Start by marking “Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)” as Want to Read:
Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)

Dumplin'

(Dumplin' #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  62,583 ratings  ·  9,578 reviews
Self-proclaimed fat girl Willowdean Dickson (dubbed “Dumplin’” by her former beauty queen mom) has always been at home in her own skin. Her thoughts on having the ultimate bikini body? Put a bikini on your body. With her all-American beauty best friend, Ellen, by her side, things have always worked . . . until Will takes a job at Harpy’s, the local fast-food joint. There s ...more
Published September 15th 2015 by Balzer + Bray

To ask other readers questions about Dumplin', please sign up.
Gerard Villegas No. As I stated in my review, it's about finding that inner confidence and loving who you are no matter what shape, size or what you look like. The…moreNo. As I stated in my review, it's about finding that inner confidence and loving who you are no matter what shape, size or what you look like. The main character does discuss her issues with her full figured appearance but surprisingly she doesn't let it consume her and finds a way to make it work to her advantage.(less)

·  62,583 ratings  ·  9,578 reviews

Start your review of Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This book is a hypocritical mess. There are three main things wrong with it:

1. It was boring
2. It's not body-positive for a book that's about body positivity
3. A love triangle (boo! hiss!)

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of this book? I would say it does. This book is vastly inferior to the spectacular Future Perfect, which sends the message of being comfortable in your own body in a far better way.

The main character in this book is fat. She is also an insecure,
Emily May
Dumplin' might be the perfect example of why I don't tend to read light-hearted, fluffy contemporaries.

Occasionally, my foray into this sub-genre ends with surprising new favourites like Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda, but mostly I'm left feeling a little underwhelmed. Many times, I'm thinking "yeah, that was quite a nice book" or "that had an important message" but I don't feel any emotional connection to it.

The thing about Dumplin' is that it contains a great message. Willowdean "Dumplin'" Dickson is fat - and no/>The
Wendy Darling
If this book were a movie, we'd all be at Julie Murphy's slumber party piled in front of the TV in our jammies, both screaming with laughter and clutching each other the minute someone leaned in for a kiss.

This book is: Hilarious. Quietly poignant. Provocative.

This book contains: Nuanced friendships and complex families. Romantic moments as sweet as puppy dog kisses. Lots of Dolly Parton songs. References to awesome books.

And it's so great to find a book that is fiercely positive, most especially about body image, identity,
Maria
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/5 Stars ⭐⭐⭐
“I guess sometimes the perfection we perceive in others is made up of a whole bunch of tiny imperfections, because some days the damn dress just won't zip.”

Look, 3 stars isn't a good rating nor a bad rating. But the issues I had with this book sometimes overcame the good stuff. I can't stop comparing the book to the Netflix movie based on it I saw beforehand (yes, I have watched the movie adaptation before reading the book yet again, AND STILL YOU HAVEN'T SLAYED ME YOU BUFFOONS) and I fee
Faye, la Patata
Once upon a time, I was fat.

I would have liked to use the nicer term "overweight", but who am I kidding? Almost weighing 70 kilos in my 5 feet 3 inches frame, I was fat and unhappy. I had big fucking boobs, big bulging sides, big buttcheeks, big arms, thighs that met together in at least one tangent, and the fact that my cheeks were already chubby without the added fat? Unhappiness galore. I tried to convince myself that even though I looked this way, I should still exude confidence because my physical appearance dfat.
I
jessica
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘all my life i have had a body worth commenting on and if living in my skin has taught me anything its that if its not your body, its not yours to comment on.’

this is a book i wish i had in high school but a story i can still appreciate today. in fact, anyone who has ever had insecurities or issues with their body (which is literally everyone) should read this.

there are such a wholesome messages in this book - how loyalty is the key to meaningful friendship, no one can love you until you love you
Natalie Monroe

"If you're gonna go, then go
She said to me on the phone
So tired of hearin' all your
Boy problems
If you're gonna stay then stay
He's not gonna change anyway
So tired of hearin' all your
Boy problems"

Dumplin' is about Dolly Parton and I opened with a Carly Rae Jepsen song. One, because I'm not familiar with Dolly's music. Two, Boy Problems describes Dumplin' perfectly. I'd wager half the book is angst over boys and romance instead of the promised pageant revolution.

