Start by marking “Book Architecture” as Want to Read:
Book Architecture

Book Architecture

In Book Architecture: How to Plot and Outline Without Using a Formula, Stuart Horwitz returns with his trademark clarity to help writers craft a powerful plot and an effective outline for their works-in-progress. Whether your manuscript is an advanced draft or you are just starting out, whether you are working in fiction, film and TV, or creative nonfiction, you will learn ...more
Published May 5th 2015 by Book Architecture (first published May 4th 2015)

Start your review of Book Architecture
Amanda
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Yes, this is a great follow-up to "Blueprint Your Bestseller." I've found both books so helpful. I'm the kind of writer who runs from the room when someone's peddling "the formula" for great storytelling. I love that my material comes to me, that I'm following characters as I'm drafting. Horowitz isn't interested in messing with my mo-jo. Rather, he's got a method here, a way of thinking and working through the material once it's roughed out on the page toward clarity and--best of all--depth. Hi ...more
W. Whalin
Aug 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fantastic Insight for Every Novelist

Many people have the wrong impression about writing fiction. These authors believe that storytelling is simple and anyone can do it successfully. From my many years in publishing and even longer as a reader,I will tell you simply--they are wrong. The good news is every writer can learn how to write an excellent novel.

If you are a novelist, you need BOOK ARCHITECTURE by Stuart Horwitz. He has studied the structure of classic novels and teaches it in this well-w
Cecilie Östby
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Den ger en ögonöppnare när det handlar om varför/varför inte man känner sig tillfredsställd när man läser en berättelse. Inte någon ny ”modell” utan snarare att dekonstruera texter i dess beståndsdelar och en möjlighet att vara mer medveten i sitt eget bygge av en berättelse.
Maya P. Haberland
I read this book in 3 days. I found the exercises and tips quite compelling, and already they are helping me to find new connections. Thank you, Mr. Horwitz!

Also, I'm getting your two other books. :)
Dustin Morley
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't review books on here too often, but I feel compelled to review this one.

This book is a follow-up to Blueprint Your Bestseller, however you do not need to read the previous book to appreciate this one. The book is for writers of fiction primarily, but has merit for anyone who wants to write in general or wants to look at their favorite pieces of writing (whether that be fiction, screenplays, etc.) with a different lens.

The book presents a method that can be used by both those writers wh
Kira Gold
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-writing
Really interesting read.
He takes repeating themes (or a *series* as he calls it) and uses them as driving plot points, using some great examples, including The Great Gatsby and Harry Potter.
Glad it wasn't the first book on writing that I'd read, or a lot of it would have gone over my head. I definitely learned some things.
Stan Skrabut
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: writing
For the longest time, I have been thinking about writing fiction, but I couldn't find a strategy that I liked. Over the past month, I not only read Stuart Horwitz's book called Book Architecture: How to Plot and Outline Without Using a Formula but I also picked up his other two books. I think I found a strategy that I can use to both improve my nonfiction writing and expand into fictional writing. Because of Book Architecture , I am seeing the world of literature and film in an entirely d ...more
Mark
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
This approach isn't novel, as he shows examples of it from generations ago, but he presented it in a very concise manner. He says it renders formal structure unnecessary, but I think he simply renames it the Central Series. (I know he would argue with me on this point, but I still see it as a central structure from which all the other subplots and symbolism hangs.)

I have known of this approach of several series within a story (though I didn't apply that name to it), but I have never employed it
Naiá Lusvarghi
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Uma coisa legal do livro é a ideia de criar uma tabela com todas as “séries” (enredos) que, creio eu, é a ideia central do livro.
Contudo, várias coisas me incomodaram nele. A principal foi é que ele não ensina a construir a tabela antes de escrever, mas sim depois que já existe uma estória pronta. Ele dá dois exemplos bastante elaborados das tabelas, feitas por outros autores antes de escreverem seus respectivos livros, mas ensina apenas a fazer o detalhamento a partir de obras prontas.
David Carnahan
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding book!

This has completely changed the way I think about books and plotting. Many stories just don’t fit the monomyth but they all have series!
Francesca Strada
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An interesting read. It was particulary useful to see how you can analyze the structure of the books, novels you like and learn from the authors you admire the most.
jude
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating analysis and approach

It makes a lot of sense to me, and I'll try it on my WIP. Horowitz has a very easy and chatty style that makes reading it enjoyable.
Janine Prince
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
As befits a book about planning the content of a book, this is exceptionally well structured, clear to read and supported by excellent illustrations.
Each of the concepts is explained simply and then discussed using an example from popular culture. I found this to be easy to engage with and useful as a bridge to applying the ideas to my own work. It is on the shorter side and could be considered a resource (or even reference) after the first read-through. I say this because while the ideas are ea
Luanne Castle
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you’re writing a novel or a memoir or any full-length book–or planning to write one–you will want to purchase this book ASAP.

