Start by marking “Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)” as Want to Read:
Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)

Salvation in Death

(In Death #27)

Seconds after partaking of wine during a Catholic funeral mass, Father Miguel Flores is dead on the altar. Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained enough potassium cyanide to kill a rhino. And though the East Harlem neighborhood is a long way from the stone mansion she shares with her billionaire husband Roarke, it’s the holiness flying ...more
Published 2008 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Salvation in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbNew York to Dallas by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
33 books — 70 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,632 books — 6,924 voters

More lists with this book...

Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
This is my second read of this book although I did not review it the first time round. I gave it five stars on that read and this time I had to think about all those stars because I had a few small issues.

It seemed a very long book and it took me longer than usual to read. I think the main reason was that it spent a lot of time discussing who did what and why and there were so many characters involved in this. On the other hand we got to see a lot of Eve and Roarke’s emotions and beliefs and tha
Hulya Kara Yuksel
"Salvation in Death" was 27th book in this series and I have 21 books more to read now or maybe they can be more than that in the future because J.D.Robb still continue to write this series... And I really hope she writes at least 100 books because seriously I'm addicted to this series. So yeah, I'm okay with this idea and I don't mind more Eve & Roarke. :)

Normally I don't prefer to read long series or crime/mystery books too but I can safely say this series changed my mind about this genre
Mo
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think sometimes the books have a few too many characters and suspects thrown at you and my eyes kinda glaze over and I lose interest a bit ... "a bit", I said. Not completely. A priest is murdered while saying a funeral mass and his death leaves a lot of stones unturned.

She wondered if there was a particular saint she could hit up for enough patience to get through this interview without screaming.

There is a patron saint for everything, Eve. Trust me. religion was drummed into me for years.
♥Sharon♥
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

No time for a proper review but....

I do believe I now 1/2 way through this series. Crazy to think I have 27 more to go!!!

Another great read. I enjoyed the beginning, my mind wondered a bit in the middle, but the ending was solid. How J.D. comes up with these storylines I'll never know.

Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Holy moly. I'm not sure how J.D. Robb continues to write such consistently fabulous stories about Eve and Roarke, but she's done it again with "Salvation in Death".

This time the victim is a Priest! And he was killed via the sacrament during a funeral mass. Into this holy mess (HAHA) steps Eve the cop. Musing her way through a mass (!) of subjects while trying not to step on too many toes ("I never genuflect in public.") Eve soon discovers the dead priest was not really a priest. The threads for
Alex ♈
Suspense 4 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

A catholic priest is murdered during a funeral mass. Was he a man of God? Many unexpected twists. As always brilliant written. But toward the end there were so many names, so many new side characters, I couldn't quite follow.

Roarke and Eve make a great team.

"You married a cop. You married me. I’m your goddamn salvation."
"My salvation, are you?" He caught her around the waist, yanked her in. "And what would I be to you then?"
"I guess you’re mine, pal. And if I
Ira
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Btw Ms. Roberts,
Is Peabody an obese?
She keep eat, eat eat like a pig!
That tantrum about not having breakfast and stuff herself with rubbish all the time it really is disgusting:(
I don't want her to be skinny model and very healthy like Eve, but please don't make her keep stuffing herself with those rubbish junks!

And that tantrum about food, please!!!!
LJ
SALVATION IN DEATH (Pol. Proc-Eve Dallas-New York City- Future/2060) - VG
Robb, J. D. (aka Nora Roberts) – 28th in series
Putnam, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399155222

First Sentence: At the mass of the dead, the priest placed the wafer of unleavened bread and the cheap red wine on the linen corporal draping the alter.

Performing communion can be deadly. At least it was to the priest officiating at a funeral service. One sip of from the chalice and he is dead.

One other small problem; as Eve inve
Joseph Young
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists
Midway through the book, the main character thinks about some lawyer, "Does this guy really want to be a cliche?" and I thought, "Why not? Everyone else in this book is."

I don't know if the audio version makes it worse, but almost all the characters in the book were cliches. The main character, while slightly more fleshed out, is unlikable to me, as she seems to be a power-tripping asshole who somehow justifies it by having been a victim at one point in her life. She is never wrong as a detectiv
Catherine
I can't seem to stop reading this series, and it's driving me nuts! The series really started well with nice character development in an inventive futuristic world, but the characters of late have just fallen into this formulaic routine...they need to grow more. Unfortunately, this book, in particular, lacked the interaction with many of the minor characters...definitely a step in the wrong direction...less character evolution. I'm starting to think that the author of "more than 150 novels" shou ...more
Catherine
Started out slow but eventually picked up. Good but not great but it def had its moments.
Mei
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Well, what to say? This woman is a genius!

Another wonderful mystery, this time involving the catholic priest!

And, Eve, being Eve doesn't know anything about religions!!!

”Be on time. The doctor doesn’t have time to wait.” (Mira’s assistant)
“Like I sit around and play mahjong all frigging day..” (Eve)
“What is mahjong, exactly? (Peabody)
“How the hell do I know? Am I playing it?” (Eve)

“Who put the wine I the cup and the…” What the hell did she call it? Coocie? Cracker? (Eve)
“Host.” (Father Lope
Ann Lou
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A catholic priest is murdered while performing a funeral mass.  The cup of blood is laced with cyanide and poisoned him.  The question now is why and who could have done such a thing?

Another solid read and I have to admit I experienced a lot of cross eyed moments when there were so many names introduced it was hard to keep up. I found myself asking who is s/he again?