Willowdean is fat—and she knows it. She doesn't go on unnecessary diets to change h
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

BUUUUUUUUUMP!!!!!!!!!! Because this premieres on Netflix tonight and I'm so excited to go home, put my PJs on, cozy up in bed, turn on the boobtube and shove my face full of what I lovingly call "diabetes in a bag" like my faaaaaaaaar removed teenage self . . . .

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Most of my friends gave this one a “meh” rating, but I FREAKING LOOOOOOOOVED it . . .

Palm Springs commercial photography

They obviously all read it wrong (j/k). They also might have actually ponied up some dollars for it, but it was gifted to me by a wee tipsy whttp://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/
BUUUUUUUUUMP!!!!!!!!!!
Whitney Atkinson
I had such high hopes for this book but it was just.... average. The characters weren't amazing, the story wasn't amazing, etc. I was really excited to read this because I love reading books about fat girls, but her size was rarely mentioned. I know the book isn't supposed to focus on her weight, but I found it a little less relatable than i'd like because it failed to give descriptions of her size. Like at one point near the end of the book, it was talking about how she pulled her knees up to h ...more
Christy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.25 stars!

photo C26BD86C-1589-4719-9164-7242DB627E3C_zpsyp8jlntu.png

“Find out who you are and do it on purpose” -Dolly Parton

Dumplin’ was one of those books I devoured. When I listen to an audio book, I know I’m really into it when I have great books sitting on my kindle waiting for me to read, but I’m finding inconsequential tasks to do around the house just so I can listen. It took me less than 2 days to listen to this book, which is super fast for me. There are so many parts in this story that were relatable to me. I adored our heroine, Ms. Willo
Maureen
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THAT'S HOW IT ENDS???? I NEED MORE.

I really REALLY liked this book. The message is SUPER SOLID and fantastic, and we need more books like this.
Will is an incredible character, and all the supporting characters are so great as well. I really loved Millie and her ability to shine so bright no matter what anyone else thought. The relationships in this book were super solid, even through the ups and downs, and it was so great to see so much female friendship.
My main reasons t
☆High Lady of The Night Court☆
Before I get into my review, I haven’t watched the movie yet, so if you have any thoughts on the movie, or the movie in relation to the book, leave your thoughts in the comments because I have to make up my mind about whether to watch the movie or not, and I would love to talk to you guys about it.

"I’m Dumplin’. And Will and Willowdean. I’m fat. I’m happy. I’m insecure. I’m bold."

This is a book about confidence, friendship, and being comfortable in your own skin. It’s a book about teenage,/>
may ❀
DNF @ 65%

What started off as beautiful body positive book. . .

description

I’m fat. It’s not a cuss word. It’s not an insult. At least it’s not when I say it. So I always figure why not get it out of the way?

and

I know that fat girls are supposed to be allergic to pools or whatever, but I love swimming… I know people stare, but they can’t blame me for wantingand
class="gr-hostedUserImg">
C.G. Drews
Well, WOW, that was a breath of fresh air. I was freakishly worried about this book because I loathed Side Effects May Vary. But you know what? Dumplin' was INCREDIBLE. There were a few things I was pretty squinty about (basically the romance) but it was so realistic and down-to-earth and refreshing and SOUTHERN Y'ALL. (Warning: I am Australia. I don't even know what Southern is. The ya'll's just amuse me.) Oh! Oh! OH! And the best part? It's about a beauty pagent so do you know what comes next?
DO YA?
DO YA?
Heck yes.
(I love that movie, by the way. It is incredible. Also Michael Caine. BUT MOVING ON.)

