Start by marking “Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)” as Want to Read:
Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)

Salvation in Death

(In Death #27)

Seconds after partaking of wine during a Catholic funeral mass, Father Miguel Flores is dead on the altar. Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained enough potassium cyanide to kill a rhino. And though the East Harlem neighborhood is a long way from the stone mansion she shares with her billionaire husband Roarke, it’s the holiness flying ...more
Published 2008 by Piatkus

To ask other readers questions about Salvation in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation in Death

Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbNew York to Dallas by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
37 books — 75 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
1,677 books — 6,946 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Salvation in Death (In Death, #27)
Phrynne
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books
This is my second read of this book although I did not review it the first time round. I gave it five stars on that read and this time I had to think about all those stars because I had a few small issues.

It seemed a very long book and it took me longer than usual to read. I think the main reason was that it spent a lot of time discussing who did what and why and there were so many characters involved in this. On the other hand we got to see a lot of Eve and Roarke’s emotions and beliefs and tha
Hulya Kara Yuksel
"Salvation in Death" was 27th book in this series and I have 21 books more to read now or maybe they can be more than that in the future because J.D.Robb still continue to write this series... And I really hope she writes at least 100 books because seriously I'm addicted to this series. So yeah, I'm okay with this idea and I don't mind more Eve & Roarke. :)

Normally I don't prefer to read long series or crime/mystery books too but I can safely say this series changed my mind about this genre. St
Mo
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think sometimes the books have a few too many characters and suspects thrown at you and my eyes kinda glaze over and I lose interest a bit ... "a bit", I said. Not completely. A priest is murdered while saying a funeral mass and his death leaves a lot of stones unturned.

She wondered if there was a particular saint she could hit up for enough patience to get through this interview without screaming.

There is a patron saint for everything, Eve. Trust me. religion was drummed into me for year
♥Sharon♥
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it

No time for a proper review but....

I do believe I now 1/2 way through this series. Crazy to think I have 27 more to go!!!

Another great read. I enjoyed the beginning, my mind wondered a bit in the middle, but the ending was solid. How J.D. comes up with these storylines I'll never know.

Julie (jjmachshev)
Nov 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
Holy moly. I'm not sure how J.D. Robb continues to write such consistently fabulous stories about Eve and Roarke, but she's done it again with "Salvation in Death".

This time the victim is a Priest! And he was killed via the sacrament during a funeral mass. Into this holy mess (HAHA) steps Eve the cop. Musing her way through a mass (!) of subjects while trying not to step on too many toes ("I never genuflect in public.") Eve soon discovers the dead priest was not really a priest. The threads for
Alex ♈
Suspense 4 stars / Romance 4.5 stars

A catholic priest is murdered during a funeral mass. Was he a man of God? Many unexpected twists. As always brilliant written. But toward the end there were so many names, so many new side characters, I couldn't quite follow.

Roarke and Eve make a great team.

"You married a cop. You married me. I’m your goddamn salvation."
"My salvation, are you?" He caught her around the waist, yanked her in. "And what would I be to you then?"
"I guess you’re mine, pal. And i
Ira
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.

Btw Ms. Roberts,
Is Peabody an obese?
She keep eat, eat eat like a pig!
That tantrum about not having breakfast and stuff herself with rubbish all the time it really is disgusting:(
I don't want her to be skinny model and very healthy like Eve, but please don't make her keep stuffing herself with those rubbish junks!

And that tantrum about food, please!!!!
LJ
SALVATION IN DEATH (Pol. Proc-Eve Dallas-New York City- Future/2060) - VG
Robb, J. D. (aka Nora Roberts) – 28th in series
Putnam, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780399155222

First Sentence: At the mass of the dead, the priest placed the wafer of unleavened bread and the cheap red wine on the linen corporal draping the alter.

Performing communion can be deadly. At least it was to the priest officiating at a funeral service. One sip of from the chalice and he is dead.