As usual Eve is being her badass and kickass self. " I don't get it. Scratch, bite, squeal, slap. Why do women fight like that? W
Venus Blancia
I will always remember the plot with this convo.
“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Roarke: You'd be jumpy, too, if I asked you things that make you feel the hot breath of hell at your back.

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
Steve
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, in-death
This romp through New York of a imagined future started very slowly, then took a left turn, which surprised me, but then got right back on track with plot twists and turns to keep me guessing. The climax was rather delicious, and it hit me hard when I worked out the reason for the title of the book. The resolution was a nice touch, but I would have preferred to read a little more about what happened.
Joy
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Two religious leaders have died of poison while leading church services. Is someone targeting high-profile hypocrites, or are the deaths even related? I enjoyed the characterizations. Especially interesting is Eve's investigation of the priest's background; and she gets a permanent friend out of it.

Read 3 times, listened one time
Beth
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
J.D. Robb, a.k.a Nora Roberts, does not write great literature.

But she writes a ripping good story.

The year is 2060, and a Catholic priest has been murdered as he performs a Mass of the Dead.

And you just won't believe what happens next!

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, NYC homicide detective, is a tireless champion for the victims of crime.

Once again, Eve finds out "who done it," while struggling with her own demons.

Eve is smart, and sassy, and in love with her rich/gorgeous husband Roarke.

Every so often,
Lauren
Salvation in Death
4.5 Stars

While the character development in this series is excellent and the interactions between Eve & Roarke and the rest of the gang are wonderful, it is the mysteries that truly capture me as a plot driven reader.

The storyline in this installment is rather convoluted with numerous characters and plot twists to keep track of. That said, the nature of the crimes and the revelations concerning the victim are very enjoyable. In fact, the victim is one of the most intriguin
Patrick
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
New to JD Robb so I may have to get a bit more familiar before I rate 4-5. I enjoyed the NY setting and the perpetual gang references coupled with lessons relative to the Catholic faith. I'm not totally sold on Detective Eve Dallas yet but it will probably come in time. I'm more used to Lisa Gardner's DD Warren and Karin Slaughter's Will Trent and Faith Mitchell.
Anyway she had me stumped until the last few chapters...moving onto another Coulter novel 'Insidious'. Will hopefully have a fuller gra
Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑
Another great book in the series. I really love Eve and Roarke and all the characters. I love how the series has grown and how Eve is learning to be a friend, wife, daughter, aunt. So much for her to emotionalize. (I am sure I just made that word up).
Kjen
Just did a re-read...Really love Eve and Roarke in this one. They are very "married" but so many good parts and lines. The car sex was hot and hilarious! One of my new favorite quotes/exchanges...Roarke: "I'm often better than I think I am." Eve: "No one's as good as you think you are." Love it!
Varied Books
Jan 08, 2018 marked it as on-kindle-to-read
1/8/18 Ammy $1.99
obsessedwithbooks
J.D. Robb's latest paperback release Salvation in Death was a bit of a disappointment for me. I thought the storyline was rushed and not as well-rounded as past efforts in the series.

*************
Holy communion spells death for Fr. Miguel Flores, a popular Catholic priest in New York City's Spanish Harlem, after he swallows wine laced with cyanide during a funeral in bestseller Robb's unusually introspective 27th crime thriller to feature Lt. Eve Dallas (after Strangers in Death). The ensuing ho
Anna Francesca
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I adore this series the way I adore peanut butter cups-- they might not be nutritious, but boy are they yummy! While there are some two-dimensional "extras", the main characters are well-defined. I found the examination of religion and moral ambiguity in this book to bring a greater depth to this volume than some of the other Eve Dallas novels. If I could, I would give it 4 1/2 stars, and I would recommend it to any of my friends mature enough to deal with a degree of non-gratuitous violence and ...more
Kathryn
Another excellent book in this series. Eve again proves her care and compassion to stand for the dead, it doesn't matter how far back. And she knows how to reel in someone who thinks she has got away with it. Loved her reception of a cake that set of a new train of thought. Her foray into a murder in the Catholic church brings her to meet a priest that she is able to question and show her theology is pretty good too. It's not all about rules!
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I like this book for so many reasons, the emotions and conflicts of emotions throughout the book. Digging deeper into Eve and Roarke's beliefs or their questioning beliefs.

2 separate storylines linked together by method of murder!

No spoilers here!

2 thumbs up and 5 stars!
Lyndi W.
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star
Twisty turvy plot that somehow all made sense in the end. I gave this 3 stars when I first read it (holy shit) exactly three years ago today, but I'm leaning closer to 4 stars this time, so I'm bumping up the rating.
Aly is so frigging bored
1st read 22-26 September 2013

2nd read 11 March - 10 April 2016
Yigal Zur
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
great thriller. unpredicteble, twists. good one
Somia
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
3 Mild Stars
This started somewhat slow for me but the pace did pick up. My attention was really gained just after the half way mark, which is when I enjoyed the story/plot much more.

Overall an ok addition to the series, but not one I see myself re-reading. The characters killed and some of those involved with those who were killed were slight clichés. I also felt that the secondary characters that appear throughout the series were missing from this one – we mostly get Eve and Roarke (who still
  • Twice the Temptation (Samantha Jellicoe, #4)
  • Private Scandals
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Into the Fire (Troubleshooters, #13)
  • Hades
  • Mad Lizard Mambo (Kai Gracen, #2)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6; Evil #3)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 49 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
153 likes
“Statues are too much like dolls, and dolls are creepy. You keep expecting them to blink. And the ones that smile, like this?" Eve kept her lips tight together and she curved them up. "You know they've got teeth in there. Big, sharp, shiny teeth."

I didn't. But now I've got to worry about it.”
123 likes