Start by marking “The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar” as Want to Read:
The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

If you could see with your eyes closed...Would you use your power for good or for personal gain? The life story of The Man Who Could See Without His Eyes, inspires Henry Sugar with a wonderful idea. Such an amazing ability could allow Henry to cheat at cards! Henry undertakes years of training to achieve this remarkable feat and promptly uses his new power to win, and win ...more
Audio CD, 72 pages
Published June 13th 2006 by HarperFestival (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar

Start your review of The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar
Matt
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Mariah Roze
For this end of the month buddy read, I agreed to another Roald Dahl classic, though not one I have ever attempted before. This is a story within a story, which adds additional layers in its telling and the review. Henry Sugar is a wealthy and extremely egocentric man who gambles every chance he gets. While perusing the private library of an acquaintance, Sugar comes across a school tablet containing the summary of an interview with Imhrat Khan, an Indian man with a special talent. As Sugar read ...more
Hirdesh
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awe- Inspiring !
Fantastic ! !
Highly recommended to everyone ! !
Shreya Karnati
I listened to the audiobook version of the book and the pronunciation of some of the words(places and names in India) was annoying. Other than that the story was pretty interesting. I am glad that Henry Sugar was able to use his gift for good rather than personal gain. The story within the story was interesting.
Wise Fool
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Beautiful story about a money hungry cheating man, who finds a little book and soon learns how to obtain powers of a yogi!
This is a story within a story also, as the book he finds also gets elaborated on!
As always from Mr. Dahl, it's a beautifully told story with an unexpected ending!
ENJOY!
Amanda Williams
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Roald Dahl...his stories never disappoint!
Purvi
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Intriguing, secretive and of the characters full of Morale!
Shahzad Suleman
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Finished reading and listening #thewonderfulstoryofhenrysugar by #roalddahl narrated by #martinjarvis with children.

If you could see with your eyes closed, how would you use your power? That’s what Henry has to decide in "The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar."

This famous tale is actually a story-within-a-story-within-a-story-within-a-story.

With Roald Dahl, you can never be sure where reality ends and fantasy begins.
Sheila Burke
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was absolutely wonderful story. It was well-written, well-paced, and super creative. Very entertaining, this story kept my attention all the way through. And as with most Roald Dahl books that I've read, well worth the time spent to read.
Ambrosia Aiyren
I am starting to think I'm not a fan of Roald Dahl - except for the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory / Fantasic Mr Fox stories. And Matilda.
Tam
May 31, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Hmmm. Def. not a kid's book, and it keep me interested and yet, not much happened. Essentially a vapid young doctor who loves gambling meets a yogi in India who can see through things and decides to study so that he can bet on cards and always win. 3 years later he gets to that point and wins big money only to find it's kind of a hollow victory and takes great pains to use his powers for good for many years, essentially ripping off casinos and helping orphans. It's kind of two stories. He recoun ...more
Shaz
Jan 07, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020
A very cute story. Roald Dahl's writing style is as charismatic as ever.
Reem
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful short story that kept me interested till the very end.
Narrated excellently by Martin Jarvis
Leah Weyandt
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspired by a real life Pakistani mystic Kuda Bux who claimed to see without his eyes, Dahl weaves a truly "wonderful" and heartening story within a story within a story.
Vianey Rodriguez
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I came upon this by chance and was not expecting it to follow the path it did.
At first I thought that Henry Sugar would not succeed in his attempts due to his selfishness, but when he did and noticed the change that it had made in him, I thought that maybe that was the reason he was the one in a million.
Heather
Mar 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-ya
We just finished listening to this story on two CDs. Other reviewers mention other stories in this collection, but Henry Sugar is all that we got. It was shelved with other juvenile literature, and the picture on the cover looks humorous and inviting for kids, but it really did not turn out to be a kid's story at all. Not that it contained anything offensive or bad. However, a story about a rich, bored adult who wants to gamble and cheat at cards, men searching for yoga powers, and the documenta ...more
LadyS
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great story. Roald Dahl is a beloved childhood author. I was happy to discover that he also wrote books for mature audiences. It allowed fans to see another application of Dahl's mind. This story was curious and adventurous. Its about an Hindu who developed extraordinary powers. Henry Sugar learned of these powers and developed it himself at first to gamble. Afterwards, Henry realizes the emptiness of his original idea and decides to use his advantage to help children.
Yuna Low
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was mysterious. It was interesting when there was a story in the story. The story was realistic. It made me want to read more of the story. I even thought of being a person who can see without its eyes.

Henry Sugar was a rich person who went to his friend's house for gambling. But he was kicked out, so he went to the library and found a book written by a doctor. This was the story of the story. And it was about a man who can see without its eyes.
Hilary
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
Roald Dahl wrote for a variety of ages. Some, like Danny the Champion of the World or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, are for the youngest readers; others, like Going Solo and Tales of the Unexpected are for adults, and then the rest fall somewhere in the middle. This is for slightly older children, later end of elementary, but still entertaining for adults, and somewhat different in tone and plot. The magic, the sense of slightly surreal/suspended reality, and the narrator are still there, a ...more
Adrienne
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Firstly, to introduce this book its a story about a 40 year old man who loves to gumble and is greedy about money he wants to win all the time also he is a quite a hot tempered man. Then one day he was invited on a friends house to gumble but removed because the game should only have 4 people and he was the fifth. He then wondered in his friends library and found this intriguing book about a man who could see without his eyes and so on. What i like about this story is the moral lesson also how i ...more
K
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This short tale gives a wonderful "Arabian nights" feeling.
The story within the stories and the way the fates of the characters across time and culture are intertwined was inspiring and heart touching.
I listened to this read by Martin Jarvis and I can only say he adds an incredible flavor to the words, I felt every character as if they were real people.

