumstances. A class of interest that brings forward family and new found powers. It is a great read with reality & a twist of mythical creatures. Enjoy!
Mohammedrabiu Abdullahi
May 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I can't wait for the Legacy of the Feathered Serpent. Is really amazing.
All About YA : Free e-book for Reviews 7 17 Aug 04, 2016 12:23PM
R2R: R2R for a Yound Adult Urban Fantasy Novel 2 6 Aug 03, 2016 05:59AM

• Pandora's Mistake (Fate of Eros #0)
  • Sweetest Curse
  • Unamused Muse (Mt. Olympus Employment Agency: Muse #2)
  • Innocence (a Dark Mafia Romance)
  • Desperate Housewives of Olympus (Ambrosia Lane #1)
  • The Pantheon (Olympia Heights, #1)
  • Redemption (Children of the Gods, #3)
  • Shadows of the Redwood (Scions of Shadow Trilogy #1)
  • With a Kiss
  • The Blood of Angels (Divine Vampires, #1)
  • When Magic Sleeps (Darkly Fae, #1)
  • Murder on Olympus (Plato Jones #1)
  • Aerisia: Land Beyond The Sunset (The Sunset Lands Beyond, #1)
  • The Watchers of Eden (The Watchers Trilogy #1)(The Watchers Universe #1)
  • Toxic (Blood Countess, #1)
  • Atlantis Riptide (Lost Daughters of Atlantis #1)
  • Worlds Unseen (The Seventh World Trilogy, #1)
  • Watcher (The Shining Ones, #1)
Alica McKenna Johnson lives in Southern Arizona with her kids, her cats, and the many voices in her head yammering for their stories to be told. Fueled by her love of people, travel, and cultures Alica writes emotionally rich stories. Snark, humor, and magic are woven through her books.

When not writing Alica supports other people's writing dreams. Through individual and group coaching programs sh

Children of Fire (3 books)
  • Legacy of the Feathered Serpent (Children of Fire, #2)
  • Heirs of Avalon (Children of Fire, #3)