Start by marking “Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)” as Want to Read:
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)

Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl #1)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  397,219 Ratings  ·  8,344 Reviews
Twelve-year-old Artemis Fowl is a millionaire, a genius—and, above all, a criminal mastermind. But even Artemis doesn't know what he's taken on when he kidnaps a fairy, Captain Holly Short of the LEPrecon Unit. These aren't the fairies of bedtime stories—they're dangerous! Full of unexpected twists and turns, Artemis Fowl is a riveting, magical adventure.
Published March 31st 2003 by Miramax (first published 2001)

Percy
Oct 17, 2007 Percy rated it really liked it
i managed to decipher the code written below the book so for those who are interested...read on:

THE PROPHECIES OF OHM PHLEGM POT CLEANER TO FROND ELFEN KING:
I AM OHM PHLEGM POT CLEANER TO THE KING. BUT I AM MUCH MORE THAN THAT FOR I SEE THE FUTURE WRITTEN IN THE PHLEGM. FOR CENTURIES, WE PIXIES HAVE READ THE PHLEGM, BUT I AM THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN. MY VISIONS ARE GENERALLY OF LITTLE IMPORTANCE. I FORETELL OUTBREAKS OF TROLL POX OR GAS SPASMS AMONG ELDERLY DWARFS. BUT SOMETIMES EVEN A POOR
Crew
Jun 11, 2008 Crew rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NOBODY
I had heard some mothers in a bookstore talking about Artemis Fowl and how good it was, so I finally gave in and bought the first book.

Summary: Artemis Fowl is a child genius/billionaire/criminal mastermind who has discovered that fairies (and the like) are real and is seeking to exploit them. He does this by kidnapping a LEPrecon (for Lower Elements Police Reconnaissance). The Lower Elements live underground, having been driven there by the Mud People (or humans).

I decided that the book was n
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Oct 24, 2008 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: The sophisticated reader of YA books, Faery lovers
Want to meet the guy who's smart enough to take over the world? Well he's twelve years old. And his name is Artemis Fowl. I have two words for this book: GREAT FUN.
If you are at all young at heart or you just want to read something different from your usual fare, then check out this book. Artemis will keep you entertained with his hijinks. At the age of 12, Artemis is keeping his family afloat as they suffer from grief at the disappearance of Artemis Fowl, Sr, his father. His mother has retreat
J.G. Keely
Aug 29, 2011 J.G. Keely rated it it was ok
Colfer has described this series as “Die Hard, with fairies”, which is a reference to an old Hollywood joke. After the phenomenal success of that movie, a lot of writers started pitching their scripts as ‘Die Hard, with [blank]”, such as Speed: “Die Hard on a Bus”, or Air Force One: “Die Hard, on Air Force One”, or, as the joke goes, the unfortunate who wanted to make "Die Hard, in a building".

If you have actually seen Die Hard, you might recall Hans Gruber, the wealthy, cunning, erudite, Europe
Jason Koivu
Jan 10, 2014 Jason Koivu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, fantasy
From the get-go it appears Artemis Fowl is going to be about Artemis Fowl, a criminal boy genius with Sherlock Holmes-like powers of deduction, but then bomb squad-esque faeries take over the story and we end up spending just as much time, if not more, reading about them. That's fine since they're interesting and their story moves with a good dash of fun and excitement.

This is another of those books with a redeemable bad-guy protagonist. We shouldn't, but we do root for him, at least in some wa
Ahmad Sharabiani
Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: اول ژانویه سال 2006 میلادی
عنوان: آرتمیس فاول و گروگان گیری - کتاب 1؛ نویسنده: یون (ایون) کالفر؛ مترجم: شیدا رنجبر؛ ویراستار: شهرام رجب زاده؛ تهران، افق، 1382؛ در 454 ص؛ کتاب نخست از سری آرتمیس فاول؛ چاپ سوم 1385؛ چاپ چهارم 1386؛ چاپ پنجم 1387؛ چاپ ششم 1389؛ چاپ هشتم 1391؛ چاپ نهم 1392؛ شابک: 9789643690847؛ موضوع: داستانهای دنباله دار برای نوجوانان از نویسندگان انگلیسی - قرن 21 م
عنوان: آرتمیس فاول - کتاب 1؛ نویسنده: یون (ایون) کالفر؛ مترجم: حسین
Ahmed  Ejaz
Dec 31, 2016 Ahmed Ejaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER FREE review if you will not open the spoiler tags
How does one describe Artemis Fowl? Various psychiatrists have tried and failed.

