Start by marking “Lips Like Ice” as Want to Read:
Lips Like Ice

Lips Like Ice

He calls himself the Prince. He is humanoid but not human--fascinating, sensual, at the cusp of maturity, and accustomed to getting what he wants. And Lydia has awoken in his world to find that she has been given to him--as a pet, a plaything, and, if he so desires, a lover.

As Lydia comes to realize that the Prince is as much a prisoner to his culture's ways as she is, her
Published February 28th 2015 by Circlet Press, Inc. (first published January 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Lips Like Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lips Like Ice

Start your review of Lips Like Ice
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
24877767._SY475_

3.5 Stars
This one is a very ethereal and unique read it's really a hard one to explain adequately and put into words being so unusual.
So this is not some erotic pet play type sci-fi, it's actually more of a coming of age story, a journey of self-discovery that could play-out against any backdrop not just here, it just happens to be set on an alien world.
It's about teaching someone care and compassion for someone apparently inferior and at the same time accepting things that are beyond our contro
ZARIA (Sheldon Cooper lover)

I loved this book... !!! Right from the blurb till the last line... I loved the way the characters were framed. I hate the usual big horny aliens with bad dialogue . This hero is definitely unique. He's an alien - elf, and the King's second child. In this alien - elf world, the second child must choose to become female. A sex/gender can be chosen at will with this race, and with there being already a firstborn male, it's expected this second child will choose to develop as female.
Howeve
Sally
Jan 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bdsm, transgender
Well now, this certainly wasn't the book that I was expecting. When Peggy Barnett pitched it to me, I thought it would just be a fun bit of erotic gender-bending fluff. Of course, knowing Peggy, and knowing what else she writes, I really should have expected more. Yes, there is a lot of eroticism here, and it definitely breaks the gender binary, but none of it is fluff. In fact, Lips Like Ice is a very deep, very thoughtful story that goes to some very dark places, both physically and psychologi ...more
Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
This wasn't the book I was expecting. I expected some sort of weird sci-fi erotica, I think, but this ended up being a fully fleshed sci-fi romance with a captivity angle.

In theory, I like captivity romances. However, every time I read one I'm left less than impressed. There's never a good balance between desire and psychological issues, and the captive always capitulates way too easily because the captor is hot and/or disgustingly rich.

In LIPS LIKE ICE, the psychological aspect is quite well do
Andrea
Lydia holds still and lets him, and says nothing. Because what else do you do when your kidnapper, your warden, your eventual potential bed-sport partner (but not lover), comes to you for comfort?

This is such an interesting read. It explores concepts like consent, bodily autonomy, self-identity, sexual discovery, life, death and grief all wrapped in a sort of alien/ portal fantasy romance

warning:(view spoiler)
Celestine
What to say about this most unusual novel? I found this book very provocative in light of current national events regarding gender identity. At turns this book will intrigue, horrify, soothe and excite. In all ways it is an emotional and physical roller coaster. I've never linked to another review before, but the one listed by Bending the Bookshelf has such clarity without revealing key spoilers that I will simply direct you there: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

CharlieB
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Right....well...that was certainly interesting! :)
This is a story that deals with the issue of gender identity in a unique and different way. Very thoughtful and refreshing read.
Willow Madison
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Well, that was interesting... Not sure what I think of it, though.

The good: The premise is unique. I love the idea of a MMC eschewing tradition so he can have his woman on his own terms. At least, that's what I thought the story was going to be about. (spoiler: it wasn't). If this is taken as a tutorial for the PC treatment of gender and attraction, then I'd say it's well-done and thought-provoking. If this is taken as a dark romance...

The bad: Waaaay too much inner monologuing from the FMC. I
Deljah
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads, 3-5-stars
3.5 stars. Would've been an easy 4 with better editing and then a 5 with less heavy-handedness. I read it for the human-alien pairing.
Siavahda
Let's get this out of the way: I do not read romances. Not only do I not read romances, but until last year I was one of those horrendous snobs who looked down upon Romances, capital R, as being somehow lesser than my precious spec-fic.

Obviously this is an incredibly stupid thing to think, and I'm very glad I learned out of it.

