Start by marking “The Painter's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Painter's Daughter

The Painter's Daughter

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  5,970 ratings  ·  790 reviews
Sophie Dupont, daughter of a portrait painter, assists her father in his studio, keeping her own artwork out of sight. She often walks the cliffside path along the north Devon coast, popular with artists and poets. It's where she met the handsome Wesley Overtree, the first man to tell her she's beautiful.

Captain Stephen Overtree is accustomed to taking on his brother's neg
Published December 1st 2015 by Bethany House Publishers (first published November 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Painter's Daughter, please sign up.
Ashley Nikole That depends on your definition of clean, I suppose.
There are no sex scenes or foreplay or crazy passionate kissing scenes or anything like that.
…more
That depends on your definition of clean, I suppose.
There are mentions of pregnancy out of wedlock, clearly. When Stephen and Sophie are married, they fall in love--ya know, as we assume they will. So there's all the "falling in love" stuff you'd expect there.
They do have sex once that the readers are told of, but it's a lead-up to, when they decide that they will consummate their marriage and if they're both okay with that. They kiss, and then that's it--we don't see any more than that.

It is a maturely themed book considering the plot. Some will consider this book a "clean read", while other's might consider it a bit too on the wild side and not clean at all. It is dependent on ones reading convictions, as it were. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Samantha schuttenberg I was wondering if this is a good this is a good book to read and do you recommend others to read this?

really liked it 4.00  ·

Hannah
3 stars: updated rating
When I purchased the hardcover edition, I reread a lot of it for fun. I apparently read through it too fast to notice some content issues the first time... I was so interested in seeing how the plot would end that I didn't see how sensual many of the details were. Unless the hardcover is a different book than the paperback, which I don't think likely!
18+ only
Original review below.

This book was so hard to put down. It's Julie Klassen at her best, with intrigue, da
Lisa Bergren
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've heard Klassen's praises for years and finally dived into this book...and boy, I was glad I did! It was an utterly absorbing novel...lots of family drama, romance and more in a beautiful setting. I'll be looking for more of Julie's books in the future.
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Yowza, that was intense. What a sordid mess indeed! Although this was a very captivating read and I often found myself holding my breath, getting heart flutters, and feeling downright mad at certain characters, I can't say it's a read that all would enjoy. This definitely is NOT a book that will cause you to feel all warm and cozy inside. No, this is a story that deals with the after effects of a women who becomes with child out of wedlock thus leading it to be more sensual than the majority of ...more
Carrie Turansky
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Julie Klassen weaves an enthralling tale of love, loss, and redemption in her newest novel, The Painter's Daughter. The setting in Devonshire comes alive as Julie paints the setting so clearly. Each character is unique and adds dimension to the story. The contrast in the two brothers was very well done. Overall a very enjoyable story that I highly recommend!
Staci
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
A delightful Regency era novel from Julie Klassen.

Sophie is The Painter's Daughter and she finds herself in a precarious situation. Although she doesn't know or love Stephen, he offers a solution for her. Sophie was both fallible and likable. Stephen was pure Prince Charming.

Secondary characters added to the novel. I especially enjoyed Stephen's grandfather and his sister Kate. The history backdrop of Napoleon was an added plus.

There were layers of pain that were dealt with in the novel. My favo
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
My New Favorite from Julie Klassen!

In her latest Inspirational Regency romance, Julie Klassen brings readers to Devonshire, England in the year 1815 where we find an artist’s daughter, Sophie Dupont, who fell in love with a visiting artist but now finds herself abandoned and in a bit of a delicate predicament. Like Marianne Dashwood, Sophie believed herself loved, and though the words were “never absolutely” spoken, she expected that her lover would declare himself and marry her. Sadly for Sophi
Anne
Feb 02, 2015 marked it as to-read-next
Shelves: to-buy
She has ANOTHER book coming out so soon?? How am I supposed to keep up!?!

At the same time though, this is REALLY exciting!!
Melanie
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read

While The Painter's Daughter is not my favorite of Julie KLassen's novels, it was still a really good story and I loved reading it. The story was interesting from the beginning pages and, except for a tiny portion of the book in which I thought the story was dragging, I enjoyed it throughout.

I loved how protective Stephen was and watching the romance bloom between Sophie and him was so sweet. There were definitely a few difficult moments in the book and some surprising reveals - which
Irene Sim
"I know this is difficult for you. But please believe me when I tell you that I like what I see when I look at you. Your scar is much bigger in your eyes than in mine or propably in anyone else's. It's a small part of a big man."

I love "Regency ERA" especially from an author who is skilled in narrating it in the musical cadences of the past. In spite of the length of the novel I surprisingly found myself lost in the story and not at all bored from the slow pace of the plot.

