Jump to ratings and reviews
Sure to thrill readers of Nora Roberts and Karen Robards, Kathy Clark’s breathtaking Denver Heroes series continues as two adrenaline junkies find themselves fighting unexpected passion—and unspeakable terror.

Ex-soldier Chris Wilson lost too many friends to war. Back home in Denver, he’s trying to make a difference as a paramedic, treating victims of crisis situations. Not even active combat could prepare Chris for the rush he gets when violence and tragedy collide, but the job isn’t the only thing making his heart race. His partner is his closest confidant from childhood, and the girl he remembers is now a strong, sensual woman . . . who needs him more than ever.

Sara Richards is more comfortable risking her life than asking for help. The petite blonde medic put a wall around her heart long ago, vowing to never let anyone hurt her again. Only now her long-buried secrets threaten to destroy everything she’s built. And though she should be able to trust Chris, his smoldering blue-gray eyes ignite desires that feel more dangerous than whatever’s lurking in the shadows. For once, Sara can’t go it alone. But Chris might just be stubborn enough to stand by her side as she faces down her worst nightmare.

217 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 18, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kathy Clark

77 books104 followers
Kathy Clark has always been a storyteller. She completed her first novel when she was four years old and self-published it the same year. The Little Black Horse That Ran Away was self-illustrated and sold out of its first printing. Thanks Mom!

Since then, a total of twenty-three novels published by Dell, Crown, and Harlequin happened. With her husband Bob Wernly as a co-writer, they published (both traditionally and epub) an additional fourteen novels.

Nine of these fourteen books were self-published in the romantic suspense, young adult and erotic romance genres. The remaining five published by Random House LLC as the Denver Heroes and Austin Heroes, released in 2015 and throughout 2016.

The author team are currently developing a new contemporary romance series (with a suspense backdrop) titled Breathless. High altitude, high stakes, and high romance, the series will begin in 2017 with the first book, Fools Gold . The series is set in Cripple Creek, Colorado.

Their young adult genre series, Time Shifters, is a time travel romance-mystery series. The fifth book in the award winning series, Not My Life releases 10.18.16.

Finally, their new adult romantic suspense series, Scandals, currently has the first three books released.

With two people developing ideas, plotting, researching, writing and editing, Kathy and Bob are both busy and productive. To be perfectly honest, Kathy and Bob would rather be riding horses, sitting on a sandy beach, watching movies or plays, and playing a round of golf every few days. But the voices in their heads insist on coming out, so they keep writing.

BOOK BLOGGERS contact LoveRealityRomance@gmail.com for any free review copies needed or requests for blog site participation. We'd be thrilled to help you out.

For a complete list of books, screenplays, awards and more, check out Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathy_Cl...

Their website is at www.TheThrillOfSuspense.com and you can sign-up for their newsletter at http://eepurl.com/Z5ypX

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 59 reviews
Profile Image for Dali.
1,748 reviews433 followers
August 25, 2015
Tragic, strong and emotionally touching.

Using his background and experience as a field medic while deployed, navy veteran Chris Wilson, is training to be a paramedic with aspirations to go into med school. But the adrenaline doesn’t stop while constantly being called into crisis situations during his night job. His boss, childhood friend and now roommate is also making his heart rate accelerate. Can he maintain their long standing friendship or will his unforeseen attraction push him to cross the line from friends to lovers?

For many years Sara Richards kept the nightmares at bay, her heart safe behind an impenetrable façade and the ghost of her past buried. But it is now haunting her waking moments and threatening her career. Can she trust Chris with her deepest, darkest secrets in order to help her through her fears? Can she overcome her past in order to embrace the promise of a future with him?

My heart broke for Sara’s stolen innocence, but it soared when I realized that she had grown up to be a strong, independent woman, albeit with deep scars and trauma. But they didn’t stop her from helping people and wanting to achieve laudable goals.

Chris was all sorts of sweet, caring, and kind. He was a natural protector, having it hard coded into his genetic makeup. He was perfect for Sara, except for one tiny detail. His lack of communication, or I should rather say, the nonexistence of communication from either Sara or Chris which increasingly peeved me throughout the story.
“He didn’t know what he was protecting her from, but he sensed it was deep, dark and very painful. All he could do was be there for her until she was ready to talk about it… his area of expertise was bloody wounds and not tortured souls.”

