Start by marking “Crux (Nexus, #2)” as Want to Read:
Crux (Nexus, #2)

Crux

(Nexus #2)

The stunning sequel to NEXUS

Six months have passed since the release of Nexus 5. The world is a different, more dangerous place.

In the United States, the terrorists - or freedom fighters - of the Post-Human Liberation Front use Nexus to turn men and women into human time bombs aimed at the President and his allies. In Washington DC, a government scientist, secretly
Published February 15th 2015 (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Crux, please sign up.
Carlos No, it follows on with no gap, as a continuation of the Nexus story, it's not a stand alone book.

Start your review of Crux (Nexus, #2)
Miles
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am slightly ashamed of how much I enjoy Ramez Naam's techno-thrillers. His writing is undoubtedly the clunkiest of any scifi writer I have come across, which is saying a lot given that the genre is beset with good thinkers who often have trouble generating artful prose. As with Nexus, the first in the series, almost every page of Crux is populated with clichés and mind-numbingly simple sentences. It's like reading something written by a 9th grader who happens to be a technology whiz. The ...more
Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd a.k.a Mario
ENGLISH

An extrapolation of the possible development of biotechnologies and medicine.

Naam describes both the social and individual consequences of new key technology.
Economics and organized crime will be the fasted early adopters.
Fewer philosophical considerations than in the first part, but more action.
The consequences of these and similar drugs and technologies will have an impact on human coexistence. In combination with permanently invasive body enhancements, heaven and hell can be realized.
TS Chan
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
Crux was a satisfying, roller-coaster ride of a sequel that was intense. Even though there were a bit less action scenes and the plot development a little slower, it was no less engaging than its predecessor.

From the conclusion of the previous book, Nexus went viral.
Nexus's ability to satisfy widespread human desires, combined with its innocuous perception, suggests that were the technology to ever enter the mainstream, the genie would prove very difficult to put back into the bottle.

As
emily
Review courtesy of Plenty of Pages.

I seem to be one of the few people (according to Goodreads, at least) who didn't give this book an overwhelming 5 stars. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy the book-- I did. But the niggling dissatisfaction I felt with Nexus was still present in Crux. There was just something off about it-- objectively I could see that it was a good story and pretty well written, but I never really felt it. There were only a few scenes where I found myself actually caring about
Rob
Executive Summary: Another great entry in this series. Can't wait for Apex!

Audio book: I'm was bummed that Luke Daniels didn't read this one. But that's not meant as a slight against Mikael Naramore. What it really means is that Mr. Naramore had extra work to do in order for me to be happy. I'm pleased to report he does a good job. Fairly early on, I was over the fact of the narrator change.

In fact if he had been the narrator for the first book, I'd have no reason to complain. It's my first
L.A. Starks
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal second book of Naam's sci-fi trilogy.

What makes this trilogy so readable is its underlying theme of humans' deep communication needs. I especially commend Naam for writing an antagonist who is just a hair/policy decision away from his protagonist. Stellar.

Could do without the Houston & Texas bashing and caricatures that seem so prevalent in commercial fiction.

Otherwise, great action, characters, pacing, and suspense. Well worth readers' time--for those who like thrillers and
Carmen
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
This is the second in a trilogy.

A brilliant, amazing book. I was torn between not wanting to put it down, and being unable to continue reading because I was so anxious about what the characters were going to do and what was going to happen to them.

This insane cocktail of emotions made for a nerve-wracking reading experience.

I can't describe the book at all without giving away so many spoilers, but I will just say if you read my review of Nexus:

...and have
RJ
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Continuing the Nexus storyline from the first book in the series, Naam weaves old and new characters together as he continues to explore the positive and negative ramifications of ingestible nanotech. Like the first book, the near-future technothriller plot is designed for maximum fun and readability while also giving the reader some hefty moral and ethical dilemmas to ponder. The ending is typical for the middle book in a trilogy, sacrificing a satisfying conclusion in order to set the stage ...more
Lee
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I have to say that after the amazing ride of book one, I did feel this one sagged quite a bit. I really think we went away from technology and advancement and spent way to much time of personal stories. at one stage it just felt like a big long chase scene that really felt like it was a mode to get to the end story.

A few days after reading it, I am trying to explain to a friend all about the story and to be honest, everything I am spouting is in book 1. There isn't much that I think advanced
Alaina
Another book that took me forever to finish - but I fully blame work and other audios.

Crux was a really interesting book. It's the second installment of the Nexus series. I kind of wish it had either more or the same amount of action like the first book did - however, it didn't. Which means I did find myself being bored a little here and there.