The characters are downright fabulous. They're not perfect, gosh, they're riddled with flaws, but everyone is interesting and dimensional. I didn't agree with all the characters actions...actually, Willowdean (the protagonist) rubbed me up the wrong way A LOT, but I can't deny how real she felt. I'm pretty sure any girl will relate to her struggles and insecurities. And gosh, she's a character. She introduced her self as "Cashier, Dolly Parton enthusiast, and resident fat girl."
description
She's complex. She's really brave and doesn't give a damn what people think...most of the time. She's still insecure about her body, but -- she wants to be HAPPY in her body. She doesn't want to change. She doesn't believe she should have to change, and I really admired this. She doesn't run around being "preachy" but she stands up for other girls and when a guy catcalls, she yells obscenities back. Willowdean is the kind of protagonist I've LONGED to read about forever.

And the writing? It's very detailed and vivid. Granted, this made for slow reading, though. I'm usually a speed-reader, but I felt I had to physically slow down so I could get all the little snippets. WHICH IS GOOD. I feel like almost every sentence was utilising the sentences and painting pictures and making sure I, as the reader, was totally embroiled in the story. It mad the characters POP too.

OTHER THINGS I REALLY LIKED:
+ It's not set solely in high school! YAY. Most of the setting, actually, is at the fastfood place they work at.
+ It's hilarious when the mother (who is in charge of the pageant) gets all righteous about how it's "not a joke" and how it's "so important" it just reminded me of Miss Congeniality so so much.
+ How there's a lot of emphasis on friends! And that growing different and up doesn't have to mean growing apart (though sometimes it can).
+ And how it smacked down cliches: like jocks aren't always stupid, and the silent broody guy isn't just beautiful and sexy -- sometimes he's a jerk too.
+ How the protagonist was pretty much a normal average person -- school, work, TV, tada. No eccentriciies. (Although I do love eccentric characters, it's nice to have someone more down-to-earth once in a while.)
+ Oh and there were tacos.

Okay, but we gotta talk about this cringing romance. It's not a smooth-clean-nice romance, and I GET THAT. It's realistic! When society views you as looking "wrong" (like Willowdean is "fat") then you're going to be plagued by anxieties. But I felt Willowdean was just a bit pathetic about this. And deluded?! Like, she wallows in thinking now one is ever going to love her -- but she basically has two dudes by the end. I MEAN, COME ON. REALLY??? I always feel weird about triangle-type relationships, because one side is always leading someone on and that's unfair and cruel. BUT ANYWAY. So Willowdean meets Bo (which is an adorable name, and reminds me of Po from Graceling, whom I also adore) at work and they have a tentative summery fling. THEN THEY BREAK UP TRAGICALLY. Why? That is an excellent question, my friends. I have no idea. I don't understand what went wrong between them. And I was focusing! I feel like it was equal parts of fault...Bo wasn't communicating the boundaries of their relationship (like would they continue or break up after summer?) and Willowdean was so OBSESSED with the fact that she was unwantable, that she made herself be unwantable by walking away.

Like. what.

(Anyway, I could be wrong about my analysation of their feelings. It was just so confusing for me to read.)

Willowdean is very self-centred. Which was hard to read about, because I can't really fathom how you can exist so deep in your own bubble that you miss what's going on. She has a mega-fight with her best friend (over selfish reasons) and she loses the boy she loves...all because it's all about HER?! I really struggled with this.
description

But otherwise, I feel like this is a super EMPOWERING book! It left me feeling encouraged! It left me with an epic list of quotes that I want to just, possibly, eat because they were so good. It was just so refreshing to read about a girl who isn't skinny but that's not who she is (like she's not enslaved by food through this book, actually, no binge-eating or purging). She's just a teen trying to find her way in the world. And she messes up SO BAD. But that's also realistic. And the ending is unexpected, a little bittersweet, and heartwarming. Although the romance is TOTALLY left hanging. But whatever. I'm pleased with this Dumplin. I am.

