Start by marking “The Liar” as Want to Read:
The Liar

The Liar

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  27,625 Ratings  ·  2,430 Reviews
The extraordinary new novel by the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of The Collector.

Shelby Foxworth lost her husband. Then she lost her illusions …

The man who took her from Tennessee to an exclusive Philadelphia suburb left her in crippling debt. He was an adulterer and a liar, and when Shelby tracks down his safe-deposit box, she finds multiple IDs. The man she
Published April 16th 2015 by Piatkus (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about The Liar, please sign up.
Holly Mcphail I actually liked this book alot. Callie was an adorable little girl and the plot kept you thinking. I have read every book that Nora Roberts has…moreI actually liked this book alot. Callie was an adorable little girl and the plot kept you thinking. I have read every book that Nora Roberts has written as herself and as J.D. Robb and have loved everyone. Sometimes they are slightly like an earlier book but with a different twist to them so you can't say they are exactly like her older stories.(less)

Alex is The Romance Fox
3,5 stars
PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE MAY BE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW!

I have been a fan of Nora Roberts since the first Mills & Boon’s book I read in the 80’s. She’s become my favorite romance author of all time and I actually have one bookcase, filled with over 200 NR books, in my bedroom “dedicated” to her. I have reread a lot of her books over and over again. What makes her books so special and unforgettable for me? The portrayal of her characters – they’re genuine, relatable and real life.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Shelby's life is in ruin. Her husband is dead, leaving her with debts and it seems he wasn't the man she thought he was when she married him. Even his name seems to be false. So, she packs everything she still owns and returns to her hometown with her daughter. But it seems that someone is out there watching her every move and soon her peaceful hometown will not be so peaceful anymore...

Before last year I had only read one Nora Roberts book, which to be honest feels a bit odd when you think abou
Blacky *Romance Addict*

Griff is just sheer perfection <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Loved it, even though I wish it didn't take so long for him to appear, but oh well :DD
Jilly
I think you will like this one if you are familiar with the South. This is set there and you could practically feel the mosquitoes biting you, hear the cicada bugs buzzing, and feel your make-up melting off from the humidity.

Okay, and yes, the smell of homophobia in the morning. No place is perfect.

Our heroine, Shelby, just lost her douchbag of a Yankee husband and came back South a single mother with her sweet little girl, Callie. Almost immediately, she meets Griff, who was also a Yankee, but
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover Reviews  ❤️
Review posted to: http://www.sweptawaybyromance.com/201...

4 Stars!!

Shelby is a twenty four year old widow who is shocked to learn that her husband lead a double life, a life that left her in staggering debt and many, many unanswered questions about the man she married.....

When her world seems to be crashing around her, her only thought is that she needs to get home to Tennesse. She needs surround herself and her sweet little girl Callie with her loving family and lifelong friends.

While trying
Jonetta
Shelby Pomeroy Foxworth is recently widowed and finding that her husband wasn't who he presented himself to be. She and her three-year old daughter, Callie, are now saddled with enormous debt instead of the wealth she thought she was inheriting. Shelby returns to her hometown in the foothills of Tennessee to recreate her life, re-establish relationships with family and friends and start anew. She gets the attention of Griff Lott, a building contractor, whose bowled over by her and her daughter. ...more
Erica
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I think Nora Roberts' romantic suspense novels are no longer romantic nor suspenseful. She spends more pages on people's jobs and houses than she does on anything, and after the third conversation in twenty pages in which the protagonist explains the same thing to someone (I've been taking online coursesI I'm going to start a small business!) I stopped caring what happened to her or her wonderful family or their beautiful houses and fulfilling careers. There was so little conflict that I got bor ...more
Oana
DNF @ 38%

I'm bored. Maybe because I really don't care as much as Ms. Roberts seems to do about the proper colour of the walls and of the cabinets.
Jacob Proffitt
This book makes me sad. But not for any of the obvious reasons. I liked the main characters immensely. And the pacing is good, the setting tremendous (I can't think of anybody who does Southern small town as well as Roberts), and the side characters fantastic. Let me elaborate on the good before I get to the sad, because I want to give this book its due.

Shelby and Griff were fantastic. I loved them both, both individually and what they became together. Their interactions skirted the ideal a bit,
Alp
3.25/5

I had high hopes of this one. The blurb itself made this book sound very promising. But unfortunately, it didn't live up to its potential.

