Start by marking “The Kill Bill Diary: The Making of a Tarantino Classic as Seen Through the Eyes of a Screen Legend (Screen and Cinema)” as Want to Read:

The quirky, strange and utterly sagacious meditations of David Caradine written during the making of Quentin Tarantino's contemporary classic in which Carradine played the lead role.

When Carradine landed the lead role in Quentin Tarantino's new film, Kill Bill, it catapulted him into the Hollywood limelight. This journal captures his experience of being courted by Tarantin

Published May 27th 2014 by Methuen Drama (first published November 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Kill Bill Diary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kill Bill Diary

Start your review of The Kill Bill Diary: The Making of a Tarantino Classic as Seen Through the Eyes of a Screen Legend (Screen and Cinema)
Niki
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Finally done with this. "Finally" not because it was unpleasant or anything, but it should have been half the length.

First of all: David Carradine just wasn't in the movie enough to be writing a 400 page book about it (it was 388 pages on my Kobo). He had 5 scenes (in the chapel; talking to Elle on the phone; talking to Sofie after her encounter with the Bride; talking to Budd before he's killed; and the final showdown between him and the Bride), and two of those are just his voice and hands. He
Kurt
I wish that I could say that even if you didn’t like Quentin Tarantino’s movies, you would find this book a fascinating peek into the inner workings of the Hollywood machine. I would also like to say that even if you aren’t familiar with David Carradine, you will be charmed by peeking into the inner workings of his character. Unfortunately, I can’t say either. I needed the hook of being a big Tarantino fan and always considering David Carradine an enlightened and elevating presence for any movie ...more
Kevin Hogan
Exactly what it says it is. Entries in David Carradine's diary from March 21 2002 through June 26 2004. Along with photos.

Not deep, but an entertaining look into two years of David Carradine's life ... as well as a bit of movie industry behind-the-scenes and a lot of David Carradine between-the-ears. Reading this, I felt as though I had a sense for who David Carradine actually was.

Don't expect any secrets to be revealed (secrets of moviemaking, secrets of the universe, or otherwise), and don't e
Karen-Leigh
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous writing on his experience making the best movie of his later life. Some very ironic sections, his hoping when he died he would die well like a warrior could or should. And that dignity was important to him. Five years after this book was published he died without dignity...so sad. He was a bright, talented, unique man and I could wish the memory of him was not sullied by his ending. His writing is witty, humorous, intelligent and cohesive.
Phair
Have been fan of Carradine since his Shane series in the 60s and of course Kung Fu. This 'diary' was similar in tone to his earlier autobig. I was pleased that he made so many mentions of Shane in this one, even noting that Bill's holster was the same one he used in the earlier western series.
Jessie Drew
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book left me feeling calm and relaxed after finishing it.
Kill Bill 1&2 are my favorite movies for personal reasons and so I was extremely excited to read this book. It did not disappoint at all. David Carradine (RIP) wrote a candid and entertaining diary of his time just before and shortly after his life as Bill. He knew that people would want to hear about QT as much and he was generous with all the stories about his time with QT. I highly suggest and strongly urge fans, and anyone really,
Karen-Leigh
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Carradine one of my favourite actors died in highly embarrassing circumstances. I have read a number of his written works and was always interested in his strange career and life. This book, from the point of view of an actor of some fame and notoriety is a fascinating behind the scenes look at making a major motion picture. David always had a way with words, he died too young.
Paul
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conversational in style, his affection and respect for Tarantino displays frequently. I grew to really like David and his cinematic view of life along with his incredible movie history.
A really enjoyable and ‘warm’ experience. Not a feeling I usually look for in my book choices.
Jin Kyun
A brief "behind the scene" book written by David Carradine, the one who played 'Bill' in Quentin Tarantino's movie, "Kill Bill".

Although you can briefly taste the film's catharsis, the book can be repetitive throughout.
John
Jun 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this years later, after Carradine's bizarre death and the public shaming of Harvey Weinstein, is interesting. Kill Bill seemed like a troubled, indecisive shoot from David's description, but his insights on acting methods and the daily minutiae of the films make for good reading.
Linda
Oct 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Sycophantic and, worse, boring.
Brett McDowall
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting account of being around Tarantino and David’s own personal “grasshopper” observations.

Macy White
If you're a fan of Tarantino and his movies, you will more than likely enjoy this book, as it delves into personal accounts of working with him and the other folks involved with the film. Also it is a great insight into filmmaking in general: Carradine records entries about the pre-production, production, the post-release media mania, and the politics of working with Miramax.

The first thing you should note is the word "diary" in the title. These are mostly the day to day thoughts and entries, in
David Owen
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm gonna be generous with this one because Mr Carradine is not a writer I particularly connected with. But man do I love these movies and any extra insight into them or the process of making them is alright with me.
JDK1962
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked up the book because I'm a Tarantino fan, not because I'm a Carradine fan. Frankly, could have done with more Tarantino and less Carradine.

