Start by marking “The Devil's Financial Dictionary” as Want to Read:
The Devil's Financial Dictionary

The Devil's Financial Dictionary

Your Survival Guide to the Hades of Wall Street

The Devil's Financial Dictionary skewers the plutocrats and bureaucrats who gave us exploding mortgages, freakish risks, and banks too big to fail. And it distills the complexities, absurdities, and pomposities of Wall Street into plain truths and aphorisms anyone can understand.

An indispensable survival guide to the hostile
Published October 20th 2015 by PublicAffairs (first published October 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil's Financial Dictionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil's Financial Dictionary

Start your review of The Devil's Financial Dictionary
Evan
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
This was pretty good. I was listening to Patrick O'Shaughnessy's podcast interview with Jason Zweig and thought it sounded good. I also like Zweig's columns in the WSJ, so I got the book. I would say that the overarching point of this book is the folly of expecting to beat the market. Whether through individual trading or trying to pick a winning fund manager, the odds are against the average investor beating the market, but the odds are high the fund manager will make money - lots of it over ...more
Devdutt
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Zweig is entertaining, sarcastic and honest and his vast knowledge along with the creative illustrations makes this dictionary a must read for financial professionals - although it should be mandatory for anyone having anything to do with money.

If you want to know why he calls your portfolio manager a sheep or a day trader an idiot or a sophisticated investor an oxymoron; why is it only human to be biased and why the hindsight bias may have nothing to do with the hind protection; why would
Kanishka Sirdesai
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hilarious book which describes financial lingo through alphabets. A real page turner which made me laugh and smile a lot. Felt sad when I reached the end. Thank you Mr Zweig for enlightening us!
Ron
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoughtful, though cynical, discussion of a wide variety of issues involved in investing one's money with brokers and traders associated with "Wall Street," the American financial industry. The main warnings are to be aware that the real goal of brokers and traders is to maximize their own fees and commisions, and one's financial activity should be calibrated to minimize payment of those commisions and fees by understanding one's investments, buying to hold, trading minimally, and being able ...more
Tom Hill
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource for anyone who is involved in investing. With smart humor, Jason Zweig explains all the jargon used on Wall Street to relieve the uninformed investor of his money. Anyone who uses a financial advisor needs to read this book before they even sit down to discuss a financial plan.
Cashinstinct
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Difficult to read alphabatically.

Definitions are funny and true, but I don't see how I could read such book from beginning to end... unsure how I was supposed to read all material of the book.

I could not finish it.
James
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really fun and entertaining book for someone who knows the financial sector, a lot of sarcasm thrown around and easy to read
D
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Many literally laugh out loud moments.
Amit
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Smarty pants look at Wall St. and financial markets.
Miguel
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: investing
Full review can be found here:
Nazar
Oct 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Jason Zweig's writing style. His relentless cynicism about the financial industry puts it into perspective.

In his attempt to humorously criticize and point out the worst of an industry or profession he leaves no one behind. Being a financial journalist himself he has no shame in describing a financial journalist as "someone who is an expert at moving words about markets around on a page or screen until they sound impressive, regardless of whether they mean anything."

Not only is the book
Kent Winward
Dec 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
"The Devil's Financial Dictionary" by Jason Zweig. Humorous at times, i.e. for the definition of "Idiot" it said, "See Day Trader." Although a dictionary of humor it is also accurate, based in part off of Ambrose Bierce's "Devil's Dictionary" and in part on financial illeteracy, from which much of the humor is derived.
Khaleel
May 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A somewhat informative not hilariously funny dictionary of financial terms (commonly used jargon and other important words one will hear in relation to finance and the stock market). I didn't find it too be that funny or that informative but I do come from a finance background. The sarcasm gets a bit tedious. Overall it's not bad but I didn't particularly enjoy it.
Samuel
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
It's not at the level of Ambrose Bierce (author of the original Devil's Dictionary), but it's still an entertaining read. I find much financial and economic information unfathomable, but I actually learned a fair amount from the bite-sized chunks in this book.
Ben Labe
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
Far less witty than Bierce's original. Moderately entertaining coffee table fodder.
David Holt
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilariously Ambrosian (or Biercian, depending).
Not overly kind to day traders.
Shouldn't be.
Rayfes Mondal
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quite humorous and a must read for anyone that invests in the market or deals with financial professionals
Jeff G
Apr 08, 2017
Marko
Nov 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • The Success Equation
  • Thinking in Bets: Making Smarter Decisions When You Don't Have All the Facts
  • Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets
  • The Behavioral Investor
  • How to Boost Your Physical and Mental Energy
  • The Little Book of Bulletproof Investing: Do's and Don'ts to Protect Your Financial Life
  • When Genius Failed: The Rise and Fall of Long-Term Capital Management
  • Devil Take the Hindmost: A History of Financial Speculation
  • Barbarians at the Gate: The Fall of RJR Nabisco
  • Firefighting: The Financial Crisis and Its Lessons
  • How to Think Like Einstein: Simple Ways to Break the Rules and Discover Your Hidden Genius
  • The Dictator's Handbook: Why Bad Behavior is Almost Always Good Politics
  • Seeking Wisdom: From Darwin To Munger
  • NEGRO NA RÚSSIA: Sexo, Racismo e Futebol... No País Mais Odiado Do Mundo [Ebook]
  • Guia Suno Small Caps: Investindo em empresas com os maiores potenciais da Bolsa
  • Guia politicamente incorreto dos presidentes da república
  • Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“Every profession is a conspiracy against the laity, and every profession’s jargon is meant to confuse and exclude those who aren’t part of the guild.” 0 likes