Start by marking “The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings” as Want to Read:
The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings

The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings

"This sensitive book . . . encourages young ones to open up and discuss how they feel, even when their thoughts are confusing." —Parents

We teach toddlers to identify colors, numbers, shapes, and letters—but what about their feelings? By illustrating such common emotions as happiness, sadness, anger, fear, and calm, this sensitive book gently encourages young children to
Published September 1st 2015 by Sterling Children's Books (first published December 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Color Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Color Monster

Start your review of The Color Monster: A Pop-Up Book of Feelings
Nancy Kotkin
Text: 1 star
Illustrations: 4 stars

Love the collage-y illustrations of this picture book, but the text has some troubling issues. While it is vital to teach children to identify their emotions, it is just as important to help them understand that it is normal to feel more than one single emotion at a time, even about the same thing/person/idea. furthermore, labeling emotions with specific colors doesn't work as a one-size-fits-all solution, since color is a very personal experience; people feel v
Emma
Oct 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrns
Great pop up book introducing young children to different emotions and moods.
Sarah Coles
This book is engaging from the very front cover, and this only increases with the pop up element. When I read this together with a group of friends, we had a lengthy discussion before we even opened the book about whether there were four monsters or one with different personalities, and therefore able to begin to make predictions about what might happen. Children might enjoy doing the same. Indeed, on the final page the story doesn't explicitly spell out how the monster feels so children can hav ...more
Jon Nakapalau
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic first book on emotions!
Franci
#94 of 2020

I liked the illustrations a lot. The text I had some issues with. But overall, a good children's book.
Mathew
I picked this up and bought it before I had finished reading this book. A little, highly accessible exploration into different feelings that a child can experience and associating them with colours not only teaches children that having these feelings is normal but also that (through the rather wonderful little girl) you never need to be alone when you're experiencing them.
The colour monster, at first, has no way of organising his thinking or feelings and it takes a wiser, more reflective hand,
Sarah Loggia
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This children's book is so cute and colourful! Being an ESL teacher, I am so glad to have gotten my hands on this book. The language is simple and well thought out. This is a great book to teach young students about their emotions. Definitely going to be using this in my classroom! ...more
Fiona Hill
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ks1, picturebooks
Wow, what a monster of a book! Using colours to show different feelings to children, with wonderful pop-up illustrations. This is a must read! Thanks for the recommendation Olivia.H and Mat Tobin.
KC
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story about our emotions and the colors that often represent them.
Shiloah
A fun read aloud at Barnes and Noble. I love books that teach children about their emotions.
Francis
I’m not sure if it’s common, but my five (almost six) year old son has huge emotional blowouts. We are trying to read him different books to help him control his temper. I found this book to be really good! The language they use is super easy for him to understand, plus it’s a pop-up book! And who doesn’t like pop-up books?
Scott Benjamin
A really good book for looking at emotions and regulating emotions.
Vera Godley
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm not particularly fond of monsters. Well, what I mean is monster stories and all the stuff 'n nonsense that goes along with scary, hairy stuff. But I recently had the opportunity to snag two or three "monster" books written for the very young, and I have been delightfully surprised.

In Anna Llenas' The Color Monster: A Pop-up Book of Feelings there is a wonderful presentation in page after page of engaging pop-ups that children will absolutely love. They virtually leap off the page.

What is dou
Tracy Morton
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This would be a great book for a Child and Youth Worker or a parent helping a child learn about emotions. Great pictures.
Samantha
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Colors and the emotions commonly associated with them are explored in this pop-up book in which the Color Monster is helped by a little girl when his emotions become all jumbled up like a scribble drawing.

Pop-ups are fresh and mixed media artwork very effectively communicates each emotion.

PreK-2.
Heydi Smith
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-storytime
An instant favorite! How could you not love this amazing monster whose feelings are colors?

The pop-ups are incredible. This book is sure to be asked for time and again, until it falls apart!

I would pair it with How are you Peeling by Saxton Freymann, I was so Mad by Mercer Mayer, Ophelia by Ingred Schubert, and Wild Feelings by David Milgrim.
Rebecca
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The color monster is a mixed-up mess and sorts his colors (feelings) into jars, and names and describes them with the help of his little-girl pal. I think this could be very useful for kids who get overcome with emotion. It helps to name things.
Gigi
This book takes a look at feelings that can be confusing and hard for kids to name and helps make sense of them. The pop ups are amazing!
Beth
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely gorgeous pop up book that would be a great mentor text to discuss how we associate and describe feelings with colors.
Melanie
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This monster is sorting out his colors, and like a kid, I can't help but love bright, complex pop ups. Yay! ...more
Grace
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of good sight words in this one, she knew recognized blue, red, this, the, like, and, a.
Ashlie Fessenden
Sep 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Color Monster: Anna Llenas

This colorful fiction takes readers on a journey of learning how to express their emotions and how different feelings may be shown or what they may feel like.

The text does a fantastic job using color, texture and shape effects to create an affect on us as we read. From using affiliated colors to represent emotions to using different shapes and lines to put emphasis on the type of feelings we may experience. "Illustration in children's books is meant to delight, to
Joanna
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very funny! And help me to talk about my feelings!
Kerry
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don’t usually rate the children’s picture books that I read but this one is a fantastic tool for helping facilitate naming feelings and sorting through them.
Corina Hoenshell
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
EXCELLENT Book!!!! 💙💙💙
Tallon Dorough
Text-to Teaching Connection
The Color Monster is a great book for teachers to use as a discussion starter about children's emotions. The book discusses many of the different emotions they experience, how they can be dealt with and how confusing they can be. This would could open the door for students to discuss their own feelings and see how they have the same concerns as many of their classmates.
Michelle
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not only is this a sweet story explaining each emotion and how the narrator is helping the color monster sort them out, but the illustrations are these adorable paper cut outs that giving a 3D element to the story, much like Barbara Reid and her Plasticine looks.
McKenzie Richardson
For more reviews, check out my blog: Craft-Cycle

Cute, but also weird. I liked the idea of the Color Monster. At the beginning, his emotions are all mixed up and he doesn't know how he feels. Throughout the book, a little girl (who looks remarkably angry at the beginning when she tells him he's all mixed up- seriously, chill out, kid) helps his sort out his feelings.

I found it a little weird that to do this, they literally bottle his feelings. I think that there had to be a better way to represen
TaNera Rodriguez
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
While at the library reading this, I could picture all of the activities I could do with this book. That being said that's how you know it's a good book. ...more
Maggie Hesseling
A great picture pop-up book about emotions. Beautifully put together and imaginative. It's a great way to start a conversation with a child on emotions and what they are feeling at any given time- what it means to be angry, sad, happy, etc.
But at the same time its the perfect gift for someone who loves beautiful books!

I was incredibly lucky to have it not only read to me but translated at the same time (we found the Portuguese version) and immediately fell in love with the book.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Grumpy Monkey
  • Smelly Louie
  • The Jolly Postman or Other People's Letters
  • Pearl
  • Yo mataré monstruos por ti
  • O Cuquedo
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • The Water Hole
Anna Llenas es licenciada en Publicidad y Relaciones Públicas por la Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona y graduada en Diseño Gráfico por la Escuela Llotja. También tiene formación en Psicología Analítica y un postgrado en Arteterapia. Pasó los primeros años trabajando como diseñadora y directora de arte en las agencias Bassat Ogilvy & Mather y Publicis Casadevall & Pedreño. Pero un día, decidió dej ...more

News & Interviews