One other small problem; as Eve inve
Joseph Young
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: masochists
Midway through the book, the main character thinks about some lawyer, "Does this guy really want to be a cliche?" and I thought, "Why not? Everyone else in this book is."

I don't know if the audio version makes it worse, but almost all the characters in the book were cliches. The main character, while slightly more fleshed out, is unlikable to me, as she seems to be a power-tripping asshole who somehow justifies it by having been a victim at one point in her life. She is never wrong as a detectiv
Diane
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I like this book for so many reasons, the emotions and conflicts of emotions throughout the book. Digging deeper into Eve and Roarke's beliefs or their questioning beliefs.

2 separate storylines linked together by method of murder!

From the blurb: When Detective Lieutenant Eve Dallas confirms that the consecrated wine contained potassium cyanide, she's determined to solve the murder of Father Miguel Flores, despite her discomfort with her surroundings. It's not the bodegas and pawnshops of East Ha
Catherine
Started out slow but eventually picked up. Good but not great but it def had its moments.
Mei
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
Well, what to say? This woman is a genius!

Another wonderful mystery, this time involving the catholic priest!

And, Eve, being Eve doesn't know anything about religions!!!

”Be on time. The doctor doesn’t have time to wait.” (Mira’s assistant)
“Like I sit around and play mahjong all frigging day..” (Eve)
“What is mahjong, exactly? (Peabody)
“How the hell do I know? Am I playing it?” (Eve)

“Who put the wine I the cup and the…” What the hell did she call it? Coocie? Cracker? (Eve)
“Host.” (Father
Christa
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The one where Eve investigates the public murder of a priest at a funeral.

This wasn’t a favorite. It took a while to get through. I did enjoy the fact there was a copy cat killer and Eve caught on to it very quickly. But I was surprised at the killer.

Eve and Roarke continue to be lovely.

Eve smiled at him over another bite. “You’re looking with cop’s eyes.”
“It’s rude to insult me when I’m buying you dinner.”
Ann Lou
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A catholic priest is murdered while performing a funeral mass.  The cup of blood is laced with cyanide and poisoned him.  The question now is why and who could have done such a thing?

Another solid read and I have to admit I experienced a lot of cross eyed moments when there were so many names introduced it was hard to keep up. I found myself asking who is s/he again?

As usual Eve is being her badass and kickass self. " I don't get it. Scratch, bite, squeal, slap. Why do women fight like that? W
Catherine
I can't seem to stop reading this series, and it's driving me nuts! The series really started well with nice character development in an inventive futuristic world, but the characters of late have just fallen into this formulaic routine...they need to grow more. Unfortunately, this book, in particular, lacked the interaction with many of the minor characters...definitely a step in the wrong direction...less character evolution. I'm starting to think that the author of "more than 150 novels" shou ...more
Venus Blancia
I will always remember the plot with this convo.
“Eve: What is it about asking you Catholic questions that gets you all jumpy?

Roarke: You'd be jumpy, too, if I asked you things that make you feel the hot breath of hell at your back.

Eve: You're not going to hell.

Roarke: Oh, and have you got some inside intel on that?

Eve: You married a cop...you married me. I'm your goddamn salvation.”
Steve
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, in-death
This romp through New York of a imagined future started very slowly, then took a left turn, which surprised me, but then got right back on track with plot twists and turns to keep me guessing. The climax was rather delicious, and it hit me hard when I worked out the reason for the title of the book. The resolution was a nice touch, but I would have preferred to read a little more about what happened.
Joy
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Two religious leaders have died of poison while leading church services. Is someone targeting high-profile hypocrites, or are the deaths even related? I enjoyed the characterizations. Especially interesting is Eve's investigation of the priest's background; and she gets a permanent friend out of it.

Read 3 times, listened one time
Mara
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook-owned
Eh, pretty middle of the road. It had its moments, but wow do the seasons of casual, petty abuses of police power not age well. I did appreciate the themes in this one Re: faith
Irene Sim
The turn this story took had me really disappointed. I strongly hopped, just for once, that the good would prevail upon the bad and that one can see the "light of God" and change his ways... Well, I might read too many romances - as a friend of mine always blames me for being optimistic - but in real life things rarely turn good in the end...

