Start by marking “Entsetzliches Gleichmaß (Star Trek, Deep Space Nine #9.02)” as Want to Read:
Entsetzliches Gleichmaß (Star Trek, Deep Space Nine #9.02)

Entsetzliches Gleichmaß

(Star Trek: Mirror Universe (Relaunch Continuity) #4)

In unserem Universum wurde eine cardassianische Schläfer-Agentin namens Iliana Ghemor einst chirurgisch verändert, um wie Kira Nerys auszusehen. Sie sollte diese Widerstandskämpferin und Heldin, die den Planeten Bajor befreite, ersetzen. Dieser Plan wurde jedoch nie in die Tat umgesetzt, und das Schicksal der Agentin blieb unbekannt ... bis jetzt.

Der letzten sechzehn Jahre
Mass Market Paperback, deutsche Erstausgabe, 310 pages
Published April 26th 2013 by CrossCult, Ludwigsburg (first published April 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Entsetzliches Gleichmaß, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entsetzliches Gleichmaß

Crystal Bensley
Aug 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second half of this book was really cool.
Dan
Jan 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ds9, star-trek
While Fearful Symmetry is well written and great insight into the character of Ghemor, it doesn't advance the overall storyline a great deal. The backstory is very much appreciated, but I found myself wanting the story to get under way. Additionally, due to the fact that I have been spoiled by the very high quality of writing in the Deep Space Nine relaunch series so far, I felt that Fearful Symmetry was just a tiny bit lower on the scale than the previous books. The gimmick of the "flip book" i ...more
Zachary
Literally the only complaint I have is that this novel barely progresses the ongoing plot. Instead we’re treated to a small amount of progression and then half a novel of in-depth backstory creating one of the most compelling villains in Trek history and certainly in Trek-lit history. I can’t wait to see where the Soul Key takes things from here, because this novel was nothing like I expected, in the best ways possible.
Pascal
Jun 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first part, Side one as they call it, was ok. It's average but entertaining for the most part. The side two however was a real pain to read. It left me with the after taste of a chore you have to get through in order to access the next book in the series. The plot devices are hackneyed and obvious, the characters are stereotypical and boring. I'm a little scared that the same author wrote "Soul Key". I hope it's better than this one.
Filip Sławiński
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Olivia Woods made a great expansion of the episode "Second Skin". Iliana Ghemor feels like a classic Trek villain.
Bradley
Not too bad as Star Trek goes. Can't say it was the greatest, but then again I only half-liked the Deep Space Nine series anyhow. Not for me. Definitely not keeping it.
Greg
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book that continues the incredible ride that has been the reboot novels. Who would have thought that two novellas would enhance the legend of ds9 and its "universe" by so much? And the evil genius of the Obsidian order, their machinations and their long seated plots to rid the quadrant of the Bajorans and the fighting spirit forever are amazing. Evil, but amazing. My respect for ds9 has just gone into overdrive.
Adam
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would rather have given the book a 3.5. It's good - and I especially like the backstory of a long-referenced, but never-seen Star Trek character - but it could have been a bit richer. And while I liked the idea of the books's construction, I felt the format was more window-dressing than substantive.
Preston Pendergraft
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Outstanding if dark. I read it on Kindle so the flip book part did not come through like a physical book. I really enjoyed this book though the second part started off a little dull, but by the end I was interested in that character.
Maurice Jr.
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book picked up from where Warpath left off with two different approaches to the same story. One was what we expected- DS9 in the aftermath of Commander Vaughn's mission to Harkoum to capture Taran'atar and rescue Ensign Prynn Tenmei. The Cardassian Woman was revealed to be the Mirror Universe Iliana Ghemor at the end of Warpath- here she explains that she came to this universe to stop her main universe counterpart from killing every Kira Nerys in every universe she can find (she already sta ...more
Luke
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The latest in the DS9 relaunch series, Fearful Symmetry is essestially two books in one. The first, titled "side A" follows directly on from the events of Warpath and generally centers around Kira Nerys.

The second, "side b" follows the tale of Illiana Ghemor, an agent of the Obsidian Order, first introduced in the DS9 series episode "Second Skin" The book follows her tale from her youth to her eventual recruitment by the Obsidian Order and later her assignment to replace Kira. The book fills in
Jimyanni
Nov 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This continuation of the Deep Space Nine saga is as well-written as most have been, but it is in something of an experimental format which I didn't feel worked particularly well. It hearkens back to the old days of science-fiction pulps, when a book would often be composed of two shortish novellas, back-to-back so that both "front" and "back" have their own cover art, and no matter which side of the book you held, you seemed to be looking at a "front"; inside, one would read through to roughly t ...more
Daniel
Jun 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Fearful Symmetry" certainly isn't bad, but it isn't amazing either. This is a two part book. The first half focuses on the Kira we all know from the television series and how she is handling her life post-attack. The second part is from the perspective of Iliana, the one from the "Prime" side. The portion that focuses on Kira is rather standard fare for the Deep Space Nine relaunch novels, but the Iliana section is somewhat different. With Kira, the reader sees how she builds herself again afte ...more
Derek Oberg
I love the post-series Deep Space 9 books. I always wondered what happened to Iliana Ghemor (the Cardassian operative who was surgically altered to look like Major Kira). The previous book revealed that she was the big villain behind the current story line, but this is the first time that you actually get to spend time with her and see what happened to her after the end of the Occupation. Looks like it's off to the Mirror Universe for the resolution. Those stories are always hit-or-miss. We'll s ...more
Angela
Two seperate stories. One in the immediate aftermath of the attack on Kira, where Sisko gets a strange message from the prophets. The second in the mirror universe, following a young cardassians life. This feels short, and though there's a lot of nice character stuff, they feel more like short stories. This is not for the squemish, as something really bad happens to a cardassian agent, and I mean really bad. A good read.
Tim
Aug 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ruining nothing in this book, I suggest that you read "part two" (the orange side) first and "part one" second. That will give you a chronological story that makes more sense...and if you are like me and don't like to see the end before the beginning in movies or books, you'll like this a whole lot more.