But although I no longer deliberately avoid romance novels, I still manage to...well, never read any. I'm the girl who likes dragons and epic quests and in those kinds o
Imani Chestnut
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lips Like Ice more like TIME TO EAT YOUR HEART OUT.

It's gonna take me a minute for the tears to stop flowing, because this book was so beautiful, and has earned a spot as one my new favorite stand alone novels, and just kanslssdlsoxjdmnd (ΩДΩ)!!!

I went into this book with high expectations and this book DID NOT DISSAPOINT! It is very psychological, and dark, and many a times heart wrenching to the point I would have to take breaks because I couldn't stop sobbing.

I loved Lydia's character the wh
Lucy
Easily my favorite sci-fantasy book of 2016, this book is so rich with themes that it is difficult to do justice to it with a review.

Lydia wakes up after a mysterious debilitating fever that nearly kills her to find her memories gone and her emotions somehow blunted. Why can she not feel strong emotions anymore? Then she is told by a mysterious elf-like queen that she has been given as a pet to her adolescent son and Prince, in order to teach him how to love and care for another creature. Uh, ye
Ashley
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this novel from the Goodreads: First Reads giveaway.
Actual Rating is a 4.5

I am going to be completely honest... this was actually really good. Please, pardon the shock as it is just the fact that I entered more as a joke without the thought that I could actually win. The book SOUNDED good and I felt bad that not many people were entered, so I entered it. I simply did not think that the book would come with a real story line to fill the pages between the naughty bits. Truth
Literati Literature Lovers
3.5 Stars
An intense science fiction psychological drama. I don't want to turn anyone off by this review but this book deals with the anthropology of gender identity, and supposed choices that are made in stepping into the gender you choose for yourself. The Prince the protagonist of the story comes from an alien race where gender is chosen. But that gender choosing is supposed to be in line with the societies social mores. The interesting part is what if you choose a gender that isn't of your f
Michelle
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. Okay... I'm not sure what to make of this book. I admit. I bought it because it was described by someone as "alien abduction erotica", so I thought it would be the corny romance novel cliche... I was sooooo wrong. First, I read this in a marathon session, staying up until 3:00 am trying to get it done. Second, I told as many people as could about it, because it's just so unique.

Will some people be shocked or offended? Definitely. But if you can get past all the potential triggers, then und
Carla Smith
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Barnett has given us an amazing story where I felt every ounce of Lydia's terror, frustration and anger at being regarded as nothing more than a pet by her keeper, a blue-skinned, pointy-eared, alien elf prince. However, I also empathized with her when she accepts her very real survival is completely dependent on him. Alien or not, he becomes her world. But when the Prince goes against tradition, Lydia is horrified at the violent physical abuse he is subjected to at the hands of his own fami ...more
Colleen Vanderlinden
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not at all what I was expecting, even after reading the opinions of several friends. This was a deep, dark read, and I don't think anything could have really prepared me for it. Having finished it, I still feel unsettled. This isn't a bad thing, at all. If you're looking for a light alien romance, this definitely isn't it. For the most part, I couldn't even call it a romance, because it wasn't. What it was, really, was a story of two beings who developed together and individually. It was a story ...more
Maddy Barone
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very innovative and unique voice. An equally innovative and unique story. I wasn't sure I always enjoyed it, but it certainly kept my attention. I wasn't even sure that there would be a happy-ever-after, but there was. I'm adding that so prospective readers that require happy endings won't skip this fresh voice.
LaShon
Jul 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good and emotional read

This book took me on a rollercoaster of emotions. So painful throughout but it was a great read nonetheless, I mean that's why we read right? To travel to new worlds and experience a great deal of pain and love and pure satisfaction. One less star because at times it seemed to be a bit preachy. Read it!
Ashley
This is definitely one of those "hard to put down" books. Really enjoyed it. Was up all night reading as I was entranced from the very first page. Even found myself sneaking in a few chapters at work. 4 stars
Kathryn
Review to come soon because, wow.
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Feb 22, 2017 marked it as i-think-i-want-this
Recommended to Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ by: Heather *Undercover Goth Queen*
heather says it's weird AF, let's do this
Samantha K
Beta-H alert. Interesting story though.
Stefanie Von Guest
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
So...