The blurb for this book really caught my attention and the plot hooked me right from the very sad and tragic start to the adrenalin pumping 9-1-1 emergency calls Sara and Chris attended. The story had the perfect elements for a truly emotionally griping story. From the sexy and sweet Navy veteran, the survivor heroine, the hot attraction between the two, the lovely characters from previous books, the secondary characters that rounded the daily crisis Chris and Sara faced to the incredibly cute lab they adopted. But unfortunately I feel as though it could have been so much more and the delivery fell on the short side for me.

Although the story is full of struggles and a lot of room for healing, the lack of communication between the main characters increasingly aggravated me while the emergency situations described kept coming one after the other and after the big reveal at the almost the ending things felt a bit rushed.

This is my first Kathy Clark book and I feel very curious about the previous books in this series. She has obviously done a good deal of research and has very interesting, real life matters to write about which have encouraged me to seek out more of her work.

Deep Night is book #3 in the Denver Heroes series by Kathy Clark. It is a standalone, full-length, touching romance filled lots of intense, adrenaline pumping moments (abuse, suicide, homicide). Told from both points of view, with interconnecting characters from previous books in the series, with a happy ending. So if adrenaline junkies and sweet love is your thing, this would be a good book for you.

Rating 3.5 adrenaline junkie stars

Amazon -> http://amzn.to/1gJaO2D

* I was graciously given an ARC of this book courtesy of the author via NetGalley. The excerpts are from that copy. *

More reviews * Stalk us on FaceBook * As well as Twitter * Pinterest Board for Book Teasers
Profile Image for Samantha.
571 reviews41 followers
July 30, 2015
3 kind of disappointed and bored stars for Deep Night by Kathy Clark. The overview for the book was really interesting and the pieces of the puzzle were good but the execution failed to please me. I think Clark could have done so much more with the story to really pull emotions from the reader while making the story hotter. It kind of just fell flat for me. I didn't hate it but I most certainly didn't love it, either. I don't think I'll even remember I read this in a week or so.
July 9, 2015
ARC was given via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Deep Night is an intense novel full of struggles, healing, and realization. This book is about two broken people who want to be healed. These two young adults find solace within each other and heal and fall in love. This novel had my heart broken even before I finished the prolouge. A fair warning though, this novel is heavy and deals heavily with abuse, suicide, and loss. If those are trigger warnings for you then this book is not for you.

The two in this book knew each other before they started working together, they were best friends as children but lost in touch. Chris was sort of a big brother to Sara, he was always ready to protect her in any way that he could as a child. This trait didn't subside as Chris and Sara became partners working the deep night as paramedics.

"Their families had been next door neighbors for most of their childhood, although Sarah was two years yonger than the youngest Wilson boy. Back then Chris thought she was an annoying girl that followed them around the neighborhood. Now, she was his boss."

First we meet Chris, a junk food loving ex-soldier who is a paramedic and soon to be doctor. He became a paramedic because he wanted to make a difference treating people in dire situations.

"Death by cheeseburger wasn't something he worried about. The whole time he'd been in Afghanistan, all he could think about was a juicy cheeseburger."

Next we meet Sara, a young woman who has had enough trauma in her life to last a life time. Sarah has put up walls around her heart to keep from getting hurt and then Chris comes back into her life. From what it seems, Chris was her closest friend as a child. He was there for her when no one else was, but even he doesn't know her deepest darkest secret.

I wish I could say more about this book but Sara's secret plays such a major role in the story that I can't say more. This novel was so, so, so well written and captivating that I read it in one sitting. Clark did a fabulous job with this novel. Clearly she did her research while writing Deep Night. There was one character, Malcolm, who most authors wouldn't really touch upon but Clark did it with such finesse and realistically it wasn't an issue. This novel also gives readers a small glimse of what service men and women face every day. Thank you.

My Rating: 5 "Deep Night" Stars

************************************************
Fanspace Book Blog
Like my Facebook page
 photo ASHLEENS SHIT YEAH_zpsdyx1hgpd.jpg
Profile Image for Hannah.
1,980 reviews28 followers
August 20, 2015
ARC REVIEW

Deep Night is book three in Kathy Clark's Denver Heroes series. Books one and two I loved, romantic suspense all the way; Deep Night is light on the suspense and concentrates more on the emotional side of things. It's a little anti-climatic with the suspense but really resonates emotionally. We met both Chris and Sara in the previous books, two childhood friends who drifted apart in their teens only to find each other again. This story is a little darker emotionally than the other two both Chris and Sara deal with things none of us would wish anyone to have to deal with.

