Start by marking “The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life” as Want to Read:
The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life

The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life

Prevent or reverse taco deficiency. Get that fresh taco-y feeling with over 75 seriously tasty vegan recipes.

Tired of the same old cleanse? Instead of feeling rejuvenated are you feeling depleted, anxious, and cranky? (Not to mention . . . hungry?) A group of vegan taco scientists in Austin, Texas, know just how you feel, and now reveal their one-of-a-kind cleansing jour
Published December 1st 2015 by The Experiment

To ask other readers questions about The Taco Cleanse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Taco Cleanse

Start your review of The Taco Cleanse: The Tortilla-Based Diet Proven to Change Your Life
Heidi The Reader
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Deciding what to eat for dinner was becoming a drag, but luckily for me, the library has an enormous foodie section. I dug through the cookbook collection and discovered this gem- The Taco Cleanse. Part satire, part traditional recipes, The Taco Cleanse makes you laugh while you prepare delicious, vegan eats.

From the copyright page: "This book contains the opinions and ideas of its authors, plus large quantities of total BS. Although the recipes are intended to be accurate and tasty, all other c
Yodamom
May 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hahahahahaha, vegan, tacos
I am officially the Taco Queen

I know that just about everything tastes better in taco form. It's just the way it is, accept it. I saw this book advertised online and bought it without reading more than the title. How could I not love it ? I was right in buying it, I love it ! Yes, that strong taco kind of love feeling deep down in my taco shaped heart.
The recipes are vegan, hold on now, these recipes will make your mouth water for more. Excellent spices, combos and all around delicious dishes fo
Barb
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am not a vegetarian, but just had to read The Taco Cleanse due to the clever title. Yes, there is a good bit of tongue-in-cheek humor, which I thoroughly enjoyed. But, there are a lot of really great recipes, too!

I obtained a copy from NetGalley for review purposes, but I loved the book so much that I purchased a copy for my kitchen and recommended it to my library's cookbook selector.

Some of the recipes use meat substitutes, so I can easily sub in actual meat and the recipes will be good fo
Matthew Printz
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got to see an early proof of the book (disclaimer, I have a crossword being published in it).
I didn't get a chance to make any of the recipes, but the photos look really enticing.

The biggest surprise though, was that it's really funny. REALLY funny.

You know that guy/gal at the office that's always going on about toxins and cleanses and the like. This book just perfectly skewers all that craziness in a way that is both hilarious and body/health/soul positive. It makes fun, but in a way that man
Kristin
I absolutely loved this book. It is laugh-out-loud funny. But, it's more than just funny, it is highly satirical. If you've ever read a diet book or cleanse book before, you will recognize all the tropes.

In all seriousness, this book--more than anything else I've ever read--snapped me out of the diet mentality. Realizing how ridiculous all the cleanse and diet books really are was an a-ha moment for me. It's not that I didn't know, but someone making fun of them in this way tweaked the paradigm
Mairead
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amusing and well done. Also the recipes look delicious--especially want to try: making our own corn tortillas, wake and shake scramble, and cilantro avocado tranquility sauce.
Nancy
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun cookbook with a bonus helping of satire!
missy jean
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Clearly the best cookbook ever written. 100 stars.
Cassandra
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is silly & a fun read. I read all the front matter & the stuff in back it was so enjoyable. The authors have a great sense of humor & an awesome obsession with tacos. I don't know if I'd make a lot of the recipes but I'm not a vegan either. I did like some of the basic recipes for homemade re fried beans & salsa; those ill try. ...more
Tara
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very fun book with more than just delicious recipes. I bought a copy for my taco loving sister for her birthday and read through it before I gave it to her, definitely should have purchased two as I'll need one for my own bookshelf as well.
Amy
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These are my people! The biting sarcasm of the authors along with their over-the-top love of veggies, tacos, and margaritas makes me feel at one with the world. Perfect book for smart asses who love food.
Shannon
May 10, 2016 marked it as to-read
this book has been listed as "in transit" from faraway library to near library, for like a week now. you ok, book? i desperately need this cleanse. i am full of toxins (all non taco food is essentially garbage). godspeed, book. I'll wait for you.
Rhonda Lomazow
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious take on cleanses .Right a taco cleanse I laughed got hungry reading the recipes which look delicious.A really yummy way to cleanse.
Anna
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. My first five-star review of 2016. The tone is perfect, it captures bizarre cleanse diets perfectly. Bonus: the recipies are legit and reading the book made me miss Austin so much!
Diana S
3.5 ★★★
I wouldn't consider it a cleanse but more of a taco education. Funny! Some good recipes! Drink recipes are yummy!
Maeve
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This is such a playful book.
Sonia Reppe
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, texas
I found this to be a refreshing new approach to taco dieting. The authors are from Austin, Texas, where tacos are plentiful, so I trust their expertise. Like them, I am also fortunate to live in a taco-centric town, (Chicago--home of Milagro tortilla factory) and I believe in a tortilla-based diet. I pretty much live it everyday.