WORLD-BUILDING
All the fairies, elves, dwarves, goblins, trolls live in the underground world. This world has its own technology which is beyond our comprehension and have their own laws.

CHARACTERS
Artemis Fowl [ of course ]
(Doesn't this name sounds Awesome!!!)
No need to say, he is a super genius criminal. You know how old he is? Just 12 YE
Drew Nelson
May 13, 2008 Drew Nelson rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people on airplanes
Artemis Fowl, though entertaining and often well told, is one of those books that has bound itself with the shackles of pandering to a perceived audience and thus will never rise above a certain level. For example, the dwarf character defeats his enemies with the help of his terribly powerful flatulence more than once. The whole race tunnels with the power of poop. The main faerie character, Holly, is a girl trying to break her way through a glass ceiling that no one seems to notice throughout t ...more
Juan Valera
Aug 31, 2010 Juan Valera rated it really liked it
First and foremost, let it be said that I am reading a book intended for someone half my age. Artemis Fowl is the kind of book that grabs a kid by the eyeballs because of the pretty, shiny cover. But once the cover's open and the story laid out, Artemis Fowl is an incredibly gripping story about growing up, equality and acceptance. This was exactly the case when I first read Artemis Fowl; I immediately loved the intelligent, resourceful, but ultimately unhappy Artemis. A better character a teena ...more
Maruf Hossain
Oct 04, 2016 Maruf Hossain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
বয়স সবে ১২! কিনতু এরই মাঝে অপরাধ জগতের এক বিসময় ছেলেটা। হবে না-ই বা কেন? এটাই যে তার পরিবারের ঐতিহয। ফাউল পরিবার অপরাধ জগতের রুই-কাতলা পরিবার। কিনতু কালের বিবরতনে বিপুল সমপততির উললেখযোগয অংশ হারিয়ে বসেছে ফাউল পরিবার। সেই ফাউল পরিবারের সরবকনিষঠ সদসয আরটেমিস ফাউল এ বইয়ের পরদান চরিতর। বাবার অনতরধানের পর থেকে একাই পারিবারিক বিষয়আশয় সামলাচছে ছেলেটা। পরিবারের হৃত সমপততি আবার আগের মতো ফুলিয়ে ফাঁপিয়ে তুলতে চাইছে সে। আর সেজনয অবলমবন করবে একেবারে ভিনন এক পথ!

মানুষের অতযাচারে জরজরিত হয়ে এখন পাতালে বাস করে র
Andrew
Jan 15, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
We were on holiday, and the little cottage we were staying in had a huge range of books. Unfortunately most of the adult books were colossal monsters that there was no way I was going to read in a week. So instead I decided to see what modern kids books were like and picked up Artemis Fowl, a book aimed at boys of about 11 years of age.

The character of Artemis is 12, and a crime lord. Helped by his trusty bodyguard Butler he has discovered that fairies are real, and also really do have a pot of
Meridyforgot
May 14, 2009 Meridyforgot rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I haven't read the whole book, and there is a slim chance that I might try to continue and so I post this review.

The problem is that the onslaught of cheap jabs at the "barbarian humans" destroying the earth is becoming extremely irritating. And miraculously Ireland is still nice and green, but give those humans a few hundred years and it will be destroyed. Please. It completely distracts from the story. Why do we have to spoon feed children dogmatic propaganda? Don't get me wrong.
Wanda
Artemis Fowl (or should that be Foul?) is an interesting mix of Lex Luthor and Encyclopedia Brown. He’s a boy genius with designs on leprechaun gold and he is willing to kidnap and deceive his way to his goal. But the fairy world is not going to just roll over and submit to Artemis’ demands, especially not Captain Holly Short, who is being held captive in Fowl Manor.

It’s a quick read, well written. If I was part of the intended demographic, I would probably be more impressed, but it’s a bit tame
Stephanie (Bookfever. ❤)
"A genius. A criminal mastermind. A millionaire. And he is only twelve years old."