Also I often avoid t
Courtney
Mar 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Wow, I mean honestly, wow. Where to even begin with this novel; extraordinary, excellent, and breath taking all come to mind. I stay up until 3:48 in the morning this morning just to finish this novel, I absolutely could not put it down for anything. I will say that this novel begin a little slow, for maybe two chapters; however, then you are pulled in and you cannot break free for anything. Now there are some major plot twists that leave you on the edge of your seat, and I will not lie I read a ...more
Sophia
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read my first book by this author just last year and definitely wanted to read more so I was pleased to snag this one. While this book had different elements and went a different direction, I found it easy to engage with the story. I liked how the book began with a young woman's mistake and followed along as events took their course to her again faced with a choice and seeing how she faced it this time.

The story begins with Sophie Dupont, daughter to a successful portrait painter, caught in a
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
I enjoy marriage of convenience stories in particular, and this one had the added twist of Sophie being in love with her new husband's brother. While I felt compassion for Sophie and her difficult circumstances, I didn't admire her weakness for Wesley and the choices she initially made. She reveals herself as a strong character however as she makes the best of her situation and works to become loyal to Stephen. He was definitely my favorite character in the story, a Mr. Darcy type that has vulne ...more
Jamie
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Remember that one time I was supposed to be reading other books, but then Julie Klassen’s The Painter’s Daughter kept STARING at me, pleading with me to read it at that very moment? So I did what any good book blogger would do, stopped reading what I was supposed at started this one instead.

And it turned out to be a rather wise decision if I do say so myself!

One thing you’re guaranteed with Julie’s novels is that you’ll be hooked once you start page one. There’s a reason she’s become such a stro
Marian Baay
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Julie Klassen is an author whose work I always like to read – not that I love all her books, but it’s certainly worth exploring her newest writing to discover if it will be one of my favorites or not. The Painter’s Daughter certainly is!

Soon I fell in love with Captain Stephen Overtree and Miss Sophie Dupont, especially with Stephen’s good and gentle heart; willing to save unmarried and pregnant Sophie by marrying her and giving her and the child she carries a name—the child that his brother fat
Tina at Mommynificent
While I really enjoy Julie Klassen's writing, I find myself getting a little tired of her plots. They are starting to run together as so many of them are about a girl who gets pregnant out of wedlock and all the ensuing drama she must suffer before getting a relatively happy ending. This one fits the bill perfectly, and the added drama of the rivalling suitors being brothers was (almost) too much.

While I don't regret reading it, I honestly can't really recommend this book unless you're a huge Kl
Karen R
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous read by Julie Klassen!
Lost a lot of sleep after starting this book, it literally sucked me in and didn't let go until the end. Stephen is such a wonderful hero character, so misunderstood, yet counted on to keep rescuing his brother. Couldn't help but fall a little in love with him along the way. The bit of the Napoleonic war mixed in was interesting too.
Recommend for historical fiction fans!
Jocelyn Green
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I knew the research would be spot-on, and it was, but the storytelling and characters were excellent, too. It took me a while to get into it ONLY because I was listening to the audible edition, and I couldn't get over the male narrator doing the heroine's voice. But once I got used to that, I devoured the story. Can't wait to read more by Julie Klassen.
Paula Vince
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this novel, but wasn't sure I wanted to read it based on the blurb. The plot sounded fairly predictable, and I'm not crazy about love triangles which involve a girl and two brothers. But since Julie Klassen has written some of my favourite novels, I went for it anyway, and I'm glad I did. She brings the Regency Era to life, and I kept thinking about the Overtree family long after I finished.

For other fans of hers, at first the two main men seem like a repeat performance of the brothers
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
With each new Julie Klassen book, my favorites list tends to get reshuffled. The Tutor’s Daughter is still firmly at the top of the pile but she has been given some healthy competition of late. Namely, The Secret of Pembrooke Park and Lady, Maybe… and now The Painter’s Daughter.

The Painter’s Daughter does not contain as much suspense (at least not the mysterious kind) as her last several books, but it is full of breathless romantic and situational tensions. My stars. There were moments I caught
Brittany
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Painter’s Daughter had my complete and total attention from the very first chapter. It was a story that captured me and did not let go until the very end. And even now I am still thinking about the characters and situations that arose in this book days later. I know it will be a novel that I will reread in the future.

