Start by marking “Empire's Daughter” as Want to Read:
Empire's Daughter

Read Book

Empire's Daughter

(Empire's Legacy #1)

“But the world changes. In all the women’s villages of the Empire, this week or next, a soldier like myself will arrive to ask to live in the village, to take up a trade.” Casyn paused, for a breath, a heartbeat. “And to teach you and your daughters to fight.”

ebook
Published February 18th 2015 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Empire's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empire's Daughter

Start your review of Empire's Daughter
Bjørn
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a five-star review with a caveat: this book isn't what it appears to be.

It's a trilogy, the title contains the word "Empire", a silhouette of a woman on a horse on the cover – like a run-of-the-mill epic fantasy cycle, right? What I received instead is a fascinating take on societal norms in an empire where roles of men and women have been divided so strictly that they must live separately except Festivals, when the two groups meet to – take a guess. In order to ensure the status quo is
Liz
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book…! Now this book is just something special…

This book gives a reader so much more than just one idea, one plot, one theme around strong women. This book will have you witness an Empires current, past and future affairs with its history literally changing before your eyes. It was absolutely fantastic!

In short- we are dealing with a way of life where males, from the age of 7, leave the villages to fight for the Empire and women are left behind in the villages to live, to manage, to work on
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed a copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to Rachel’s Random Resources and Arboretum Press for this free copy.

Hand to hand combat violence and resulting death
the protagonist is trained as an assassin
No graphic sex. One cat dies, no dogs.
No sexual violence but discussion of rape a possibility.
**These content warnings were included by the author for this tour.

The premise of this first novel is definitely interesting, and it mak
Samantha
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the author via Rachel's Random Resources in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Lena and Maya make a great pair. They are friends, lovers and have been since their tender teen years. For over 200 years the men and women of The Empire have lived separately. The women hunt, fish and have various other trade skills like making and mending clothing and other needed items; the men are soldiers, from the
Arthur
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The romance subplot wasn't my cup of tea so I skimmed that and I don't think characterisation is the author's strongest point yet I was hooked on the story. There's something about preparing for war that I love to read about even though I'm a pacifist at heart. I loved the MC's interactions with all the side characters, as well as her growth into who she is now. I don't think she reads as a teenager but that's okay.
My favourite part was the ending though. My heart ac
Eileen Hammond
Apr 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling tale about love, loss, and war.
Great book. Well written and obviously well researched. Lena is 17 and lives a sheltered life in her women-run village (Tirvan). Her lover and partner in business is Maya. The Emperor discovers that a rival country will soon attack. He sends mentors to the women’s villages to train them in warfare. The story is of female empowerment and Lena’s growth as she faces tough choices to become a leader. The book keeps you spellbound from the first page. Highly
Angela Crook
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Empire's Daughter was a classic fantasy novel, quest included. If you're looking to go on an epic journey and fall into this world, so much alike, yet so different from our own, with fascinating characters and complex issues to resolve, this is the story for you. I look forward to books 2 and 3.
Pearn
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking story line. Beautifully written. I love a book that starts with a map. Intriguing. I look forward to the next two books.
Meredith Fletcher
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
You can find this and other reviews on my blog: Mezzalily's Teen Book Reviews

Thanks to the author Marian Thorpe for sending me a e-copy of Empire's Daughter in exchange for an honest review!

In Empire's Daughter, women and men are separa
epizky
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An insightful and breathtaking story: Empire’s Daughter is an an inspiring, exciting story that encompasses a great deal of intriguing themes and insights into society, human nature, and personal struggle and growth. Written for the experienced reader, Empire’s daughter is the first in a series that will take the reader on an adventure of epic proportions. A must-read!
Julie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of an Empire, communities and a woman. Told by the leading character, Lena, this is an epic fantasy which is also truthful to the emotions of individual’s facing challenges both similar and different to reality. Lena, her mother, sister, aunt and others all live in a village of women and girls of all ages, and boys under seven. Men are only permitted to enter the village and be with the women and sometimes their children at certain festival times. Otherwise they are soldiers, b ...more
C.D. Tavenor
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marian Thorpe’s Empire’s Daughter, the first book of her Empire’s Legacy series, takes place in the fictional land known simply as “The Empire.” Written in the first person, the tale follows Lena, a young woman raised in the coastal town of Tirvan. Within the first few pages, I realized I’d stumbled upon a truly special story; for Thorpe has created an alternative world that bends gender and sexual norms in brilliant form.

In the Empire, women live separate from men. The men all join the militar
Helen Hollick
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a difficult and probably daunting task to make up a world. The author has to utterly convince the reader that this new world is believable, and realistic, even though it is fantasy. So the first test of such a book surely must be to make the reader think that they are having a real world described to them. Empire's Daughter passes this first test brilliantly. The whole time I was reading, I was convinced that Ms Thorpe knows every tiny detail of the empire she has created, which made what s ...more
Cassandra MADEUP BookBlog
This was an absolutely wonderful story full of the intrigue and politics that come with civilisation, a world that has been wonderfully and cleverly created to give a very rounded and realistic impression that makes it feel as though the Author has been to this place as opposed to having created it.

I loved the storyline, which shifted and changed in ways that I wasn’t entirely expecting, but in ways that completely made sense and didn’t once leave me wondering where something had come from. Oh d
Dan Fitzgerald
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The writing is tight, the story is well paced and plotted, and the writer knows just how much detail to give without going overboard.

The world is meticulously created, and the author’s research shines through in the details. Though the world is imaginary, it has the heft of reality. I’m not sure I’d call it fantasy, but it’s not historical fiction either. It’s a fully realized world very much like an unnamed place in medieval Europe, though you can never put your finger on where.