Chris is from a family of heroes one brother a cop another a fireman and here he is an EMT working to become a doctor. Chris is also not long out of the NAVY, unbeknownst to his family as a medical honorable discharge. He served with the Marines as medical support and was severely injured and spend several months in rehab before telling his parents and family he was returning home. Sara is Chris' supervisor helping train him also going to school to become a doctor is a few years ahead of Chris in classes. Sara likes to blend into the background she hates standing out and drawing attention to herself, she is also hiding a dark disturbing secret. She likes Chris but knows there's no hope for them she won't let herself get hurt that way. Chris has been living with his parents since leaving the NAVY, and finally decided it's time to move out. Sara offers her spare room. Chris starts to realize Sara is hiding something she often shows signs of suffering from PTSD, and on one particularly bad night she admits to Chris her father is stalking her. Chris also runs across a fellow soldier one whose life he saved and tries to help out the guy who is suffering from PTSD. Sara and Chris find it easy living together and working together and the sexual tension flares high when they both end up needing more of an just emotional support to deal with issues. It doesn't take long before they realize ever since childhood they have loved each other.

I kid you not, Chris teases Sara a little a bit about the circadian rhythm she follows to help keep her sleep schedule; not a week later I came across a magazine Scientific American Mind with an article about circadian rhythms, a very interesting article. This always seems to happen, I'll read something in a fiction book and later come across a nonfiction story/article about something that was in the other.

As sad and (kinda) anti-climatic this one is, it is beautifully written and overall a good read.
August 28, 2015
Reviewed by Gemini

Deep Night is the third book in the Denver Heroes series. It focuses on the third and final Wilson brother, Chris, who is a paramedic. Sara Richards, their childhood neighbor and longtime friend is also part of the book and the family. The other two books were about Chris’ older brothers, a policeman and a fireman. Just like After Midnight and Cries in the Night, Deep Night can be read as a standalone. Having read all of the books recently, I felt very familiar with the family. And, just like any other family, there were a few secrets. Oddly enough, the biggest secret is being held by Sara.

It always makes for an interesting dichotomy when a book has both romantic and violent themes. The prologue jumps right into Sara’s dark secret and then the first chapter gets into a normal day as a paramedic. Chris and Sara ride together as Denver paramedics. The entire book continues at the same pace, up and down. Although, I would have thought that the book would have been more about Chris, it felt more about Sara. She had the demons and Chris had no clue what they were although he had known her for most of their lives. The fact that she was able to survive all of this time is a testament to how strong a woman she was. Chris may have spent several years overseas as a Navy medic but he was not prepared for everything that happens after he moves in with Sara. He has no clue that she has been crushing on him since they were kids either. They learn that they really don’t know each other at all. Of course, that all changes very quickly when both of their pasts come into full focus.

I found Deep Night to be predictable but still very enjoyable. It follows a familiar script but it was worth the read. This book seemed a little more gloomy than the first two books but I can only assume that was due to the fact that it was likely the final book so Kathy Clark decided to go out with a bang.

