Start by marking “Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)

Artemis Fowl

(Artemis Fowl #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  444,248 ratings  ·  9,863 reviews
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.
Published April 1st 2003 by Disney-Hyperion (first published April 26th 2001)

·  444,248 ratings  ·  9,863 reviews

Jayson
(A-) 81% | Very Good
Notes: Ironically, it's the supernatural characters that follow familiar archetypes, while the humans are strange and atypical.
Percy
Oct 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
i managed to decipher the code written below the book so for those who are interested...read on:

THE PROPHECIES OF OHM PHLEGM POT CLEANER TO FROND ELFEN KING:
I AM OHM PHLEGM POT CLEANER TO THE KING. BUT I AM MUCH MORE THAN THAT FOR I SEE THE FUTURE WRITTEN IN THE PHLEGM. FOR CENTURIES, WE PIXIES HAVE READ THE PHLEGM, BUT I AM THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN. MY VISIONS ARE GENERALLY OF LITTLE IMPORTANCE. I FORETELL OUTBREAKS OF TROLL POX OR GAS SPASMS AMONG ELDERLY DWARFS. BUT SOMETIMES EVEN A POOR
Crew
Jun 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
I had heard some mothers in a bookstore talking about Artemis Fowl and how good it was, so I finally gave in and bought the first book.

Summary: Artemis Fowl is a child genius/billionaire/criminal mastermind who has discovered that fairies (and the like) are real and is seeking to exploit them. He does this by kidnapping a LEPrecon (for Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance). The Lower Elements live underground, having been driven there by the Mud People (or humans).

I decided that the book was n
J.G. Keely
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Colfer has described this series as “Die Hard, with fairies”, which is a reference to an old Hollywood joke. After the phenomenal success of that movie, a lot of writers started pitching their scripts as ‘Die Hard, with [blank]”, such as Speed: “Die Hard on a Bus”, or Air Force One: “Die Hard, on Air Force One”, or, as the joke goes, the unfortunate who wanted to make "Die Hard, in a building".

If you have actually seen Die Hard, you might recall Hans Gruber, the wealthy, cunning, erudite, Europe
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The sophisticated reader of YA books, Faery lovers
Want to meet the guy who's smart enough to take over the world? Well he's twelve years old. And his name is Artemis Fowl. I have two words for this book: GREAT FUN.
If you are at all young at heart or you just want to read something different from your usual fare, then check out this book. Artemis will keep you entertained with his hijinks. At the age of 12, Artemis is keeping his family afloat as they suffer from grief at the disappearance of Artemis Fowl, Sr, his father. His mother has retreat
Ahmad Sharabiani
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1), Eoin Colfer
Artemis Fowl is a series of eight science fiction fantasy novels written by Irish author Eoin Colfer.
Artemis Fowl is the first book in the Artemis Fowl series. It follows the adventures of Artemis Fowl, a twelve-year-old criminal mastermind, as he kidnaps a fairy for a large ransom of 24-carat gold with the help of his bodyguard, Domovoi Butler and his sister, Juliet Butler, to restore the Fowl family fortune. After multiple attempts by the LEP (Lower
Montzalee Wittmann
Artemis Fowl: Artemis Fowl, Book 1
By Eoin Colfer
Narrated By Nathaniel Parker
I borrowed this book from the library. I figured everyone in the world has read this but me and thought I would catch up. What a hoot! Loved it! I don't know what I thought it was going to be but I didn't expect a 12 year old genius villain! My goodness, I thought it was great! The fairies, dwarves, trolls, and the silly things that happen, I giggled so much. It was so silly I can see why kids love this book. I am defini
Jason Koivu
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, fantasy
From the get-go it appears Artemis Fowl is going to be about Artemis Fowl, a criminal boy genius with Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction, but then bomb squad-esque faeries take over the story and we end up spending just as much time, if not more, reading about them. That's fine since they're interesting and their story moves with a good dash of fun and excitement.

This is another of those books with a redeemable bad-guy protagonist. We shouldn't, but we do root for him, at least in some wa
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
99c Kindle sale, Oct. 11, 2018. A solid, amusing start to this YA fantasy series, about a twelve-year-old millionaire evil genius. Okay, he's not really evil, but he is into criminal heists, especially since the family wealth is gone, his father has disappeared, and his mother is mentally ill, out of touch with reality. So Artemis, having used his brilliant mind to figure out that fairies are real, decides to restore the family fortune by kidnapping a fairy and holding him or her for for ransom. ...more
Ahmed  Ejaz
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, full-lengths
SPOILER FREE review if you will not open the spoiler tags
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? Various psychiatrists have tried and failed.

WORLD-BUILDING
All the fairies, elves, dwarves, goblins, trolls live in the underground world. This world has its own technology which is beyond our comprehension and have their own laws.