The plot was too predictable and the suspense part was a bit weak. Some of the twists came as no surprise to me. The main villain of this story came across more like an absurd person or maybe a lunatic than a calculating or sly one. And about two main characters...I think the hero was ok for the most part. I neither liked nor disliked him though. The he
Kim
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
**2.5 stars**

I know this is a work of fiction, but there were too many unrealistic things happening for me to take it seriously. First of all no one is declared dead within months of going missing...NO ONE! It takes seven years for that to happen. Secondly, debt is not inherited. I don't care how good of a person you are, you're not going to take on millions in debt for someone who was - at a minimum - a liar and a cheat. It's just not going to happen. Thirdly, were Shelby's clothes dipped in go
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
There’s a reason why Nora Roberts is indisputably one of the most popular writers in the world. Her experience is enormous and her self-assuredness is evident on every page. Calling her a skilled storyteller is a bit of an understatement. Roberts is much more than that, she is the queen of genre fiction and as such, she can do no wrong.

The Liar is a fabulous example of everything I love in her books. She easily combines mystery, small town drama, a wonderful community and a delightful romance.
Vicki
May 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book by Nora Roberts reminds me how much I enjoy her suspenseful storytelling. Her characters have humor, personalities and wonderful charm. This book is about a southern woman that has recently lost her husband in a boating accident. It is not long after the death that she begins to find out discrepancies in what his life. Missing money, secret procedures, and even a few more unusual revelations.

The story grabs you and twines you into the most confusing and potentially dangerous life if S
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
The Liar was my first ever Nora Roberts, and will probably be my last. The Liar was offered to me as a psychological thriller......which it most definitely isn't.

It is a pretty schmaltzy romance with a little bit of, well I can't even really say suspense, because for me it just wasn't suspenseful at all.

The beginning was interesting.....Shelby Foxworth loses her husband in a boating accident. Then she loses all her illusions - an outwardly wealthy man, he owned nothing and left her with a mounta
Christa
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
I thought The Liar was Nora Roberts at her best. The book has superb characters that I cared about from the beginning. The two main characters, Shelby and Griffin, were for me some of Robert's most easy to relate to yet, and Callie was simply delightful. There was an entire slew of wonderful secondary characters, as well as a couple of those that readers love to hate. The storyline captured my attention right away, and I was entranced until I finished the book. I loved the Tennessee mountain set ...more
Olga
Oct 05, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No he podido con el...Mira que me gusta Nora Roberts y he leido mucho ( y bueno) de ella pero este libro es infumable.... No puedo darle ni una estrella porque la historia no me ha enganchado, la protagonista uffff ,no se por donde cogerla, la historia de amor es demasiado rapida y se pasa mas de la mitad del libro contando las aventuras y desventuras de un pueblo sureño de America,para llegar a un final precipitado ( y muy previsible)....
Mandy
LOVED this book! Griff is the ultimate book boyfriend and Shelby was a fantastic heroine. I loved Griff's interactions with Shelby's daughter, I loved the small town setting and I loved the suspense. This is my favorite book by this author! Loved it!
Linda
THE LIAR contained plenty of elements found in a typical Nora Roberts novel: a strong female with a vulnerable side because of a traumatic past. The story itself was a soap-opera powerhouse but it was very formulaic. There was plenty of family interfering in their good-natured way. An over-protective brother. An ooey-gooey, sweetie-pie three-year-old. Plus a grandmother that oozes sage wisdom and the heroine's ultra-modern thinking mother.

Then there was Shelby. I mentioned earlier that she was
Joy (joyous reads)
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Whenever I feel the onset of boredom from whatever book I'm reading, I tend to turn to Romantic Suspense to jump start my waning interest. Now, my conventional drug is Sandra Brown, but I've always been interested in other authors who are a household name in this genre. Like, Nora Roberts, for example. I haven't had much experience with her books. Aside from a couple of her In Death books (which I loved), I've not had the chance to read anything from her extensive library. This week, I finally d ...more
Rikke
Apr 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readin2015
You know when you start to read a book, and it's not really that good - but you continue reading it, while thinking "It might get better".
Well, this one don't.

