Start by marking “Gone with the Gin: Cocktails with a Hollywood Twist” as Want to Read:
Gone with the Gin: Cocktails with a Hollywood Twist

Gone with the Gin: Cocktails with a Hollywood Twist

Here’s drinking with you, kid
We know your type. You love the smell of napalm in the morning, you see dead people, and you’re the king (or queen!) of the world. You’ve basically logged more hours at the local megaplex than the projectionist—and you deserve a drink!
A perfect gift for film buffs and a terrific twist on movie nights, Gone with the Gin is the ultimate cocktail
Published October 27th 2015 by Running Press Adult

To ask other readers questions about Gone with the Gin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone with the Gin

Heidi The Hippie Reader
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
An effervescent drink guide that pairs cleverly named potables with classic films. It's a winner!

Last year (or was it the year before), I named Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist, also by Tim Federle, as one of my favorite reads in my annual book review. It's similar to Gone with the Gin, except that Tequila Mockingbird uses classic literary works instead of film.

Federle has a way with puns and summarizing complex plots in three sentences or less without devolving into the unbe
paula
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
At some point in each of Tim Federle's cocktail books, one of the puns makes me burst out laughing. This time I didn't make it further than the Introduction: "Close Encounters of the Slurred Kind" - THAT is funny. Plus it could be the title of my autobiography, circa 1987-1994.
Dawn
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
While this is actually a recipe book the commentary on the movies each drink is based on is what makes this worth reading. Like his other book, Tequila Mockingbird, Federle is quick-witted and sometimes laugh-out-loud funny with his comments. I read this like a regular book from cover to cover.
Crystal
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Worthwhile for the drink puns alone. The Muppets Make Manhattans, Sloppy in Seattle, Mrs. Stout-Fire, Bloody Mary Poppins-yay!
Farah
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Great book, with an introduction that includes descriptions of glassware, equipment, techniques and describes different types of alcohol. The names are all based on movie names and are very fun! It also includes a short description of the movie. Instructions for making the drink are detailed. Includes all the basic cocktails plus some I haven't seen before. There is also a short section on snack recipes (also based on movie titles) as well as some drinking games. This is a great book to have on ...more
Brenda
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a neat idea for the drink book! I love the names & ingredients for the drinks and the little quips about them all. I am giving this to a fella who lives in Vegas and I am sure that it will become messed up from the mixing of the drinks.
Mary Kinietz
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. Great ides for movie night. We went to do this with friends - pick a movie and cocktail each month and work our way through the book. My husband said, "...but we don't have friends who like cocktails, they like to drink the same thing over and over." I said, "We need new friends!"
Julie H.
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Gone with the Gin: Cocktails with a Hollywood Twist is the perfect read for anyone who loves cocktails and/or movies. The book opens with introductory sections on tools, techniques, and terminology, graduates to movie-themed cocktails (arranged by genres), onward to movie-related munchies, and even drinking games (Danger! Danger! The Pulp Fiction one will get you snookered in no time.). There's something here for virtually everyone. We plan to work our way through many of them along with their c ...more
Jenny T.
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, non-fiction
Here's a humorous recipe book for cocktails with a movie theme. I enjoyed how the author tried to match the ingredients of each drink to the movie's storyline. I read this book before giving to my friend, Ann, for her birthday. A great gift for drinking & movie watching buddies.
Marie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, cookbook, nonfic
Fun! This is a "cookbook" of mixed drinks that all tie to classic movies! Every Friday night is Date Night at our house. Most of the time the frugal Harris' stay in and watch a movie together. HOW FUN to drink cocktails that match the movie! One was for a drink to match The Big Lebowski, which we watch (probably way too) often. (It actually wasn't all that stellar. But it was still fun to make and try!) I also tried the "Bloody Mary Poppins" and "The Gimlet of Fire." The Mary Poppins one was dow ...more
Rachel
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
"This book is intended for people 21 and over who know the difference between Robert De Niro and Al Pacino."
Mary
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quirky and fun concept. Can’t wait to try some of these.
Heidi Holtan
Nov 19, 2015 is currently reading it
We'll talk with Tim Federle TOMORROW on KAXE/KBXE - 8:40am, CST - listen in www.kaxe.org.

I'm SO enjoying prepping for this interview - tonight I'll try The Big Le-BREWski!It involves vodka, cold-brewed coffee and cream of coconut!
Lisa
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
If I drank I would totally be all over this book. It all sounded so good and the titles were fun and thoughtful.
Leigh Hinton-Ridling
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Clever titles and summaries but I wasn't interested in watching most of the movies. Maybe I'll try some of the recipes.
Tim Federle
May 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
AJ
  • The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook: A Treasury of Timeless, Delicious Recipes
  • Shake: A New Perspective On Cocktails
  • New Venture Creation: Entrepreneurship for the 21st Century
  • The Book Lover's Cookbook
  • The Truck Food Cookbook: 150 Recipes and Ramblings from America's Best Restaurants on Wheels
  • In Defense of the Princess: How Plastic Tiaras and Fairytale Dreams Can Inspire Smart, Strong Women
  • Publishing for Profit: Successful Bottom-Line Management for Book Publishers
  • Walking the Kiso Road: A Modern-Day Exploration of Old Japan
  • In Her Kitchen: Stories and Recipes from Grandmas Around the World
  • The B Word: Bisexuality in Contemporary Film and Television
  • Y Is for Yorick: A Slightly Irreverent Shakespearean ABC Book for Grown-Ups
  • It's a Punderful Life: A fun collection of puns and wordplay
  • Kombucha Revolution: 75 Recipes for Homemade Brews, Fixers, Elixirs, and Mixers
  • Leaving China: An Artist Paints His World War II Childhood
  • The Wagamama Cookbook [With DVD]
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
Tim Federle is an award-winning writer whose works include the New York Times notable books "The Great American Whatever" and "Better Nate Than Ever," the global bestseller "Tequila Mockingbird: Cocktails with a Literary Twist," and the Tony-nominated Broadway musical "Tuck Everlasting."

A native of San Francisco who grew up in Pittsburgh, Tim now divides his time between New York City and the inte