Start by marking “The Long Ride Home” as Want to Read:
The Long Ride Home

Read Book* *Different edition

The Long Ride Home

(Blackfeet Nation #1)

He came in search of his missing horse…and wound up losing his heart.

David Parsons is on the verge of making his pro rodeo dreams come true when his one-in-a-million rope horse, Muddy, goes missing. In the aftermath, David loses everything. His career, his fiancée, his pride.

Four years later, David is clawing his way out of the ruins and back up the rankings when he ge

Published February 3rd 2015 by Samhain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Long Ride Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Long Ride Home

Start your review of The Long Ride Home
Alison
Rodeo star David Parsons had success within his grasp, then a night of minor indulgence results in disaster. Four years later he's hit rock bottom and is a long way on the path to dragging himself back to being a contender but without his champion horse Muddy he can't reach the heights he did previously. Then a friend calls and says he's seen Muddy. For the first time in four years David feels optimistic; until he meets Muddy's new owners.

I really like Mira Lynn Dell's novels, not too schmaltzy,
Tonya Lucas
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever had that one horse or special pet, that was so amazing, beyond comprehension? That one companion you never dreamed would no longer be by your side? You were a team, destined for greatness. Until all was lost.
David Parson has it all, the best roping horse, drawing checks with every run, and a shot at the NFR. Muddy, a small brown gelding and nothing special to look at, but man can he start, stop, and get back, a ropers dream.
The Long Road Home, I can't put into words how moving, c
Glenda Kinard
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
WOW!! What an emotional packed book!! Kari Lynn Dell is one talented gifted writer! This book was amazing. I loved how she took up subjects few authors venture out into. When I get asked again to name a book that profoundly touched your heart the answer without hesitation will definitely be The Long Ride Home by Kari Lynn Dell. I love the fact that this book was more than a romance it covered so many things. Especially loved how she wrote a true to life aspect of what life is like for some Nativ ...more
Linda
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'll say up front I am not a reader of romance books; The Long Ride Home is a romance book of sorts but it is so much more. Kari Lynn Dell knows of what she writes and immediately draws the reader in with a vivid description of a rodeo cowboy and his horse during a calf roping event. You'll feel as though you are sharing the ride. As the story progresses the author takes the reader to the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in north central Montana and captures with a sure knowledge the land,the people ...more
Fiona Lowe

This book is a romance with a difference. Written entirely from the hero's point of view, we follow David the cowboy and rodeo champion through a low phase of his life as he fights to get his horse back. Set in the grassy plains of Montana with the spectacular Rocky Mountains in the background, this book is sweet and the romance a slow build. Kari Lynn Dell's writing is smooth and evocative. If you love a cowboy romance and fabulous rodeo descriptions you'll enjoy this novel.

Disclaimer: the auth
Laura Drake
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like my romances 'real' - real emotion, real people, in real situations. This book dealt that in spades. You can tell the author knows about rodeo, and the beautiful country that is the book's setting. Really enjoyed it being told from a man's point of view - that was refreshing.

It wasn't just a sappy romance - there were real problems, from drought, to Down's and Childhood alcohol syndrome, to the problems of being raised on 'the rez'.

A book that will stick with me. I highly recommend it.
Linda Broday
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book about a cowboy's struggle to get his roping horse back. Even after he finds who has it, getting it from the boy rips his heart out. Things aren't always black and white and love isn't always easy to hold onto. An excellent story that will tug at your heart.
Becca
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love books that take me back to my childhood full of rodeo days and the plains of the north. Last Chance Rodeo takes on that journey and I loved every minute of it.

David finally is reaching the peak of his rodeo career. With a horse that is an extension of himself, he is finally bringing in the wins to shine in the rodeo circuit. But with one small indulgence, he loses his beloved gelding and now four years later he finds himself at rock bottom, having lost everything he held dear.

When he get
Pelusa Rivera
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is about a horse, yes and no. The story starts with David Parsons and he seems to have it all, and then his hose goes missing and he loses it all his luck seems to have changed. On a quest to find Muddy he hears that he is a reservation and when he goes to find it he ends finding more than just his horse Muddy. And then the story really begins there is heartbreak, lots of feeling and learning of others and acceptance..The story was not what I thought but it was a lot and goodness..

Rcvd
Stephanie Jenkins Ortiz Cerrillo
Another great read from Kari Lynn Dell. Kari Lynn has such an awesome writing skill at describing everything her characters are doing and seeing as well as the surrounding landscape so that you can picture everything in your head like your watching a movie.