**Received a copy from Random House ~ Loveswept in exchange for an honest unbiased opinion.**
199 reviews
August 4, 2015
This can easily be read as a stand-alone without having read the rest of the series (although, now I want to read the rest of them).
Paramedics was a unique set of community heroes to feature. Their day-to-day jobs feature prominently in the story, with different types of calls paramedics respond to, what a typical shift is like and working deep night. Specific emergencies also advance the plot as Sara and Chris encounter situations that challenge them. Chris was a Navy medic and meets up with a marine he saved in theater who is now struggling with PTSD. When they respond to a call that looks like domestic abuse, Sara battles her own demons. Both Sara and the former Marine Chris saved suffer PTSD. Chris wants to save everyone. Although he tries to help them both, events unfold differently. This story has a good balance of action and romance. Their job as paramedics was interesting and well-done.
Profile Image for K.M..
165 reviews2 followers
May 12, 2015
This was a surprisingly good read from Netgalley. It was an emotional journey that two close friends experienced after reconnecting as grown ups. I really could connect to the characters and thank goodness, there was no insta-love. It was an organic chemistry with a well thought out plot as well as surrounding support characters. Only a few typos and grammatical errors. Fantastic romance that really tugs on the heart strings.
Profile Image for Grace Morales.
217 reviews8 followers
August 6, 2015
**ARC provided by publisher for honest review***
Main Characters: Chris & Sara
Full review to com 8/4
Profile Image for Seanna Yeager.
596 reviews
December 8, 2015
A complex romance, where both the heroine and the hero have dark pasts. They were childhood best friends, who end up roommates and fall in love. Lots of layers to this story.
Profile Image for Mignon Mykel.
Author 77 books643 followers
August 18, 2015
Received a copy of the title through NetGalley (publisher) and Tasty Book Tours, in exchange for an honest review.

While, yes, I gave the previous two titles in this series 5-star ratings, this one would have to be a 6-star -- because I loved, loved, loved Sara and Chris. Oh, don't get me wrong, I found it comical how Sam and Kate met, and adored Rusty (still do) and he and Julie were just perfect together, but there was something about the vulnerability, the emotion, the friendship between Sara and Chris that drove this story home for me.

This story was so much more than your typical friends-to-lovers story. There were so many parts where the emotional pull just drags you under. Kathy Clark does an amazing job with not just one almost taboo subject, but with at least two. I was at the gym, deep breathing, tears leaking, while Mission Impossible (not sure which one, not a Tom Cruise fan) was on the big screen and Ellie Goulding was singing "Love Me Like You Do".

To say Sara had demons in her past that she never properly grieved over would be an understatement. Her entire adult life was molded around a single life-changing event and it was something that nearly tore her friendship, and growing relationship, with Chris apart. But Chris... good guy Chris... never pushed. He became frustrated once or twice, but he never pushed her; he was always gentle with her and allowed her to open up on her own. Her demons shocked him -- he had been her neighbor and closest friend before he hit high school -- but he never held things against her, was always there to remind her of the light.

On the grieving front, I have to say that Chris was the better of the two. He does hold on to anguish for a while, but he lets it go within hours, rather than years.

I absolutely loved the little reminders about Chris and Sara's childhood -- her riding on his handle bars, him chasing her and rubbing her face in his armpit (even though, as Chris thinks, thank goodness they were so much older and more mature -- these two and their gruesome stories while riding in an ambulance... mature? Sure, Chris ☺)

While Chris was definitely the more levelheaded of the pair, he too showed his vulnerability a time or two, and most of his soft spots dealt with Sara.

While he couldn't be a Denver hero, I'm hopeful that we'll get to watch Nick Archer find a woman to "put up" with him. I enjoyed the glimpses we got of him and found him to be a truly likable guy -- even if he scowled and took offense to being told he looked older than his thirty-six roughened years.
Profile Image for Romance Between The Sheets.
1,295 reviews63 followers
June 21, 2016
Please note this review may contain spoilers.

Reading the blurb for DEEP NIGHT, I wasn’t sure what to expect as there’s not exactly a lot to go on. So I read the prologue and BAM!!! Kathy does not believe in easing a reader in, that’s for sure. Just a few pages in and all I can think is “WTF?”. From then on, it was almost impossible to put down. I stayed up until 1.30 am reading because every time I went to put it down, BAM!!! Something else would happen, or be revealed, and I’d be pulled right back in again.

Sara and Chris are childhood friends, having grown up next door to each other until Chris left for college. They’re reunited when Chris returns to civilian life as a paramedic training under Sara; he needs to get out of his parents’ house and she has a room to spare in her apartment. It’s a win-win situation until Sara’s teen-aged crush towards Chris resurfaces and he starts seeing her as more than just a good buddy. But Sara is holding on to a big secret that she fears could send Chris running should he ever find out.

DEEP NIGHT is a friends to lovers story that deals with some very intense and sensitive topics. A lot of time was spent on Sara and her past, but Chris had some issues of his own and I felt they were skimmed over and warranted greater discussion. I think the pace of the entire story was perfect and the relationship between Chris and Sara grew and evolved at a realistic pace. I liked the mystery surrounding the prologue as up until the 60% mark, I wasn’t sure who it was about. I had my suspicions, but the story was written in such a way that I couldn’t be 100% sure. The suspense, the relationship, the loss, heck everything, was really well written.