CHARACTERS
Artemis Fowl [ of course ]
(Doesn't this name sounds Awesome!!!)
No need to say, he is a super genius criminal. You know how old he is? Just 12 YE
Drew Nelson
May 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people on airplanes
Artemis Fowl, though entertaining and often well told, is one of those books that has bound itself with the shackles of pandering to a perceived audience and thus will never rise above a certain level. For example, the dwarf character defeats his enemies with the help of his terribly powerful flatulence more than once. The whole race tunnels with the power of poop. The main faerie character, Holly, is a girl trying to break her way through a glass ceiling that no one seems to notice throughout t ...more
Raeleen Lemay
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Read for Popsugar's 2018 Reading Challenge #9: A book about a villain or antihero

I so wish I'd read this as a kid. I would have devoured the entire series in a matter of days! However, as an adult, this book isn't much more than a fun fantasy adventure, so I can't give it any higher than 3 stars. It was entertaining, but nothing special in the long run. (Highly recommend it to all kids though!!)
Juan Valera
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
First and foremost, let it be said that I am reading a book intended for someone half my age. Artemis Fowl is the kind of book that grabs a kid by the eyeballs because of the pretty, shiny cover. But once the cover's open and the story laid out, Artemis Fowl is an incredibly gripping story about growing up, equality and acceptance. This was exactly the case when I first read Artemis Fowl; I immediately loved the intelligent, resourceful, but ultimately unhappy Artemis. A better character a teena ...more
Natalie Monroe
Well, looks like my 14-year-old was right--it was as bad as I remembered. The concept was nice, but terrible execution and the plot got too muddled in the middle. It tries to be funny but fails. Epically.

And Artemis struck as a wee sexist. He doesn't want to hurt a girl because she reminds him of his mother and his friend, Juliet. The author might be trying to show that Artemis is actually a nice guy, but the way I see it, there are only two options: Oedipus Complex or sexist jerk.

It's gotta be
Stephanie (Bookfever)
"A genius. A criminal mastermind. A millionaire. And he is only twelve years old."

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer is my favorite book ever. EVER! I read it for the first time when I was fourteen years old and have been reading the series ever since. I've re-read the book over and over again. I can't even remember how many times I have read it but by now this book feels like an old friend and it's just as amazing as when I read it the first time. Now that I've re-read it once again, I think it's ti
Brittany
Well what to say, This book definitely had a younger audience in mind, but I still really enjoyed Holly. I definitely found myself on the side AGAINST Artemis right away. Artemis' attitude and the way that he talks to and treats others made him really hard to like. I wasn't a big fan of his.. Any redemption was too little too late for me unfortunately.

The created world IS interesting, but it's not a series that I will rush to continue.
Cody
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm crazy. That's the way history is written.”

It is such a delight to note that Artemis Fowl excels in characterisation and storytelling that both young and old alike will enjoy being trapped amongst its pages. The plot is a bit reminiscent of Die Hard, only with magical creatures and high tech weaponry. At only age 12, young Artemis Fowl exerts a genius-l
Wanda
Artemis Fowl (or should that be Foul?) is an interesting mix of Lex Luthor and Encyclopedia Brown. He’s a boy genius with designs on leprechaun gold and he is willing to kidnap and deceive his way to his goal. But the fairy world is not going to just roll over and submit to Artemis’ demands, especially not Captain Holly Short, who is being held captive in Fowl Manor.

It’s a quick read, well written. If I was part of the intended demographic, I would probably be more impressed, but it’s a bit tame
Meridyforgot
May 14, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I haven't read the whole book, and there is a slim chance that I might try to continue and so I post this review.

The problem is that the onslaught of cheap jabs at the "barbarian humans" destroying the earth is becoming extremely irritating. And miraculously Ireland is still nice and green, but give those humans a few hundred years and it will be destroyed. Please. It completely distracts from the story. Why do we have to spoon feed children dogmatic propaganda? Don't get me wrong.
Maruf Hossain
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বয়স সবে ১২! কিনতু এরই মাঝে অপরাধ জগতের এক বিসময় ছেলেটা। হবে না-ই বা কেন? এটাই যে তার পরিবারের ঐতিহয। ফাউল পরিবার অপরাধ জগতের রুই-কাতলা পরিবার। কিনতু কালের বিবরতনে বিপুল সমপততির উললেখযোগয অংশ হারিয়ে বসেছে ফাউল পরিবার। সেই ফাউল পরিবারের সরবকনিষঠ সদসয আরটেমিস ফাউল এ বইয়ের পরদান চরিতর। বাবার অনতরধানের পর থেকে একাই পারিবারিক বিষয়আশয় সামলাচছে ছেলেটা। পরিবারের হৃত সমপততি আবার আগের মতো ফুলিয়ে ফাঁপিয়ে তুলতে চাইছে সে। আর সেজনয অবলমবন করবে একেবারে ভিনন এক পথ!

মানুষের অতযাচারে জরজরিত হয়ে এখন পাতালে বাস করে র
Alaina
Not going to lie.. this book has been on my radar for a while.. but once I saw that it was becoming a movie... well I jumped on this book quicker than a bottle of wine being uncorked!