One of my favorite things about this book is that it involves a special needs young man and his daily struggles and frustration of his situation. This is the first book I've read that has a character that suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome
Marissa
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads Autograph Copy Win

Four years ago, David Parsons seemed to have it all. A promising rodeo career, a pretty fiancée until his horse goes missing one evening. Everything changed quickly as his luck turned as he still searches for his horse Muddy.
When a sighting of Muddy appears in a Montana’s Blackfeet Indian Reservation, he goes an investigate the scene. Finding it to be his beloved Muddy, his reunion turns to be complicated as he cannot just swoop in and take back his beloved horse.

Mudd
Eileen
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars This was such a pleasure to read and enjoy. You follow the low point in David Parsons life, as he loses his horse and has to struggle back up as a tie-down roper working the rodeo circuit. 4 years later he finds his horse again but things are complicated by the owner and his guardian aunt. He's upfront that he wants the horse back but it isn't easy to tear it away from a young man who needs the horse more so than David.
we see him struggle with what to do, what's right for everyone and
Laurie Lamb
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I devoured romances when I was a teenager. Over the years, I drifted away to thrillers. Kari Lynn Dell has brought me back with The Long Ride Home. This story is like that pretty pony in the stable that you give your apple core to instead of your own horse. It's endearing and smart. It gets your attention and holds it. Much like that pony with its earnest expression and tufted pricked ears staring down that apple. But behind those soulful brown eyes is a cunning mind. Kari had me wondering what ...more
Lee Clark
Feb 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Page Turner read!

Kari Lynn Dell has put together a story of romance, of thriller, and of fist throwing mystery that keeps the reader dying to turn to the last chapter to see how it ends. luckily I read it on a kindle and don't know how to perform the task. Does the cowboy get the girl? the author doesn't let you have any idea until she's made you read every sentence in every chapter. Keep writing Kari. can hardly wait for the next one. Recommended to any reader who enjoys personalizing the ch
Linda Grimes
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Long Ride Home was a pure pleasure to read. I grew up in Texas, which means I absorbed an appreciation for rodeos by osmosis. I never participated in one myself (my riding was of a much more subdued sort), but the excitement of reading about them takes me back anyway. I've known (and been thrown off of) a few horses like Muddy in my day, so that struck a chord with me, too. Add to that the touching romance that develops between David and Mary, and I was sucked right in. (And, okay, one of th ...more
Maria
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
- Received an Advance Reader Copy in exchange for a fair review -
“Last Chance Rodeo”, by Kari Lynn Dell, features two people dealing with real, serious issues, reminding us that beyond romance novels and the American Dream there’s a lot of hardships to face and overcome.
I loved both David and Mary as individuals but I didn’t really feel their chemistry as a romantic couple. David is a great hero and the celibacy makes him an even more human and attractive character. Mary is a scarred soul, with
Cathy Geha
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Last Chance Rodeo by Kari Lynn Dell
A Blackfeet Nation Novel #1

David Parsons believes in Karma and it nipped him hard when he put himself first instead of first taking care of his perfect roping horse, Muddy. For four long years he struggled and then one day someone saw Muddy in a rodeo and off he went to claim his horse. Well, that did NOT go as he had expected and again...worried about Karma and how it might nip him again if he didn’t do what was right...he had some tough decisions to make. The
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This is a charming cowboy romance with a few twists that make it both memorable and relatable. The cowboy elements of this story are enjoyable but fairly predictable. What I loved was the beautiful Blackfeet Nation setting, instantly loveable characters and the way complicated topics like Foetal Alcohol Syndrome are addressed with great sensitivity.

David is possibly the least interesting thing about the book. What I loved were h
Veda
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh wow, talk about a book you can't put down, because you might miss something. Kari Lynn Dell has put together a book that will tug at every emotion a person could have. If you love rodeo, teachers, cowboys, indians, horses, a hard life, and love, this book is for you. I felt every emotion reading this book and was left wanting, needing more. All of the different issues that made this book a winner, are all subjects that most people don't want to talk about them.
Jerri
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
David Parsons wins your heart in this one. Muddy gets lost to be found in the arms of a boy that he cannot take from. Sparks fly with the boy's mother. Read to find out how this one evolves. You will not be disappointed in Kari Lynn Dell's resolutions.
Liz
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book by an author new to me in the contemporary romance scene. Different settings of Montana and with a background of both rodeo and the Blackfeet Reservation makes it stand out. Hope the author writes more in this vein but will definitely check on her Texas series.
Book Gannet
4.5 stars! This book was lovely, emotional and sweet. David is adorable – a fine, upstanding young cowboy, who’s been through a lot in the last four years and still feels so much guilt over his failure to take proper care of Muddy. I just loved him and the way he was, not to mention his belief in the rodeo gods looking down on him from above – even if they were mostly laughing at him.