The Nexus world is so freaking interesting and entertaining. I love getting to know more about the pros and cons of it all. I also really hope that this
Paul
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2014
Nexus 5, a drug that enables humans to enhance their brains and become networked with other users has been out there for six months now. As the numbers of users increases the USA sees this as its greatest threat, especially as the Post Human Liberation Front is taking over the minds of users ands sending them on assignation attempts to kill the president

As people start to use the drug for good and bad, Kade, the architect of Nexus, starts to avenge those that have enslaved others through the
Ric
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though the story arc is that of a direct sequel to the first book, Nexus, this has a different vibe. Author Ramez Naam drops the geeky cast and expands the roster of characters considerably, also increasing the number of threads, to tell a tale much larger in scope with more profound pretensions about the future. Whereas book 1 was simply about a wonder nanodrug cum neuro-interface cum software called nexus, Crux extrapolates the effects of nexus into an emerging conflict between humans and ...more
Jason
Dec 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2015
4.5 Stars

Crux, book two in the Nexus series by Ramez Naam takes everything from the fantastic first book and elevates it to another level. This science fiction thriller series works because of the characters. It is awesome because of the cool cyberpunk setting and themes.

The Nexus series is simply a fantastic piece of near future science fiction. This is a new cyberpunk classic. The story is fast paced and filled with action and cyber geek wonder. There is plenty of action to keep things moving
Bradley
I took this one at a leisurely pace because the children deserved it. All of the children, the post human, the autistic, and the abandoned needed a little bit of love to see them through this dystopian near-future. The call was just as strong for me as it was for Sam.

I haven't lost any of my deep desire to be a part of the emerging consciousness of Nexus, despite the abuses or the moral quandaries. Indeed, I love its promise as much as Kade.

I suppose this means the novel did its job, whether or
Desinka
Jan 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. Crux was as fast paced and eventful as Nexus. The good impression that Nexus made on me was a bit spoiled but the multitude of POVs, which wouldn't have been a bad thing if the POV characters were more likable. There were too many flawed humans and too much depressing happenings for my taste. Otherwise the ending managed to tie all the story lines neatly, while still leaving enough for the next book.

I'll definitely be reading book #3.

I listened to this and I thought the audio
Robyn
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Another page-turning instalment in the Nexus trilogy. Naam does a great job of wrapping up books so you don't feel cheated while also ending with plenty of forward momentum for the next one.
Anthony Vicino
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Poor editing.
Nickolas
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REVIEW SUMMARY: Frighteningly plausible cyberpunk.

MY RATING: 5 stars

BRIEF SYNOPSIS: Following the events of the first book, Kaden Lane is on the run with bounty hunters in hot pursuit. Sam, having gone rogue, has finally found inner peace in the presence of special children born with Nexus connection. The Post-Human Liberation Front has found a way to weaponize Nexus in a frightening way and the United States government is taking drastic steps to fight such emerging risks.

MY REVIEW
PROS: Expands
Melanie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
This is the 2nd book of the Nexus series. It took me awhile to read it, partly because of my awful work schedule and partly because this book isn’t as action-packed or surprising as its predecessor. It is still an exceptional (and frighteningly possible) world that has been crafted. I fully intend to finish the series.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
I have a slight obsession with post-humans. Novels and short stories about this topic have rapidly become one of my favorite sub-genres of science fiction. I previously read and enjoyed Nexus by Ramez Naam, and the author continues that story after the Nexus 5 drug is released worldwide. This book focuses more on the implications of a drug like nexus, that allows for brain expansion but also manipulation of others, depending on how it is used.

The author is a scientist first, and he bases these
YouKneeK
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the trilogy that started with Nexus. I won’t talk about the plot, because doing so would spoil the story from the first book. I’ll just say that the story picks up about three months after the end of the first book and progresses more or less along the lines you might expect.

I think I enjoyed this as much as, if not slightly more than, the first book. It felt more consistently fast-paced. One thing that helped is that, while there’s still quite a bit of moral
Hank
Apr 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-cleanup
Reading Crux was like looking at a stained glass window slowly moving away from you. At first there were all these pretty colors and shapes, simple, interesting yet fractured and confusing. As the window moves away, some of the shapes start forming patterns and your brain takes note. Once the window is a sufficient distance away the whole beautiful pattern emerges.

Ok the reading experience was sort of like that. It is tough to call this book beautiful but it was suspenseful and exciting. The
Dara
Crux picks up 6 months after the events of Nexus. Ramez Naam doesn't miss a beat. Events are explosive from the word go.

Naam does a great job of making each character feel like a real person. Characters make good choices and bad choices, they all have good and bad intentions but each character is a hero in their own eyes. Naam invokes George R.R. Martin in that he makes you sympathize for each character.

I love the setting. Crux takes place mainly in Southeast Asia. We hop from Saigon to Phuket
Kdawg91
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often you read a piece of fiction or find a author whose fictional reality is so incredible that you wish it would be true. Mr. Naam not only writes top notch thrillers that crackle with energy, like another sci fi writer, William Gibson, the thrilling thing about Mr. Naam's work is that more likely than not, it won't be fiction for very long.