Sophie Dupont and Captain Stephen Overtree were such likable characters. I appreciated the way Sophie realized and owned her error in judgment. She was a caring, young lady who
Jerry
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one was very enjoyable; worth all the time it took me to finish it.
Sarah Swann
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Such a heart warming story with a surprising amount of drama thrown in. Who knew the 1800s could be so scandalous??? I really enjoyed this story. I was never bored and the characters were incredibly complex. Throw in some Jesus and I’m a happy reader. Will definitely check out more from Julie Klassen!
Emily
I absolutely loved this book.
Dawn Teresa
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers of Brontë, Austen, Hardy, Jane Eyre, Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice,
Shelves: netgalley, for-review
Originally published on my blog ReadLove .

What lies between the pages of The Painter’s Daughter is even more stunning than the artist gracing its cover. No doubt about it: Julie Klassen is a master, and The Painter’s Daughter, a masterpiece.

When it comes to inspirational historical fiction, Klassen is in a league all her own. By the end of the first chapter, she has established a mood and setting, introduced major characters, and revealed the conflict that will propel the plot. She’s done this
Marlene
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Painter's Daughter (published by Bethany House in 2015) is a Christian Regency romance by Julie Klassen. Set in Devonshire, England in 1815, I enjoyed this book very much.

Sophia Dupont, or Sophie, is the daughter of the well-renowned artist Claude Dupont and assists him in his studio. Wesley Overtree, a young artist, came about a year ago to study under Sophie's father. He was very drawn to Sophie and ended up painting her multiple times . . and doing other things with her. Sophie and Wes
Dawn
Captain Stephen Overtree is used to cleaning up his brother's messes. When he arrives in the Devonshire village where his brother had said he'd be painting, he finds his brother disappeared and the painter's daughter, Sophie Dupont, left pregnant and alone. To rescue the young lady and keep a scandal from smearing her reputation, Stephen proposes a marriage in name only. Her child will have a name and should he be killed, Sophie would be a respectable widow. Sophie agrees knowing that it is the ...more
Anne Osterlund
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stephen first sees her on the edge of a cliff, endangering her life to capture a crumpled piece of paper. At least this is what he believes.

But it turns out Sophie is trying to throw away the note--a message that reveals she has just been abandoned by a man who ill-used her. And who also happens to be Stephen's brother.

Also turns out Stephen has seen Sophie before, for hers is the face in the painting he has carried with him for over a year. He cannot leave her behind, with his brother's unborn
Julie Carpenter

This is one of my favorite of Julie Klassen's books so far. I have read all but 2 or 3 of them I believe and I did really enjoy this one. If you have read her books then you know that she doesn't write about the perfect respectable character. She writes about characters who have made choices that leave them as outcasts in society, or characters who try to hide that they are outcasts. With characters found in those certain situations, Klassen shows the reader that there is redemption, th
Seema Khan
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
*** May Contain Spoilers***

The Painter's Daughter is my first ever Julie Klassen book. I had wanted to read her for so long, and finally did have a copy and started on with that feeling of relished anticipation of reading a generally much loved author for the first time. And I should emphatically venture that it was positively worth it!

I won't repeat what the blurb definitely speaks about the story, because you already know that. So I will stick to my views of the book since there is so much mor
Debbie Brown
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-jaff, jaff
This is a very beautiful, very Jane Austen-esque story of a demure lady, Sophie Dupont, and her life-changing experiences with two brothers. Her father has been giving painting lessons to Wesley Overtree, a talented artist who is also heir to his father’s estate. Fair-haired, charming Wesley has wooed and seduced Sophie and, as the story begins, he has just unexpectedly left to go to Italy with an irresistible opportunity to study and paint. His younger brother, Captain Stephen Overtree, on a 2- ...more

• Like a Flower in Bloom
  • The Mistress of Tall Acre
  • An Elegant Façade (Hawthorne House, #2)
  • Dawn at Emberwilde (Treasures of Surrey, #2)
  • Prelude for a Lord (The Gentlemen Quartet, #1)
  • Bride of a Distant Isle (Daughters of Hampshire, #2)
  • The Captivating Lady Charlotte (Regency Brides: A Legacy of Grace, #2)
  • A Lady Unrivaled (Ladies of the Manor, #3)
  • The Wood's Edge (The Pathfinders, #1)
  • Born of Persuasion (Price of Privilege, #1)
  • Summer of Dreams (From This Moment, #0.5)
  • A Noble Groom (Michigan Brides, #2)
Julie Klassen loves all things Jane—Jane Eyre and Jane Austen. A graduate of the University of Illinois, Julie worked in publishing for sixteen years and now writes full time. Three of her books, The Silent Governess, The Girl in the Gatehouse, and The Maid of Fairbourne Hall, have won the Christy Award for Historical Romance. She has also won the Midwest Book Award, the Minnesota Book Award, and ...more
“This is real life, Master Stephen. Happily ever after takes effort.” 6 likes