Start by marking “Chopin in Paris: The Life and Times of the Romantic Composer” as Want to Read:
Chopin in Paris: The Life and Times of the Romantic Composer

Chopin in Paris: The Life and Times of the Romantic Composer

Chopin in Paris introduces the most important musical and literary figures of Fryderyk Chopin's day in a glittering story of the Romantic era. During Chopin's eighteen years in Paris, lasting nearly half his short life, he shone at the center of the immensely talented artists who were defining their time -- Hugo, Balzac, Stendhal, Delacroix, Liszt, Berlioz, and, of course, ...more
Published December 31st 1999 by Da Capo Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Chopin in Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chopin in Paris

Start your review of Chopin in Paris: The Life and Times of the Romantic Composer
'Aussie Rick'
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-music-poetry
Prior to reading this book I had no knowledge of this great composer or his music. If it were not for the previous good reviews of this book I would not have bothered buying a copy. I am so glad that I did, I just fell in love with this story, it was a captivating account! During the time I read this book I purchased about five CD's of Chopin's music. This is more a book of the man and his time in Paris than an in-depth account of his music, his style and his compositions. Regardless of that, ...more
John Blumenthal
Aug 06, 2014 rated it liked it
To me, a great biography brings the subject to life, a rarity in the genre and no simple task. Doris Kearns Goodwin succeeded in doing so with Lincoln in "Team of Rivals;" David McCullough made John Adams come alive in his famous bio of the 2nd President. I cannot say the same for Tad Szulc's bio of Chopin. The reader mainly learns that Chopin was sickly and moody but could be charming (which I already knew.). Szulc basically tells the entire story by quoting letters, many of them mundane. Do I ...more
Barbara
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves Chopin or wants to learn more about him
Really enjoyed this. It wasn't just a biography of Chopin--it was an account of his times and the people he knew. Now I want to read some of George Sand's work and finally finish Un hiver a Majorque which I started years ago.
Fred Misurella
Aug 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like Chopin and Paris, especially its history and then artists who have made it a cultural capitol, then this is a book for you. It's very well-researched by Szulc, a former NY Times reporter born in Poland and obviously familiar with Polish and French, as well as musical theory. He's written a wonderful history of Paris in the first half of the 19th century and an account of the personal, political, and aesthetic lives of Chopin, George Sand, who lived with Chopin for ten years, and the ...more
Gloria D. Moser
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
So incredibly dry and difficult to finish. I was hoping this would bring Chopin alive, but it only made him seem... Dead.
Rachel Pollock
Jun 21, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting read, but peppered throughout with conjecture presented as fact and unfortunate elements of the author's discomfort with anything resembling queerness.
David Zimny
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Chopin's life was not as fascinating as Liszt's, and not as sordid as Tchaikovsky's. A shy man who played piano in front of a public audience only a handful of times in his life. No wife, no children, and died at the age of 39. An interesting read if you like his music. The focus is only on his adult life in Paris; so if you are interested in his childhood in Poland this is not the book for you.
Jessica Just
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
You will fall in love with Chopin reading this book! It was a little slow going for me at first with lots of names and information. But his personality starts to shine through more with the appearance of George Sand. I enjoyed his subtle sense of humor. Unknowingly I started reading this on the day after the date of his death, which was Oct 17.
Alexis C
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Features a detailed biography of Fryderyk Chopin's life. It includes everything about Frycek, from birth to death. Shows the whole life of this amazing composer - it almost feels like you are living with him!
Erick
Aug 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: music
Very interesting, however, the author didn't seem to
capture the personality of a composer who wrote such sensitive music.
Nanette Tredoux
Feb 06, 2016 rated it liked it
A very meticulous account of Chopin's life and his relationships with his contemporaries. Told in the third person with digressions consisting of quotes from letters between Chopin and his family, friends and acquaintances, it doesn't really read like a story. The narrative follows a fairly strict chronological order. There is some interpretation but not much profound insight. The detail is rich and faithfully conveyed, but the style of the book is dry and fairly uninspiring. This is a great ...more
Katherine
May 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
"A wonderful account of Chopin's life, and mostly of his life in Paris, where he seems to have met all the great artists of his time, and of his love affair with the complex and tumultuous George Sand. Richly detailed and lovingly written, it brings back to life not only the great composer but a whole society that has lost none of its power to fascinate."
Denis
Nov 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Andrew Scott
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant way to look at Chopin the man and his music. Szulc focuses on Chopin's surroundings and influential friendships as well as his personal life and the life of Parisians at the time Chopin lived there so we the reader garner a much better understanding of this musical genius.
Mark
Apr 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved it.
Kyra Lee
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I developed a huge crush to Chopin when I was 14. I cut out his photo in the book and hid it inside my diary.
Cjteel
Mar 29, 2009
Wanda
Dec 19, 2013
Robert H. Hamilton
rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2017
Feb 03, 2008
Rakhi Durand
Mar 23, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Am Malala: How One Girl Stood Up for Education and Changed the World (Young Readers Edition)