Best of the recent DS9 books & with its sequel "Soul Key" looks to be the last new story we will get.
RumBelle
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This book is a continuation of Deep Space Nine's story and picks up directly after Warpath. This book is also split in two and you get the story from two different characters perspectives. (You even have to flip the book upside down to read part 2) I love where this series went in terms of novels. This story in particular about Kira, shadows from her past and the Mirror Universe and how the Emissary fits it make it unique.
Llinos
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
I found this quite disturbing and upsetting to read, gratuitously so. I disliked what they did with the Ghemor character from start to finish and I found the machinations of the main antagonist in side two implausibly foresighted... not to mention creepy as hell and not in the fun-to-read way. Although it doesn't help that I find the entire storyline this book is part of kind of stupid... much preferred the earlier books in the Relaunch.
Jack
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I groaned at hearing that the post-series storyline ended up folding in the mirror universe and the seemingly perfunctory character of Illiana Ghemor, but I'm shocked to say that it works. Granted, the mirror universe doesn't play a huge part in this installment, focusing more on the backstory of Ghemor and why she's doing what she's doing, but the books are harnessing its thematic potential more than the show itself ever did.
David A
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part of the DS9 Relaunch, this book continues an ongoing story that follows the Relaunch "Season 8" (Avatar to Unity), involving the Mirror Universe and Kira's Cardassian double, Iliana Ghemor. Interesting, could be better, but a necessary read to get to the next book in the series. Recommended to DS9 fans and readers of the Relaunch.
Robin
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The alternate universes plot lines have never been my favourite in the Star Trek world and I was a tad dismayed to find out this was one of them. It perked up in Part Two but like most of the DS9 novels of late leaves you with a to be continued which is a tad irritating. Basically it fulfils my desire to see more of the characters that I was addicted to on t.v.
Daryl
May 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has two stories, one about Kira Nerys which tied into other mirror universe stories. I enjoyed it. The second story focuses on Ilana Ghemor. She was the cardassian that Kira was once convinced she was. This story is good and to be continued, i must find out what happened to that poor woman.
Fayd Eaton
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ghemor/Kira story with part related to the "mirror" plots. The book contains two stories seen from Kira and Ghemor point of view. Interesting but the book is just the first part of of the story. It's necessary to have the next one
Jeremy
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously a continuation of the previous couple of DS9 novels this book gives a bit more backstory of an episode briefly explored during DS9’s run. Fast paced and a bit heart wrenching this is leading to a fantastic conclusion of DS9’s “season 8”
Sebastian Hagedorn
So so. I enjoyed the second part more than the first one, but ultimately it wasn't as good as I had hoped. The actual story seems to be stalling. I wonder how this will continue. The frequency of books has been very low recently.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
Very good, in keeping with the trend of the DS9 relaunch novels. I had two minor disappointments, though, in that most of the new characters had hardly any role to play and I just didn't care about Ghemor's past that much. I eagerly await the next installment.
Gwen
Jan 23, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek nerds like me!
Shelves: sci-fi, startrek
This book is a pulp fiction book, but the thing that I ejoyed about it was the format. You read the first story about one character and then flip it over and read a completely separate story about another character. It reminded me of those choose your own adventure books I read as a kid.
Melissa
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this so long ago, I can't even remember!
Andrew Price
First half is a continuation of Warpath. Second half help forced, but some of it was interesting. Mostly just a set up for the next book.
Horst Gutmann
You can read my rather lengthy review on http://zerokspot.com/weblog/2008/07/1...
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Rising Son (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • The Never Ending Sacrifice (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Infinity's Prism (Star Trek: Myriad Universes, #1)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)

Star Trek: Mirror Universe (Relaunch Continuity) (8 books)
  • Glass Empires (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #1)
  • Shards and Shadows (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #3)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Soul Key (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Obsidian Alliances (Star Trek: Mirror Universe, #2)
  • The Sorrows of Empire (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
  • Rise Like Lions (Star Trek: Mirror Universe)
“being on Deep Space 9 often felt like the surreal consequences of a night spent drinking far too much copal.” 0 likes