This is book 3 in the Denver Heroes series, and while the couples from the previous books make an appearance in DEEP NIGHT, you can read this as a stand alone. Would I read the previous two books? Yes, I think I would. But given how intense this book was, and how snippets of what the previous characters had endured were revealed, I think I’d need to be in the right frame of mind before I attempted them.

** Please note this story contains scenes of child abuse, rape and suicide, so take caution if these are triggers for you. **

For more reviews, please visit our website: www.romancebetweenthesheets.com

I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Terisa.
818 reviews4 followers
August 21, 2015
5 stars

Sara and Chris had been friends since they were children and she had always had a crush on him. She would follow him everywhere and they were the best of friends. But friends grow apart, especially when there is an age difference like theirs. He joined the Navy before she had even started high school. Now years later he’s back and she is his boss as they work the Deep Night shift as paramedics while both are working to get their degrees. When he mentioned that he needed a place to live, she offered that he move in with her but didn’t realize that how hard it would be. She doesn’t date and she doesn’t have hookups because Sara has a secret that she’s only ever told to one person in the world and that person is now dead. Now her secret has come back to haunt her and she’s terrified that when Chris finds it out, he will leave and she will once again be left alone.

Chris Wilson lost a lot of friends while in Afghanistan but he’s determined to make a difference now that he’s a paramedic. One thing is for certain, it’s a whole different ball game than working trauma on the battle field. He’s got a great teacher though with his childhood friend being his boss but he’s certain that she’s hiding something. She’s skittish, doesn’t let anyone close and he’s noticed things that he never knew about her before, one of them being that she was so beautiful. How did he never notice that, maybe moving in with her wasn’t the brightest thing he’d ever done but one things certain, he can’t walk away.

This book was amazing! While some of the story was so very hard to read, I couldn’t put it down but I’ll be honest and say that I almost didn’t get past the prologue, it was brutal for me to read. It was obvious that the author did some research while writing this book about each of the things that the main characters where going through as well as calls that they were called in on.

While this is the third book in the series, I somehow missed the second one but I can assure you that I will be purchasing it so that I can get caught up, Each book in this series ties into the others but can be read as a standalone.

I received an ARC from the Publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review.
1,193 reviews28 followers
August 21, 2015
I received an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review, and here it is.

This is the first novel I've read by this author, and although it is listed as romantic suspense, I beg to differ. This novel, the third in a series, is so much more than that. It deals with the trauma of childhood sexual abuse, in fact it opens with the heroine, Sara, being raped by her father on her tenth birthday. It also deals with domestic violence, incest, drug addiction, suicide, and PTSD, and does so in a thoughtful, sensitive manner, which is no small achievement.

Sara, and her childhood friend, Chris, moonlight as paramedics while spending their daytime hours attending medical school. They lost touch when Sara went off to college and when Chris joined the Marines and spent 5 years working as a medic. When they reconnect, they decide to share expenses by sharing an apartment, and once they do that, it's not quite so easy for Sara to hide behind the wall of normalcy she presents to the rest of the world. Chris also has issues with PTSD from his time in Afghanistan, and physical scars he's been hiding from him family. Additionally, Sara's childhood crush on her best friend, Chris, is developing into something more--something she doesn't recognize because her childhood trauma has made her deeply mistrustful of all men, and she's never even been kissed, let alone allowed a man to get close to her. The other issues mentioned earlier in this review arise as Sara and Chris encounter them as working paramedics, and in one case, a veteran whose life Chris saved while in the military.

