Start by marking “First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)” as Want to Read:
First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)

First Star I See Tonight

(Chicago Stars #8)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  14,749 ratings  ·  1,736 reviews
*Alternate version for ISBN9780062405616*

A star quarterback and a feisty detective play for keeps in this sporty, sexy, sassy novel—a long-awaited new entry in the beloved, award-winning, New York Times bestselling author’s fan-favorite Chicago Stars football series.

Piper Dove is a woman with a dream—to become the best detective in the city of Chicago. First job? Trail for
384 pages
Published August 23rd 2016

To ask other readers questions about First Star I See Tonight, please sign up.
Geanina Looks like it's Nicole Poole. No one compares to Anna Fields, I doubt there are many readers out there with half her talent. She truly is missed even …moreLooks like it's Nicole Poole. No one compares to Anna Fields, I doubt there are many readers out there with half her talent. She truly is missed even after so many years.(less)

·  14,749 ratings  ·  1,736 reviews

Start your review of First Star I See Tonight (Chicago Stars, #8)
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
First Star I See Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips was generously provided to me in exchange for an honest review by Harper Collins Publishers. This is my very first book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and if I had to use just one word to describe how I feel about this book I would use “delightful!”

Cooper Graham is thirty-seven years old and is a retired football player. He had played in Miami for years but then he transferred to the Chicago Stars and took them all the way to the Super Bowl. With
Jill
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing

"I'm a homegrown Chicago girl. You're....the stars." She managed a creaky smile. "'Star light, star bright,' and all that."

Cooper Graham's living the dream. At thirty-seven he's got the world....and plenty of women....at his feet. He spent three years as quarterback with the Chicago Stars, and unlike many players, retired when he was on top. With the success of his first nightclub, Spiral, Coop wants to attract a quality investor for his planned nightclub expansion.

Private investigator,
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I feel like a big old idiot. I almost didn't read this book, then I decided I would give it a go and then dnf it. Yep idiot. The reason? I thought it would just be one of those sugary sweet romance books that follow every trope known to man. The truth? This book is full of sarcasm and some lovey-dovey stuff at times.... but I loved each and every second.

It starts with private detective Piper being under-cover with her many disguises. (She really isn't very good at them) and she gets busted when
Mo
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Well, one thing you can say about an SEP book, it is never depressing. I love this author. She is funny, witty, writes sexy scenes. All in all, she pushes all the right buttons for me in her Romance books.

All in all, it was a good day to be Cooper Graham ... except for one pesky woman.

Cooper is a retired NFL player. Piper runs her own Private Detective agency. Total opposites. He is usually seen with some long legged, blonde actress (I was going to say "bimbo", but we will give Cooper some
Geri Reads
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
After all these years, Ms. Phillips still manages to enthrall me with her characters and her stories.

Piper is a hoot! And Cooper was the perfect foil for her.

I wish all the characters from previous books were there, but at least Python and Anabelle were there. Oh, and Phoebe Sommerville.

Excuse me while I go and re-read the other books in the series now.

THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!!

Nobody could be more surprised than I am to announce that I’m writing another book in the Chicago Stars series.
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
4 STARS

She was a woman who attacked life instead of waiting for it to unfold around her. And her general imperviousness to him had stirred up some kind of primitive bullshit need to conquer.

#HappyFeels
This book.
*Attempts to wipe goofy grin off of face*
*fails*
*grins even bigger*
I mean...THIS. BOOK.

As a long time fan of SEP and especially her Chicago Stars series, when I heard the news that she'll be releasing another book in one of my most beloved contemporary romance series, I downri
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
And to think, I wasn't sure I was going to like this book because I don't care for football. Yeah, I don't like football, don't judge me =) But, it's freaking awesome. I laughed and laughed some more. I thought I was going to croak I was laughing so hard. The character of Piper Dove is awesome! I want her as my best friend. She's full of snark, she's kind and she can spout off one liners like no one else! and she's super smart too! And she can kick butt! Obviously she's cool, you get it?

She gav
Alp
DNF @45% No star rating.

I love SEP’s works. I've read almost every book by her, and I never once gave them anything less than 3 stars. But this! It was more than disappointing!

I struggled with the story and the heroine from the very start, and the more I read, the more I got bored. There was way too much filler and not enough story here.

-- Unattractive hero.

-- Annoying, charmless, pushy, bossy, disrespectful, and self-centered heroine. (You might say she isn’t that bad because she wanted to save
Wendy'sThoughts
Aug 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Susan Elizabeth Phillips Fans, Chicago Stars Series, Romance
4 If it Aint Broke, Doesn't Need Fixin' Stars
* * * *Spoiler Free-Shining Bright $2.99 SALE!!!!!
There will always be certain authors I will read...They started me on this Romance path and I am very grateful. I think the first author was Jayne Ann Krentz: she wrote as Krentz and also as Amanda Quick. I was taken by these stories and gobbled them up.

I then discovered Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

OMG... She took me by the hand and I was IN LOVE. The Chicago Stars series was so terrific, I read each bo
peachygirl
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2020
For a former quarterback, Coop is a freaking saint by SEP's standards. I absolutely loved this one! ...more
Isa Lavinia
TRIGGER WARNING: DUBIOUS CONSENT

I never thought the day would come that I'd hate an SEP book, yet here we are...