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer is my favorite book ever. EVER! I read it for the first time when I was fourteen years old and have been reading the series ever since. I've re-read the book over and over again. I can't even remember how many times I have read it but by now this book feels like an old friend and it's just as amazing as when I read it the first time. Now that I've re-read it once again, I think it's ti
Aoife
Dec 02, 2015 Aoife rated it it was amazing
I loved rereading this! It's been a long, long time since I read this when I was a child and it was great returning to the world of the 12-year-old Artemis Fowl - a child genius and criminal mastermind - who has decided to make the fairy world fall down at his feet and give up their gold so he can rebuild his family fortune.

I had forgotten a lot of the details about this story so for most of the book it was like reading it for the first time, and gradually in a great way the memories came back t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

I've been trying to find a new series to hold me over until the next Harry Potter book--and I've finally found it. Meet Artemis Fowl the Second, a twelve-year old genius who doesn't want to go to school, is worried about his mother's fragile mental health, is preoccupied with his father coming back from the dead, and who is determined to add to his family's coffers by any means possible. In a word, Artemis is an evil genius, and you just can't help but love him
Jonathan Peto
Oct 28, 2013 Jonathan Peto rated it liked it
If I had thought of this story, I would have told it, but I would have done quite a few things differently, if possible. In other words, I like the story itself: with his family's wealth dangerously on the wane, criminal mastermind and 12 year old boy, Artemis Fowl, formulates a bold plan to kidnap a fairy and seize a ransom of gold. But his is not the only point of view on either side of the incident. We hear from his loyal employee, Butler, as well as the fairies. This equal billing actually u ...more
Heather
Sep 04, 2007 Heather rated it really liked it
I've seen these books in the stores for a while, but had actually steered clear of them because I thought they were just a Harry Potter knock off. The other day, I was in the kid section with Daniel while he was playing with the train table, and they caught my eye again. As they had the first 3 books in the series for $9.98, I decided to give them a try. Who am I to pass up a bargain?

Well, let me just say, it is not a Harry Potter knock off! Yes, it deals with sprites, dwarves, leprechauns, and
José
Una lectura ligera y entretenida.
El sentido del humor de Colfer me resultó similar al de Terry Pratchett (salvando las distancias, claro; Terry es único) y el hecho de que el protagonista fuera un villano me gustó mucho.

(Reseña pendiente)
Aurora
Mar 13, 2016 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was exactly what I wanted it to be: fun, fast-paced and entertaining. It has an original and action-packed plot, compelling characters and very interesting world building. I flew through it and if I owned the rest of the books in this series there's a real chance I wouldn't be getting much else done today.
Megan Baxter
Nov 08, 2011 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this more than I expected too, coming right on the heels of reading one of the Percy Jackson books, which are okay, but nothing special. (Sometimes the universe just throws books at me in clumps like that. Or, to be more precise, the London public library system.)

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
George Jankovic
Aug 14, 2016 George Jankovic rated it it was amazing
This book is an interesting mix of fantasy and scifi. Hi-tech meets the fairies. I loved its world building especially all the lore on the fairies, their location, their rules and regulations etc.

Artemis a genius, but my favorite characters were Butler, his butler, and Captain Holy Short, a fairy who is his victim.

The book is a quick read. It will be hard to put it down even if you have to. :)
Stephie
Es ideal para pasar el rato, una lectura ideal para verano, aunque no me lleno lo suficiente. Puede que el problema sea que es un libro introductorio a este mundo y sus personajes, no sé, habrá que ver en el próximo. Igual me gusto, me desarrollaré más en la reseña al libro.
Madeleine Montuna
Jan 29, 2012 Madeleine Montuna rated it it was amazing
I love the Harry Potter series, so i often compare book to Harry Porter.. The book Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer has been on the shelves for years now but i never had the chance to pick it up. People often encouraged me to read it,often times referring to the books as the next Harry Potter . While they have some of the same fictional ,imaginative , well written storyline doesn't mean they should be compared. Just because a book might be as highly liked as Harry Potter doesn't mean they follow the ...more
Ann
Jul 18, 2008 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans for Rick Riordan and Neil Gaiman
So, interesting! I finally gave this a go after years of curiosity! I'd heard such mixed things about it that I finally had to discover for myself what I thought of it.