To say that this novel is heart-wrenching is putting it mildly. Ms. Clark does a remarkable job of making the unpalatable truth of what so many rape, incest, PTSD and domestic violence victims experience understandable in a way that's both clear, comprehensible and compassionate. This is not a novel for the faint of heart--it deals with tough subjects, but it is excellent and I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Profile Image for Books and Spoons.
1,613 reviews28 followers
August 24, 2015
Heart-rending, emotional story of survival, with lots of gory details and bloody situations.
Sara is a strong woman, a true survivor, who has been able to build a successful life for herself, despite the tragedy of her childhood, that no one is aware of. The story starts with a prologue, that is not for the faint at heart, and continues from there to the adrenaline filled work situation, that Sara and Chris face daily, as EMTs.
Chris has a need to protect and serve those around him. The way he takes care of his former mate of military, Miller, is touching.
I liked both Sara and Chris, the characters are deep, they have faced tragedy, pain, and sorrow, but are working with the issues they have, they support each other when needed, and the passion between them is tender and loving. They have been friends since their childhood, but now as work partners and roommates, get to know the person their grew up to be. The attraction and interest between them is realistic, and the built up of the relationship is credible. I wish the book would have concentrated a bit more into the building of the relationship, and the characters. Because there are lots of stories of their daily life as EMTs, going into a great detail, that in my opinion, made the story move slowly, and the possible messages it could have delivered were lost in the excess of details.
There were lots of potential for deep, meaningful moments and messages, since the story touches many sensitive, and sometimes raw, issues, like suicide, PTSD, problems with legalized drugs, sexual abuse, domestic abuse, etc.
With the struggle and pain from the past, both Chris and Sara go through a journey to heal and conquer their past demons, with the support and love from each other, and the family and friends who stand beside them. A poignant, moving, and yet a joyful story of the healing power of love
~ Three Spoons and a teaspoon on the side
Profile Image for Jill.
786 reviews8 followers
August 10, 2015
3.5 stars for the third book in the Denver Heroes series which can be read as a stand alone without missing much. Deep night is the shift late at night that these two paramedics - Chris and Sara work. Chris and Sara have known each other for years since they grew up living right next door to each other but fell out of touch over time when life seemed to get in the way.

Chris Wilson is recently back from Afghanistan where he served as a medic and was witness to the very worst and best parts of humanity. Chris is studying to become a doctor and feels working as a paramedic will suit him best while in school. The last person Chris expects to be his rig partner and supervisor would be his childhood friend Sara but that is who greets him on his first day.

Sara has had a semi secret crush on Chris for years but these two have always been friends from grade school all the way on up through high school until they went their separate ways. While Sara still cares for Chris she has been through ten lifetimes worth of tragedy / grief / heartache therefore she won't pursue anything romantic with him but decides to keep those reasons very close to the vest and not explain why.

Both Chris and Sara are keeping massive secrets that are threatening to destroy everything they have accomplished if they don't face their fears and expose exactly what it is they are afraid of. While this book is classified as a romance it was more like a thriller with some romantic elements to me. There are many triggers in the writing and some moments that made me wonder how things would unfold but on a whole in was a good read and I am sure I would read more from this author in the future.
August 22, 2015
Whenever I read a book where a child is abused, I react strongly to it. Deep Night is such a story. Artfully written, our author presents us with characters that have endured pain both physical or emotional and the impact it has to their lives.

Sara presents herself as an adult fully ready to engage obstacles at full speed. This is a front. Behind that tough exterior is a fragile child living with the emotional upheaval of parental abuse. She is a remarkable character to study and experience this story with. What happens to a person who has survived sexual abuse? Are they able to live a fulfilling life as an adult and experience closeness with a partner? What does it take to make that intangible connection to partner?

Chris is our hero. With all his flaws, he is a protector seeking his place in the world after serving in Afghanistan. After all he has survived, including physical and emotional injuries, he still holds on to life and the desire to make something better of what he has been given. His drive to survive is admirable while he faces the consequences of his injuries.

PTSD affects all victims, some more than others. The plight of victims to survive the outcome of their injuries is the undercurrent of this book. From Miller who is the soldier without a future, to Chris the protector in quest to a better life, all these characters will tug at your hearts.

Profile Image for Heather.
296 reviews4 followers
August 13, 2015
Chris isn't just your normal Alpha male. A retired Navy medic with PTSD, Chris has returned to hometown to pursue his medical degree. While working towards his degree Chris work the "Deep Night" shift as a newbie paramedic with his childhood friend Sara.

Sara has always had a secret crush on Chris but a horrible incident from her childhood has made her distance herself from Chris and all other men. When Chris needs a place to live until he gets thru school and on his feet Sara doesn't think twice about offering to let him be her roommate. After just a few shorts hours of living together Sara realizes what a tragic mistake she has made. How can she live with the man she has secretly loved all these years without letting him into her nightmare.