As for the story, it had too many characters for once, a side plot that was a dead end and it had Eve and Roarke smoothly co-existing and collaborating for
Beth
Nov 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
J.D. Robb, a.k.a Nora Roberts, does not write great literature.

But she writes a ripping good story.

The year is 2060, and a Catholic priest has been murdered as he performs a Mass of the Dead.

And you just won't believe what happens next!

Lieutenant Eve Dallas, NYC homicide detective, is a tireless champion for the victims of crime.

Once again, Eve finds out "who done it," while struggling with her own demons.

Eve is smart, and sassy, and in love with her rich/gorgeous husband Roarke.

Every so often,
Kirsten
This is one of the better In Death books. It's really a lot of fun and has plenty of Roarke. (Including some scenes of uncomfortable Roarke.) It's fun to see how defensive he gets when she assumes he knows all about Catholicism.

The bits with the evangelical pastor are great too. Especially with the delightful narration/performance of Susan Ericksen. Well worth the reread!
Yigal Zur
Sep 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
great thriller. unpredicteble, twists. good one
You'd think it doesn't get much more shocking than a Catholic priest keeling over in the middle of a funeral service after drinking cyanide laced consecrated wine but when Eve starts digging a little deeper into his life things take an even darker turn. It turns out that Father Miguel Flores isn't Father Miguel Flores at all. As far as Eve can figure out someone stole his identity approximately 5 years ago, but why would anyone want to impersonate a priest? What could they possibly have to gain ...more
Lena
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
04-C89168-07-B1-4079-9-DBC-C09-D436-C8-B88
A convoluted decades long con, old crimes, lovers betrayal, and murder, oh yes murder. Eve can cut through all the religion to find the covetous, greedy, sinners.
Wendy
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this 27th book in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series!
Lauren
Salvation in Death
4.5 Stars

While the character development in this series is excellent and the interactions between Eve & Roarke and the rest of the gang are wonderful, it is the mysteries that truly capture me as a plot driven reader.

The storyline in this installment is rather convoluted with numerous characters and plot twists to keep track of. That said, the nature of the crimes and the revelations concerning the victim are very enjoyable. In fact, the victim is one of the most intriguing in
Patrick
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
New to JD Robb so I may have to get a bit more familiar before I rate 4-5. I enjoyed the NY setting and the perpetual gang references coupled with lessons relative to the Catholic faith. I'm not totally sold on Detective Eve Dallas yet but it will probably come in time. I'm more used to Lisa Gardner's DD Warren and Karin Slaughter's Will Trent and Faith Mitchell.
Anyway she had me stumped until the last few chapters...moving onto another Coulter novel 'Insidious'. Will hopefully have a fuller gra
Kjen
Just did a re-read...Really love Eve and Roarke in this one. They are very "married" but so many good parts and lines. The car sex was hot and hilarious! One of my new favorite quotes/exchanges...Roarke: "I'm often better than I think I am." Eve: "No one's as good as you think you are." Love it!
Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑
Another great book in the series. I really love Eve and Roarke and all the characters. I love how the series has grown and how Eve is learning to be a friend, wife, daughter, aunt. So much for her to emotionalize. (I am sure I just made that word up).

• Hideaway
  • Hot Rocks
  • Musket Ball Murder (Merry Wrath Mysteries Book 14)
  • Under Currents
  • Honest Illusions
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Firing Point (Jack Ryan Universe,  #29)
  • Nightshade (Night Tales, #3)
  • Three Fates
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Credible Threat (Ali Reynolds, #15)
  • Balance of Power
  • Vampire Trinity (Vampire Queen, #6)
  • Captivated (The Donovan Legacy, #1)
  • Rules of the Game
  • Single Dad Matchmate (Special Bear Protectors, #2)
  • Dance to the Piper (The O'Hurleys, #2)
  • Without a Trace (The O'Hurleys, #4)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 52 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)