It's an extremely flat storyline, filled with pathetic stereotyped characters - who is not even the slightly bit likeable.
The entire book is predictable and boring, and how this ever got to be on New York Times bestseller list will forever be a mystery to me.
Jacqueline
I generally enjoy Ms. Roberts' once a year romantic suspense book. This one was okay but not a favorite. I felt that both the romance and the suspense portions were underdone. Somehow it never developed much tension in the suspense portion. There was no real sense of any danger to the heroine and I did guess the ending from the very first. The romance was nice but rather tepid. I enjoyed the interaction between the hero and the heroine's little girl.
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
I really struggled to finish this book. The story was interesting, I suppose, but I’m not sure I even liked the heroine, the way everyone just loved her (except the jealous school mate ones who did criminal acts to get back at her after she’s been away for years) and she was just so perfect, except she ran off with someone she didn’t know, ditched her perfect small town family and got married without them to a controlling, mentally abusive shit, had a kid, let him run roughshod over her and she ...more
Ezinwanyi
If you have read Nora Roberts before then this is a typical Nora Roberts book. First of all, she has written very similar novels so I figured out what was going to occur almost immediately. She seems to love those naive heroines that have to grow up and find their spine by the end of the book while also finding love.

In this book, I was baffled at how unaware Shelby was. When her husband died, and she started finding out all his lies and deceptions, all I could think was "that's one dumb chick"!
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Okay
Rating: NC-17
Thumbs Up: 4.5
Overall: Really enjoyed this one
Characters: Well Written
Plot: Overcoming bad choices
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? N/A
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Griff

SUMMARY (60 words or less)
I knew from page one what would happen by the end and I was right. I didn’t really waver from that reality as I read. However, it didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the story at all. I even found myself tearing up at the HEA ending. Perfect.

For a full review an
Cyndi
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story! Great characters!! I listened to the audio so my Southern accent got thicker. Lol!
Shelby learns that the man she married was not who she thought he was. She is a strong character and a great mom. Shelby brings her little girl home to Tennessee where her loving family and colorful friends in the small town take care of her.
When Griff sees her it's love at first sight. When he meets her little girl, it's cemented. His character is kind, handsome and thoughtful. When Nora puts
Mojca
When her husband dies, Shelby Foxworth learns the life she's been living for the past four years had been a lie, and the husband she thought she knew (and loved) had been a liar. So she decides to take her life back, take herself back, and leaves Philadelphia for her hometown with her three-year-old daughter in tow, and a mountain of debt on her shoulders.

She'll soon learn (again), there's no better cure than family, and no better hope than love. But sometimes things are not as they seem, and sh
Freda Malone
Feb 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a down home country feeling novel that takes place in a small town in Tennessee. There is quite a bit of lineage here with daughter, mother, grandma, great grandma, son, father, grandfather and greats. Some history that comes with it. As far back as a great great grandfather who shot his 3rd cousin for taking his wife. I love that country feeling and it doesn't stop there. A romantic suspense and mystery with a contemporary setting, in the 21st century that produces hunky guys as carpent ...more
Heidi
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars: A good romantic suspense that has a cozy/ chick lit feel.

Shelby is doing her best to keep her head above water. It has been a little over two months since her husband drown in a boating accident, leaving behind a mountain of debt and a trail of lies. Shelby is shocked to find that her entire life with Richard was a lie. Now she is facing insurmountable debt, but Shelby is a fighter. She sells off as much as she can and heads home to Rendezvous Ridge, Tennessee, where she hopes to reb
☕ Kimberly
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the things I adore about Roberts is her ability to weave all the elements I love into a tightly crafted tale. I get to experience a range of emotions from worried, curiosity, laughter and even tears. The Liar is the perfect example of her writing at its finest.

Our story centers on Shelly Foxworth, a young woman who was courted by a charismatic man, married him and gave birth to a beautiful daughter. When her husband died after less than five years of marriage, she begins to realize that E
Debra
For a more detailed review, please check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
2018 Beyond the C...: Book Review 4: The Liar 1 1 Jun 08, 2018 07:53AM
DISREGARD BOOK COVER.. looking for a book i've read now can't find.. please help 2 22 Dec 30, 2017 07:02AM
Play Book Tag: The Liar - Nora Roberts - 4 stars 2 13 Jul 25, 2016 10:03AM
Nora Roberts Grou...: Buddy Read - The Liar 39 41 Mar 30, 2016 12:54PM
Nora Roberts Grou...: The Liar - (Spoiler Zone) 112 108 Jul 30, 2015 10:46AM
  • Devoted in Death (In Death, #41)
  • Trust No One
  • Hush
  • Troublemaker (GO-Team, #1)
  • Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (I-Team #7.5)
  • Virtue Falls (Virtue Falls #1)
  • On Thin Ice (Ice, #6)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
More about Nora Roberts

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“It’s always seemed to me things are more exciting when you’re not looking and you find them.” 2 likes
“a man who could tell that terrible lie, live with that terrible lie, had something missing inside him.” 2 likes