Let me start by saying that I really liked Piper, the main protagonist.
She was a strong woman who'd risen above her emotionally abusive childhood to become a capable and brave adult who went after what she wanted. She was also extremely concerned with doing things in an ethically correct way. I respected and liked her.

Which is why it's so appalling to me how horrible this book was
Julie
Oct 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The First Star I see Tonight by Susan Elizabeth Phillips is a 2016 William Morrow publication.

This book is simply marvelous!
It has been a while since I’ve read a book by SEP, too long, in fact. This book reminds me of just how good she really is.

Piper Dove owns her own private detective agency, but it’s barely making ends meet. Currently, her assignment is to investigate former football superstar, Cooper Graham, for a client thinking of investing in Cooper’s new nightclub.

But, when her cover
Amanda
Aug 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

This book was an extra bonus in a care package from someone you’d never expect to send me something. Ha! Just kidding. It totally came from Shelby. Now we’ve both read it so hold on to your butt Susan Elizabeth Phillips . . . .

While this one didn’t get allllllll the starz from me like it did Shelby, it did earn 4 and I also read it a little wrong which I will explain momentarily. (Sidenote for the one of you who might be intereste
♥Sharon♥
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I finished listening to this a couple of days ago and I loved the audio book even more than when I read it. ❤

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is one of my most favorite authors. Her books never fail to make me swoon over just about everything. I love her H's and h's and the story surrounding them. I love her secondary characters. I love the work involved in reaching the HEA.

The narrator Nicole Poole did an amazing job bringing to life Piper and Coop's story!! If you love the Chicago Stars series I high
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (SLOW)
2.5 stars-WHAT JUST HAPPENED ? How could this be ? An SEP book and me not loving it ? :'(

All this 5 and 4 star reviews gushing about this sequal makes me wonder if I got the same copy of the book as they did. :/
Don't get me wrong this book wasn't bad,at all.BUT I DIDN'T FIND IT ENTERTAINING either.It was just such a snore.

In fact,It Didn't really feel like an SEP read at all ! The only thing I LOVED in this book was the heroine. Feisty,Smart and funny she was an entertaining character.I only f
Lyuda
Jul 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

I really-really wish I loved the story as much as my GR friends did. But, alas, it wasn’t meant to be…

While it has SEP humor, the book isn't as good as previous Stars books mostly because of the heroine and some subplots that were just way too random, puzzling and crowded the main story.

The heroine with “daddy's issues” who hides her insecurities by being the tomboy 'tough as nails' 'one of the guys', who does many stupid, impulsive, wrong-headed things throughout the story, who starts
Ingie
Review written August 29, 2016

4 Stars - Solid good stuff as always from SEP. I'm happy!!

I was so glad (and honestly surprised) discovering a new book (#8) in one of the BEST contemporary romance series ever, SEP's fantastic Chicago Stars was planned to be published this August. My friend Jill was first with a very promising short tease & tempt review and I preordered at once.

photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif  photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif  photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif  photo image_zpsscbdbabu.gif

I have listened to First Star I See Tonight as a 9:50 hours audiobook narrated by Nicole Poole this we
Christina ~ Brunette Reader

Back to the thoroughly enjoyable and much beloved Chicago Stars series after a several years gap, glad to be able to say SEP has returned to her top form. The book delivers on all accounts, as I've come to expect by this author, and it's another delightfully sparkling romantic comedy brimful of her trademark humour, engaging writing and snappy dialogues.
Cooper and Piper make another winning couple, the perfect blend of opposites attracting each other (the type of couple I've always thought SEP
Jen
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
This was my first SEP book, but I can't wait to read more. This book was so much FUN! And to make it better, I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed listening to the banter between Piper and Cooper.

Piper Dove is a private investigator for her agency, the agency she now owns that her father created. She grew up with only her father and he treated her like a boy for most of her life. When Piper decided she wanted to be a PI like her father, this is when he decided that it was too tough of a
Irena BookDustMagic
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The writing style was amazing, but the story itself was just too silly for my taste.
And the main characters were unlikeable, and I even dare to say that our heroine was stupid.

As I said, the writing style (and the humour) saved this one for me.
NMmomof4
4 Stars

Overall Opinion: This was better than I expected! I am always super hesitant to read any book that is so late in a series, and for some reason I get intimidated when I see something like "#8" in the title...but I'm glad I gave it a shot! It was full of fun love/hate witty banter that was perfect for what I was in the mood for. My biggest issue? Sex. They had such great tension and chemistry that I felt a big "waa waa" when we finally got to the super vague and non-descriptive sex scenes.
Corina
Feb 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
I had a really HARD time getting into this book.

It took me two tries.

The entire first scene of Piper meeting Cooper was just too ridiculous for me. I had to take a break and come back to it with an open mind.

Fortunately the break helped and I did end up enjoying the rest of the book.

What I liked the most about First Star I See Tonight was that neither Piper nor Cooper liked each other at the beginning, which was refreshingly different.