Artemis Fowl was such an interesting and enjoyable book. Artemis is basically your best nemesis ever! He's brilliant, evil as fudge, and a ruthless bastard all wrapped into one! Oh, did I forget to mentions he's also en evil millionaire mastermind?!?! He's like the Doctor Evil and the Mini Me all combined into one p
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
An quick, entertaining read but not as good as our friend Mr Potter... I usually love young adult's litterature but I just didn't like Colfer's writing style and the plot was really weak. Still, there are some good ideas here and I'm not surprised the book has been such a success.
Aoife
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved rereading this! It's been a long, long time since I read this when I was a child and it was great returning to the world of the 12-year-old Artemis Fowl - a child genius and criminal mastermind - who has decided to make the fairy world fall down at his feet and give up their gold so he can rebuild his family fortune.

I had forgotten a lot of the details about this story so for most of the book it was like reading it for the first time, and gradually in a great way the memories came back t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I've been trying to find a new series to hold me over until the next Harry Potter book--and I've finally found it. Meet Artemis Fowl the Second, a twelve-year old genius who doesn't want to go to school, is worried about his mother's fragile mental health, is preoccupied with his father coming back from the dead, and who is determined to add to his family's coffers by any means possible. In a word, Artemis is an evil genius, and you just can't help but love him
Mitticus
Mucho mejor de lo que me esperaba, habia visto comentarios encontrados de este libro, y la verdad era justo lo que necesitaba. Lo tenia pendiente hacia muchos años.

Es un libro de aventuras fantásticas , corto, ligero y entretenido. Un chico de 12 años con una mente de genio criminal. Y seres feericos que poseen tecnologia superior a la humana y que viven bajo tierra evitando contacto con los humanos.

El encuentro entre ambos, cuando Artemis secuestra a un oficial de policia elfo para obtener gana
Andrew
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well I have a number of Eoin Colfer books in my collection but the Artemis series has always drawn my eye the most. Ironic that I finally get around to reading them when the first book is about to released as a film later this year.

I think one of the issues was that out of the series I have all but the first two books in hardback while the first two are paperback and I was having a total mental block as well they were. Well I found them finally and I now am about to launch (via a few other distr
Leona  Carstairs
Apr 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
OMG I HEARD THEY'RE MAKING A MOVIE WHAT THE FRICK!!!

Are you one of the people who are obsessed with antiheroes? (Like me lol)

Ahhh, hi, nice to meet you. I think I've found the perfect book/series for you!

This is a book about an evil, millionaire mastermind kid called Artemis. He's honestly evil and ruthless and a total bastard and I LOVE it. This series also has magic and a super cool, badass LEPrechaun called Holly. Freaking fabulous! (And it just gets better with each book!)
George Jankovic
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is an interesting mix of fantasy and scifi. Hi-tech meets the fairies. I loved its world building especially all the lore on the fairies, their location, their rules and regulations etc.

Artemis a genius, but my favorite characters were Butler, his butler, and Captain Holy Short, a fairy who is his victim.

The book is a quick read. It will be hard to put it down even if you have to. :)
José
Una lectura ligera y entretenida.
El sentido del humor de Colfer me resultó similar al de Terry Pratchett (salvando las distancias, claro; Terry es único) y el hecho de que el protagonista fuera un villano me gustó mucho.

(Reseña pendiente)
Jonathan Peto
Oct 28, 2013 rated it liked it
If I had thought of this story, I would have told it, but I would have done quite a few things differently, if possible. In other words, I like the story itself: with his family's wealth dangerously on the wane, criminal mastermind and 12 year old boy, Artemis Fowl, formulates a bold plan to kidnap a fairy and seize a ransom of gold. But his is not the only point of view on either side of the incident. We hear from his loyal employee, Butler, as well as the fairies. This equal billing actually u ...more
Artemis and holly together 50 421 Apr 14, 2019 05:21AM
For Love of a Book: Artemis Fowl - Buddy Read February 33 33 Apr 07, 2019 01:01PM
Artemis Fowl Movie 25 185 Mar 24, 2019 02:20PM
Cluny Readers: Artemis Fowl books are likely to become very popular 1 2 Mar 01, 2019 07:19AM
Play Book Tag: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer - 3 stars 5 13 Jan 30, 2019 07:14AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • Bloodhound (Beka Cooper, #2)
  • Speak
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Mister Monday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Angel's Command (Flying Dutchman, #2)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
  • Song Quest (Echorium Sequence) (Volume 1)
  • Wizard's Holiday
  • Faerie Lord
  • City of Flowers (Stravaganza, #3)
  • Other Worlds
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • Island of the Aunts
  • The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A

Artemis Fowl (8 books)
  • The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3)
  • The Opal Deception  (Artemis Fowl, #4)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8)
“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” 3087 likes
“It's like learning to ride a unicorn. You never forget.” 2259 likes