Their vegan approach takes the taco diet philosophy to the next level. I love vegetarian tacos, but have yet to try vegan cheeses or meats. This book definitely inspire
Dundee Library
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
The title brought me in because I love tacos (well, pretty much all Mexican food) and even the thought of a traditional cleanse is well, eewww). The pages prior to the recipes are entertaining and made me laugh. As I am not a vegetarian or vegan most of the ingredients will not make it into my kitchen (even if I could find them), but I did copy a few of the ones that were simpler with more basic ingredients that were easily found or that can be substituted. It is important to remember that when ...more
Janka H.
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vegan Taco cooking.

I like that the recipes and their steps are quite simply explained and detailed (even if I would love more photos, as there is not every dish photographed).
I would like to try these recipes:
Bright Light Baja Slaw
Cilantro-avocado Tranquility Sauce
Limitless H
Roxanne Staveness
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting idea. For vegetarians this has some creative choices. I don't think I could do all tacos all the time but found many of the recipes appealing. Liked that it allowed type of tortilla a person likes, I much prefer flour. My favorite last minute is the breakfast taco consisting of peanut butter, some breakfast cereal, and a warmed up tortilla - fold once and press down!
Nicole
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny and lighthearted cookbook with some great recipes, for vegans and non vegans alike. I borrowed this one from the public library but I’ll probably procure myself a copy in the near future. Oh what a life it would be to eat tacos for every meal.
Jamie Mauldin
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As someone who lives in the southwest, this really appealed to me. Who knew there were so many ways to make vegan tacos? All satire aside, there are some great recipes in here.
Christine
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This has some interesting ideas that I might try to add into a meal
Summer
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Really funny, lots of recipes, just not for me.
BookBec
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: food
As humor writing, this is great!
As a cookbook, it ranges from tasty to far-fetched. Plus I'm not vegan, so I'm not the right audience.
Chanelle
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This may very well be the greatest book of our generation.
Scott Hendrickson
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was the most hilarious cookbook I have ever read. I now taco cleanse and supplement as often as I can. Delicious, super healthy, fun, and easy recipes.
Erin
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is both funny and has amazing recipes for vegan tacos! This is a cleanse I can yotally get behind! I don't think I've ever laughed out loud while reading a cookbook, this was a first!
Lesley
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picks, cookbook
I have made 80% of the recipes. We had taco week. Everything is great!
Stephanie Behl
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funny commentary with tasty recipes that are easy to prepare, require typical ingredients, and taste good!

• Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Vegan Richa's Everyday Kitchen: Epic Anytime Recipes with Worlds of Flavor
  • I Can Cook Vegan
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • The Real Food Daily Cookbook: Really Fresh, Really Good, Really Vegetarian
  • Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way
  • Rawsome Vegan Baking: An Un-cookbook for Raw, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Beautiful and Sinfully Sweet Cookies, Cakes, Bars & Cupcakes
  • The Non-Dairy Evolution Cookbook: A Modernist Culinary Approach to Plant-Based, Dairy Free Foods
  • Running with scissors
  • BISH BASH BOSH!: Your Favourites. All Plants
  • Vegan Casseroles: Pasta Bakes, Gratins, Pot Pies, and More
  • The Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to Feeling Great, Losing Weight, and Saving the Planet
  • Vedge: 100 Plates Large and Small That Redefine Vegetable Cooking
  • Paleo Vegan: Plant-Based Primal Recipes
  • Teff Love: Adventures in Vegan Ethiopian Cooking
  • Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction
  • Chloe's Vegan Desserts: More than 100 Exciting New Recipes for Cookies and Pies, Tarts and Cobblers, Cupcakes and Cakes--and More!

News & Interviews

“Please take a moment to answer this questionnaire and discover if you can benefit from a Taco Cleanse: Do you experience recurring feelings of hunger on a daily basis? Do you frequently lack access to eating utensils such as forks or chopsticks? Do you consider tortillas to function as edible napkins? Do you enjoy attention from peers based on dietary restrictions? Do you experience a range of emotions? Do you tilt your head when inserting food into your mouth? Do you use medical websites to self-diagnose your symptoms? Answering yes to any of these questions may indicate that a Taco Cleanse is right for you.” 4 likes