Another thing I really liked about this book was that it really was about rodeo riding. Too often I read books wi
Casey Dawes
Kari Lynn Dell captures the heart and soul of the rez in this debut novel. I taught in Browning for three years, so I'm quite familiar with the problems and beauty of the area. More than a love story between two people, this book shows the true meaning of what family is and how it can grow more inclusive. I loved the realistic interaction between the characters, the details about calf-roping, and the ability to completely immerse myself in that world.
Ali Trotta
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely lovely book. The characters are wonderfully fleshed out, and there's a lot of humor. The relationships are easy to connect to, even to people who have no experience with the horse world. I really loved the backstory of each person, which is slowly revealed. Truly an excellently written book. Looking forward to reading more for Dell.
Caitlyn Lynch
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kari Lynn Dell is a prime example of a good writer telling a genuinely great story by writing what they know, and what Kari Lynn knows is really different to most of the rest of us. Living on the Blackfeet Nation reservation, steeped in the rodeo business since childhood, she tells stories that feel authentic because she doesn’t need to go away and research the things she doesn’t know. She’s sharing what’s in her heart, her love of horses and the rodeo and the truth of the Blackfeet, and it make ...more
Anne
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last Chance Rodeo by Kari Lynn Dell is a cowboy romance with a little more substance and a much lower key romance than normal. David Parsons is a pretty successful calf roper on this way to nationals when his success gets the better of him and he parties, neglecting to get his horse, Muddy, away from the fireworks that totally stress him out. By the time David realizes his mistake and returns to Muddy, the horse is gone and no amount of searching brings him back. Life is not longer good for Davi ...more
WycEd Reader

Check out our Last Chance Rodeo post on Wicked Reads.

Reviews by the Wicked Reads Review Team

Sarah – ☆☆☆☆
This is a charming cowboy romance with a few twists that make it both memorable and relatable. The cowboy elements of this story are enjoyable but fairly predictable. What I loved was the beautiful Blackfeet Nation setting, instantly loveable characters, and the way complicated topics like Foetal Alcohol Syndrome are addressed with great sensitivity.

David is possibly the least interestin
Jen
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! I rarely give a book 5 stars, but I really felt that this book was deserving of that rating. I recently discovered Kari Lynn Dell and after finishing all the Texas Rodeo books, I was anxious to start another series by her.

I didn't realize when I started reading the book that the author was actually a member of the Blackfeet Nation. I knew that the things she wrote about were factual (like how county/state law enforcement doesn't have jurisdiction over tribal law enfor
Paula
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Last Chance Rodeo is the first book I remember readying written by Kari Lynn Dell. I was unprepared for what a page-turner this story would be. It has normal everyday people who I simply fell in love with early on in the story. From the description of the book, a horse is at the center of the story, but that little bit of information does not do the horse in question justice. Muddy is really something, especially the way the author brings this horse to life; full of sass and personality.

David P
Marsha Keeper Bookshelf
Reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

LAST CHANCE RODEO is the first title in the Blackfeet Nation series. It was originally published in February of 2015 under the title THE LONG ROAD HOME. It is possible that you’ve read this one, so check your shelves.

I originally read this story in 2015, and have fond memories of the characters and the situations they found themselves in. Doing a re-read was no chore as it reminded me of the enjoyment of Muddy being reunited with David but at a cost to the teen who so

• Wind River Protector
  • Second Chance Cowboy (Crossroads Ranch, #1)
  • Cowboy Rebel (Longhorn Canyon, #4)
  • Cowboy Strong (Longhorn Canyon, #7)
  • Cowboy Courage (Longhorn Canyon, #6)
  • Cowboy Honor (Longhorn Canyon, #2)
  • To Tame a Wild Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #7)
  • Cowboy Charming (Holiday, Texas #3)
  • Cold Heart, Warm Cowboy (Cold River Ranch, #2)
  • Cowboy Christmas Homecoming (Dark Horse Cowboys, #4)
  • Cowboy Come Home  (Once Upon a Time in Texas, #2)
  • Christmas with a Cowboy (Longhorn Canyon, #5)
  • A Dash of Christmas (Montgomery Brothers)
  • Wind River Undercover
  • Jackson (The McBrides of Texas #1; Eternity Springs #16)
  • Lone Wolf Cowboy (Gold Valley, #7)
  • Big Chance Cowboy (Big Chance Dog Rescue, #1)
  • Cowboy Up (Dry Creek Ranch #1)
Kari Lynn Dell is a native of north central Montana, a third generation ranch-raised cowgirl, horse trainer and rodeo competitor, most recently the 2017 Canadian Senior Pro Rodeo Breakaway Roping season champion. She attended her first rodeo at two weeks old and has existed in a state of horse-induced poverty ever since. She currently resides on the family ranch on the Blackfeet Reservation, loite ...more

News & Interviews