The themes of
J.R. Alcyone
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So let's start with an admission on my part: I've never actually read a historical fantasy before. I love magical realism, but I find the world-building and all the rules in fantasies to be a little too confusing and tedious; I tend to like my fiction set closer to the real world. (To give you an idea, "Field of Dreams" is my favorite movie.) For that reason, I tend to read mostly realistic fiction and "regular" historical fiction, but I decided to give Marian's trilogy a try for IndieApril.

And
Andrea Lundgren
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy in exchange for a review.

This is easily one of the most intriguing books I've read all year. While it is an adventure novel, and the main character, Lena, does learn to fight--her team is actually the one assigned to track down any invaders who might be left after the battle takes place, so she is somewhat of an assassin, I suppose--it is a thoughtful book. This is not another fast-paced, action-heavy Divergent or Throne of Glass-type book, and the main character is not your ty
K.T. Munson
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Summary

With those words, the lives of Lena, fisherwoman of Tirvan village, and her partner Maya change irrevocably. Torn apart by their responses to this request, Maya chooses exile; Lena chooses to stay to defend her village and the Empir
Jessica Belmont
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Empire’s Daughter is the first. Oc in the Empire’s Legacy series and it takes place in the land of The Empire. It is written in the first person and our main character is Lena. Marian Thorpe has created an interesting story that takes a look at gender and sexual norms.

Marian Thorpe consistently makes readers think about “traditional” roles of men and women and what an alternative view might look like. I really like the plotline because this was much more of a thought-provoking novel than I antic
Silvia Hildebrandt
This book is set in an alternate universe, ancient Britain. Among the last books I've read, it's a gem you don't find often.
You're immediately sucked into the world with its villages. The story builds up slow, but this is a positive element. This is a story to be savored, not quickly consumed.
The LGBT rep Thorpe builds into is believable and well rounded. The descriptions of the fighting practice are detailed and once you get to know the unique writing style so different from today's mainstrea
Veronica Christopher
To begin, the map and back matter is incredible and thoughtful! Now, let’s dive into this book by Marian Thorpe. Empire’s Daughter takes you away and brings you into the lives of those with hearts of different intentions. I admit I preferred certain characters over others, like darling Tice, not due to their actions but due to intent. Marian forms her lead characters in a manner that makes you feel as you’re having Sunday tea with them. Intimate.
Maria Sinclair
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a feeling that Empire’s Daughter was a book that I was going to enjoy from the moment I started reading and discovered not only a character list but a map, two things that always put a smile on my face. It is one of the downsides of reading on a Kindle that I can’t flick back and forth as easily as I would like, but that’s a conversation for another day.

Empire’s Daughter presents the fascinating premise of a society segregated by duty, only reuniting twice a year, until everything that the
Lucy-May
Another self-published book is going down on my 2019 favourites list!! I love how unique the world-building in this story is & how much it stands out because of it; I love the strength of the women in the story & how well thought out all the characters are. Even though this book is around 320 pages it felt double that length because of how much happens & I was completely consumed throughout the whole read because of the detail & depth of the plot. My copy of book two is on its way to my house & ...more
Courtney
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
A dystopian novel with archaic elements. This novel felt quite similar to Divergent (knowing one’s place) and Hunger Games (certain age, be sent off to train), but not entirely too much the same. There were clearlt 2 defined stories that comprised the novel and has natural breaks where I was wondering what was going to happen next as it seemed almost resolved, and quickly realize there is more to discover.

Thorpe has a natural talent of storytelling with vivid imagery and personification. I found
A.J. O'Brien
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautifully crafted and powerful novel. One that I’m sure has been meticulously researched and feels historically accurate. I felt the Empire, its way of life and tradition.

A soldier arrives at Tirvan, a women’s village; Casyn has brought news of an impending invasion. The request is that the women are to be taught to fight, to defend themselves from the Island of Leste. The women hold council, tradition has it that only men kill. However it is better to kill than be killed, or worse. They agr
Amber Daniels
Jul 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time getting into this book but it's not really my thing. I would recommend it to others that were more interested in this kind of book. I also have trouble reading books that don't pull me in within the first chapter or 2 and this one didn't. However I am not a person that judges an author by reading just one book so I will be checking into this author further :)
Bookbaby
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thoughtful and considered, Empire's Daughter isn't your usual young-adult fantasy. It really isn't fantasy at all since there is no magic, but I don't know what else to call it. It's a coming of age book set in a different world. Strong female characters and realistic challenges, combined with beautiful writing, kept me reading. 5 stars!
Jill Goodwin

• Izzys Magical Football Adventure
  • Shantallow
  • The Haunting at Paradise House
  • The Love Delusion
  • Blood's Campaign (Holcroft Blood, #3)
  • The Oath
  • The Kitchen Brigade
  • Hope (Operation Galton, #1)
  • The Age of Akra
  • Broad Plain Darkening
  • Blood Song (Emily Roy & Alexis Castells #3)
  • Simon Says
  • Legacy of Light
  • A Portrait Of Death (The Versipellis Mysteries Book 1)
  • In the Time of Leaving
  • The Pale
  • Daisy Daydream the Nursery Rhyme Bus
  • Good Girls Lie
Not content with two careers as a research scientist and an educator, Marian L Thorpe decided to go back to what she’d always wanted to do and be a writer. Author of the alternative world medieval trilogy Empire's Legacy, the companion novella Oraiáphon, and Empire's Reckoning, the first book of the planned Empire's Reprise trilogy, Marian also has published short stories and poetry. Her life-long ...more

Empire's Legacy (3 books)
  • Empire's Hostage (Empire's Legacy #2)
  • Empire's Exile (Empire's Legacy Book III)