Start by marking “Dwarves in Space” as Want to Read:
Dwarves in Space

Dwarves in Space

(Dwarves in Space #1)

Thousands of years after the jewelry's destroyed, the sword reforged, the dragon ridden, and the indecipherable prophecy translated into a recipe for sugared biscuits, the dwarves turned to that final frontier: space. And along came the elves, orcs, gnomes, trolls, ogres, and those vermin-like upstarts, humans. Dwarves in Space is Tolkien merged with Hitchhiker's and Firef ...more
Published April 8th 2015 by Amazon Digital Services (first published March 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Dwarves in Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dwarves in Space

Start your review of Dwarves in Space
Margaret
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
First off I will say that I was gifted a copy of the book by the author to read and review.

The book was described to me as "Tolkien, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Firefly merged in a transporter accident". I honestly couldn't come up with a better description myself.

This is about the third or fourth book by Sabrina Zbasnik I have read, and I have to say that her writing style improves with each book.

"Dwarves in Space" is brilliant. The characters are well rounded, interesting, and individu
Dixie Conley
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
In another place and time, this would be a ripsnorter of a book. A farce, a play upon all space operas, and loaded with enough humor to make you have breathing difficulties before the end of chapter 1.

Alas, it wasn't. The author clearly intended there to be a great deal of humor. The fact that their currency is cat videos screams that this was meant to be a funny book. But as hard as it tries, it just isn't.

This is the story of all of your standard fantasy races in space. Elves, trolls, orcs, dw
Margaret
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All Space-Faring Fairy-Tale loving readers. Folk who like a joke or seven.
Recommended to Margaret by: Sabrina Zbasnik
I love how author Sabrina Zbasnik asked me to review her sci-fi cacophony Dwarves in Space. She was wit and jokes from the onset and Dwarves in Space follows her wonderful penchant for cracking a smile on my face. The settings were stock, yet creatively intertwined with bug farms and feminist Orc colonies, dilapidated space faring cruise ships and a dwarf who doesn't shut up. All in I enjoyed Dwarves in Space as a romping frolic into the fanfare of fantasy memes meets Firefly. It worked.

Aside f
Elizabeth Ramsay
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Zbasnik has created a unique and intriguing cast of characters. Her novel is a brilliant satire of Sci-fi conventions and modern day cliches. She also uses foreshadowing to great advantage in her work. The reader is left begging for more. Though one might wish Zbasnik had revealed more insight into her characters in this first novel her choice to leave the reader hanging was not a bad one. Looking forward to seeing more from this author.
Regina
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I wanted so much to like this book. The premise sounds right up my alley, though, to be fair, the promise "Tolkien merged with Hitchhiker's and Firefly [...]" is a bit of a tall order to begin with.

I am truly sorry to say that I DNFed (at least for now) somewhere in chapter 2. :(

While there were some funny moments, there wasn't enough of a storyline or character development (so far) to draw me in. (Since another reviewer points out that the story picks up later, I want to give this book another
E.C. Stever
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sam Vimes in Space

The title drew me in*, and this book lived up to my expectations. What else could this be, except a ridiculous fantasy/sciFi story with trope-twisting jokes?

The bizarre cast of magical creatures reminds me of a Sam Vimes novel from Terry Pratchett (lots of jokes from a cast of magical creatures, a world-weary lead character, and a strong action-packed finale).

It's funny, at times farcical, but the underlining plot is logical and the characters are realistic, even if they brea
Nick Nielsen
Feb 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Unfortunately I have lots of books to read that look better than this one. I gave it a chance, but couldn't bring myself to properly start it (stopped reading around chapter 4). The prose and dialog were confusing, especially to begin with - I couldn't tell who was talking, which character was which, who was an elf vs. dwarf, etc. It was more farcical than I was willing to put up with at the moment, with cat videos being the main source of currency in space; it was a farce, but unfortunately not ...more
Zee
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, humor
I expected more Dwarves, seeing how it was DWARVES in Space, but that one was really enough.

If Tolkien went in with Star Wars and Spaceballs, this would be the book. It took a while to set up, but in the end a lot of questions were answered, mostly silly. Dwarves, Orcs and Elves, oh my! Fun read.

ooooh. There's a sequel????
Robin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-giveaway
If you're looking for something fun to read with plenty of diverse, flawed, interesting characters, then this might just be the book for you. While touching on many tried and true sci-fi tropes, there is enough fresh material in this book to keep you interested and entertained.
Karen
Good story, could really use an editor. Several instances of incorrect word usage. For example, you enunciate your words; you don't "annunciate" them. The dreaded your/you're and it's/its issues reared their ugly heads, as well.
Tomas Štefe
I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book so I could give an honest review.

I love sci-fi and the fantasy genre. This book had both but the delivery was not successful , at least for me.

CHARACTERS

The characters were pretty bland, absolutely not character development.