This is a exciting time we live in, the world of Nexus and Crux (yes, read them both) will come to pass, so do yourself a favor. go read them.

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read the review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2013/08/...

And the prince married the princess and they lived happily ever after. Or the hero enters cryogenic suspension after killing the alien and destroying the ship.

What happened after Cinderella married the prince? Her evil step mother and step sisters were still around to plan; others who felt they could have secured a profitable alliance remain; Cinderella has no knowledge of how to operate in that realm. But all these
Neil Hepworth
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The internet is already filled with many many accurate reviews of this book, so I’ll just quickly add my own two cents:

I loved the action scenes because they are numerous, well paced and visceral.

I loved reading about the plot, its fun twists and turns, though, upon further reflection, it was nothing mind-blowing, and sometimes Naam telegraphs plots twists something fierce.

Speaking of the plot, Crux pulls on every action movie cliche imaginable.

I loved the use and growth of Nexus 5, and I want
Rose
Jul 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
As middle-of-a-trilogy books go, this one was amazing. It follows several story lines - some of which come together at the end. It was exciting, intelligent, fun, full of action and left me craving the next book (which I already have, YAY).

I seriously have a hard time reviewing the middle book. You won't understand a thing unless I describe what happened through the first. The basics are that a new drug is making it's way around the globe. This drug interfaces with your brain and allows you to
Mal Warwick
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Crux (Nexus Trilogy #2) by Namez Raam

@@@@@ (5 out of 5)

There are a lot of moving parts to this novel. We enter the thoughts of ten principal characters, by my count. The action unfolds in tiny chapters, switching from one character to another; few of these chapters are more than a handful of pages long.The print edition runs to more than 600 pages, and not a single one is dull.

A science-based sci-fi novel
Yet what is most exciting of all about this novel is the science on which it is based. As
Sky
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Crux was as great as the first novel, Nexus, and I eagerly await the release of the final book in the trilogy, Apex. Crux doesn't introduce many new ideas beyond some environmentalism, and this is generally a good thing, as in many cases of near-term sci-fi the first book is great and believable, and the sequels start to get way too fantastic. I really enjoy the afterward at the end of each book where Naam goes into the current state of the art in the science discussed in the book, and theorizes ...more
Edwin Priest
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Naam continues his Nexus Arc techno-thriller trilogy with this middle book, Crux. The Nexus 5 nano drug is now out. Humans are able to link and pool their minds, for meditation, music, scientific pursuits and more; breakthroughs are now being seen in autism and other medical disorders; and babies are starting to be born with the Nexus virus, creating the next generation of humans.

And again, as in the first book Nexus, we watch the scientific communities, political groups, government agencies,
2015 Reading Chal...: Crux by Ramez Naam 1 11 Jun 22, 2015 04:18PM
The Not a Book Cl...: Crux Chapters 41-60 9 13 May 20, 2015 06:19AM
The Not a Book Cl...: Crux Chapters 1-20 24 19 May 18, 2015 03:59PM
The Not a Book Cl...: Crux Chapters 61-end *spoilerific* 2 10 Apr 27, 2015 03:53PM
The Not a Book Cl...: Crux Chapters 21-40 8 14 Apr 26, 2015 02:55PM
Free Book Giveaway: Win Crux, a Near-Future Techno-Thriller by Ramez Naam 1 5 Sep 19, 2013 08:42AM

• Freedom™ (Daemon, #2)
  • A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity #2)
  • Avogadro Corp (Singularity #1)
  • The Turing Exception (Singularity #4)
  • Daemon (Daemon, #1)
  • Kill Decision
  • The Last Firewall (Singularity #3)
  • Delta-V
  • Influx
  • Fall, or Dodge in Hell
  • Children of Ruin (Children of Time #2)
  • Rule 34 (Halting State, #2)
  • The Deaths of Tao (Tao, #2)
  • Change Agent
  • Kill Process
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • WWW: Watch (WWW, #2)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
Ramez Naam was born in Cairo, Egypt, and came to the US at the age of 3. He's a computer scientist who spent 13 years at Microsoft, leading teams working on email, web browsing, search, and artificial intelligence. He holds almost 20 patents in those areas.

Ramez is the winner of the 2005 H.G. Wells Award for his non-fiction book More Than Human: Embracing the Promise of Biological Enhancement.

Nexus (3 books)
  • Nexus (Nexus, #1)
  • Apex (Nexus, #3)
“The world has a very serious problem, my friend' Shiva went on. 'Poor children still die by their millions. Westerners and the global rich -- like me -- live in post-scarcity society, while a billion people struggle to get enough to eat. And we're pushing the planet towards a tipping point, where the corals die and the forests burn and life becomes much, much harder. We have the resources to solve those problems, even now, but politics and economics and nationalism all get in the way. If we could access all those minds, though...” 15 likes
“Do you think that a billion people knowing your face makes you special?
It doesn't.”