***NOTABLE QUOTES OF AWESOME ****
These quotes are from an ARC and should not be elsewhere, okay, yeah? I'm probs evil for posting them here BUT I CAN'T HELP IT. They be so good.

"There was some old guy catcallin' from the drive-thru. Called me sweetcheeks."
"Awww," she says. "Well, that's kind of flattering if you think about it."
"Mama, come on. No, that's gross."

(Bless this Willowdean.)

"Plus having sex doesn't make you a woman. That is so freaking cliche. If you want to have sex, have sex, but don't make it this huge thing that carries all this weight. You're setting yourself up for disappointment."

I understand that life after highschool is probably something I should be thinking about, but I can't picture me in college and I don't know how to plan for something I can't imagine.

I take one deep breath as I check the to-go bag supply underneath the register. "It's been a long day. Need some space."
Marcus mumbles something about PMS and to my surprise, from the kitchen, Bo says, "Why can't she just be having a shitty day? You don't need to make up some bullshit reason why."

"You're missing out on so much." She takes a step toward me. "Boys and dating. That kind of stuff."
I scrub my hands down my face. "You have got to be kidding me. News flash, Mom: a man will not cure my troubles."

I hear things like, "so horrible" or "I'm sorry, but she's hideous" or "why doesn't she get braces?"
That last one is the sentiment that stays with me all day because Hannah shouldn't have to get braces. Maybe she can't afford them or maybe she's scared to get them. Either way, she shouldn't have to fill her mouth with metal so that some shitheads will leave her alone.
Katie B
This was a nice surprise! I really wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did. I was kinda iffy on whether or not I was going to like the beauty pageant parts of the story but thankfully there were some good moments with that and also the other things going on in the main character's life.

What I loved most about the book was Willowdean wasn't perfect. She could be shallow, cruel, and hypocritical among other things. I found it refreshing to have a protagonist who could act li
Tucker
I JUST FINISHED THE MOVIE AND IT WAS AMAZING!! It was just as beautiful as the book and, okay, I admit it.... It made me cry 😢 😂
*****
I'm so happy with Young Adult literature today. Even though it all ranges from space to the forests, but it usually has the same over arching message:

And it's true. Everyone is beautiful. It doesn't matter if you black or white; gay or straight; Christian or Muslim; Big or small. It's about what's in your heart
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Overall a really cute and fun story with a great moral!
Video review soon (once school slows down a bit)
Inge
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Lauren
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dumplin’ is the story of Willowdean Dickson, a fat girl from a small town that hosts the oldest beauty pageant in Texas. After the sudden death of her beloved aunt, Will decides to honor her memory by signing up for the pageant. She wants to try something that her aunt had always denied herself because of her own insecurities about her weight. Now Will suddenly finds herself contending with becoming a beauty queen, her crazy pageant mother, an angry best friend, two cute boys… and maybe a small ...more
Caroline
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
SO this rating is probably closer to 2.5 stars but I decided to round it down because, even though I enjoyed this book, it has too many flaws to be worth a three star rating.

My main problem with this was that it was heralded as a book about body positivity and acceptance but it felt far from it. I found Willowdean to be quite a hypocritical character in general. Her internal monologue was filled with her judging other people; Millie, for example, who Willow points out as 'the type of fat that requir
Montzalee Wittmann
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dumplin' by Julie Murphy is a book and movie I kept hearing about. I am not one to follow the book trends, I like to read books off the beaten path because I find a lot of hidden gems that way but this book intrigued me.
The story is about a beauty pageant but the overall theme, ironically, is not to judge others, and to be yourself, love yourself, just the way you are!
The characters are great and the plot was predictable but good. I watched the movie after the book. I think the book is ge
Aj the Ravenous Reader
“There’s something about swimsuits that make you think you’ve got to earn the right to wear them. And that’s wrong. Really, the criteria is simple. Do you have a body? Put a swimsuit on it.”