I often look for reviews that explain some plot points or general direction of what I'm about to read, just to sense if I am going to be fully
Marie
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Listened to the first half of this on audiobook in the car after we visited Mohegan Sun - going to the casino reminded us of Henry Sugar. The audiobook is read by Andrew Scott & a lot of fun! Then came home and read the rest.

The book itself is—god, I don't even know. Some of the stories are just funny (Andrew Scott does a particularly good job on the voices with the Hitchhiker), but some of them are incredibly fucked up, especially the Swan. Extra credit goes to Piece of Cake, which is the first
Kumari de Silva
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you never read a grownup story by Dahl I suggest starting with this one. Some of his adult stories have very awful twist endings and read sort of like Twilight Zone episodes. And some seem so incredibly despairing, stories about people who suffer unbearable cruelties.

While the main character to this story IS a narcissistic jerk, the framing is unique: a story within a story within a story full of unique and thoughtful details. It really caught me as irresistible from the first page. Had to r
Tammy
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The idea of people having more than five senses was introduced to me in one of Steven Hawking’s books. Long into the future I think we’ll become aware and master some of them.

Dahl has written a suspenseful story within a story about a man learning to master the sense of sight without using his eyes. In a way the last half of the book became a story of redemption. His heart changed from one of greed to one of social sympathy and philanthropy. I enjoyed the dedication he and his friend had toward
Leah
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read some of Roald Dahl's works when i was in primary school, James and the giant Peach, Charlie and the Glass elevator i could not recall much about his writing.
I must say i really enjoyed this story it made me realise just how great Roald Dahl was as an author. He constracted such an engaging story from the begining to the end. The story of Mr Henry Sugar is indeed wonderful. At one point i thought is this story about the yogi master as that part of the story seemed to take up quite a hugh
Raegan   Ralls
I finally got to hear this story! Been wanting to since I was in Elementary school and never got to it. It is a story within a story, which I usually don't like. I loved the writing style and all its quirks. I liked Henry Sugar and his character development. Definitely going to be one of my favorites for a long time. It had a magic to it and was very interesting. I listened to the audiobook in one go. The narrator is perfect for this story. Overall, it is a story with great flow and captivating ...more
Valerie Kyriosity
This one was...odd...and not very believable. I mean, it's Roald Dahl, so it's not supposed to be believable, but some disbeliefs are harder to willingly suspend than others, and the disbelief in the ability of human nature to be anything but human nature is a tough one for me. I just couldn't buy the main character given what we're told about him, so the story rang about as true as a bell does after an encounter with a particularly enthusiastic steamroller.

Reader, however, was quite good.
Juliana
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roald Dahl is one of a kind. I’m yet to find a (children’s) story by this man that isn’t interesting, gripping, funny and a bit scary at the same time.

Henry Sugar is an ordinary man who trains his brain into seeing through cards (an ability that comes in handy if you want to make tons of money in casinos). But maybe being rich isn’t enough for Henry. So, what’s next?

Let yourself fall in love with this brat. You won’t regret it.
Jo
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second Roald Dahl book I think I have ever read. Matilda is my first & my all time favourite book ever.

I thought the story was pretty good. It was a quick, relatively fast pace story. I am left a bit 'eh' about it to be fair.

Not sure if I will actually read another of his book to be honest. I just have such high expectations and love for his writing and for Matilda and I just don't want to loose that or be disappointed by that.
Maria Portela
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" is amazing, "Matilda" is also wonderful, so needless to say that I was hopping this book would not disappoint, which it didn't.

The story of Henry Sugar actually ends up being a few stories rolled up into one, each of them very creative and entertaining, creating a tale that is a perfect blend of reality and fantasy. A wonderful audiobook with a gripping plot and a great narrator.
Tijana
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“The secret of life', he said, 'is to become very very good at somethin' that's very very 'ard to do.”

The only reason I started listening to this book was because I have so much schoolwork piled up on my back that I can't even think about reading something a bit more complex at the moment. That being said, I absolutely loved listening to this book during my study breaks. It was interesting and easy to follow all at the same time.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Sherlock Holmes: The Rediscovered Railway Mysteries and Other Stories
  • The Magic Shop
  • The Star
  • The Beggar
  • The Case of the Perfect Maid: A Short Story
  • The Unexpected Guest: A Play In Two Acts
  • Dead Man's Mirror (Hercule Poirot)
  • The Harlequin Tea Set: A Short Story (Harley Quin)
  • The Wisdom of Psychopaths: What Saints, Spies, and Serial Killers Can Teach Us About Success
  • My Old Man
  • Freedom in Exile: The Autobiography of the Dalai Lama
  • Carmela Full of Wishes
  • Spanked By The Teacher: Older Woman Younger Man, Discipline, Spanking, BDSM Erotic Fiction
  • The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
  • The Crystal Egg
  • The Trouble with Perfect (Perfect, #2)
  • Än lever Emil i Lönneberga