You haven’t started your book yet? Unlike his previous book, you don’t have to have written any pages. Dig in and learn how it’s done. He doesn’t provide you with a formula, but a clearcut and easy-to-follow guideline to create the bones of your unique book.

He uses a handful of books and films–one per chapter–to show how others have done it–and you can, too. You don’t h
Scott Moon
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-writing
I have been a fan of Stuart Horwitz since I read Blueprint Your Bestseller. BYB is a book that will change the way you think about writing. It was the first book that provided any meaningful advice on discovering and / or developing the theme of a story. BYB and Book Architecture focus on finding the strongest scenes, building the best narrative order, and uncovering what your story's “one thing” is.

Both books demonstrate techniques for physically taking apart your story and laying it out to see
Marie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Book Architecture is not going to go over the purpose of a scene or how to create good dialogue. It's not going to inspire writing hopefuls to pick up a pen and start their first story. It doesn't even have a diagram of the hero's journey. It simply offers a new technique for writers wrestling with the structure of their book.

Horwitz explores the concept of a recurring element (which he calls a "series") and the various ways it can be used to tighten up a story. While most writers probably have
Kristen
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I recently finished Stuart Horwitz's brilliant follow-up to Blueprint Your Bestseller, and I am in the midst of applying the method to my own novel at the moment. I'm a card-carrying member of the "pantsers" club, (For non-writers, I know this sounds like some kind of junior high school hazing ritual, but it simply means I don't do outlines, at least not as a pre-writing activity) and the method which Horwitz unfolds expertly in this book is perfect for me. That's because it allows me to take my ...more
Charlie
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing-books
I found this one on accident and figured, what could it hurt?

I spent yesterday going through this, and while everyone has an approach to plotting or outlining or mapping their story, this is one that I had heard of a while back without explanation. Now that I have seen the examples in work, and it makes more sense, now I think that this is a technique for my toolbox, as Stephen King calls it.

This definitely is not a perfect system for everyone, but that is the point in the world of writing. The
Elisabeth Kauffman
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: writers
I just finished reading Book Architecture yesterday, and I am excited to incorporate series grids into my personal and professional editing processes. I appreciated the format of the book, how each element was broken down and given a "real life" example. I immediately began noticing series everywhere.

I recommend this book for people who want to break out of the "traditional" plot formula, or who have already and are now wondering how to make sense of their manuscript. Series, and tracking series
Elizabeth Hein
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: authors
Shelves: craft-books
Stuart Horowitz lays out a new way of looking at your works-in-progress. Many writers struggle with planning and outlining their books before they sit down to write while others start writing and get lost in the middle of the story. Book Architecture helps a writer see the larger structure of your novel. Based on the concept of "series," the book helps you see how scenes and characters and images connect to make up a novel. Horowitz uses The Great Gatsby, Catch-22, and Corduroy as examples of ho ...more
Thiago d'Evecque
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Conteúdo refrescante para os livros de escrita. O autor deixa de lado os pontos-chave da trama, explicados em praticamente qualquer outra obra sobre o assunto, e cria um método original de delineação baseado em séries.

As séries devem conter repetições (pelo menos duas) e variedade. Horwitz apresenta três ferramentas para planejarmos as séries do nosso livro — grade, arco e alvo — e demonstra sua utilização em clássicos da literatura, como Ardil-22, Harry Potter e A Metamorfose (nos dois primeiro
David
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Writers with a grounding in Story Structure
Book Architecture is very much like Coyne's The Story Grid, a vice versa, and will appeal to Right Brained writers.

There was very little that was new here and as with many writing svengalis they tended to re-name concepts well known. Why this is reamains unclear, but many will have their suspicions.

Nonetheless, a competent entry in the world of story structure.

Worth a read by those who already have a grounding in story structure.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.
Beth
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book uses some interesting examples to frame a new way of looking at repeating motifs/themes in stories, and how to manipulate them for more impact. I found the concept a little challenging at first, but by the end I think I had a pretty good grasp of the concept and will definitely be trying it on my next book.
Ipuna Black
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The book was easy to follow. Stuart used common examples. The first few chapters have a ton of information, but you need to keep reading! Chapters 5-7 brings everything together. Great book for writers.
Darla
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting idea to break out of the typical plot thoughts.
Sharon
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Book Architecture is a great resource for any author who is trying to fine tune their work. Stuart Horwitz is also a great presenter.
M.A. Brotherton
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: writing
I actually picked this up to go over my most recent manusript with. It was pretty helpful. The more of these story-grid style books I read, the closer I think I come to understanding it as a tool.
Novella Zucco

• Opium and Absinthe
  • Writing the Blockbuster Novel
  • How to Write a Novel Using the Snowflake Method
  • The Evening and the Morning
  • Conflict, Action and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • The Whole Bible Story: Everything That Happens in the Bible in Plain English
  • Night Over Water
  • Revision & Self-Editing: Techniques for Transforming Your First Draft Into a Finished Novel
  • Hornet Flight
  • Lie Down with Lions
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Help for Women with ADHD: My Simple Strategies for Conquering Chaos