This is one completely adorable, funny, heartwarming and inspiring contemporary YA. I regret that I hadn’t read it sooner. I love the main purpose that the book wants to put across. People spend too much time thinking they’re too fat or too thin, eyes too far apart or too close together, teeth too big or
Fafa's Book Corner
Fafa's Book Corner (Wordpress)
Fafa's Book Corner (Blogger)

Beware spoilers ahead!

Updated thoughts:

Dumplin' was read for The Dream Thieves: Badass Broads.

I'm going to be frank I literally only reread this because of the movie. If it hadn't been for the movie, I wouldn't have bothered with this book. Over the last three years I've forgotten so much. To the point where I confused character names and their personalities.

Upon my reread I'm actually s
AMEERA
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a Beautiful Book 💜
♛Tash
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
"I’m fat. It’s not a cuss word. It’s not an insult. At least it’s not when I say it."

I love this charming book about courage, set in South Texas with a Dolly Parton soundtrack. I was gonna say body image, but truth is, body image is not the central theme of this book. It figures some of course, but it’s more about the courage to retain your shape when the world dictates you to be another.

Willowdean Dickson,Dumplin' to her former beauty queen Mom, is completely fine being fat (not a pejorative term). SDickson,
enqi ☁️✨ kell maresh lovesite
with all the hype surrounding Dumplin' , i'm really sorry to say this book didn't appeal to me at all. i did find the premise interesting and promising at first... but by the time i reached the 60% mark, i was mostly bored and skimming the pages. i have many things to say about it, so let me just make a list of the reasons i hated disliked this book:

- this book was such a fucking hypocritical mess.
Beautiful, he says. Fat, I think. But can't I be both at the same time?

what sta
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 5/26/18: I DID IT. I re-read Dumplin’. And I have to say, while I still think Willowdean is honestly the worst, I didn’t hate her with the fire of a thousand suns like I used to. She sucked, but the rest of the book was pretty dang cute and I really liked everyone BUT Willowdean lol. 3.5 stars! Also check out 2015 Chelsea down below trying not to be mean. I hated the book but refused to say so lmao how times change!

Original read 9/22/15: I liked this, but I'd be lying if I sa
Rachel Reads Ravenously
I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would. A fun and fast read, it had some great body positive messages in it. I wish this book had been around when I was in high school.
✩ Ashley ✩
I cheated. 🙉

I watched it. 🙈

I LOVED IT! 🙊

Netflix’s Dumplin’ is SO GOOD! I’m definitely reading the book so I can live it over and slowly savor it :):):)

discussion 1 1 Oct 28, 2019 01:16PM
Goodreads Librari...: Can't add quotes for Dumplin 3 13 Oct 26, 2019 09:41AM
Do you think that Rosie did the right thing by disqualifying Willowdean from the pageant? 3 16 Oct 22, 2019 05:07PM
Dumplin' by Julie Murphy 2 5 Oct 02, 2019 02:30PM

• On the Come Up
  • Five Feet Apart
  • Sadie
  • P.S. I Still Love You (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #2)
  • What If It's Us
  • Daisy Jones & The Six
  • With the Fire on High
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • The Poet X
  • Leah on the Offbeat (Creekwood, #2)
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • A Very Large Expanse of Sea
  • To All the Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #1)
  • Always and Forever, Lara Jean (To All the Boys I've Loved Before, #3)
  • Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Creekwood, #1)
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
Julie lives in North Texas with her husband who loves her, her dog who adores her, and her cat who tolerates her. When she's not writing or trying to catch stray cats, she works at an academic library. Side Effects May Vary is Julie's debut novel.

Dumplin' (2 books)
  • Puddin' (Dumplin' #2)
“I think maybe it’s the things we don’t want to talk about that are the things people most want to hear.” 121 likes
“I've wasted a lot of time in my life. I've thought too much about what people will say or what they're gonna think. And sometimes it's over silly things like going to the grocery store or going to the post office. But there have been times when I really stopped myself from doing something special. All because I was scared someone might look at me and decide I wasn't good enough. But you don't have to bother with that nonsense. I wasted all that time so you don't have to.” 117 likes