The book was entertaining, and Piper a real character. She wa
Sheryl C. Nash
Jun 25, 2015 marked it as to-read
OH HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!

A NEW Chicago Stars book from SEP???!!!! I read It Had to Be You waaaaaaaaayyyyy back in '94 when I was 14(!!!) and I gotta say that book MADE me the voracious contemporary romance reader that I am today... SO I CAN'T BLOODY WAIT FOR THIS!!!!!!
Antonella
reread

There is something so comforting I find in reading Susan Elizabeth Phillips's books.
You can start anywhere and I think most of you will seek to read more. I love this series.
I loved the heroine as I do that often when Susan's writing is in question.

Will I read more, will I read this again, will I enjoy it?

WhiskeyintheJar
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: series, contemporary
I really wanted to love this one because Phillips is a favorite author but after I could feel myself pushing to enjoy it, I let go of expectations.

I felt like we never got to really delve into the hero's character and while I enjoyed the offbeat personality of the heroine, it felt forced. Their snarky dialogue felt stuttered, robotic, and didn't always flow for me. The emotion I typically love from Phillip's books was missing here for me. I've talked about loving some of her past books and look
Mo
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Enjoyed the audible - cannot wait for SEP's new book.

♥ℳelody
*Review up*

Bored Reader, Table for 1?

So I didn't love this like everyone else. Oh man, new releases have just not been my friend. :( I don't know...it was all too predictable and familiar for me. I love opposites attract equations but Cooper and Piper worked as little for me as Molly & Kevin, Dean & Blue and Theo & Annie didn't. I know SEP loves her eccentric 'feisty' (😒) rough around the edges independent heroines but sometimes 2 extreme opposites don't always make a right (see couples listed
Amy | Foxy Blogs
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Piper is hired to investigate a legendary football star, Cooper. She comes up with the most ridiculous disguises to keep Cooper from figuring out she was tailing him. Unfortunately, for her, Cooper knows he’s being followed and catches her in the act. After a scramble on why she’s following him, he ends up hiring her to give him the lowdown on his night club employees.

Piper isn’t your high maintenance type of gal and she's definitely not Cooper’s type of woman that he normally dates. But her co
Chryssa
A new Chicago Stars book and I didn't know?

Come on SEP.... ;o)

Enthusiastic much??? Yes, that's me when it comes to favourite authors publishing new books in all time favourite series.
Although the story was pleasant and the guest appearances of former Chicago Stars characters was a caress to previously adored books of the series, I must admit that I wasn't swept by the romance to the level of wanting to scream to the citizens of Booklandia "Stop everything and read this!", as I have thought of do
Madison Mega-Mara...: #54 First Star I See Tonight 1 2 Sep 23, 2017 04:33PM
Julie Lessmans new book "love Everlasting book 2" 1 8 Oct 08, 2016 02:49PM
CAN'T WAIT!!!! 1 26 Feb 16, 2015 04:15PM

• Nothing But Trouble (Chinooks Hockey Team, #5)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
  • Simply Irresistible (Chinooks Hockey Team, #1)
  • Any Man of Mine (Chinooks Hockey Team, #6)
  • The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3)
  • Blue-Eyed Devil (Travises, #2)
  • Тајната на Алексови
  • Something About You (FBI/US Attorney, #1)
  • See Jane Score (Chinooks Hockey Team, #2)
  • Sugar Daddy (Travises, #1)
  • It Happened One Wedding (FBI/US Attorney, #5)
  • Love Irresistibly (FBI/US Attorney, #4)
  • True Love and Other Disasters (Chinooks Hockey Team, #4)
  • The Thing About Love
  • About That Night (FBI/US Attorney, #3)
  • A Lot like Love (FBI/US Attorney, #2)
  • Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1)
  • Suddenly One Summer (FBI/US Attorney, #6)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

Susan Elizabeth Phillips is the creator of the sports romance, beginning with her 1989 bestseller, FANCY PANTS. An internationally acclaimed author, her books have been published in over 30 languages. She’s the only four-time recipient of the Romance Writers of America’s prestigious Favorite Book of the Year Award, and a recipient of their Lifetime Achievement Award.

Susan'

Chicago Stars (9 books)
  • It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1)
  • Heaven, Texas (Chicago Stars, #2)
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
  • Dream a Little Dream (Chicago Stars, #4)
  • This Heart of Mine (Chicago Stars, #5)
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • Natural Born Charmer (Chicago Stars, #7)
  • When Stars Collide (Chicago Stars, #9)

Articles featuring this book

Thank your lucky Chicago Stars—Susan Elizabeth Phillips returns to the Windy City with First Star I See Tonight! The author answers your questions...
“What do you mean by that?”

Her frustration got the best of her. “You’re so used to feeling superior that you’ve forgotten there are people who might know something you don’t.”

One of his big, competent hands landed on the blade of his hip. “What’s your deal anyway? Do you feel like such a failure that you need to attack anybody who’s successful?”

“No. Maybe. I don’t know. Fuck you.”
6 likes
“The only reason I kissed you was as a distraction from what I really wanted to do, which was strangle you.” 5 likes