The captain Variel is the main character of the story. She is a mysterious woman with a curious companion (the djinn Gene). She captains a ship named (Const)Elation-Cru(ise). In the past she was a Knight of the Crest,
Sage Knightly
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lizzy Baldwin
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I’m not going to comment hugely on the blurb because I want to just go straight into pulling this apart and looking at all the great things this book manages to do. I don’t normally like fantasy/science fiction books they’re just not for me, but, I enjoyed reading this. The plot although a little heavy was interesting and dotted with exciting events, battles, relationship struggles and there are dwarves in space so – good. I thought the characters were built up well and given strong character st ...more
On Lilaina
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Dwarves in Space by S.E. Zbasnik is the kind of book that can suit any mood you are in. It tells the tale of the spaceship Elation-Cru and its motley crew of misfits that cobble together friendship, and the ship itself. Captained by a human who loses the battle at keeping her past life a secret, they must put aside their differences and prejudices and work together to survive the hostile galaxy.

I have to say, Zbasnik created an amazing world. She used elements of science fiction, wild west and
Adam Chmelka
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Dwarves In Space" is an incredibly entertaining work of fiction. It's set in a sci-fi universe where the universe has been settled by the diverse races familiar to any fantasy reader. Elves, orcs, and of course dwarves all show up, as do dryads, genies, and a host of others as well. It gives the universe a diverse feel, without having to throw a bunch of brand-new alien races at the reader, and works surprisingly well. Zbasnik never overloads the reader with technobabble or info dumps, doling o ...more
Rick Hutchins
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Dwarves In Space" is the first volume in a series and by the time you've finished with it, you'll be very glad that there's more to come. If there is any justice in the alternate universe of genre fandom, this will quickly rise to become one of the most beloved of franchises. The comparisons to Pratchett and Adams are obvious, but don't expect Pratchett or Adams. The satire and absurdist humor is there, as is the quirky prose, but this author has a style all her own. It may seem odd to say abou ...more
Alex McGilvery
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
With a title like Dwarves in Space I had to give this book a read. It doesn’t disappoint. The classic races of high fantasy are lifted into space and stuffed onto a rickety old space cruise liner. Variel captains a ship with a crew formed of a motley association of races and two passengers who are assassins for the Elven government. Life is good, or at least not totally bad, until she needs to rescue the assassin. Turns out she is rescuing him from an old foe.

Completing the job doesn’t save her
Underground Book Reviews
2.5 Stars

A dwarf, an elf, an orc, a human, and a djinn take off in a spaceship... The start to a great geek joke? No. It's the premise of S. E. Zbasnik's novel, Dwarves in Space. The Elation Cru is a decrepit space cruise ship manned by a band of misfits of various species. The human captain's murky past as a Knight of the Crest catches up with her, and puts her crew and ship in peril.

While the stage is set for a fun-filled romp through space with a zany cast of characters, the book fails to cap
Lenita Sheridan
Jul 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Good Idea, but could be clearer and funnier

This book gets off to a rough start, with a confusing introduction of characters. It does get better, later on, but the author still needs to learn to write more clearly.

This wasn't much like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It certainly wasn't as funny. It was more like the sitcom Red Dwarf, especially the computer which is much like the one on the popular sitcom. Actually, there really wasn't much to laugh about in this book.

The idea of mixing fa
Mindy
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Doctor Who and “Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy,” both of which remind me of this story. It also sounds a little like the start of a joke: ‘A human, orc, elf, dwarf, and genie were on a space ship…” The story manages to be both funny and tense, sometimes at the same time.

I give this book 5 out of 5 clouds.
S.K. Gregory
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dwarves in Space is an entertaining space adventure featuring an array of fantasy creatures such as orcs and dwarves. It is well written and witty and an easy read. The characters are well developed and believable.
I would definitely recommend this to scifi fans and people who are fans of books by Terry Pratchett.
William Howe
May 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Slow to develop

Up to chapter five you feel like it's not a real novel; more a collection of snark and humor stitched together in a bizarre format. Then a storyline starts to emerge.
Rick
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting group of well wrought characters in a somewhat sketchy world oozing with potential

Could use one last edit to polish up a few rough spots but quite nice overall
( I hate word quotas)
Aly
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This book was a little odd for me. A dwarf, an elf, an orc, a human, and a djinn take off in a spaceship..........does that sounds odd to you. The book was hard for me to get into and hard to follow. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
David O.
Nightwing
Dec 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Authors...: Dwarves in Space only $0.99 1 3 Aug 11, 2015 12:18PM
Free Book Giveaway: Ebook giveaway of Dwarves in Space! 1 3 Jul 06, 2015 11:33AM
Book Giveaways: Ebook giveaway of Dwarves in Space! 1 8 Jul 06, 2015 11:25AM
Dwarves in Space 2: Family Matters 1 2 May 08, 2015 04:45PM

• Jane Jones: Worst. Vampire. Ever.
  • Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
  • Through The Fire: The Alawansi Book One
  • Heretics of Dune (Dune Chronicles, #5)
  • Chapterhouse: Dune (Dune Chronicles, #6)
  • Take Off Your Pants! Outline Your Books for Faster, Better Writing
  • Machine Sickness (Eupocalypse #1)
  • The Syn-En Solution(Sys-En,#1)
  • The Lamp from the Warlock's Tomb (Anthony Monday Mysteries, #3)
  • Pewter Creek Mountain: A Colorado Suspense Novella
  • Progeny of Vale (The Circuit, #2)
  • Gust Front (Posleen War, #2)
  • The Ultimate Book Marketing Crash Course: A Step-by-Step Guide to Selling More Books (2019 Edition) (Crash Courses for Authors)

Dwarves in Space (3 books)
  • Dwarves in Space 2: Family Matters