I really wanted to love this book. The premise of the story really intrigued me so I had great hopes for this book. While I didn't love this book I did enjoy and would recommend this book to those who enjoy romantic suspense novels.

I received this boo compliments of the publisher via Tasty Book Tours and NetGalley for my honest review and opinion. All ratings and opinions stated are my own.
Profile Image for Amber.
216 reviews1 follower
July 1, 2015
ARC provide by netgalley for an honest review. Here is another book in a series that I have missed the first two before this one. In the beginning my heart was breaking from reading this story. As I continued on reading I was confused on what happened to the child. We meet Sara who was a ems paramedic and was her childhood friends Chris boss. They were working together but as a child Sara was in love with him even through high school. Chris was a medic in the navy and had suffered something terrible. He loves helping people. They both have secrets. Ones that Sara has never spoken to anyone besides her mother and Chris also has a secret that he has never spoken to about anyone. This story has tragic events throughout the book and some happy events mixed into it. I loved the characters and the strength and courage they had when it came to working the type of job they had. This book had me tearing up a lot on some of the tough parts. This book should definitely be read. Once you pick it up you wont want to put it down.
279 reviews2 followers
August 31, 2015
I found this book to be enjoyable. The reason is because it is a book that flows easily. Before you know it you are done. There is not a lot of internal dialogue. There is just normal every day dialogue between the characters. While a medic in the Army, Chris, decided he wanted to be a physician. To meet his goal, he is currently working as an EMT. His boss is no other than his best childhood friend, Sara. When she was younger, she had a crush him. Of course, he was not aware. Sara had an abusive childhood so tended to be more introverted. She did not attend the normal high school parties, prom nor had a lot of friends. Chris slowly picks up on she is broken and that something was frightening her. He just wanted to protect her. I thought this was a well written story. It drew me in from the start. The characters are a bit broken but together they begin to heal. There is minimal cursing and the sex scenes are tastefully done. I look forward to reading the story of the other brothers.
Profile Image for loves 2 read romance.
846 reviews16 followers
June 12, 2015
I was gifted a copy of this book for review by Netgalley.
This book is the third in this series. Chris is a probie paramedic. He was a medic in the Army and has seen his share of the harsher side of life and has his own scars. He is a kind soul that will gladly help anyone in need.
Sarah is not only his childhood friend but his supervisor and partner.
She is tough as nails and an excellent paramedic. However she has secrets that threaten to rip her apart. Secrets she has hidden from everyone.
When they end up living in the same apartment things begin to change and friendship becomes more.
This story is a wonderful addition to the series but one that broke my heart. Sarah's character is strong and confident despite the horrors of her childhood. Malcolm s character was a side that not many authors broach but I did think it was handled with taste and demonstrated some of the issues our service men and women face. Overall I love this series.
Profile Image for Ruthie Taylor.
3,500 reviews37 followers
August 15, 2015
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads~~

This has a number of moving and powerful messages - and quite a lot of gory bits - due to the lead characters being paramedics on the night shift. I enjoyed it, and felt that the romance developed in a believable and realistic way. I just felt here were some holes in in their high school days, although as told from the viewpoint of a teen-aged boy, maybe that makes sense. There was some humour, and definitely some tearful moments - so maybe don't read it in public if you are a weeper like me!

I would recommend this book to you, it is a slightly uneasy read with a hopeful future.

Wicked Reads Review Team
Profile Image for Cathy.
754 reviews
August 24, 2015
So Deep Night starts off just as the title says - deep and dark. And what a way to grab the reader right from the start! Sara and Chris are long time friends. They now work together and the relationship grows from there. Sara, despite suffering a traumatic childhood, is a strong, independent woman. Despite her seemingly overcoming her past, she is still a vulnerable woman that is afraid to love. Chris is a sweet and kind guy that is the perfect match for Sara. I have to say the two did frustrate me a bit with their communication skills - or lack thereof. That was the one thing that did drive me a bit nuts about this story. I enjoyed their memories of their childhoods and the tales of the calls as EMTs too. Ms. Clark has written an enjoyable tale that I would recommend for a good read that keeps the reader involved. (received copy from NetGalley for honest review)
400 reviews5 followers
May 14, 2015
Son of a... that evil, twisted creature needs to die slowly and painfully.

