Start by marking “First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)” as Want to Read:
First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)

First Star I See Tonight

(Chicago Stars #8)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  12,092 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews
A star quarterback and a feisty detective play for keeps in this sporty, sexy, sassy novel—a long-awaited new entry in the beloved, award-winning, New York Times bestselling author’s fan-favorite Chicago Stars football series.

Piper Dove is a woman with a dream—to become the best detective in the city of Chicago. First job? Trail former Chicago Stars quarterback, Cooper Gra
384 pages
Published August 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about First Star I See Tonight, please sign up.
Geanina Looks like it's Nicole Poole. No one compares to Anna Fields, I doubt there are many readers out there with half her talent. She truly is missed even…moreLooks like it's Nicole Poole. No one compares to Anna Fields, I doubt there are many readers out there with half her talent. She truly is missed even after so many years.(less)

·  12,092 ratings  ·  1,570 reviews

Ana O
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Four stars for my queen. SEP (almost) NEVER disappoints me. Ever wonder what it's like to read a SEP book? Allow me to show you.

photo giphy_zpstk0iheoy.gif

photo tumblr_m1dj9nEfjf1r7lg3o_zpsfrqqofm5.gif

photo giphy_zpsvg6irsx1.gif

photo tumblr_m1925sRer31r6n8jp_zpsgkppbahe.gif

photo scream_zpsvxcquy82.gif

photo large_zpssb95mhz7.gif

photo giphy_zps6tmivz1l.gif

photo 263789_zpsek2lfobr.gif

When's the next one coming out?

I shall be waiting.

photo tumblr_inline_mog30n06eL1qz4rgp_zpsq4dzvtqf.gif
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
First Star I See Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review by Harper Collins Publishers. This is my very first book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and if I had to use just one word to describe how I feel about this book I would use “delightful!”

Cooper Graham is thirty-seven years old and is a retired football player. He had played in Miami for years but then he transferred to the Chicago Stars and took them all the way to the Super Bowl. With
Jill
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing

"I'm a homegrown Chicago girl. You're....the stars." She managed a creaky smile. "'Star light, star bright,' and all that."

Cooper Graham's living the dream. At thirty-seven he's got the world....and plenty of women....at his feet. He spent three years as quarterback with the Chicago Stars, and unlike many players, retired when he was on top. With the success of his first nightclub, Spiral, Coop wants to attract a quality investor for his planned nightclub expansion.

Private investigator,
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I feel like a big old idiot. I almost didn't read this book, then I decided I would give it a go and then dnf it. Yep idiot. The reason? I thought it would just be one of those sugary sweet romance books that follow every trope known to man. The truth? This book is full of sarcasm and some lovey-dovey stuff at times.... but I loved each and every second.

It starts with private detective Piper being under-cover with her many disguises. (She really isn't very good at them) and she gets busted when
Mo
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Well, one thing you can say about an SEP book, it is never depressing. I love this author. She is funny, witty, writes sexy scenes. All in all, she pushes all the right buttons for me in her Romance books.

All in all, it was a good day to be Cooper Graham ... except for one pesky woman.

Cooper is a retired NFL player. Piper runs her own Private Detective agency. Total opposites. He is usually seen with some long legged, blonde actress (I was going to say "bimbo", but we will give Cooper some cre
Geri Reads
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
After all these years, Ms. Phillips still manages to enthrall me with her characters and her stories.

Piper is a hoot! And Cooper was the perfect foil for her.

I wish all the characters from previous books were there, but at least Python and Anabelle were there. Oh, and Phoebe Sommerville.

Excuse me while I go and re-read the other books in the series now.

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!!

Nobody could be more surprised than I am to announce that I’m writing another book in the Chicago Stars series. I
Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4 STARS

She was a woman who attacked life instead of waiting for it to unfold around her. And her general imperviousness to him had stirred up some kind of primitive bullshit need to conquer.

#HappyFeels
This book.
*Attempts to wipe goofy grin off of face*
*fails*
*grins even bigger*
I mean...THIS. BOOK.

As a long time fan of SEP and especially her Chicago Stars series, when I heard the news that she'll be releasing another book in one of my most beloved contemporary romance series, I downright wet
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
And to think, I wasn't sure I was going to like this book because I don't care for football. Yeah, I don't like football, don't judge me =) But, it's freaking awesome. I laughed and laughed some more. I thought I was going to croak I was laughing so hard. The character of Piper Dove is awesome! I want her as my best friend. She's full of snark, she's kind and she can spout off one liners like no one else! and she's super smart too! And she can kick butt! Obviously she's cool, you get it?

She gav
Alp
DNF @45% No star rating.

I love SEP’s works. I've read almost every book by her, and I never once gave them anything less than 3 stars. But this! It was more than disappointing!

I struggled with the story and the heroine from the very start, and the more I read, the more I got bored. There was way too much filler and not enough story here.

-- Unattractive hero.

