Start by marking “Ampersand Revisited” as Want to Read:
Ampersand Revisited

Read Book

Ampersand Revisited

Winner of the 2013 National Poetry Series, selected by Ariana Reines

Berry's Ampersand Revisited is a lurid, lyrical trio of open prose poems marking up the blueprint of familial myth-making.

“Ampersand Revisited is an inverted Odyssey, etched in searing—downright entomological—precision, tracking a father’s retreat from occultism through the wounded meshwork of the son’s ve
Published April 13th 2015 by Fence Books

To ask other readers questions about Ampersand Revisited, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ampersand Revisited

Joseph
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I recently read and reviewed Berry's Monograph which I received through the Univerity of Georgia Press. I ordered Ampersand Revisited immediately after finishing Monograph. Usually, I have so many books to read I rarely order anything myself, but Monograph made enough of an impression on me that I had to read the predecessor.

I was not disappointed at all with Amperstand Revisited. It has the same style and ability to enrapture the reader. This collection covers the poets earlier life, high sch
Phoebe
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I have limited language for describing my experience of reading poetry and poetry chapbooks, so I sometimes don't try because I can't reach what I want to say. However, a few things about "Ampersand Revisited": 1.) Full disclosure - I'm friends with the poet! 2.) Although I knew when I purchased the book, I forgot that my name is mentioned in the acknowledgements. Thanks, Simeon. :-) I'm glad to have supported this work. 3.) Many, many cultural and historical references in these wry, striving, d ...more
Reid
May 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sonorously mesmerizing; aloof yet personal; admirably clever, with some great poetic phrases. The journey, or evolution, or story of struggle and formation of a troubled overly-smart boy from a bad and slightly strange marriage to an etymologically-inclined poet. Not nearly heart warming, but certainly relatable, interesting and worth reading more than twice. I liked it more the first time, its personal confessionary or self-revealing nature, but caught more internal references the second time. ...more
Timothy Deer
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank goodness for the National Poetry Series, ensuring beautiful works such as this one will always have a place in the published world. The imagery in this collection is so thick that your mind noticeably slows at times to appropriately wade through Berry's words. At the risk of judging a book by its cover, the front image sums up the collection well: beautiful, unexpected.
Martin Ott
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! Simeon is one of my favorite poets - line by line there's no one writing today who's more interesting.
secondwomn
Mar 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, poetry, early-review
early review read. this is a book full of surprises - of language, of event, of thought - right to the final page.
Brandon Amico
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just devoured this book. Berry's sentences are fluid and surprising, his insight is diamond-sharp, and the images are delightful. Very original in presentation and content, as well.
Wendy Ortiz
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Burning & beautiful.
Joe
May 19, 2015 added it
Shelves: poetry
A family narrative thru, alternatively, a smoldering occult haze and cool distance of a teenage kid in the privileged cocoon of prep school at least temporarily rocked.

Easy to be impressed by the relentlessly inventive, compressed imagery—

The low afternoon light
solders the sliding glass door
into a slab of gold circuitry,
& you step out cautiously
into the aphasic shapes of
the fallen snow.

Berry creates such as distinct symbolic cthonic(?)/numinous(?) grammar. I know I'll come back to it, but w
Talix A.R. A.R.
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book...I find it hard to even put into words exactly why, but I loved this book.
It's easy to relate to (in my view), it's eccentric yet common and understandable.
I have to say Simeon Berry you have a new fan and as a winner of this book I am honored to have had the privilege to receive Derivative which is also an exceptional piece of work.
Thank you immensely, I will follow you wherever you go!
Keep writing, your incredible

A fellow author
Talix Cross

Wendy Coulter
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've not, as GoodReads puts it, "finished" with Simeon's book. For now, it lives not in my poetry collection but with a small stack of poetry books I choose from & read every day. The sound & the meaning & the line/stanza breaks....it is hard for me to separate out what makes his stuff work so well except for this: his voice.
James Grinwis
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Simeon Berry's work here is a Gandalf wizard sailing around in a desolate Inuit longboat off the shores of a casino laden Caribbean. This is amazing prose poetry and poems. Get is now.
Meg Gee
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Berry's voice and form carry this collection through astral projections, awkward dinners, and sexual trauma. The section breaks have the simultaneous impact of shrinking and expanding his poetic universe. Dig it.
Roxanne
Mar 02, 2015
Jordan
Aug 14, 2015
Will Georges
Oct 22, 2017
Maryan
rated it did not like it
Aug 19, 2016
Anna L
Apr 11, 2015
Philip
Apr 21, 2015
Simeon Berry won the 2013 National Poetry Series for his first collection of poetry, Ampersand Revisited (Fence Books), and the 2014 National Poetry Series for his second book of poetry, Monograph (University of Georgia Press). He has been an Associate Editor for Ploughshares and received a Massachusetts Cultural Council Individual Artist Grant. He lives in Somerville, Massachusetts.
“Every night, just before you fall asleep, other voices start talking amongst themselves in the monochrome waters at the deep end of your brain…” 2 likes
“Long, intense silences follow, which you endure by staring out the window at a lawn so deeply green it looks botanically assassinated…” 1 likes