You're gonna have to brush on Disney movies soon, Rusty.

Poor Miller, PTSD must be horrible.

Hey, St. Nicki, why did you have to be naked to slide down a sooty chimney?

I had no idea there were so many crazies out there.

Some parts are really hard to read. Don't eat before you read this book.

If her mother wasn't already dead, I'd smack her.

Phew, I'm glad he got there in time. She would have never forgiven herself.

Hanging was too good for him. He should have gotten a taste of his own medicine.

Oh. Charlinda, you should have told Malcolm.

I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Tina Larsen.
539 reviews
July 14, 2015
Chris and Sara work the midnight shift as a Paramedic, called - Deep Night. They love this shift as they are both going to school and need to work a full time job as well. Sara and Chris both have troubled pasts that haunt them and if these childhood friends are going to be able to make a go of things - they will have to learn to navigate each others wounds. I really enjoyed getting to know these characters, I had just wished more time was taken on them as a couple then on the actual ambulance calls themselves.
This was my first book by Kathy Clark and I'm intrigued to read the first two in this Denver Heroes Series.

I was gifted a copy of this book by Random House Publishing - Loveswept through Netgalley for an honest review.
1,190 reviews10 followers
September 13, 2015
A word of warning, this book starts out with a horrible act
being omitted to a young girl. And I know we needed to be
informed, to see what had happened to out leading lady.
I was furious and then it made my cry for all the little girl lost.
I have to admit that this is such a touchy subject. And Kathy
Clark handled it well. As our story progresses it shows how
she Sara matured and handled it. It turned out to be a very
wonderful love story. And how Sara never expected to find
love. And found it at the most unlikely of places, literally right
under her nose. I hope you enjoy this book as much as I did.
If you do like this book, please consider leaving a review. The
Authors really like it when you do, they value your opinions too.
Profile Image for Heather andrews.
9,520 reviews148 followers
May 7, 2015
I liked that Sara could see through Chris's facade, "no, you’re not. And stop trying to be so stupid macho.” She gave him a withering look. “It’s too late to try to impress me. I saw you cry like a little girl when your horse broke his leg and had to be put down." Sometimes Sara has to be the voice of reason, "why don’t you take a shower while I’m gone? I don’t know about you, but I have mulch in my underwear, and I can’t wait to take a hot shower." I liked this book I liked the relationship Sara and Chris had.
Profile Image for Judy.
1,674 reviews
August 11, 2015
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book!

Kathy Clark is a "new to me" author. After reading this, I definitely will be reading more of her books. This is a dark read and is full of suspense, love, sexual abuse and just everyday life for our paramedics, cops and branches of the service. Although there are a lot of serious subjects/sadness in this book, it was an amazing book! Very well written and touched on each subject to make you aware but didn't dwell on it. A must read for sure!!
Profile Image for Pat.
1,220 reviews30 followers
August 16, 2015
This is the third in the Denver Heroes series, and focus's on Denver native, former Navy medic Chris Miller. He was honorably discharged after a career ending injury, and beginning his dreams of medical school. To supplement his income he is working as an EMS first responder. This entertaining novel covers many issues, drugs, PTSD, the plight of returning veterans and child abuse are just a few. There's a wonderful friends to lover's romance and previous characters from the first two books make an appearance. A very good read. Full review to follow........
Profile Image for Jen.
586 reviews14 followers
August 20, 2015
Lots of sad, serious and tragic moments in this friends to lovers romance. I enjoyed it, but would have liked to have had more focus on the Chris and Sara as a couple. There was so much going on around them, that it felt like some of their issues weren't fully resolved. If you've read the first two books in the series, you're enjoy catching up with Chris' brothers and their significant others. Overall an okay read.

I received an ARC via NetGalley for the purpose of an honest review. I was not compensated for this review, all conclusions are my own.
Profile Image for Danielle.
807 reviews39 followers
May 19, 2015
I liked this book. This was somewhat of a different kind of read for me than my usual contemporary romances. This story was more complex. I think I preferred the other themes of the book more than the romance. I liked to story of Chris and Sara and how they helped each other overcome their issues. I haven't read the previous stories in this series but this author has made me curious enough to want to read those.

ARC provided by NetGalley for review.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 59 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.