-- Annoying, charmless, pushy, bossy, disrespectful, and self-centered heroine. (You might say she isn’t that bad because she wanted to save
Isa Lavinia
Jul 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
TRIGGER WARNING: DUBIOUS CONSENT

I never thought the day would come that I'd hate an SEP book, yet here we are...

Let me start by saying that I really liked Piper, the main protagonist.
She was a strong woman who'd risen above her emotionally abusive childhood to become a capable and brave adult who went after what she wanted. She was also extremely concerned with doing things in an ethically correct way. I respected and liked her.

Which is why it's so appalling to me how horrible this book was.
Wendy'sThoughts
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Susan Elizabeth Phillips Fans, Chicago Stars Series, Romance
4 If it Aint Broke, Doesn't Need Fixin' Stars
* * * *
There will always be certain authors I will read...They started me on this Romance path and I am very grateful. I think the first author was Jayne Ann Krentz: she wrote as Krentz and also as Amanda Quick. I was taken by these stories and gobbled them up. I then discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips....
OMG... She took me by the hand and I was IN LOVE. The Chicago Stars series was so terrific, I read each book right after the other. Then went searc
Julie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The First Star I see Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips is a 2016 William Morrow publication.

This book is simply marvelous!
It has been a while since I’ve read a book by SEP, too long, in fact. This book reminds me of just how good she really is.

Piper Dove owns her own private detective agency, but it’s barely making ends meet. Currently, her assignment is to investigate former football superstar, Cooper Graham, for a client thinking of investing in Cooper’s new nightclub.

But, when her cover
Amanda
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This book was an extra bonus in a care package from someone you’d never expect to send me something. Ha! Just kidding. It totally came from Shelby. Now we’ve both read it so hold on to your butt Susan Elizabeth Phillips . . . .

While this one didn’t get allllllll the starz from me like it did Shelby, it did earn 4 and I also read it a little wrong which I will explain momentarily. (Sidenote for the one of you who might be interested:
♥Sharon♥
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is such an amazing author. I adore her writing and I LOVE LOVE LOVE this Chicago Stars Series. One might think that with each book this series gets better and better but for me each book has been fabulous in its own right. I love that her characters are always irresistible, sweet, sexy, funny, and oh so endearing. And her plots are never simple or predictable. Whenever I think I know the direction she is taking us, she puts a spin on it. I love that.

photo First Star_zpswsetbdx7.jpg

In First Star I See
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
2.5 stars-WHAT JUST HAPPENED ? How could this be ? An SEP book and me not loving it ? :'(

All this 5 and 4 star reviews gushing about this sequal makes me wonder if I got the same copy of the book as they did. :/
Don't get me wrong this book wasn't bad,at all.BUT I DIDN'T FIND IT ENTERTAINING either.It was just such a snore.

In fact,It Didn't really feel like an SEP read at all ! The only thing I LOVED in this book was the heroine. Feisty,Smart and funny she was an entertaining character.I only f
Sita
Sep 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
There is an entire storyline dedicated to a Pakistani girl in forced servitude to a Middle Eastern family. The author uses said minority characters to demonstrate to us just how wonderful and kind-hearted the white protagonists are for wanting to help the Pakistani girl. Fuck this.

Also it would be nice to have a romance novel where the heroine who repeatedly claims that she has no desire for motherhood, actually not end up being a mother of multiple children in the epilogue, and all her fears we
Ingie
Review written August 29, 2016

4 Stars - Solid good stuff as always from SEP. I'm happy!!

I was so glad (and honestly surprised) discovering a new book (#8) in one of the BEST contemporary romance series ever, SEP's fantastic Chicago Stars was planned to be published this August. My friend Jill was first with a very promising short tease & tempt review and I preordered at once.

photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif  photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif  photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif  photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif

I have listened to First Star I See Tonight as a 9:50 hours audiobook narrated by Nicole Poole this weekend ..
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Back to the thoroughly enjoyable and much beloved Chicago Stars series after a several years gap, glad to be able to say SEP has returned to her top form. The book delivers on all accounts, as I've come to expect by this author, and it's another delightfully sparkling romantic comedy brimful of her trademark humour, engaging writing and snappy dialogues.
Cooper and Piper make another winning couple, the perfect blend of opposites attracting each other (the type of couple I've always thought SEP
Lyuda
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

I really-really wish I loved the story as much as my GR friends did. But, alas, it wasn’t meant to be…

While it has SEP humor, the book isn't as good as previous Stars books mostly because of the heroine and some subplots that were just way too random, puzzling and crowded the main story.

The heroine with “daddy's issues” who hides her insecurities by being the tomboy 'tough as nails' 'one of the guys', who does many stupid, impulsive, wrong-headed things throughout the story, who starts
Jen
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This was my first SEP book, but I can't wait to read more. This book was so much FUN! And to make it better, I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed listening to the banter between Piper and Cooper.

