Start by marking “Drink” as Want to Read:
Drink

Drink

Published February 2015 by BlazeVOX

To ask other readers questions about Drink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drink

Octavia Cade
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Really quite lovely, although it's painful reading in parts. It's part meditation on mermaids, part exploration of the consequences of alcoholism, and each of the sections informs the other. A study in symbols, essentially, and of the things that bind them together.

I recently read another of Wiseman's books ("Wake") and in a way I wish I'd read this one first, as gives background to the other; explains it a little more I think.

Dennis
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Book Review of Laura Madeline Wiseman’s DRINK (BlazeVOX [Books] 2015)
by Dennis Etzel, Jr.

Fairy tales come from dark places within cultures, passed down from generation to generation, retold and revised, and functions to help an audience to cope with tragedy and humanity’s dark sides. Laura Madeline Wiseman wonderfully refreshes the fairy tale’s function in her new collection of poems titled Drink. “Drink” not only operates as verb and noun, but, alongside mermaids as we enter the underwater w
Chels
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
I devoured this book of poetry in one setting. I probably shouldn't have, but I couldn't stop myself. It was horrifically sad. It read more like a story, which let me get into it easier, since I don't enjoy reading poetry. The book kept a heavy cloud on my heart and throat as I read it. It wasn't for me, but it would probably be better in the hands of a poet.
Csimplot Simplot
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book!!!
Laura Wiseman
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
DRINK (BlazeVOX) explores the mercurial myths of mermaids, nautical lore of drift bottles, and unmapped beach parties at the Pacific, to questions the changeable stories we tell of water, those connected to plane disappearances, downed ships, lost girls, and forgotten lives. Drink seeks to understand what terrorizes us, be they forgotten messages, murdered sisters, or women living in water.

Witty, sad, tragic, and magical, the poems in Drink both rewrite myths of the sea and present a harrowing v
Andrea Blythe
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
As half-women, the mythical mermaids that swim and roll through the first third of Laura Madeline Wiseman’s Drink, call up the murky waters of teenage life. They are young women straddling two worlds, caught in the dreamy underwater quality of youth while looking forward to womanhood. The mermaids are “mercurial,” always on the verge of transformation in the same way teenagers exist in a constant state of flux, almost daily changing into new versions of themselves. They “change with the stories ...more
Marilyn
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book, as an Advance Readers Copy, and devoured it in one sitting.
It was raw, reaching and real.
The scope of the book, dealing with plane crashes, mermaids,
drinking, bottle collections, relationships,
a horrible childhood and suicide
all were put together in a read that totally grabbed me and made me want more.
I totally recommend this amazing book, Drink.
Robert Vaughan
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Everything water, taken from seascapes, this washed through me with deep imagery, and sustenance. Not a fan of Mermaids per se, but this talented, wise poet turns me on to them and their mighty forces as I never thought I would ever be. Stunning work.
Sandy Hill
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
amazing.stunning, just wonderfully done.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
  • Hum
  • God Went to Beauty School
  • Glimmerglass Girl
  • Full Woman, Fleshly Apple, Hot Moon: Selected Poems
Laura Madeline Wiseman's latest books are Velocipede, published by Stephen F. Austin State University Press and Through A Certain Forest published by BlazeVOX [books]. Her collaboratively written chapbook with Andrea Blythe, Every Girl Becomes the Wolf is forthcoming from Finishing Line Press.

She is also the author of the full length collections of poetry An Apparently Impossible Adventure (Blaze