I found this book while looking for Alien Erotica, brought on by my recent interest and love for Star Trek. I spent numerous hours perusing through goodreads and amazon in order to find something that fits in with my unusual tastes.

I like books that are unique and have a weirdness to them. Oh and I also do not read romance..erotica yes but romance ... no.

Anyway after reading title after title, blurb after blurb I finally settled upon this one. It didn't seem to fit in with the usual " Hunk
Bubbles The Book Pimp
First read by this author.

So when a few of my alien/space/fantasy book reader peeps were talking about this book... 'genitals like a what'?? I thought hell yeah I'm game!

Holy alien flower dongs!! I should of known my peeps wouldn't be raving about this book just because of the flower dong!! ( sneaky girls...how I loves them! Tiffany..Amanda...I'm looking at you two!! 😂😂😘😘)

I thought I was signing up to a typical alien abduction/pet to lover kind of book... and damm it was ...but a whole lot mor
Mandy
Well, I can definitely say that this was very original and not anything like other sci-fi romances I have read in the past. That said, there were times where I was slightly confused about the size of the alien hero (the Prince) versus the human heroine (Lydia) - yes, it is obviously that he is much bigger than her but then there were times when he didn't appear to be that big? I just don't know.

As for the story itself, there was a psychological aspect to it that really made it difficult to read
Marissa
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Win

Lydia is awakes into an alien world where her memories are hazy. She finds she has been given as a pet, to someone named Prince. His plaything to be used as he desires even sexually as he chooses.

At first, he treats her cruel but when he sees her injured he treats her gently. She realizes he is as much as a prisoner in his world as she. Being the second son is not easy as he was supposed to be female and be a queen but made the wrong choice as he is cruelly beaten by his oldest brot
♛ Jarusauskas
★★★★
** SPOILERS **

Holy fucking balls.

This was amazing!

Amazing doesn't begin to describe how i felt reading this wonderfully tragic story.

And it saddens me the fact that this book isn't more popular.

People, THIS. IS. A. GEM.

When I think of The Prince, i see this in my head:

description

With purple skin, obviously.

Because, duh. Ice Elf, anyone?

I loved it, really.

When the Prince fucked over Lydia with his spell and she almost dies freezed, I LOOOVEEDDD IT. I could almost taste his repentance.

I won't give it
Amanda
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tw-cw, alien-smut, kindle, poc
I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this read, but it wasn't quite what this story actually is. Overall, this is a solid sci-fi romance with a trigger/content warning for rape in the latter part of the book. It is quite heavy-handed with themes at times--feeling like they're being pounded into you with a hammer--which did kill some of my enjoyment in parts. (I tend to like more subtlety, but I realize that sometimes a point will not get across if it's not screamed.) This story explores ...more
Tiffany Roberts
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this put down. From start to finish it is a page turner. You are right with Lydia through her experiences, her fear, her confusion, and her love for her Prince despite her situation. The Prince earns her love and companionship and he grows from a spoiled princling to a man - though he has many hurdles to overcome himself.

There are many shocking things in this book, but it only makes it all the more realistic. While I am glad it doesn't happen to her, I mourn that it happens to hi

• Saving Askara (Saving Askara #1)
  • Homebound
  • Chasing Earth (Saving Askara #2)
  • Land of the Beautiful Dead
  • Cottonwood
  • The Last Hour of Gann
  • Broken Earth (Argurma Salvager, #1)
  • Strange Love (Galactic Love, #1)
  • The Care and Feeding of Griffins (Lords of Arcadia, #1)
  • Choosing Theo (Clecanian #1)
  • To Touch A Dragon (Venys Needs Men)
  • Ruth's Bonded (Ruth & Gron, #1)
  • Our Pet (Ours, #1)
  • The Pet Project (Pet Project #1)
  • Contagion
  • Bay's Mercenary (Unearthly World, #1)
  • Venomous (Alien Warrior, #1)
  • The E.T. Guy (Office Aliens, #1)
"Peggy Barnett" is the erotica pseudonym of a Toronto-based SF/F author. Peggy writes stories for the thinking erotica reader. She likes to write stories that are both one-handed reading and topical discussions of consent, non-binary gender, the full spectrum of sexuality and romanticism, and relationships that bloom beyond monogamy.