I certainly admit that he was excellent in his role in Kill Bill. But for me, it was the case of an actor being great in a role that was created for him, with a script comprised of the notes he could hit, rather than, say, Daniel Day Lewis being freaking amazing in anything because he's Daniel Day Lewis. And from the book, I got the impression that Carr
Amber
Dec 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not finish this book despite the random behind the scenes scraps Carradine tosses to the reader from time to time. Its not worth reading through his self indulgent monologues about not having any money, not being given a personal driver, not being able to hire his own friends as part of the crew, etc. just to read a sentence or two about Tarantino's process or going through kung fu training with the cast. Its a bunch of boo-hooing and lot of stream of consciousness emails to his friends. ...more
Ashley
Jul 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: KB/QT/DC fans
What a cool book. Despite the eye-roll inducing title, Carradine offers a really interesting, first-hand account of what happened before, during, and post-filming Kill Bill.

Did you know that Quentin Tarantino was originally going to play the part of Pei Mei? Crazy, but true, and that is just one of the secrets Carradine divulges to us in this neat book. Also, there are a lot of sweet, insider pictures included.
Don
Best know for his portrayal of Kwai Chang Caine in the 70’s television series Kung Fu, Carradine has published excerpts from his diary written during the making of the film that returned him to stardom. While this book is not an exposé, nor does it give many technical details, it provides an interesting glimpse into the people involved in movie making, including co-star Uma Thurman and director Quentin Tarantino.
Joe Perez
Jan 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, especially for Carradine and Tarantino fans. Was disappointed to learn that Michael Jai White was originally in Kill Bill, Vol. 2, but his scenes ended up being cut out (they have been returned in the DVD set with special features). Having never seen the special features, it was really cool having Carradine describe the shooting of those scenes, as well as all of the special training most of the cast had to endure.
Arkady
Aug 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: absolute lovers of David or Kill Bill
It has some funny stories about the shooting and the people he worked with (Tarantino, Uma Thurman, that other guy...), pictures and the diary of David Carradine while the movie was being produced (2 long years, I believe) until the first premieres. It's interesting if you're a fan of Kill Bill but sometimes it's too dense.
Rachael
not my fave book but not aweful either. a bit slow, gushy and full of obscure name dropping. its still a peek into the beautiful man that is David carradine as well as a bit of behind the scenes on kill bill. I wish there had been a more anecdotes about on set an d less gishing about being in love with the gurls and QT. oh well.
David
Jul 08, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Film People
Great incite on the filmmaking process and business, particularly that of Quentin Tarantino. Great incite on acting from a veteran screen legend. Excellent writing for a guy who's famous for punching and kicking. Wonderful personal moments in this memoir.
Myke Reiser
Jan 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fanatical tarantino fans cause Carradine says he's a genius (which he is) 500 times
Shelves: iownthisshit
This book was awesome in deconstructing Hollywood screen mythos and so on and so forth and as an added bonus, one can imagine Carradine reading it in that "Yellow Book" mystical accent and speech pattern that he has. He can make the phrase "I ate a sandwich" sound exotic. This is cooler than cool.
Cordero Vazquez
May 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me a look into the filming of a tarantino film. I really enjoyed this because i have read many books from the view of the director and they are usually lacking something. This book was really good easy to read and entertaining.
Grace
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Goofy and awkward - was annoying reading the several accounts of Carradine receiving praise. However, I do LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kill Bill movies so it was fascinatig to learn how these masterpieces were made and the struggles Carradine had to endure over his career.
Alex Teixeira
Sep 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a real pleasure to read, specially if you like Tarantino, the movie Kill Bill, and David Carradine.

It really felt as if I had travelled alongside David during the making of this film.

Loved it.
Jen
While I'm already biased from this movie being one of my favorites, it was really awesome to read about the production of the movies from the point of view of one of its stars. I learned more about the making of both movies, but also more about David Carradine himself, which was an extra bonus.
Micheline Jade
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
second time round with this, and I swear it's better than the first time I read it!! I so miss him, miss what he could have brought us. the movies were insanely brilliant, and the book just brings them to life all over again. thank you David.
Zac
Apr 06, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping he'd make a comeback after reading this. I wasn't hoping he'd make crappy phonebook commercials, or whatever that was.
Sara
Did not realize that Warren Beatty was originally going to play Bill

• Your Erroneous Zones
  • Milton's Secret: An Adventure of Discovery through Then, When, and the Power of Now
  • Very Good Lives: The Fringe Benefits of Failure and the Importance of Imagination
  • Very Far Away from Anywhere Else
  • Bianca come il latte, rossa come il sangue
  • Jiu-Jitsu in the South Zone, 1997-2008 (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Brazil)
  • Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs?: And Other Questions About Dead Bodies
  • Touching from a Distance: Ian Curtis and Joy Division
  • Love Is a Mix Tape
  • The Haçienda: How Not to Run a Club
  • Factory: The Story of the Record Label
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • Varla Ventura's Paranormal Parlor: Ghosts, Seanes, and Tales of True Hauntings
  • Lorna (Lorna, #1)
  • The Witches of Eastwick (Eastwick #1)
  • I Live Inside: Memoirs of a Babe in Toyland
  • Kill Creek
  • Voodoo of Louisiana (Mojo's African Magic Book 5)
John Arthur "David" Carradine was an American actor best known for his work in the 1970s television series Kung Fu and more recently in the Kill Bill films. He appeared in more than 100 feature films and was nominated four times for a Golden Globe Award.