End result? I totally enjoyed it! It was one of the few books that I really wasn't sure how it was going to end! And the best/worst part is that I really wasn't sure how I *wanted* it to end. Was I happy/satisfied with the ending? Yes.

One of the main characters in this book is Artemis Fowl, a young boy (12) who's mature far beyond
Lör K.
"Confidence is ignorance," advised the centaur. "If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.

When I was younger, I got this with my Dad when I was in Sainsbury's. I thought it would be a good book, and when I got home, immediately started reading it. I was bored by it very quickly and threw it aside, where it ended up in my shed, never to be opened for years. I found it a little while ago when going through the shed, and decided to give it a read. If I didn't like it
Kathryn
Mar 29, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Ann
Well, hum. What an interesting book! I enjoyed it (enhanced, I think, by the audiobook/narrator) but I'm also a bit puzzled over it. First of all, I am surprised this is a book for children. Not that there is anything horrendous or that "adult" in it, but it just doesn't seem like a book for kids. Sure, Artemis is twelve, but a child protagonist does not a children's book make. The style doesn't seem particularly kid-friendly (lots of big vocabulary, lots of changing around between scenes/charac ...more
Stephen
Dec 31, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: percy jackson fans
Artemis Fowl, a nefarious 12 year old criminal mastermind, and scion of a wealthy and feared family, tangles with fairies in order to make the ultimate score but these aren't the fairies you heard about in the nursery. What results is a rollicking roller coaster adventure that owes more to Die Hard than to the Brothers Grimm. With a bit of attitude borrowed from the Percy Jackson school of myth re-invention.

As with any NY Times best seller aimed at the youth market, this book will be loved by so
Julie
Sep 05, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Embarrassingly, it turns out I had absolutely no idea what Artemis Fowl was about. My mind had somehow combined it with Eragon, the sound of Artemis' name making me think it was some sort of YA fantasy with dragons. Instead: our main character is a cunning twelve-year-old supervillain from a long-standing family of aristocratic criminals?? With a family of badass Eurasian bodyguards trained to kick ass and help the Fowls by any means necessary? oh my god WHY DID THE WORLD NOT TELL ME ABOUT THIS

Tina
Feb 03, 2017 Tina rated it liked it
Either I had very high expectations, or it's not my cup of tea. I didn't find it engaging at all. Besides, I'd agree with some comments that it is too critical of humans for a children's book. However there were some parts of the story that I really liked. My favourite quote: "If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose then I'm mad. That's the way history is written". That's so true...
YA Buddy Readers'...: Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer- Restarting May 20th 2017 60 115 May 31, 2017 06:12AM
Artemis and holly together 43 292 Apr 13, 2017 10:34AM
Future Teachers, ...: Jones-Review 7 1 2 Nov 18, 2016 11:02PM
  • The Never War (Pendragon, #3)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)
  • Deep Wizardry (Young Wizards, #2)
  • Ruler of the Realm (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #3)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Searching for Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #2)
  • The Cobra King of Kathmandu (Children of the Lamp, #3)
  • The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2)
  • Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3)
  • Street Magic (The Circle Opens, #2)
  • Drowned Wednesday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #3)
  • Fly by Night (Fly by Night, #1)
  • The Seven Songs (Merlin Saga, #2)
Eoin Colfer (pronounced Owen) was born in Wexford on the South-East coast of Ireland in 1965, where he and his four brothers were brought up by his father and mother, who were both educators.

He received his degree from Dublin University and began teaching primary school in Wexford. He has lived and worked all over the world, including Saudi Arabia, Tunisia and Italy. After the publication of the A
More about Eoin Colfer...

Artemis Fowl (8 books)
  • The Arctic Incident (Artemis Fowl, #2)
  • The Eternity Code (Artemis Fowl, #3)
  • The Opal Deception  (Artemis Fowl, #4)
  • The Lost Colony (Artemis Fowl, #5)
  • The Time Paradox (Artemis Fowl, #6)
  • The Atlantis Complex (Artemis Fowl, #7)
  • The Last Guardian (Artemis Fowl, #8)

61 trivia questions
12 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“Confidence is ignorance. If you're feeling cocky, it's because there's something you don't know.” 2900 likes
“It's like learning to ride a unicorn. You never forget.” 2237 likes