Piper Dove is a private investigator for her agency, the agency she now owns that her father created. She grew up with only her father and he treated her like a boy for most of her life. When Piper decided she wanted to be a PI like her father, this is when he decided that it was too tough of a
Nani
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primero, he leído éste libro con otro que NO me ha gustado, por lo que creo que mi opinión respecto a él es más bien un poco subyugada y es poco objetiva (además que me encanta SEP). Tal vez le hubiera dado menos estrellas si no hubiera compartido la lectura con ese libro en cuestión.

No sé cómo expresarme o cómo hacer llegar lo que pienso a cerca de este libro. Tal vez mejor por frases cortas o no sé.

-No me convenció la historia de amor. Solo hacía al final. No es suficiente. Algo que creo que s
Yolanda
3,5
me ha faltado romance, los protas no han sido de esos típicos de la SEP que cada vez que aparecen saltan chispas, pero me ha gustado mucho. He pasado unos ratos buenísimos y las apariciones de Heath .... maravillosas. Me he sentido "obligada"a leer de nuevo Cázame si puedes, no me he podido aguantar jejejeejejje
Kimberly Carrington-Fox
Nuestra reseña en A la cama con... un libro

Pues sí, 3/3'5 para SEP. Voy a ver si me tiro por un puente o algo para superar haberle dado esta puntuación.
Floripiquita
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le doy un 3,5 y porque es SEP y aquí no hay media estrella, redondeo al alza. Soy una gran fan de Chicago Stars y aunque este libro me parece que está incluido un poco con calzador en la serie, nadie puede negar que es puro SEP. Tiene dos protagonistas maravillosos: un ex quarterback macizo, de pelo en pecho (si, señor!!), gruñón y con un aire a mi querido Dan -no creo que las apariciones de Phoebe sean gratuitas- y qué decir de Piper, la viva imagen de una mujer de armas tomar. Además, la afici ...more
Sheryl C. Nash
Jun 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
OH HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

A NEW Chicago Stars book from SEP???!!!! I read It Had to Be You waaaaaaaaayyyyy back in '94 when I was 14(!!!) and I gotta say that book MADE me the voracious contemporary romance reader that I am today... SO I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!
Irena
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing style was amazing, but the story itself was just too silly for my taste.
And the main characters were unlikeable, and I even dare to say that our heroine was stupid.

As I said, the writing style (and the humour) saved this one for me.
Corina☞BookTwinsReviews
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, audiobook
I had a really HARD time getting into this book.

It took me two tries.

The entire first scene of Piper meeting Cooper was just too ridiculous for me. I had to take a break and come back to it with an open mind.

Fortunately the break helped and I did end up enjoying the rest of the book.

What I liked the most about First Star I See Tonight was that neither Piper nor Cooper liked each other at the beginning, which was refreshingly different.

The book was entertaining, and Piper a real character. She wa
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was better than I expected! I am always super hesitant to read any book that is so late in a series, and for some reason I get intimidated when I see something like "#8" in the title...but I'm glad I gave it a shot! It was full of fun love/hate witty banter that was perfect for what I was in the mood for. My biggest issue? Sex. They had such great tension and chemistry that I felt a big "waa waa" when we finally got to the super vague and non-descriptive sex scenes.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #54 First Star I See Tonight 1 1 Sep 23, 2017 04:33PM
Julie Lessmans new book "love Everlasting book 2" 1 8 Oct 08, 2016 02:49PM
CAN'T WAIT!!!! 1 26 Feb 16, 2015 04:15PM
  • The One In My Heart
  • The Stiff and the Dead (Pauline Sokol, #2)
  • Come Fly With Me (Alaskan Nights, #2)
  • Sleeping with Beauty (Glass Slipper, Inc., #3)
  • Wild at Whiskey Creek (Hellcat Canyon, #2)
  • Just Kiss Me
  • In Your Dreams (Blue Heron, #4)
  • Crazy Thing Called Love (Crooked Creek Ranch, #3)
  • Playing House (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #5)
  • The Chocolate Rose (Amour et Chocolat, #3; La Vie en Roses, #0.5)
  • It Happened One Wedding (FBI/US Attorney, #5)
  • Rules of the Game (Stardust, Texas, #2)
  • Apples Should Be Red
  • The Sweet Spot (Sweet on a Cowboy, #1)
  • Divorced, Desperate and Dead (Divorced and Desperate #4)
  • Brown-Eyed Girl (Travises, #4)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is an international bestseller whose books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award. Among her other accomplishments, Susan created the sports romance.

Susan's newest book, FIRST STAR

Chicago Stars (8 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
“What do you mean by that?”

Her frustration got the best of her. “You’re so used to feeling superior that you’ve forgotten there are people who might know something you don’t.”

One of his big, competent hands landed on the blade of his hip. “What’s your deal anyway? Do you feel like such a failure that you need to attack anybody who’s successful?”

“No. Maybe. I don’t know. Fuck you.”
4 likes
“The only reason I kissed you was as a distraction from what I really wanted to do, which was strangle you.” 2 likes