Start by marking “The Immortal Bard” as Want to Read:
The Immortal Bard

Isaac Asimov

The Immortal Bard

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  66 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
The Immortal Bard is a science fiction short story by Isaac Asimov. It was first published in the May 1954 issue of Universe Science Fiction, and has since been republished in several collections and anthologies, including Earth Is Room Enough (1957) and The Best Science Fiction of Isaac Asimov (1986). Like many of his stories, it is told as a conversation, in this case be ...more
ebook
Published (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Immortal Bard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Immortal Bard

Alice
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
This is a very funny and creative short story from Asimov's collection, especially since it goes in a different direction from his usual themes by approaching literature.
I loved the hilarious exchange, the ending especially.
Tal
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Asimov wrote this story to get back at the English teachers.
Fabulous.
Katie
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't realize how short this short story was! It's only about two pages long!
It's a great little tale and it will make you think about our perceptions of dead famous people...what if the great scientists, thinkers and writers from the past could be brought to our time to see what we made of their work?
What would Shakespeare think of what we make of his plays?
A thought provoking and funny story.
Rachel Jackson
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A funny little story that unfortunately makes me think of every Shakespeare class I've ever taken—and most general English classes as well. Alas, poor Shakespeare; I knew him, reader, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. It's almost a shame academia has raked him across the coals so much. Read this story online here.
Robert Martin
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very short and light hearted story about time travel. Pretty scathing criticism of modern English literature classes :)
Janith Pathirage
A funny little scify story by Isaac Asimov. I'm getting more and more impressed with Asimov every time I read a story of his. Because he has a very wide range. This one was not very ingenious , but it got something instead, sense of humor. Love it when scify authors mix bit of humor to their stories. And I'm pretty sure William Shakespeare would have enjoyed this one if he could read it.
Maggie Gordon
What would Shakespeare think about the industry that has grown around his plays? Asimov's The Immortal Bard is a short joke about Asimov's experiences with literary analysis at the expense of English majors. He doesn't think Shakespeare would understand all this analysis at all...
Alex Loro
Yda
Mar 20, 2018
Kakha
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That was a magnificent story. Great Isaac.
Sourav Chakraborty
Michael Rainer
rated it it was ok
Aug 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Speculative Short...: The Immortal Bard week of May 11 8 21 May 18, 2015 04:39AM

Professor Asimov is generally considered one of the most prolific writers of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine o