Start by marking “Empire's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Empire's Daughter

Read Book

Empire's Daughter

(Empire's Legacy #1)

“But the world changes. In all the women’s villages of the Empire, this week or next, a soldier like myself will arrive to ask to live in the village, to take up a trade.” Casyn paused, for a breath, a heartbeat. “And to teach you and your daughters to fight.”

ebook
Published February 18th 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Empire's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire's Daughter

Liz
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book…! Now this book is just something special…

This book gives a reader so much more than just one idea, one plot, one theme around strong women. This book will have you witness an Empires current, past and future affairs with its history literally changing before your eyes. It was absolutely fantastic!

In short- we are dealing with a way of life where males, from the age of 7, leave the villages to fight for the Empire and women are left behind in the villages to live, to manage, to work on
Meredith Fletcher
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can find this and other reviews on my blog: Mezzalily's Teen Book Reviews

Thanks to the author Marian Thorpe for sending me a e-copy of Empire's Daughter in exchange for an honest review!

In Empire's Daughter, women and men are separate
Natalya
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An insightful and breathtaking story: Empire’s Daughter is an an inspiring, exciting story that encompasses a great deal of intriguing themes and insights into society, human nature, and personal struggle and growth. Written for the experienced reader, Empire’s daughter is the first in a series that will take the reader on an adventure of epic proportions. A must-read!
Andrea Lundgren
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy in exchange for a review.

This is easily one of the most intriguing books I've read all year. While it is an adventure novel, and the main character, Lena, does learn to fight--her team is actually the one assigned to track down any invaders who might be left after the battle takes place, so she is somewhat of an assassin, I suppose--it is a thoughtful book. This is not another fast-paced, action-heavy Divergent or Throne of Glass-type book, and the main character is not your ty
K.T. Munson
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary

With those words, the lives of Lena, fisherwoman of Tirvan village, and her partner Maya change irrevocably. Torn apart by their responses to this request, Maya chooses exile; Lena chooses to stay to defend her village and the Empir
A.J. O'Brien
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully crafted and powerful novel. One that I’m sure has been meticulously researched and feels historically accurate. I felt the Empire, its way of life and tradition.

A soldier arrives at Tirvan, a women’s village; Casyn has brought news of an impending invasion. The request is that the women are to be taught to fight, to defend themselves from the Island of Leste. The women hold council, tradition has it that only men kill. However it is better to kill than be killed, or worse. They agr
Marian Thorpe
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Not my review but one from a reader on Kobo.com

A story both hard and beautiful, Empire's Daughter handles with depth and eloquence the issues of its time. The Empire is so like a past that our culture could hold, and creates a reflection on our decisions and traditions and their impact. For all its insight it still drives a narrative of growth and action. Empire's Daughter should be marked among the more important fictional works of its time, and will see its share of recommendations from this
Amber Daniels
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time getting into this book but it's not really my thing. I would recommend it to others that were more interested in this kind of book. I also have trouble reading books that don't pull me in within the first chapter or 2 and this one didn't. However I am not a person that judges an author by reading just one book so I will be checking into this author further :)
Bookbaby
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful and considered, Empire's Daughter isn't your usual young-adult fantasy. It really isn't fantasy at all since there is no magic, but I don't know what else to call it. It's a coming of age book set in a different world. Strong female characters and realistic challenges, combined with beautiful writing, kept me reading. 5 stars!
Melinda
Jamie Piper
Pat
Rhiannon
Goodreads Librari...: Need book cover updated 3 19 Jul 27, 2018 03:41AM
Writer of historical fantasy and urban fantasy for mid-teens and up. The Empire's Legacy series explores gender expectations, the conflicts between personal belief and societal norms, and how, within a society where sexuality is fluid, personal definitions of love and loyalty change with growth and experience.

The world of Empire's Legacy was inspired by my interest in the history of Britain in th

Empire's Legacy (2 books)
  • Empire's Hostage (Empire's Legacy #2)