Start by marking “Shoot This One: Essays by Javier Grillo-Marxuach” as Want to Read:
Shoot This One: Essays by Javier Grillo-Marxuach

Shoot This One: Essays by Javier Grillo-Marxuach

How do you become a television writer? What does it take to create your own show? Did the writers of Lost really have a plan, or were they making it all up as they went?

In a career spanning far longer than he cares to admit, Javier Grillo-Marxuach has not only written for some of your favorite (and not-so-favorite) shows — from the Emmy Award-winning Lost, to Charmed, Me
Published February 16th 2015 by Puppet Bureau

Start your review of Shoot This One: Essays by Javier Grillo-Marxuach
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Series of essays on being a television writer. His description of the day he heard Donald Trump sing the theme from Green Acres alone would make it worth reading.

His take-down of David Mamet pleased me more than I should probably admit.

Grillo-Marxuach is a brilliant, talented, funny, and generous writer who has helped create some of my favorite shows. I laughed out loud many times. And now I'm REALLY GRUMPY we didn't get his Xena reboot.

Great bus book.
Jon Arnold
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays, ebooks
Much of this writing was originally published on Grillo-Marxauch’s Livejournal blog. This isn’t intended to disparage the quality of writing, rather it’s to give blogging a very good name. Grillo-Marxauch puts the same level of care and attention into blogs as into scripts with the result that each piece is beautifully constructed and serves a purpose. As he explains, he’s wary of directly introducing people into the industry but this book makes up for it with solid advice (along with the Childr ...more
Scott Daly
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shoot This One is a collection of essays by TV Writer/Producer Javier Grillo-Marxuach. The essay topics are broad, ranging from insights into the business side of TV production, how pilots get ordered, the night Grillo-Marxuach won an Emmy for Lost, and a fair amount of political commentary from the mid 2000s (oh how I long for the time when George W Bush was the biggest of our political problems). Most of these are transplanted from Grillo-Marxuach's blog entries.

I appreciated the author's wri
Denise Nader
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Este libro es una colección de los ensayos escritos por Javier Grillo-Marxuach en LiveJournal. En conjunto, se puede decir que narran la historia de un geek apasionado por la escritura que busca triunfar en la TV sin perderse en el camino. Y además nos muestra ese camino: un recorrido lleno de egos, de trampas, de fracasos y victorias. Hablan de un mundo extraño, al que muy pocos acceden y la mayoría sólo conocemos del otro lado del espejo: la pantalla. Hablan de la fe como soporte y como eje.
Ca
Scott Williams
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I knew the author's work without knowing his name. I started following him on social media after he was announced as the writer of the Xena reboot and found that I liked him. This collection of essays has cemented that feeling. Insightful, witty and overall entertaining! ...more
Michael T. Christensen
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A charming - and sometimes harrowing - collection of insights about the entertainment industry, from someone who has been in the trenches for a couple of decades. It’s not a cohesive manuscript, but several essays that bounce around in time and from subject to subject, recounting tough industry moments, offering advice, and sharing his opinions on the politics of the early 2000s. All told with a strong, undeniable authorial voice.
Tara Gelsomino
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
The essays were far more political/general than Writing/TV industry based than I expected. And most of them seemed long-winded/overwritten. A little disappointing.
Howdy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Javi wrote for The Tartan when I was editor. This book is a loose collection of essays, mostly about his career writing for television. He's a smart guy, and he’s got a really high degree of introspection about the work he’s doing. ...more
Ben Scofield

• Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
  • In the Dream House
  • How to Succeed as a Screenwriter
  • The Future of Feeling: Building Empathy in a Tech-Obsessed World
  • You Say More Than You Think: Use the New Body Language to Get What You Want!, The 7-Day Plan
  • Sugar and Spice (A Very Enby Christmas #1)
  • Unspeakable Things: Sex, Lies and Revolution
  • How to Become a Straight-A Student
  • The Dip: A Little Book That Teaches You When to Quit (and When to Stick)
  • Vivian Maier: The Color Work
  • Rose: My Life in Service to Lady Astor
  • Am I Small? Je Suis Petite, Moi ?
  • Erste 100 Wesentliche Wörter
  • Where Is My Little Dog? (Where is... #4)
  • We Are All Weird - The Rise of Tribes and the End of Normal
  • Recollections of My Nonexistence: A Memoir
  • Awkward (Berrybrook Middle School, #1)
  • Magic for Liars